Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Carnivale looked really drat good but that was a long time ago. Hannibal looks awesome throughout the whole season but it bothers me seeing comedians play the bad guys so many times and it's distracting.

Carnivale and Deadwood both looked better than Hannibal, but it's not really a fair comparison.

A better one would be Kings, which looked AMAZING about half the time.

Note if we're talking about direction and pure cinematography I'd say Hannibal beats em all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

hope and vaseline posted:

Oh my god, I'm watching the first episode of Hannibal. Has there been anything this beautifully shot on the small screen in a long time? I feel like I'm watching a drat movie.

I'd say it's more like watching a dream

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never liked Eddie Izzard as a comedian but he was great in Hannibal.

Also, True Detective is up there cinematography-wise so far, but only in the more important shots. It's not quite as good as Hannibal over a whole episode.

Also, watch True Detective, everybody. edit sorry that the thread is full of idiots who won't shut up about Lovecraft

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 24, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Mollie Shannon in Hannibal is loving amazing. I never thought I would like her in anything, but...

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Molly Shannon's a talented actress who had her career defined by playing annoying characters on SNL, unfortunately. But she can do good work when given the opportunity.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

hcreight posted:

Molly Shannon's a talented actress who had her career defined by playing annoying characters on SNL, unfortunately. But she can do good work when given the opportunity.

Kinda like the 90's Kristen Wiig.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Shannon was awesome in Will & Grace, and I have the good fortune of not having SNL in my country.

Some people's best work is on SNL, though.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

Kinda like the 90's Kristen Wiig.

Pretty much. I suspect Lorne is a big part of the problem here.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Nah, Wiig is the biggest breakout SNL star in recent memory. She's a huge movie star (as well as an Oscar-nominated screenwriter) now and commands well over $10 million a movie.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Joramun posted:

Nah, Wiig is the biggest breakout SNL star in recent memory. She's a huge movie star (as well as an Oscar-nominated screenwriter) now and commands well over $10 million a movie.

Well, yeah, Wiig is doing much better for herself post-SNL thus far than Shannon did. But both were prioritized on SNL for their ability to do loud, abrasive characters. The same applies for the SNL stints of Chris Kattan and Will Ferrell, though Ferrell at least got to mix in a few funny impressions too.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hcreight posted:

Well, yeah, Wiig is doing much better for herself post-SNL thus far than Shannon did. But both were prioritized on SNL for their ability to do loud, abrasive characters. The same applies for the SNL stints of Chris Kattan and Will Ferrell, though Ferrell at least got to mix in a few funny impressions too.

Ferrell also had the benefit of being matched up with Adam McKay, who knew how to write to his sensibilities in a way that didn't make "loud and obnoxious" into something annoying.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Ferrell is also a very talented comedian, unlike Chris Kattan.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Deadpool if you're still feeling some effects from that flu this should clear them right up:

quote:

From Andrew Gurland (Mail Order Wife), Married revolves around the lengths to which two best friends are willing to go in order to salvage their marriage. [Judy] Greer (Archer) plays Lina Bowman, the wife to [Nat] Faxon's Russ Bowman. The couple gets along great in every room -- save the bedroom...Jenny Slate (House of Lies, Parks and Recreation) co-stars alongside Brett Gelman (Kroll Show).

Coming in July.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
"co-stars alongside Brett Gelman" is one of my favorite phrases.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
And to balance that out, they're remaking From Dusk Till Dawn as a TV series.

No, seriously, they've got the Gecko Brothers and Satanico Pandemonium and everything. And filling in for George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino are...

These guys.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hispanic Clooney Youngster and Chubby Ryan Philippe Stand-In?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DivisionPost posted:

And to balance that out, they're remaking From Dusk Till Dawn as a TV series.

No, seriously, they've got the Gecko Brothers and Satanico Pandemonium and everything. And filling in for George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino are...

These guys.

How does that even work? From Dusk Till Dawn didn't exactly have an open-ended plot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's been a while since I've used Hulu - are they often missing random episodes in the middle of what they have available? I just finished episode 6 of Arrow season 2 and let it autoplay the next one, and suddenly the previously on hits me with a bizarre double spoiler for something I hadn't seen yet because it's playing episode 8. Episode 7 isn't there for some reason...? :confused:

Edit: And the CW site is missing both episodes 7 and 8? What.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Are those the guys from Breaking Bad? Because I would watch those guys walk around a mall for an hour each week.

Did anyone else catch Cheri Oteri on Bravo a few weeks ago. I seriously did not recognize her.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Check It Out! With Dr. Steve Brule has a season 3, and episodes start next month.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/22/john-c-reilly-check-it-out-with-dr-steve-brule/

FOR YOUR HEALTH, ya dingus.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I may have missed someone else bringing it up but the long awaited Season 4 of The Boondocks will arrive April 21st.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

raditts posted:

How does that even work? From Dusk Till Dawn didn't exactly have an open-ended plot.

Well, the Gecko Brothers were headed for El Rey in Mexico. Tarantino and Rodriguez admitted that they picked El Rey because they were fans of the classic Steve McQueen film The Getaway and the novel the movie was based on, but in the novel there's a last chapter twist. Where it turns out that any wannabe residents of El Rey would probably be better off fighting vampires.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 25, 2014

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

BSam posted:

Just want to say that the original Rake is one of the best Australian tv shows in recent years. Like any US remake I'm scared they have ruined it, but am cautiously hopeful they've done a good job. Not seen it yet but I will try to soon.

This is exactly how I feel. And everybody should watch the Australian version of Rake, fly out here if you have to. Seriously, even ignoring the Sam Neill Fucks a Dog episode it's still simultaneously one of the best comedies and best dramas on TV anywhere at the moment.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Dear television,

We have a problem. No less than four sitcoms* this week ended with a touching montage played over some ridiculously lovely song. There were no jokes during these montages, no storylines were advanced and we didn't learn anything new about the characters. They were, in other words, utterly pointless. I watch sitcoms to laugh and generally have a good time and when you devote 25% of a show's runtime to sub-Lilith Fair warbling I'm not laughing or having a good time--I'm just bored. Please stop using musical montages as a crutch. Do your job and write jokes. Put your characters into humorous situations that have to be resolved in humorous ways. Be funny, because that's why people watch you.

Sincerely,
Television Viewer

*Mindy Project, Trophy Wife, Community & The Neighbors.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION INCOMING: Okay, I don't want to go into the Memorial thread because it's pretty much devolved into a poo poo hole right now, but I'm re-watching the entirety of Breaking Bad again (girlfriends first time) and does anyone else think that Season Four kind of falls apart after Crawl Space? The last two episodes are so fast, and so choppy that they don't in any way live up to, or pay off, the ending of that amazing 11th episode. It honestly feels like they wanted an extra episode and weren't given it or just wanted to move on from Gus as fast as possible because he suddenly stops being a character and becomes kind of boring villain. Plus, Jesse and his willingness to believe Walt about Brock being poisoned comes across as stupid when he'd done so much growth over the season.

So... Yeah.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Crazy theory incoming: In 1986 Aeroméxico Flight 498 collided with a small plane and crashed into an LA neighborhood. One of the main suspected causes is that the air traffic controller was distracted while trying to deal with an unrelated plane in his airspace. The controllers name? Walter White.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Dear television,

We have a problem. No less than four sitcoms* this week ended with a touching montage played over some ridiculously lovely song. There were no jokes during these montages, no storylines were advanced and we didn't learn anything new about the characters. They were, in other words, utterly pointless. I watch sitcoms to laugh and generally have a good time and when you devote 25% of a show's runtime to sub-Lilith Fair warbling I'm not laughing or having a good time--I'm just bored. Please stop using musical montages as a crutch. Do your job and write jokes. Put your characters into humorous situations that have to be resolved in humorous ways. Be funny, because that's why people watch you.

Sincerely,
Television Viewer

Community actually had a few sweet quips during their montage and unlike the other 3 shows will actually be remembered in 10 years time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Community did not have a montage and the song was a callback to a joke from way back in the first season. They also were doing a really great sendoff for one of their best characters so I think the sentimentality was earned in that case.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MrAristocrates posted:

Community did not have a montage and the song was a callback to a joke from way back in the first season. They also were doing a really great sendoff for one of their best characters so I think the sentimentality was earned in that case.

:siren: COMMUNITY DEFENCE PROTOCOL ACTIVATED - SEEKING THREAD AND POST! DEFEND! DEFEND! :siren:

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 25, 2014

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

:siren: COMMUNITY DEFENCE PROTOCOL ACTIVATED - SEEKING THREAD AND POST! DEFEND! DEFEND! :siren:

MrA might usually be a bit overzealous in his defense of Community, but in this case it's justified.

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 25, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm sorry I enjoy television. I'll stop.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its okay to admit the last episode was disappointing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why do so many of you fall for this guy's shtick again and again?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Cause he's right and secretly they know it but don't want to admit it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Getting kind of sick of the ironic trolls around here. You guys aren't even trying anymore.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Dead Snoopy posted:

Community actually had a few sweet quips during their montage and unlike the other 3 shows will actually be remembered in 10 years time.

Yes, it'll be remembered vividly, but not for the reasons you hope.

People in 2024 chatting on their Google telepathy goggles:

"Hey, what was that sitcom from 10 years ago called again, the one with the most obnoxious rabid fanbase of all time?"
- "Community."
"Oh yeah, right. I'm so glad they all committed mass suicide right after the series finale."

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Dear television,

Sincerely,
Television Viewer

Cliff's singing earlier in the episode was admittedly sub-Lilith Fair, but Dennis Cry-sings Jewel was amazing. :qq:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

If you think any show is going to be remembered 10 years from now then you are naive beyond imagination.

Everything is already in motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irish Joe missed a trick by not watching the last episode of Rick and Morty and posting about that in here instead.

• Locked thread