Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JagGator posted:

Is it just me, or do the repeatable missions in the new PvE event have variable difficulty?

Example: The mission "Family Reunion IX" has level 200 guys in it right now for me, which is right after I beat it with level 240 guys in it, and the first time I don't remember exactly what they were but I know it was lower than 200.

Yeah, they go up. I also have somehow (Patch, that's how) been able to beat level 140 guys with my lvl30, 1-star guys. Of course, a single special attack from them kills me but with some luck I can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
What's the strategy with these side missions? In the hunts I had a lot of success just completing them as late as I could, but I'd like to know if there's anything more to it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Boosted Bag-Man yeaaah! Now we'll see if he's still useless. :v:

Oh don't worry, he is. Although I got quite a bit of use out of that Countdown increasing skill. On the first mission and it would have been better to just stick Thor in, of course.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Call Me Charlie posted:

The difficulty goes up and the reward drops down on each one you beat.

The difficulty drops back down if you lose too. Replay a mission with a team of trash 1 stars and immediately retreat.

It seems to globally drop the missions with a loss but losing two of the same one in a row doesn't give you a second drop. Switching to another mission seems to give you the second drop though.

Just got all mine back to trivial / easy so getting all the 500 iso rewards should be pretty easy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So this event has subevents like the Hunt did too? I haven't started it yet, so can anyone tell me when the first subevent is due to end?

mania
Sep 9, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

So this event has subevents like the Hunt did too? I haven't started it yet, so can anyone tell me when the first subevent is due to end?

The sub-event ends in 15hrs and 15mins.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I am in the :effort: bracket of Divine Champions. 15 minutes to go and the leader only has 731 shielded points.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Broke out of shielding at 12 mins to try for a last minute blitz. Hope I make top 15.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I really hate how I continually have to restrain myself because I would rather land in the top 75 instead of the top 45. Getting three covers on what is usually a good two star seems way better than getting one three star cover usually in the weakest power. The really should make all the placement rewards cumulative so you never feel like you're getting punished for doing too well.

Retromancer fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 25, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Tezzeract posted:

Broke out of shielding at 12 mins to try for a last minute blitz. Hope I make top 15.

I broke my shielding with 30 minutes left and dropped like a stone, I wish my team was as intimidating as the 85 Thor/85 Ares/85 Storm teams I kept seeing. :smith:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Retromancer posted:

I really hate how I continually have to restrain myself because I would rather land in the top 75 instead of the top 45. Getting three covers on what is usually a good two star seems way better than getting one three star cover usually in the weakest power.

That's what I did for both of them. I rushed to 500 for the HP then tanked to 75. 6 OBW covers for no effort is way better than 1-2 punishers.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 25, 2014

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's what I did for both of them. I rushed to 500 for the HP then tanked to 75. 6 OBW covers for no effort is way better than 1-2 publishers.

That is a truly magical autocomplete.

When writers miss deadlines, sometimes they fall through the cracks of the editorial staff. Only one man can bring their stories to print. He is Frank Castle, the Publisher.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

That is a truly magical autocomplete.

When writers miss deadlines, sometimes they fall through the cracks of the editorial staff. Only one man can bring their stories to print. He is Frank Castle, the Publisher.

Please send him to GRRM, thanks.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Couldn't catch up to the leader, at half the points, but I got my 2nd place finish. 3/1/2 Punisher now, in another few months I might even have him all finished. And maybe an Invisible Woman some year. Wouldn't mind finishing OBW either but the game keeps giving me her purple covers.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's what I did for both of them. I rushed to 500 for the HP then tanked to 75. 6 OBW covers for no effort is way better than 1-2 punishers.

But then you get cock-blocked in some other event because you need to have a punisher to advance. (gently caress needing a grey suit widow for that last mission in the PvE event).

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 25, 2014

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

In this PVE event, OBW and Wolvie are truly a match made in heaven.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Got top 5 in Divine with a bit over 700 points. I think it was 713? Second was 714, first was a little bit over that when I shielded up at 1 hour before the end. Considering that I joined the tournament around... 15 or 16 hours before it ended, that's a fairly small amount of points. Got attacked a total of three times, all within the last two hours. Sold my excess Punisher black, and now he's 3/3/5, and I can probably take him from 55 to like 60 from the subevent before I head into the Punisher tournament.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Got top 5 in Divine with a bit over 700 points. I think it was 713? Second was 714, first was a little bit over that when I shielded up at 1 hour before the end. Considering that I joined the tournament around... 15 or 16 hours before it ended, that's a fairly small amount of points. Got attacked a total of three times, all within the last two hours. Sold my excess Punisher black, and now he's 3/3/5, and I can probably take him from 55 to like 60 from the subevent before I head into the Punisher tournament.

Now that they're doubling up PvP matches, the second one seems to loose a lot of oomph compared to the first.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Happy Bear Suit posted:

In this PVE event, OBW and Wolvie are truly a match made in heaven.

In terms of their dress sense?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anyone still playing on an iphone 4s and had a noticeable performance drop since the last patch?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

In terms of their dress sense?
I did really like that dialogue.

But yeah, I'm playing on an iPad 4 and the performance has tanked like hell. Skipping takes so long to clear the screen I can watch the individual UI parts separate, and in some of the prison missions gem swapping takes a second or more to happen.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bruceski posted:

Now that they're doubling up PvP matches, the second one seems to loose a lot of oomph compared to the first.

I suppose that does make sense. Plus, I guess plenty of people have enough levels in Punisher that going for more seems like a chore. I know I didn't bother too hard in the first Divine tournament for that reason, and only put in more effort than usual of the second one after the reveal of the new Punisher tournament so I could take his Green to 3.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I forgot to log onto the Divine tournament and fell something like 100 places, after pretty much consistently being in the top 20 or higher all two days.

I like how everything is repeatable in the event missions, and how low level they are except the big end fight. It's very newbie friendly. Granted, I'm not super new anymore, but if I WERE, this would be the nicest event yet.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

SynthOrange posted:

Anyone still playing on an iphone 4s and had a noticeable performance drop since the last patch?

Yes, the game runs like absolute crap. A lot of lag and hitching when doing something as simple as making a match. I thought my file was corrupting or my phone was dying or something it gets so bad.

edit: on iphone 4s

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm just sending them a ticket then. Posted on the forums about it but hopefully with a ticket it'll get more notice.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
That Empiricist generating reds for Ares/Moonstone is evil.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Looks like if you're at the very top missions will still give you 1pt minimum. Better than not giving you anything at all but I still don't think I'd bother running a mission hundreds of times to secure my lead, especially when the missions increase in difficulty when you beat them.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Performance on the 5s also plummeted with the last patch.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Joined the Divine tournament with like 2 hours left, pounded out 600 points before I got sleepy, shielded and woke up to a top 5 finish. Just another day at the office :clint:

So what's the pro strat for Punisher? 5 Red seems mandatory so I can execute at 40%. Is it 5 black so that Molotov spews out Strike tiles every turn (especially with the Wolvie nerf on the horizon)?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Joined the Divine tournament with like 2 hours left, pounded out 600 points before I got sleepy, shielded and woke up to a top 5 finish. Just another day at the office :clint:

So what's the pro strat for Punisher? 5 Red seems mandatory so I can execute at 40%. Is it 5 black so that Molotov spews out Strike tiles every turn (especially with the Wolvie nerf on the horizon)?

I think 5/5/3 makes more sense. Getting 3 strike tiles on green is a good thing and Molotov's attack tile generation on 2 CD is great. An extra 2k damage (10%) on 230 mobs is decent, but I prefer going into black and green.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

messagemode1 posted:

Performance on the 5s also plummeted with the last patch.

My 4S and Nexus 7 are both lagging to hell since the patch.

So Wolverine Patch's yellow changed. It now heals without it having to be cast and is passive. Is 5/5/3 still the ideal build? The wiki says Yellow 4 makes him heal if there are too few tiles for less, and 5 makes him just always heal at max. He seems pretty loving broken especially with the current bug. 5 Red seems really good, green is good too but so many enemy strike tiles too (once fixed).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tezzeract posted:

I think 5/5/3 makes more sense. Getting 3 strike tiles on green is a good thing and Molotov's attack tile generation on 2 CD is great. An extra 2k damage (10%) on 230 mobs is decent, but I prefer going into black and green.

Honestly I don't think the only bad punisher build is one that has two 4's and a 5. All of his abilities are pretty solid, though I am leaning away from his green since it can blow up tiles you want to keep, like strike and web tiles.

Also, I've noticed some shenanigans going on with the Family Reunion pve level. The levels of the enemies aren't static. When I first played last night the toughest fight was level 130. Then this morning it was level 230. Right now it's level 199/200/200 (wtf?). Has anyone else noticed the encounter levels jumping up and down?

edit: And now family reunion 1 has level 108 mooks. Seriously what the hell is going on here.

pixaal posted:

My 4S and Nexus 7 are both lagging to hell since the patch.

So Wolverine Patch's yellow changed. It now heals without it having to be cast and is passive. Is 5/5/3 still the ideal build? The wiki says Yellow 4 makes him heal if there are too few tiles for less, and 5 makes him just always heal at max. He seems pretty loving broken especially with the current bug. 5 Red seems really good, green is good too but so many enemy strike tiles too (once fixed).

I think there's some real synergy to be had with Loki. Patch gives the enemy powerful strike tiles which can then be immediately turned into powerful protect tiles for you, and their colors don't overlap, plus that leaves blue and yellow unused for abilities, which means 3* spiderman slots in quite nicely.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 25, 2014

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Really hating that the Family Reunion rewards aren't displaying accurately. I'll run one of the missions that says 14 points or whatever and then at the end receive only 1.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Looks like this event has rubberbanding and all that jazz. I have no clue how big the point differential get though.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Another first in Divine, with 778 points. Now that's bracket luck.

Family Reunion is pretty tight, on the other hand.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

delfin posted:

Another first in Divine, with 778 points. Now that's bracket luck.

Family Reunion is pretty tight, on the other hand.

My guess is because they are only rewarding first and second place more then 1 cover for patch. It's also only 200 people instead of 1000 but still. There are also very few levels in the area. If you are at all competitive for the top 10 you likely have all the heroes and can get Family Reunion down to a single point for each mission pretty easily. The main barrier is going to be Family Reunion IX, 120 Rag Daken and Moonstone at 120 and then at 150 is rough, never mind the fact that you need grey suit widow who I haven't seen featured in anything since I started playing around New Years. I lucked into a single copy of her but man its rough taking a level 15 into battle, I basically had to two man that poo poo.

EDIT: anyone else notice the banner on the splash screen went from "preview edition" to "launch edition" The game launched with the newest patch? Could have fooled me seems like a buggy mess, laggy and the new wolverine is bugged.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 25, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Welp, I'm screwed. Didn't get a Patch yet so I'm locked out of that mission 300ish points behind the top five. The only other mission worth more than 1 point is the level 230 enemies one that forces Grey Widow on to your team keeping OBW off.

Only way to get more points is to have Patch, only way to get a Patch is to make top five.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Currently sitting in first place with 841 points. Just gotta hope the rubberbanding isn't strong enough to overcome that. Second place is at 822 but it looks like he's down to 1 point for every mission too.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

It's definitely an interesting PVE event and I'm pretty sure getting 1 or 2 is going to be a waste of time for most people. You have to do a lot of monitoring of leaderboards, keeping track of point resets (and optimal times to do the missions with respect to your rubberbanding) and a bit of luck.

I'm fairly confident that I can get 1 or 2 this round, but I probably won't bother for the rest of the subevents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Welp, I'm screwed. Didn't get a Patch yet so I'm locked out of that mission 300ish points behind the top five. The only other mission worth more than 1 point is the level 230 enemies one that forces Grey Widow on to your team keeping OBW off.

Only way to get more points is to have Patch, only way to get a Patch is to make top five.

PvP Punisher event is giving him out for top ranks too, so you have a shot there for later. Patch has been a reward for the top slots for awhile. I guess its kind of rich get richer since he's kind of needed, hopefully later events don't need him so other people can nab some covers for him. I might actually be able to complete mine though if this keeps up. I'm pretty solid in first right now by 20 points, most of which is grinding single point things to try and get 500ISO rewards to level patch.

Sure you might miss out on the top tier stuff now but this actually builds confidence that the game is newbie approachable. I haven't put any money into the game, have been playing a month and am solidly placing first in a sub event.

I mean yes you pretty much have to keep up and play several events straight to place well but at least you can do it 100% free. I can see this quickly causing burn out though. I'd be nice to be able to chill, though the divine champion event that just happened seemed like a nice place to take a small break since the best rewards were pretty much nab the OBW.