Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Third Murderer posted:

So was there an actual time when people would send their eight year old kid to buy and carry a whole bunch of groceries by themselves?

Even up to at least the early 70s when Sesame Street did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C782-Xf4NPk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Name a teenager that says "whom". Apart from Gunther I mean.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Brick Bradford

Judge Parker

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

While I'm here posting vintage comics, the votes are in for what new vintage comics will be added to the Comics Kingdom lineup! Johnny Hazard! Also loving Redeye and Boner's Ark. I'll go ahead and add one of these to my lineup, at least for a week. :)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

cobalt impurity posted:

"Everyone with an ideology thinks theirs is the right one, and will look down on others as ignorant and unenlightened, and will often take initiatives to force their beliefs and standards onto other people. This is a harmful and misguided way of thinking regardless of who you are or what your ideologies happen to be."

I would have thought this particular episode of Nina's Adventures would have been uncontroversial but honestly I'm not that surprised. I've met far too many liberals who seem to think being a condescending arrogant rear end in a top hat is perfectly acceptable as long as you have Right Opinions.

Is that even a real baby?

Julet Esqu posted:

While I'm here posting vintage comics, the votes are in for what new vintage comics will be added to the Comics Kingdom lineup! Johnny Hazard! Also loving Redeye and Boner's Ark. I'll go ahead and add one of these to my lineup, at least for a week. :)

Oh boy here I had completely forgotten that Redeye had ever even existed and now you had to remind me again. Do I wish to never hear of it again, or give in to my desire to truly hate it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

I would have thought this particular episode of Nina's Adventures would have been uncontroversial but honestly I'm not that surprised. I've met far too many liberals who seem to think being a condescending arrogant rear end in a top hat is perfectly acceptable as long as you have Right Opinions.

I think that strip works especially well in the context of every single other Nina's Adventures strip.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Tune in tomorrow for the Gruesome Twosome vs. Chloe the Elephant in the finale!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Presto posted:

Name a teenager that says "whom". Apart from Gunther I mean.

Seeing how she misused it, I saw it more like a dumb attempt at sounding sophisticated.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Third Murderer posted:

So was there an actual time when people would send their eight year old kid to buy and carry a whole bunch of groceries by themselves?

On top of what others said about stores at this time giving you all the stuff on your list over the counter instead of making you get it yourself, a lot of the time they also ran a tab for local residents so the kid wouldn't necessarily even have to handle money; just turn up with the list and the storekeeper would put it on his family's bill to be paid at the end of the month.

I was a kid in the 1980s and used to get sent down to the corner store all the time, from about age 6, to buy whatever had been accidentally forgotten from the main supermarket shopping trips. It wasn't exactly on our OWN corner so it was about a half-hour round trip walk for a little kid, but I always liked it because it felt like some vast adult responsibility to be given money and have to bring back change and so on. I had a bag to carry it home in, though.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I can't decide if this is somehow worse than companies tweetings stupid poo poo on holidays like Speghettios on Pearl Harbor or a dozen places on MLK Day or what but I loving hate Nancy. It gives me the same sort of reaction as those things. It's so empty and meaningless and stupid.

As for being sent out to the store as a kid, my dad sent me out for cigarettes once when I was like 9. He gave me a note or something to show them but they didn't even care. They just sold them to me. Different times, I guess.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

Tune in tomorrow for the Gruesome Twosome vs. Chloe the Elephant in the finale!

Haha, holy poo poo. This is the first story I've followed, this is a fantastic one to start with.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (October 4-6, 1926)

Not to distract from the ongoing discussion about sending kids for groceries, but are there any public schools that still give out marks for attitude attributes?

Dad gives me a Chuck Jones character vibe in this one. Maybe it's the confidence of a man who knows the answer before he asks the question.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

I pictured Brooke's characters exposing a much different fiddlestick to a dancer.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

...Could the person who compiled and sent the birthday wishes to Morrie please report in and let us know what they sent and how it went? Never got closure on that.

Yes, I actually did report back a few times that I'd finished and sent it. I haven't received any direct response, but Morrie posted a general thank you message over on his Facebook page that mentioned receiving so many birthday greetings that I wasn't necessarily expecting to get one.

I've been slammed at work and so haven't had the time to figure out where to post the pages somewhere so people could see. They're in Illustrator. I can export to pdf, but the quality tanks if I try to turn them into image files, so Imgur (what I usually use) is a no-go. If anybody has suggestions of a place that can host a pdf, I'd be happy to put them up.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Only if you think you personally have the power to will unfortunate circumstances on your enemies. Schadenfreude is a lot worse.

Retail

Ok I'm guilty of this (calling people only when I need to bum a favor).

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

This is like, a Holbrook level joke.

Dustin

Their own looks or how the other sex looks?

On the Fastrack

Or any translation software.

Safe Havens

That's not a question, Patina, but point taken.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Their own looks or how the other sex looks?

...Somebody help me out here because I don't see how either interpretation makes sense with a punchline of "mom offers cake while dad looks on in disgust".

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
"Guys care about looks girls don't, otherwise the hideous beast (dad) never would have been able to marry the HB8 (mom)."
"Aw, he called me cute."

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Dustin just totally owned Ed, so that is A Good Joke.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah the thumbs make that joke.

At first I thought it was about Ed not getting cake because he's already rotund, thus showing that women DO care, but Evilreaver nailed it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

When thumbnailed, doesn't that middle panel look like goatse?
That can't be a coincidence.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I want you to do Nancy from now on. I mean like the one in the papers.

F Minus

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Lio wants an anal probing.

These would actually be cool to have.

I have to admit Lio tends to be more miss than hit, but I was surprised to see who else likes it:

Righty-oh indeed, Petey.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Midnight Moth posted:

Maybe. But that's a beautifully drawn flea!

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Correct. The first part of digestion is increased production in the salivary glands when you see and/or smell food. That is a fact. :geno:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- I've won a trip to St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican for two!
- I would've gladly had a third one as well

"Let's go for one" is what Finns say when they want to invite someone for a beer. Or maybe two. Or three.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

feels good

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (January 28, 1967)

And besides, the pizza place stopped delivering to this address after the fifth "false alarm".

Funky Winkerbean

Spoken like a woman who has no idea who she's talking to.

Popeye

Next week; Arrested for treason!

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 28, 1956)

Out Our Way (April 25-26, 1924)

The lighter side of mugging a child!

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Trent posted:

feels good

GodDAMN y'all are on a roll with the edits today.

You Are A Elf posted:

Even up to at least the early 70s when Sesame Street did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C782-Xf4NPk

And this totally made my Saturday morning. :allears: Thanks for the flashback! (Also, count me among those who got sent to the IGA 4 blocks away as a young girl. This was the 80's in NY.)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Midnight Moth posted:

Simian_Prime posted:

Maybe. But that's a beautifully drawn flea!

Seriously! That's a drat fine flea! :v:

Say Nothing posted:

No ring. :v:

Seriously though, you're right, now I can't unsee it.

Non Sequitur

Aw geeze. :ughh:

Heavenly Nostrils is now a day late, so here's yesterday's...

:)

9 Chickweed Lane 1/25/2003

Bleh. :ughh:

Zits

But, of course.

Kevin & Kell

:ughh:

Crap, now I know what's been missing... Hey Bitchtits McGee! Where ma Dan Dare? I need to see what Danny-boy's been up to!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (October 4-6, 1926)

Not to distract from the ongoing discussion about sending kids for groceries, but are there any public schools that still give out marks for attitude attributes?

Sure. Not generalized "deportment" grades, but my daughter (2nd grade) gets ratings on her report card for how she's doing with listening to directions, cooperating with others, staying on task, and various other socialization-related skills.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I really like how they rotated the set (so to speak) for the last panel of today's Dustin. Also FFS, enough with the Amazon/Bezos jokes Wiley!

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

I was thinking more Georgia O'Keeffe before I saw it was a butterfly.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Bradbury Road

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

And for the record, I thought it was goatse too. The internet has ruined me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mooooooooooomin

• Locked thread