Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Andy is adorable :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So, so much better than last week.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

drat, Erica had that side-eye look down when they showed her.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Now might be a good time to mention the deleted scene: Burt Macklin's musical re-enactment of JCVD's Sudden Death.

e: Mister Karate?

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 24, 2014

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

This Andy story is flat out the exact plot of a King of the Hill episode with John Redcorn

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dacap posted:

This Andy story is flat out the exact plot of a King of the Hill episode with John Redcorn

Except instead of being a kinda creepy dude with a MILF fetish he's a hilarious manchild.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I was surprised that Tom didn't have anything to do with the chard campaign.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

ZDar Fan posted:

I was surprised that Tom didn't have anything to do with the chard campaign.

It had his fingerprints all over it. It'd be funny if that guy suddenly challenged Tom for marketing supremacy.

I swear to god I laughed the hardest at this joke. Rob Lowe's agonizingly long pause followed by him blurting out the first B in boob just slayed me.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Am I the only one that has literally never heard of a "chard" before?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
It's like Mouse Rat and his movie recaps made a beautiful baby.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Chris reaaaally needed to be a two or three-season character, I'm sick to death of him and Ann and can't wait until they're gone from the show.

Otherwise wooo, Parks and Rec! Still love it and Andy is adorable.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

drunken officeparty posted:

Am I the only one that has literally never heard of a "chard" before?

Be thankful it really is as terrible as they described. It's insanely bitter if eaten raw which is why no one in their right mind has it uncooked. Cooked it tastes similar to spinach and is not terrible.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Im sorry but man this show has dropped off. Blah. It had to happen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Be thankful it really is as terrible as they described. It's insanely bitter if eaten raw which is why no one in their right mind has it uncooked. Cooked it tastes similar to spinach and is not terrible.

Red Chard is sweet and I use it in smoothies raw.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
The fade in to Willie Nelson playing in the headphones was awesome. And Chris relying on raddadsolutions.com for parental advice is the daggiest thing, I love it

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Im sorry but man this show has dropped off. Blah. It had to happen.

I agree a bit. I'm confused why they didn't have Leslie win the recall and then parlay city council into a statewide office as the finale.

It seems obvious that the series will end with her as a state senator or something, but it was a strange decision to put her back in the parks dept.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Waffles Inc. posted:

I agree a bit. I'm confused why they didn't have Leslie win the recall and then parlay city council into a statewide office as the finale.

It seems obvious that the series will end with her as a state senator or something, but it was a strange decision to put her back in the parks dept.

She never left the Parks Department.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The show itself seems to think otherwise, if last week's episode is any indication. It's been quite confusing on that note.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Both within the show and Schur himself have talked about how she still held both positions, so yeah it makes no sense.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I thought this week's episode was really good. Maybe not, like, top five material, but probably my favorite of the season so far besides Ben's plotline in Cones of Dunshire. I thought Emergency Response, Bailout, and Swing Vote were all solid enough episodes last season, though, and they had the same writer, so maybe I just like Joe Mande?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

FadingChord posted:

I thought this week's episode was really good. Maybe not, like, top five material, but probably my favorite of the season so far besides Ben's plotline in Cones of Dunshire. I thought Emergency Response, Bailout, and Swing Vote were all solid enough episodes last season, though, and they had the same writer, so maybe I just like Joe Mande?

Joe is loving great. I was excited for this episode after he tweeted that he "wrote" it. Anyone saying that P&R is on a slide can kiss it. This episode was great. I liked that the A story and B story were pretty even and allowed us to spend time with the characters, without it necessarily being forced.

Also, fun-fact: I know Joe from years back.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

screaden posted:

The fade in to Willie Nelson playing in the headphones was awesome.

That actually bugged me given the format of the show. We shouldn't have been able to hear it! They hadn't done anything like that before and it kinda jarred me. Loved Ron's iPod in general, though.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm pretty sure they abandoned an Office-documentary style after a few seasons. Hell, it wasn't ever a 'documentary' to the degree The Office was.

The "Andy at a kid's party" story also kinda reminded me of another show - Happy Endings - but I still enjoyed it. Burt Macklin investigating stinky feet for the FBI was pretty funny.

Chamberk fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 24, 2014

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Chamberk posted:

I'm pretty sure they abandoned an Office-documentary style after a few seasons. Hell, it wasn't ever a 'documentary' to the degree The Office was.

The "Andy at a kid's party" story also kinda reminded me of another show - Happy Endings - but I still enjoyed it. Burt Macklin investigating stinky feet for the FBI was pretty funny.

And April managing him is a great callback. I think if anything Andy should end up being a musician to some level, and April as his manager.

Honestly, when Parks and Rec ends I think I'd want everyone to have moved on to something they really want to do. But keep Ron there, because his wish is to burn it down from the inside.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Honestly, when Parks and Rec ends I think I'd want everyone to have moved on to something they really want to do. But keep Ron there, because his wish is to burn it down from the inside.

And that will be the final scene, Ron smiling that he managed to get everyone competent to move on to something more important than government work.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bull3964 posted:

And that will be the final scene, Ron smiling that he managed to get everyone competent to move on to something more important than government work.

Or ends with him not doing a scavenger hunt with intricate riddles . You hear that? He would never want to do one of those, especially for his birthday.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Chamberk posted:

RiP Happy Endings. :smith:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

"You know guys, Burt Macklin was kind of a funny character note, but lets finish it off once and for all so Andy can move on and develop."

A season or so later...

"gently caress it, bring Burt Macklin back again as we've got gently caress all else going on for Andy."

Honestly, at this point, they should have let him become a police officer. It would've opened up the show a lot (although any time a character leaves the office its dealt with in such a half arsed way it probably wouldn't of done) and it would've at least given him some logical progression. Also, I can easily believe that the Pawnee Police Department would accept him.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Chamberk posted:

You just had to bring Happy Endings up :(

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Awesome Animals posted:

You just had to bring Happy Endings up :(
That show was amah-zing, 'shups for life. :smith:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

"You know guys, Burt Macklin was kind of a funny character note, but lets finish it off once and for all so Andy can move on and develop."

A season or so later...

"gently caress it, bring Burt Macklin back again as we've got gently caress all else going on for Andy."

Honestly, at this point, they should have let him become a police officer. It would've opened up the show a lot (although any time a character leaves the office its dealt with in such a half arsed way it probably wouldn't of done) and it would've at least given him some logical progression. Also, I can easily believe that the Pawnee Police Department would accept him.

I'm glad they didn't to be honest, anytime cops show up in television there's always that awkward divide between however they're portrayed in the show and the reality that is institutional corruption and power tripping authoritarianism, I'm glad they didn't put Andy in that category. And Burt Macklin was just a one line joke in this episode anyway, the real development was that he's the town's new Freddy Spaghetti and a much nicer one at that.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm glad they didn't to be honest, anytime cops show up in television there's always that awkward divide between however they're portrayed in the show and the reality that is institutional corruption and power tripping authoritarianism, I'm glad they didn't put Andy in that category. And Burt Macklin was just a one line joke in this episode anyway, the real development was that he's the town's new Freddy Spaghetti and a much nicer one at that.

If they did go the route of having Andy become a police officer, or at least attempting to become a police officer, it'd mean they could bring back the hysterically funny Louis C.K. for a few episodes which would be the best thing in the history of the universe.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I think the bizarre way they've broken up the episodes as far as when they run them on tv has made this season seem like it's in more of a slide than it is. Everything before Christmas was fantastic especially the Nope/Jamm karaoke episode but everything post recall has felt like the show has no focus. We've gone a few episodes now of b-plot material which is fine so long as they have something for Leslie to focus on soon.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Illinois Smith posted:

It's like Mouse Rat and his movie recaps made a beautiful baby.

But what if super baby became too powerful?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm glad they didn't to be honest, anytime cops show up in television there's always that awkward divide between however they're portrayed in the show and the reality that is institutional corruption and power tripping authoritarianism, I'm glad they didn't put Andy in that category.

Now I'm glad they didn't do it because we got to avoid an avalanche of posts like this one in a thread about a comedy show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It just seems like there is a lack of interesting characters on the show, April and Andy are pretty much just children at this point and any personality they once had is gone. Ben doesn't get to do much other than being part of Leslie's storylines. I would love to see more of Tom, Donna and Ron since they are the only ones left i really care about.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mo0 posted:

Now I'm glad they didn't do it because we got to avoid an avalanche of posts like this one in a thread about a comedy show.

Way to be obnoxious dude. Parks and Rec is a show which frequently makes social commentary and is literally about a prospective politician, I really don't think it's unreasonable to bring up the real world comparisons they'd be inviting if they made probably their most innocent and kind-hearted character a member of an institution which is at best, heavily controversial, it certainly wouldn't be fitting to the optimistic, humanistic comedy Parks and Rec is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If Andy became a cop he would just be Louis CK's cop character. None of the cops shown so far are bad guys, they are just doofuses.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I wonder if they decided not to have Andy become a cop once Brooklyn Nine-Nine became a thing. Gotta keep all the good cop jokes for the cop show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Way to be obnoxious dude. Parks and Rec is a show which frequently makes social commentary and is literally about a prospective politician, I really don't think it's unreasonable to bring up the real world comparisons they'd be inviting if they made probably their most innocent and kind-hearted character a member of an institution which is at best, heavily controversial, it certainly wouldn't be fitting to the optimistic, humanistic comedy Parks and Rec is.

No, he's right, that'd be a terrible angle for Parks & Rec. Yeah, we get corruption, but this isn't The Wire. I don't think corrupt cops can be portrayed as comically as what Jam or Sweetums does. And plus, like it's been said, all of the cops in Pawnee are doofuses who haven't been shown as anything other than "good cops".

• Locked thread