Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Xander77 posted:

Someone posted comparison photographs in the Deus Ex thread (I think that was at the same time as the last Gabriel Knight LP had comparison pictures of the relevant New Orleans areas, which is why it stuck with me, but I still can't find the post) and things were fairly similar.

Luckily I have these on hand thanks to the Conspiracy Corner segment.

The overall size and shape seems pretty spot-on, albeit at around 1:2 scale. The real Liberty Island also has a lot more trees and a lot fewer walls (I thought about bringing up the symbolism of walling off Liberty Island even though I know it was for map size restrictions, but I never got around to it). I'd imagine the interior of the statue base is pretty different, too, since I doubt it would be a series of steep, unrailed, asymmetric staircases and a ladder, plus there's no way up into the statue itself (not even a broken staircase or anything). I'm fairly sure there's an elevator in there somewhere, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

FemShep4lyfe

Funny this should come up, because JC's voice actor actually voiced the main character in the ipad/android Mass Effect game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igssciSxrak

He also voiced Paul Denton as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

It works for Isaac and Samus because they're almost entirely alone (and I would've loved if they'd let, say, Jennifer Hale voice Samus in Corruption).

Am I missing something here because Jennifer Hale did voice Samus in all three Prime games. :raise:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Gimbal lock posted:

There are a lot of games that have the protagonist serve as functionally mute, but are there any that have protagonists that are literally afflicted with mutism and that the game's world acknowledges the fact?

When Claude (the silent protagonist of GTA III) appears in San Andreas, CJ calls him a 'mute rear end in a top hat' and a 'snake without a tongue'. Quite a minor example though, and I can't really think of anything else though apart from the aforementioned Drakengard.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Gimbal lock posted:

There are a lot of games that have the protagonist serve as functionally mute, but are there any that have protagonists that are literally afflicted with mutism and that the game's world acknowledges the fact?

Fallout:New Vegas had Christine Royce in the Dead Money DLC. She's done really well.

There's also Ecco in Planescape:Torment. Chis Avellone seems to have a thing for writing mute characters and writing them well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Am I missing something here because Jennifer Hale did voice Samus in all three Prime games. :raise:

Well, yes, technically, but only in as much as she grunted and moaned into a mic for damage sounds. I meant actual dialogue. Not that Corruption had a great script, but there was at least a semblance of competence.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Well, yes, technically, but only in as much as she grunted and moaned into a mic for damage sounds. I meant actual dialogue. Not that Corruption had a great script, but there was at least a semblance of competence.

Ah that makes a lot more sense.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

(I thought about bringing up the symbolism of walling off Liberty Island even though I know it was for map size restrictions, but I never got around to it).

I wonder if that's something like the fog in the original Silent Hill, though. Sure, it might be for map size restrictions, but it definitely fits the aesthetic and it wouldn't be the first time a game designer rolled with the technical punches to come up with a thematically fitting solution.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Luckily I have these on hand thanks to the Conspiracy Corner segment.

The posts I was thinking of had good comparison pics of the docks etc (sadly, GIS just brings up storm damage)

quote:

(I thought about bringing up the symbolism of walling off Liberty Island even though I know it was for map size restrictions, but I never got around to it).
You should check out the PS2 version at some point (unless that's what you meant)

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

No Gravitas posted:

(I'm one of those people that were upset about the one required kill in DX.)

Which one was that again? I seem to remember being able to avoid/run away from everyone, but it's been years since I last played the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jolan posted:

Which one was that again? I seem to remember being able to avoid/run away from everyone, but it's been years since I last played the game.
You have to kill the zombie in the mortuary when you wake. I really think that Bimod is worth it if only for the "pickpocket" option that allows you to skip that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

J.theYellow posted:

JC Denton and Duke Nukem have the same voice actor.

Uh... no? Duke is voiced by Jon St. John.

Xander77 posted:

You have to kill the zombie in the mortuary when you wake. I really think that Bimod is worth it if only for the "pickpocket" option that allows you to skip that.

I was going to make a :words: post about how comparing Anna to a mindless zombie is kind of apt, but I'm just going to say you're on crack.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 25, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Drakengard is especially funny in this regard because the character in question still got his own dialogue boxes for some reason.

He also has significantly more character than most voiced protagonists, despite that.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

He also has significantly more character than most voiced protagonists, despite that.

Hence why everyone loves Caim (for a given value of "love", anyways). But even with the lines he's given, I've always loved the hell out of JC's character for some reason. Thing is, I can never pinpoint why.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
JC has some pretty good zingers against the bosses later in the game, and the flat delivery enhances them.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Caim having dialogue boxes in Drakengard makes sense, as he's only recently been rendered mute and is frequently frustrated by it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Caim having dialogue boxes in Drakengard makes sense, as he's only recently been rendered mute and is frequently frustrated by it.

At least he still has murder to express himself. Similarly, I think a reason JC is still kind of appealing is that you have a lot of different options and ways to play things within the game itself. So your character has a lot of ways to express himself through gameplay; for instance, deciding not to murder people or picking between stealth or full on combat.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sindai posted:

JC has some pretty good zingers against the bosses later in the game, and the flat delivery augments them.

Fixed that for ya pal.

And yeah, I finished my first playthrough of Deus Ex a year ago and haven't really thought about it until this LP, and now I really want to go back and play it again. I did a pretty good job going into it without knowing much and it was a blast, especially looking back at some of the parlor tricks the game plays on you with regards to choices.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Xander77 posted:

The posts I was thinking of had good comparison pics of the docks etc (sadly, GIS just brings up storm damage)
You should check out the PS2 version at some point (unless that's what you meant)

I don't have those, but another view:

Both docks are there, including the covered section of the one JC arrives on and the T-shape of the north one (though it's shorter/fatter in DX). They clearly worked from good reference material, though it's not identical. They made the shape an easier piece of geometry, giving the north side (above where the flagpole plaza is on the real island) a little more space - probably so you could effectively move and sneak around to the north dock before having to tackle the statue itself, plus giving UNATCO HQ some room.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 25, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm willing to bet the giant triangular walls were put in place as a substitute for dense trees because of technical limitations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

By the way bobbin, you've inspired me to do a heavy weapons/rifle playthrough. It's amazing. All you have to do is point your rocket launcher at a problem and it goes away. It's magical.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Slavvy posted:

I'm willing to bet the giant triangular walls were put in place as a substitute for dense trees because of technical limitations.
Stupid trees, having such complicated geometry. :argh:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Slavvy posted:

I imagine they were also put in to limit enemy LOS/wanderlust and direct the flow of the level. The walls look better as brick than if they had a repeating tree texture on them.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I'm trying to think now; is there a single tree in Deus Ex? I remember hedgerows and potted plants but not a single tree.

There's something for conspiracy corner for you...

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

namesake posted:

I'm trying to think now; is there a single tree in Deus Ex? I remember hedgerows and potted plants but not a single tree.

There's something for conspiracy corner for you...

Why else would people store every worthless piece of information on datacubes if not because we have no more paper?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

namesake posted:

I'm trying to think now; is there a single tree in Deus Ex?

Yes, there are, in Liberty Island even - outside UNATCO HQ. Also there are a couple in Battery Park. There's at least one near the clinic in Hell's Kitchen and probably some others but in short: yes.

I mean when 90% of your game is sneaking around in vents, you don't really see a lot of nature, it's true. :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 25, 2014

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Although the few trees there are probably have trouble growing due to the eternal night (every level is night time).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gully Foyle posted:

Although the few trees there are probably have trouble growing due to the eternal night (every level is night time).

My photosynthesis is augmented.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Gully Foyle posted:

I wonder what Deus Ex would be like if it was modded to be daytime in all the levels.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Jolan posted:

You're meant to kill Anna Navarre on your way out of UNATCO for the last time - she drops an essential key on death, assuming she's still alive at this point in the game. However, it's possible to deal enough damage to her that her AI tries to flee, and sometimes this makes her open the otherwise unpickable/undestroyable door. I'm sure Gunther still sends the "You killed Anna, I'm going to kill you." message on your way out, but she will still be alive.
You can get past Gunther without killing him, although it's equally glitchy - he can't be knocked out at any point in the game, but a well-timed tranq dart will disrupt the speech where you can use his killphrase, meaning he never actually becomes an enemy. Maybe the invisibility augs/items work on him as well.

I'm reasonably certain that those two are the only characters who you are assumed to have definitely killed by the end of the game. Everyone else can be bypassed with stealth or knocked out.

I guess while I'm posting all that I might as well say there's a lot of interesting stuff in these videos. I didn't even know about half of the backstory stuff mentioned in the first lecture.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

On Normal, a single GEP round and a few pistol bullets to the foot make Gunther enter fleeing mode - which means you can go right ahead and do your thing, then get out. In the unmodded game you can't be interrupted while using the computer, so you can also rush past him, hack, then run away.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Xander77 posted:

In the unmodded game you can't be interrupted while using the computer, so you can also rush past him, hack, then run away.

I always enjoy watching NSF troopers standing politely waiting to shoot me in the head when I'm done typing. And then mowing them down with the accompanying turret for their patience.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Brofessor Slayton posted:

I'm reasonably certain that those two are the only characters who you are assumed to have definitely killed by the end of the game. Everyone else can be bypassed with stealth or knocked out.

There's also Howard Strong.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Fairly sure you can tranq him, or get him to blow himself up with his own LAMs.

Is there any reference to Strong outside that map? It always seemed weirdly tacked on to me.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Psion posted:

I had to go look him up, because I had no idea who you were talking about. He's the guy on the second-last level who seems to have been deliberately put in the perfect position for you to crush him by leaping onto his head. I can't even remember what he was meant to be guarding.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Psion posted:

Who? Oh, was he on the other side of that hatch your fire a LAW into at the missile base? I always thought that was a weird mission - you basically hop off the chopper, kill some dogs, sneak into the house to get the LAW, fire it and fly to area 51. Interesting, but a bit short.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Who? Oh, was he on the other side of that hatch your fire a LAW into at the missile base? I always thought that was a weird mission - you basically hop off the chopper, kill some dogs, sneak into the house to get the LAW, fire it and fly to area 51. Interesting, but a bit short.

Using the speedrun cheat is just robbing yourself of some perfect MiB sniping tunnel opportunities. Plus the bunkers look all cool and retro.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I've decided to try out a de-sibilancer since my microphone gives me trouble with S spikes. If that's been bothering you, let me know if it's better now; if you hadn't noticed, hopefully you will continue to notice nothing different.

Handouts:

UNATCO Bulletin: Terrorism
UNATCO Bulletin: Threat Profiling
UNATCO Bulletin: NSF
UNATCO Bulletin: Silhouette
UNATCO Bulletin: Triads
UNATCO Bulletin: Others
JC Email: Greetings
JC Email: "Stressors"
Reyes Email: bad nee
Reyes Email: Nano-Aug Briefing
Manderley/Navarre Email: Experiment
Hermann/Navarre Email: New Recruit
Hermann Email: re: Skul-gun
Reed Email: Nationalization
Group Email: Nano-Augmentation Rollout
Handbook: Dedication
Handbook: Welcome
Handbook: Origins
Handbook: Police
Handbook: Press
Handbook: Public
Handbook: The Future
PROJECT DIBBUK
JANINE'S BOTS
A full list of potential nano-augs
Eye Augmentation
Assault Rifle
APR: Bootcamp for Betty
APR: Mass Grave
APR: USA's UN Dues
Midnight Sun: Gray Death
Midnight Sun: Mead from Mars
Midnight Sun: Prez Sells Out

I suppose it's just as well I forgot to check two email accounts considering all the reading material I found. Oh well; you'll get the rest next week.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Haven't watched the Conspiracy Corner yet, being at work, but I have to say antics are one of the greatest things about this game, and I applaud you for indulging. It is endlessly amusing to me that you can do anything from throwing things at people's heads to stuff like stealing keys and supplies, view case sensitive passwords and hack people's computers with them still in the room, and never get a stronger reaction than "Hey! Cut that out!". I work for the government, and though the work I do isn't that important to the grand scheme of things, if I was caught putting furniture on my superiors desk, there would be a much stronger reprimand than allegations that I was a clumsy jokester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I particularly like you playing "the floor is lava" while explaining the 0451 code.

• Locked thread