Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This is probably a very stupid question: Why do we (English speakers) refer to Germany as "Germany" rather than "Deutschland"? I mean, the Germans, when referring to their own country call it "Deutschland", the phrase is "sprechen sie Deutsch" not "sprechen sie German". French people come from France, speak French, and refer to themselves and their language as French ("parlez vous Francais"). Mexicans call their country Mexico, Russians call their country Russia (pretty sure).

So why the distinction for Germany? Do other countries/languages refer to Germany as "Germany" or do they use "Deutschland" or some other name?

EDIT:

Baldbeard posted:

What are the diamond shaped indentations on the side of truck trailers? Sometimes they are bolted in, sometimes they have seams, sometimes they have various flaps. What the hell are they?

I'll pass by trucks that have up to 6 or 7 of them sometimes. Nobody I know in person knows what the poo poo I'm talking about.

Here you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFPA_704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

This is probably a very stupid question: Why do we (English speakers) refer to Germany as "Germany" rather than "Deutschland"? I mean, the Germans, when referring to their own country call it "Deutschland", the phrase is "sprechen sie Deutsch" not "sprechen sie German". French people come from France, speak French, and refer to themselves and their language as French ("parlez vous Francais"). Mexicans call their country Mexico, Russians call their country Russia (pretty sure).

So why the distinction for Germany? Do other countries/languages refer to Germany as "Germany" or do they use "Deutschland" or some other name?

Its more than just Germany that we made up our own name for. Japan, for instance.

e: heres a bunch http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa082399.htm

KoB fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 24, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

CzarChasm posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Germany#Names_from_Germania

The short version is that English is roughly 50/50 Romance / Germanic in origin (at least vocabulary-wise), this just happens to be one of the times that the Latin form won out (although oddly, the Romance languages don't use the Latin version themseleves)

quote:

In English, the name "Almain" or "Alman" was used for Germany [similar to the Romance language countries] and for the adjective German until the 16th century, with "German" first attested in 1520, used at first as an alternative then becoming a replacement, maybe inspired mainly by the need to differ them from the more and more independently acting Dutch. [which wikipedia doesn't go into detail about, but apparently they had previously been lumped in with the Germans?]

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

CzarChasm posted:

EDIT:

Here you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFPA_704

I think those are for DOT placards not NFPA.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hazmat placards.

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/hazmat/placards/

edit: d'oh, there was another page.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

regulargonzalez posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Germany#Names_from_Germania

The short version is that English is roughly 50/50 Romance / Germanic in origin (at least vocabulary-wise), this just happens to be one of the times that the Latin form won out (although oddly, the Romance languages don't use the Latin version themseleves)

It probably doesn't help that Germany/Deutschland as a single political entity isn't even 150 years old, and we've apparently been calling that area "Germany" since long before that.

(Edit: And yes I know about the Holy Roman Empire shut up)
(Edit 2: However, it does seem like the English names for all the HRE principalities generally match up pretty well with their native names)

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 24, 2014

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Its the same thing with other places like India (Bharat in Hindi), China (Zhōngguó in Chinese) and a whole lot of other older counties. When an area became relevant to English speakers, they gave it a name. Sometimes that name was based on what the locals called it, but often it was just whatever some explorer/cartographer picked. And even there were large amounts of anglicisation/drift in the spelling/pronunciation because some of these places were so far away. Before instant communication and fast travel the names never got corrected before they became an accepted fact. Counties that more recently came into being tend to have their local names more aligned with their international names.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

In Latin, their name for the Germanic tribes was "Germania", iirc, and after the Norman Conquests happened, we used their Latinate words for a lot of things relevant to the nobility, so we got used to their words for countries. This is also why we say "mutton" instead of "lambflesh".

Japan we first learned about through China, and "Japan" is the Chinese pronunciation for the characters that mean Land of the Rising Sun. The Japanese use the same characters but read them as Nihon/Nippon.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
English isn't the only language to do this. Check out this map of literal translations of Chinese names for European nations. (Sweeden is named "Very Lucky Soldiers".)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

DNova posted:

I think it's just because argon acts as an easily pumped momentum transfer media and helps pump out lighter atoms and molecules.

That said, I've only ever used argon back filling in cases where I actually desire a low pressure argon environment (for example in sputter coating). For real UHV work it would be unthinkable to me, but I work only with inorganic stuff. If there are any lipids in my chambers them someone did something very bad.

Actually, I AM doing sputter coating. By lipids I mean potential incidental skin oils and poo poo.

So I was told that the argon back filling helps the last bits of stuff desorb into the gas phase and be pumped away. Why does the argon help? I can't figure out why re-pressurizing the chamber would make developing a deeper vacuum easier.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
We're not even the only nation to have a very non-deutsch word for German. The French and Spanish use the same root ("allemand" and "alemán," respectively), but in Italy, it's "tedesco."

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

alnilam posted:

Actually, I AM doing sputter coating. By lipids I mean potential incidental skin oils and poo poo.

Nothing like that would ever come close to a real high vacuum chamber!

quote:

So I was told that the argon back filling helps the last bits of stuff desorb into the gas phase and be pumped away. Why does the argon help? I can't figure out why re-pressurizing the chamber would make developing a deeper vacuum easier.

I don't think it helps in any kind of desorption. I'm pretty sure it's just a big-rear end atom that works well as a momentum transfer medium. Look up how turbo-molecular pumps and diffusion pumps work. I think it's basically a conceptual combination of those two pumping mechanisms.

It's also most likely partially folklore. A lot of things that are done in labs are done for historic/superstitious reasons.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
I'm learning Python in my introductory Computer Science course, and I need a super friendly IDE for Mac. My school uses Wing professional and I'd like to use it as well, but for whatever reason it won't work despite following both the instructions given to us by my school, and the instructions on the Wing website. It keeps telling me the variable is not defined, even though I literally just defined the variable. The exact same piece of code works fine in IDLE and on the school computers. I would be totally fine with IDLE except that the print is so tiny and I have grandma eyes :(

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

vivisecting posted:

I'm learning Python in my introductory Computer Science course, and I need a super friendly IDE for Mac. My school uses Wing professional and I'd like to use it as well, but for whatever reason it won't work despite following both the instructions given to us by my school, and the instructions on the Wing website. It keeps telling me the variable is not defined, even though I literally just defined the variable. The exact same piece of code works fine in IDLE and on the school computers. I would be totally fine with IDLE except that the print is so tiny and I have grandma eyes :(

I use Bluefish and iPython side by side on my mac. It's not really an IDE, but the two together sort of emulate Matlab functionality.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

hoobajoo posted:

In Latin, their name for the Germanic tribes was "Germania", iirc, and after the Norman Conquests happened, we used their Latinate words for a lot of things relevant to the nobility, so we got used to their words for countries. This is also why we say "mutton" instead of "lambflesh".

Mutton is the meat of sheep that are older than lambs, normally we call lambflesh lamb. There's a progression in terms of age, so a sheep up to 1 year old's meat is called lamb and then from 1-2 years is called hogget and over 2 years old the meat is called mutton.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Crankit posted:

Mutton is the meat of sheep that are older than lambs, normally we call lambflesh lamb. There's a progression in terms of age, so a sheep up to 1 year old's meat is called lamb and then from 1-2 years is called hogget and over 2 years old the meat is called mutton.

Beef and veal instead of cowflesh is probably a better example, then. Same reason.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

hoobajoo posted:

Beef and veal instead of cowflesh is probably a better example, then. Same reason.

Beef vs. cowflesh is probably from the Norman conquest. Pork, venison, and beef are from French roots, whereas pig, deer, and cow are old English. One could argue English words were used by the people in the field and French words were used when it was on the plate.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Crankit posted:

Fun fact: in the US, there's no labeling restriction, so everything is just called lamb since it sounds more appealing.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

KernelSlanders posted:

Beef vs. cowflesh is probably from the Norman conquest. Pork, venison, and beef are from French roots, whereas pig, deer, and cow are old English. One could argue English words were used by the people in the field and French words were used when it was on the plate.

Walter Scott argued this in Ivanhoe, in fact.

"I am very glad every fool knows that too," said Wamba, "and
pork, I think, is good Norman-French; and so when the brute
lives, and is in the charge of a Saxon slave, she goes by her
Saxon name; but becomes a Norman, and is called pork, when she is
carried to the Castle-hall to feast among the nobles; what dost
thou think of this, friend Gurth, ha?"

"Nay, I can tell you more," said Wamba, in the same tone; there
is old Alderman Ox continues to hold his Saxon epithet, while he
is under the charge of serfs and bondsmen such as thou, but
becomes Beef, a fiery French gallant, when he arrives before the
worshipful jaws that are destined to consume him. Mynheer Calf,
too, becomes Monsieur de Veau in the like manner; he is Saxon
when he requires tendance, and takes a Norman name when he
becomes matter of enjoyment."

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

KernelSlanders posted:

It took a few hundred years for the Norman kings to really start speaking and thinking of themselves as English, and not (entirely) as should-be French kings. Until then French was the language of the court, so it's not like you'd have to argue that distinction.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I have a computer technical support question that isn't large enough to warrant its own thread. I recently purchased a new USB wireless adapter to replace one that broke. It works fine but my PC recognizes the connection as "Wireless Network Connection 2." I tried renaming it to "1" but it forbids me because apparently the other network connection, the one used by the old USB adapter, still exists. How the hell do I delete it? Its not anywhere in the Network and Sharing Center in my Control Panel.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have a computer technical support question that isn't large enough to warrant its own thread. I recently purchased a new USB wireless adapter to replace one that broke. It works fine but my PC recognizes the connection as "Wireless Network Connection 2." I tried renaming it to "1" but it forbids me because apparently the other network connection, the one used by the old USB adapter, still exists. How the hell do I delete it? Its not anywhere in the Network and Sharing Center in my Control Panel.
If this still works anything like it did in XP, you should be able to go to the device manager and find an option there to show hidden devices and uninstall it from there. Or maybe Nirsoft's USBDeview is needed if you can't reconnect the old adapter, I'm not sure.

The latter should work in any case. You may have to uninstall and re-install the new adapter as well to get it to change its name.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So we have epistemology, roughly the study of how we know. And we have ontology, how we be. Is there a similar -ology for how we do?

I was hopeful when I read axiology, but that's just values and poo poo.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

tuyop posted:

So we have epistemology, roughly the study of how we know. And we have ontology, how we be. Is there a similar -ology for how we do?

Anthropology?
Anthropology builds upon knowledge from natural sciences, including the discoveries about the origin and evolution of Homo sapiens, human physical traits, human behavior, the variations among different groups of humans, how the evolutionary past of Homo sapiens has influenced its social organization and culture, and from social sciences, including the organization of human social and cultural relations, institutions, social conflicts, etc.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

Anthropology?
Anthropology builds upon knowledge from natural sciences, including the discoveries about the origin and evolution of Homo sapiens, human physical traits, human behavior, the variations among different groups of humans, how the evolutionary past of Homo sapiens has influenced its social organization and culture, and from social sciences, including the organization of human social and cultural relations, institutions, social conflicts, etc.

That seems a bit different. Anthropology, psych, economics, and sociology are like, disciplines studying people in general. Ontology and epistemology are part of all of those disciplines because they're components of explanations of human behavior.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

tuyop posted:

Psychology can be described as why we do, and ethics is how we ought to do. But just answering the question of how we do is just anatomy, neuroscience, or physics depending on what you mean by "do".

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

hoobajoo posted:

Psychology can be described as why we do, and ethics is how we ought to do. But just answering the question of how we do is just anatomy, neuroscience, or physics depending on what you mean by "do".

Yeah, this is a lot more complicated than I thought. But thanks, it's much more intelligible to talk about a population's psychology, ethics, and pedagogy than to use a term that seats, say, Dene parent-children relations under some umbrella term like "demology" or something.

Actually, I just googled demology and that is roughly what I was looking for. From the latin dare (infinitive of "to do")

"Demology is the study of human activities and social conditions."
http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-the-definition-of-demology

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Is there a good way to thoroughly clean a nalgene water bottle? No matter what I do, it still has a weird smell emanating from it. The mouth is too small to jam my hand in with a sponge and shaking soapy water in it and rinsing it a million times doesn't seem to work :/ Could I put baking soda into it or something? It just smells likes stale water and leftover flavored powder drinks.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Yeah, this is a lot more complicated than I thought. But thanks, it's much more intelligible to talk about a population's psychology, ethics, and pedagogy than to use a term that seats, say, Dene parent-children relations under some umbrella term like "demology" or something.

Actually, I just googled demology and that is roughly what I was looking for. From the latin dare (infinitive of "to do")

"Demology is the study of human activities and social conditions."
http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-the-definition-of-demology

But demology kind of refers to demographics, I.e.grouping people based on social context and studying behavior trends... not really in the same category as ontology and epistemology. I do think you're looking for anatomy, psychology, and physics, as someone else said.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

If this still works anything like it did in XP, you should be able to go to the device manager and find an option there to show hidden devices and uninstall it from there. Or maybe Nirsoft's USBDeview is needed if you can't reconnect the old adapter, I'm not sure.

The latter should work in any case. You may have to uninstall and re-install the new adapter as well to get it to change its name.

In device manager are they the ISATAP Adapters? Should I delete those?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Whoops, this has been covered.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In device manager are they the ISATAP Adapters? Should I delete those?
I don't know what those are, so in good conscience I can't really recommend doing that.

Try the USBDeview program, it should show you stuff under a user friendly name; you might remember what your previous wireless adapter was called, or what brand it was or something. You may have to enable viewing disconnected stuff there too.

If you feel lost, I wouldn't start randomly deleting stuff you don't recognise. Maybe, try the Windows thread in SH/SC with a relevant screenshot or something.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't know what those are, so in good conscience I can't really recommend doing that.

Try the USBDeview program, it should show you stuff under a user friendly name; you might remember what your previous wireless adapter was called, or what brand it was or something. You may have to enable viewing disconnected stuff there too.

If you feel lost, I wouldn't start randomly deleting stuff you don't recognise. Maybe, try the Windows thread in SH/SC with a relevant screenshot or something.

Yeah I'll try that USBDeview thing. Thanks

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Wedemeyer posted:

Is there a good way to thoroughly clean a nalgene water bottle? No matter what I do, it still has a weird smell emanating from it. The mouth is too small to jam my hand in with a sponge and shaking soapy water in it and rinsing it a million times doesn't seem to work :/ Could I put baking soda into it or something? It just smells likes stale water and leftover flavored powder drinks.

You want to get something like Milton's liquid (that's what I use in the UK but there's probably other brands in other countries) it's a liquid for cleaning baby bottles so babies don't die of diptheria. After you use baby bottle cleaner there might be a different smell taste and you can use something like half a cup of rubbing alcohol or cheap vodka to remove that, you probably don't even need that much.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Wedemeyer posted:

Denture tablets. You can get them at a dollar store. Baby bottle cleaning wands are also handy to have around.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Wedemeyer posted:

In addition/ lieu to the other chemicals people suggested, I'd recommend getting a bottle brush ($5 at your grocery store/ Amazon). That will allow you to actually scrub the inside surfaces very easily.

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
I want to sell on Ebay for the first time, and I'm a little confused here. I have only ever bought stuff, using a credit card (MasterCard) linked to my PayPal account. I need to know what is the easiest/preferred way to set up a DEBIT card? I don't want to use a checking/savings account.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

You know that idea that pi contains a digital version of every picture and piece of writing possible? Has that ever been done? A program that will calculate pi to so many digits, then print the results of digits X through Y, interpreted in a way to output the Last Supper or Hamlet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Have the forums been loading really slow for anyone for the last few days? It takes loving forever for a page to load for me, but every other site is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Mescal posted:

You know that idea that pi contains a digital version of every picture and piece of writing possible? Has that ever been done? A program that will calculate pi to so many digits, then print the results of digits X through Y, interpreted in a way to output the Last Supper or Hamlet.

No, for the same reason that no one's ever written Graham's number out. It's just way too many digits to calculate.