Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

Baseball is serious business.
If I'm having more fun with the iOS version of OOTP, does it make me not nerd enough?

I'm imploding the Yankees on the desktop. On the iPad I managed to recover from two terrible years to win the WS in 2015. I'm pretty happy with my wheeling and dealing towards a championship considering-

- Jeter and Mo cratered and retired
- A-Rod cratered at the end of 2013 and has been draining $25MM from the bench every year. (Another two years of this ugh)
- As soon as I signed Cano to a reasonable extension the game decided to give him a career ending ankle injury.

Seriously, gently caress this game and its injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RalphTheWonderLlama posted:

Seriously, gently caress this game and its injuries.

This is why I always play on commish mode.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

This is why I always play on commish mode.

OOTP really likes to injure important players in the last week of the season. I recommend changing any good pitchers to designated hitters in the last week if you're headed to the playoffs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

OOTP really likes to injure important players in the last week of the season. I recommend changing any good pitchers to designated hitters in the last week if you're headed to the playoffs.

I have determined in my few seasons in SCMLB that OOTP just likes to injure everyone frequently.

I'm pretty sure there is an entire wing of a local hospital that just belong to my team at this point.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
OOTP 15 announced.

I don't care about the 3D stadiums but the new widescreen-friendly interface, new player rating system and enhanced player tracking all sound promising.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Exodor posted:

OOTP 15 announced.

I don't care about the 3D stadiums but the new widescreen-friendly interface, new player rating system and enhanced player tracking all sound promising.

I've never pre-ordered OOTP but there are enough dumb giveaways that I would love to win (but won't) that I might actually cave this time.

This tie-in they're maintaining with BP is pretty funny: "All major league (and certain minor league) player ratings are based on Baseball Prospectus' industry-leading player forecasting system PECOTA." :stare:

As much as this feature is cool, this makes things far too fair in online leagues:

"In previous versions of OOTP, the player ratings were absolute numbers based on the hidden internal player ratings. The problem with this approach was that you didn't know if a 60/100 power rating was actually above or below league average. OOTP 15 introduces a new optional rating system which calculates average player ratings for all positions at the start of the season and then displays player ratings throughout the game in relation to those averages. So, for example, you'll know that a 60/100 power rating is actually above the league average (which is always 50 in the 1-100 rating scale) - by one standard deviation, to be exact (for you math heads). "

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I like that teams can retire numbers now, I wonder how that will be handled.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I like that teams can retire numbers now, I wonder how that will be handled.

Next year they'll have to announce that numbers now go up to 4 digits because some guy with an offline league has simmed his way through hundreds of years and ran out of numbers.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
I know it's not necessarily the spirit of OOTP, but I wish they would include more financial options like merchandising, gameday promotions, and TV deals.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Faltese Malkin posted:

I know it's not necessarily the spirit of OOTP, but I wish they would include more financial options like merchandising, gameday promotions, and TV deals.

This was in OOTP6 and it was awesome because if you won it gave you fan interest boosts. They also had TV Deals that when they renewed increased or decreased based on fan interest and market size, I believe. I don't know when they took it out or why but I miss it.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Media contracts are still in OOTP. They're just broken into a national TV deal and local TV deals to reflect MLB.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is there a good rule of thumb for the rate of average prospect development? I feel like it's around 1 point per year on a 1-10 scale or 10 on a 1-100 scale (with a little variance) for the average prospect but some people seem to think otherwise. Can anyone else confirm/deny if I'm right about this?

Basically, someone's trying to convince me that a 22 year old who was recently drafted and is about 30 points from his ceiling is only behind because he was recently drafted but my feeling is he's behind because he's just underdeveloped compared to most 22 year olds and once he hits that 24 year old threshold, his development will probably only creep along and I don't think he'll ever really reach his potential.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So, who remembers that thing I did where I created a bunch of Goons in OOTP and then got burnt out because I bit off more than I could chew since I couldn't find a place to upload stats and had to start doing them by hand?

I got bored and am simming out the years to get career stats, would you guys be interested enough in a final retrospective and history for me to make a new thread about it or should I just do some shorter info dump posts in here?

Sidenote: someone (who is still playing as I sim) is going to go down as one of the greatest players in history.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
OOTP has to have some sort of rubber band AI in it; it really shouldn't take a 120-win team fifteen tries to beat an 84-win team in a five game playoff.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

So, who remembers that thing I did where I created a bunch of Goons in OOTP and then got burnt out because I bit off more than I could chew since I couldn't find a place to upload stats and had to start doing them by hand?

I got bored and am simming out the years to get career stats, would you guys be interested enough in a final retrospective and history for me to make a new thread about it or should I just do some shorter info dump posts in here?

Sidenote: someone (who is still playing as I sim) is going to go down as one of the greatest players in history.

I'm an info junkie. The more the better, I say!

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 25, 2014

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

IcePhoenix posted:

I would definitely be interested in seeing a more in depth look at this, I remember that thing

e: I forgot that my dude was looking like he was gonna be a friggin' beast in that

gardenald fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 25, 2014

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I think this is the weirdest thing I've ever seen in Baseball Mogul.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm definitely interested enough to see what happened, Male Biun Jr. was throwing hella fire

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I had a historical league with players from all eras that I started the other day. I think it was broken.

Ralph Kiner had 100 HR, 195 RBI, and a .166 BA.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

I'm definitely interested enough to see what happened, Male Biun Jr. was throwing hella fire

Your career statline is pretty great.

The final clinger on who wouldn't retire finally retired so I'll start grabbing the data I want and create the thread in a day or so.

Graviolies
Mar 23, 2004

I love Mogul and while I appreciate the level of obsessive detail in OOTP I really would like a lighter and faster play mode like Mogul but with the optional depth that OOTP has. I haven't played OOTP in years, have they implemented anything like that at all? I'm thinking about getting 15 for the NPB but I want to know what to expect gameplay wise compared to, say, OOTP12

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

IcePhoenix posted:

Thunder Hawk was the greatest first baseman in history. He was SEVEN FEET TALL and probably had a strike zone the size of Jose Altuve, but he was still mashing like all get out.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.

IcePhoenix posted:

Yes please! This would be pretty cool

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Do you guys want me to do a countdown of the "worst" players up through the best or just throw a few guys in each post semi-randomly?

One player is getting saved for last either way because god drat.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.

IcePhoenix posted:

Do you guys want me to do a countdown of the "worst" players up through the best or just throw a few guys in each post semi-randomly?

One player is getting saved for last either way because god drat.

I think either way would be good. Maybe a short excerpt on the player too. Whatever is quickest! We've waited to long!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SAMB0 posted:

I think either way would be good. Maybe a short excerpt on the player too. Whatever is quickest! We've waited to long!

Yeah, I plan on doing a short exerpt, although honestly a lot of players are going to be really similar.

It's taking a while because there's 55 players, I need at least four screencaps for each of them, and my method of doing so is probably terrible (print screen, paste to irfanview, crop, save, repeat).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Orix Buffaloes (NPB) have signed Yuni Betancourt in real life. I was way ahead of them:

http://mlb-pro.com/lgreports/players/player_16335.html

I always think it's funny when life imitates OOTP.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

tadashi posted:

Orix Buffaloes (NPB) have signed Yuni Betancourt in real life. I was way ahead of them:

http://mlb-pro.com/lgreports/players/player_16335.html

I always think it's funny when life imitates OOTP.

I'm super pumped for the kansas city royals to move to indy and become the jaguars.

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

Baseball is serious business.

uggy posted:

I'm super pumped for the kansas city royals to move to indy and become the ABCs.

better idea.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Is it possible to manually edit/add league evolutions? My save did a couple but I had to load a backup from before it happened (for unrelated reasons) and I'd like to put those back in if possible.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3606358

Here's the Be a Pro retrospective thread. I'll be adding players and linking to the posts about them in the OP, starting with a few tonight.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Crossposting this here like a nerd

Monicro posted:

Hey guys if you like baseball and funny writing, the Baseball Mogul Super-League's signups are open!

For those of you who play fantasy baseball it's a lot like that except the players you pick are from all throughout history, and they're put into a sim and actually play baseball games rather than just racking up points in this stat or that, and the method of team-building is different (check out the OP for the instructions). For the WiS crowd it's like the Simleague except with a lot more interaction (trades, drafts etc) in addition to the aforementioned writing. I played a Simleague season and couldn't really get into it because it was basically this except without a bunch of stuff :v:

It just started so the vast majority of the teams are still available and there's no limit on how many people can enter, so check it out!

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I've posted before that I'm in a league that uses Diamond Mind Baseball to run simulations of players from all eras (350PA, 100/30 IP limits) as teams. We are in year 4 of our redraft with 48 teams (it's insane).

I followed up my 96 win season two years ago with a step back to an 88 win team. During last year I retooled my entire team moving to a pitchers park and focusing on putting the best staff I could put together. The beta simulations have me currently around a 90-92 win team, I think I need to get 97 to 99 for the division, so I have a little work to do for the offense, but I'm weak at the corner outfield which is relatively easily to find early in the year.

Pitching Staff
1995 Greg Maddux (Maddux and Pedro Martinez are pitchers 1A and 1B in this league, Maddux's average numbers over a 50 season beta test were 2.92 ERA and 1.02 WHIP).
1985 John Tudor
2006 Jered Weaver
1971 Wilbur Wood

Bullpen:
1999 Paul Abbott (Long Relief)
2007 Heath Bell
2003 Eddie Guardado
1998 Trevor Hoffman (Closer)
1973 Grant Jackson
1993 Jeff Montegomery
2011 Jason Motte
1985 Steve Ontiveros

Catchers:
1923 Bob O'Farrell
1942 Ray Mueller

First Base:
1989 Will Clark
1944 Nick Etten

Second Base:
1984 Johnny Ray
2013 Matt Carpenter (DH vs righties, his defensive range is horrible).

Shortstop:
1905 Bobby Wallace

Third Base:
1982 Doug DeCinces

Right Field:
1918 Harry Hooper
1942 Enos Slaughter (playing LF)
1974 Jeff Burroughs (DH vs lefties, his defense is trash)

Center Field:
1952 Larry Doby
1917 Benny Kauff

Left Field:
N/A

Key Players in the Minors:
1943 Spud Chandler (SP #5, will come up every few weeks as I'm running a 4-man rotation this year)
2010 Adam Wainwright (I'll eventually move him this year for added depth)
1092 Fred Tenney (League average first baseman, average defense, but great depth, trade candidate).
2010 Daric Barton (excellent defense, takes a ton of walks, doesn't do much else.)
1928 Red Barnes (Centerfielder, Very Good Defense, always outperforms his vintage, it's weird).

Very deep at 1b, SP, and CF, I'll likely pull from those positions to improve my corner outfielders and SS.

If anyone has any questions about the league format/set up, I'll be glad to explain it.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
You should totally make Burroughs play defense :haw:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Tavarin posted:

You should totally make Burroughs play defense :haw:

lol, no way, has to be minus -20/-30 runs

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If anyone is interested in a historic online OOTP league that shouldn't take too much work (once it's up and running) one of the guys from the SCMLB league is running an all-time greats league where you can draft any player from the Lehman database to be on your team. There will be no trades, financials or injuries and you can pick any year of a franchise to be your team (which sets your ballpark factors). It's still in the setup stages but here's where you can sign-up: http://simcentral.net/forums/showthread.php/84588-All-Time-Greats-League-Sign-Up-Thread?p=986221#post986221. I think it should be a fun league to mess around with. It seems like an easier version of the Super League to me but you do need to have OOTP.

If you haven't registered on simcentral before, let me know and I'll work on getting your account authorized.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 26, 2014

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

I'm down, should I hold off on signing up before you get me authorized or whatever?

e: vv well that settles that!

Monicro fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 25, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Monicro posted:

I'm down, should I hold off on signing up before you get me authorized or whatever?

You can't post without an authorized account :v:

I have no idea what I'm going to do in this league but it looks like fun so I can't wait.

e: I just realized OOTP 15 is less than a month away (if there are no delays) :woop:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 25, 2014

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, the new features sound really nice. I'm a statistics nerd so the new optional rating system where it goes from 20-80 with every 10 points (presumably with 60 being the middle) being one standard deviation is really exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Monicro posted:

e: vv well that settles that!

Are you Monicro on the other forums, too? I'll pm the guy who does the authorizations. It's kind of a lovely way to do things and some of the leagues on there have tried to get away for years but there's just so much history that would be lost...

• Locked thread