Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Srice posted:

There's no remake out yet, though they have confirmed that they're making one. Nobody knows when it will come though.

The usual quick and dirty way to get into the UC Gundam setting is:

Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy -> Zeta Gundam TV series (the movies are bad) -> Char's Counterattack

The Zeta movies aren't so much bad as they assume you had watched the show to fill in some stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

The Zeta movies aren't so much bad as they assume you had watched the show to fill in some stuff.

The pacing is hosed up, it mixes 80s and 2000s animation in a very jarring manner, and leaves stuff out so that it will make no sense unless you've already seen the series. I'd say they're bad.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Pretty much the only good bits of Zeta movies were the updated animation, and they were few and far between. Come on Sunrise, couldn't have spared the manpower to fully reanimate the final clash?

Speaking of that, I always thought it was hilarious how they changed the final argument between Kamille and Sciricco specifically to make less sense. "Power flowing through your body? What can that do against a mobile suit?" > "What?!" > "Jokes on you, the Zeta Gundam can use it!" becomes "Power?" > "Yes!" > "The Zeta Gundam can use it!".

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

The pacing is hosed up, it mixes 80s and 2000s animation in a very jarring manner, and leaves stuff out so that it will make no sense unless you've already seen the series. I'd say they're bad.

Outside of the jarring switches I didn't really have an issue with them. I've seen worse compilation movies, but to each their own.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So how would one go about watching these things legally?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zeta Gundam is streaming on Daisuki.net

Sadly neither the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy nor Char's Counterattack are streaming anywhere and for now they are both out of print so I don't think anyone would begrudge you for going the :filez: option.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

So how would one go about watching these things legally?

You can get most of the stuff on amazon, half.com, most retailers. However due to Bandai going under in the state, box set rates have skyrocketed. 08th MS team for example is 129.99 most places, and keep in mind that is twelve episodes.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thank you goons. gonna try real hard not to be a criminal.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Pretty much the only good bits of Zeta movies were the updated animation, and they were few and far between. Come on Sunrise, couldn't have spared the manpower to fully reanimate the final clash?

When the final movie is about 70% new animation, you wonder why they just didn't reanimate the entire thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The most jarring moment burned into my brain was like 10 minutes of Hyukki Shikki being old animation, then 2 seconds of brand new animation throwing away his gun before going to another 20 minutes of old animation. Like, the gently caress was that about?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Tae posted:

Like, the gently caress was that about?

Not enough money to do it properly, as always.

Still not sure why those movies even got made. As far as I'm concerned they don't exist.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It was an anniversary thing, and gave Bandai an excuse to push out Zeta kits.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That's true, we got some weird poo poo they might not have done otherwise so I guess it wasn't a total loss.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EG have started releasing subs for the Gundam Wing BD's.

Hurrah.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The funny thing is that the Zeta Gundam movies performed quite well so after the first one you'd think they would change their minds and make it 100% new animation.

I guess it helped the bottom line to recycle that much, though!

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

You can get most of the stuff on amazon, half.com, most retailers. However due to Bandai going under in the state, box set rates have skyrocketed. 08th MS team for example is 129.99 most places, and keep in mind that is twelve episodes.

At last year's Anime Expo, no one was touching a Gundam Wing box set in one of the booths. You'd see people seeing one, light up with joy that it hadn't been bought yet, check out the price, and right back on the shelf it went.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I had forgotten how loving stupid Gundam Wing was even from the first episode. 'We're on a secret mission!' *every suit gets caught on camera destroying a bunch of poo poo with no attempt at concealment*
Also Heero's beep-boop autistic robot supersoldier poo poo never fails to annoy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sakurazuka posted:

I had forgotten how loving stupid Gundam Wing was even from the first episode. 'We're on a secret mission!' *every suit gets caught on camera destroying a bunch of poo poo with no attempt at concealment*
Also Heero's beep-boop autistic robot supersoldier poo poo never fails to annoy.

That's what qualifies for secret terrorist mission in the Wing universe.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

That's what qualifies for secret terrorist mission in the Wing universe.

Not surprising really given what passes for flirtation for Heero there.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 25, 2014

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Kuroyama posted:

At last year's Anime Expo, no one was touching a Gundam Wing box set in one of the booths. You'd see people seeing one, light up with joy that it hadn't been bought yet, check out the price, and right back on the shelf it went.

Can't blame them either. I'm sure it was upwards of 150ish if not full blown 200. I remember earlier last year looking for the Hajime no Ippo box sets and nopeing right the gently caress out of there when they were 250 a pop.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The existence of Frozen Teardrop retroactively makes Wing look better. For those not familiar with that thing's sheer insanity, a guy on /m/ wrote a plot summary.

Also, if anyone remembers the previous discussion of the Snow White, turns out the Seven Dwarves system wasn't funnels. No, it's stupider.

/m/ posted:

Snow White:
Built upon a MS frame found abandoned inside a Winner family asteroid. These 4 Gundanium frames were supposed to be used in the 2nd Lunar War but never saw the light of the day.

Heero's new MS. Equipped with at least 1 Beam Saber and a new Buster Rifle that resembles a crossbow, also has the Zero System. The new Buster Rifle is even stronger than Wing Zero's but now it's cartridge based.

The Buster Rifle can use special cartridges called the Seven Dwarves which enable wide area devastating attacks. The known ones so far are: Red (creates a flaming bird, used in conjunction with Blue to make a thermal shock attack), Blue (creates an ice swan), Black (creates a tornado) and White (creates a EMP storm which can disable Virgo IVs).

It's supposed to have the angel wings since when it moves it creates feathers.

Uses a special anti nano cloak that both protects it from the Mars nanomachines and from surveillance satellites granting a degree of stealth.

Also the new Sandrock apparently looks like a bellydancer.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Is it wrong for me to want to see this insanity animated?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I get it Sunrise. My fan fiction is really good. You didn't have to copy it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Is it wrong for me to want to see this insanity animated?

Not at all. I want Frozen Teardrop to be animated so much, if only for heavy arms with a cross gatling gun. Everything I've read or seen about it suggests that it has enormous potential to be so bad that it wraps back around to being amazing, unlike AGE or SEED/Destiny which just stayed bad.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I always love how much people are into Heero as this total badass, even though he looses the Wing Gundam just trying to get to earth, gets constantly shitkicked and seems to only be able to point and shoot or self destruct.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chumbler posted:

Not at all. I want Frozen Teardrop to be animated so much, if only for heavy arms with a cross gatling gun. Everything I've read or seen about it suggests that it has enormous potential to be so bad that it wraps back around to being amazing, unlike AGE or SEED/Destiny which just stayed bad.

Yea, I want it animated just because it's so completely crazy, stupid and over the top that it warps back around to be hilarious again. The entire cast is made up of either lookalikes, clones or in one case a hologram of the old cast. There's a fight where one girl keeps trying to get the guy she's fighting (a Trowa knock off I think) to stop and have a picnic during it, on the promise she won't kill people if he does. Just the most bizarre stuff you can imagine.

Apparently the guy doing it is just using it as a test bed for ideas for a Wing sequel, so if he ever gets to make said sequel not all of it may make it in which is a bit disappointing, but enough probably will that it doesn't matter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Also, if anyone remembers the previous discussion of the Snow White, turns out the Seven Dwarves system wasn't funnels. No, it's stupider.

Please tell me the Heavyarms in that has this system :allears:.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
So since it had been forever since I'd seen anything Gundam related and I hadn't watched too much of it anyway, I've decided to watch through the UC stuff in chronological order. I started with the MSG movie trilogy since I had watched the show a few years ago, and I gotta say I liked the television series better. The movies weren't bad but Gundam felt kind of rushed through as a television series, much less as a trilogy.

Regardless I just got through watching War in the Pocket and I can really see why everyone loves it. That was really well done, and I was planning on starting 0083 tonight but I think I'm gonna hold off to reflect on 0080. If Turn A is supposed to be equal or better I'm gonna have to watch that after all the UC stuff. I'm glad this thread is so down on Wing, now I know I can skip it when I get to the non-UC stuff.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think 0083, despite being...not good, is one of the Gundam OVAs I like best, only because it makes me think of the Richie Kotzen cover of The Winner, and it has some pretty nice fight scenes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EGSunBro posted:

I'm glad this thread is so down on Wing, now I know I can skip it when I get to the non-UC stuff.

You can pretty safely skip SEED, Destiny and AGE without missing anything. I'd still give the Wing dub an episode or two though, especially if you like b-movies or cheese, because it has that in spades.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

tsob posted:

You can pretty safely skip SEED, Destiny and AGE without missing anything. I'd still give the Wing dub an episode or two though, especially if you like b-movies or cheese, because it has that in spades.

I'd say honestly that you should at least watch SEED and Destiny. They have some of the most love it or hate it reactions in the series and honestly, while AGE is just bland, it isn't bad. SEED and Destiny however are seen by some as Gundam at the absolute worst or best and you need to form your own opinion on it.

muike posted:

I think 0083, despite being...not good, is one of the Gundam OVAs I like best, only because it makes me think of the Richie Kotzen cover of The Winner, and it has some pretty nice fight scenes.

I like 0083, but for different reasons. Outside of the last episode, it really had a decent amount of pilot development, no newtype shenanigans, and featured actual soldiers instead of random boy meets cockpit scenario. I'm fine with newtype stuff, however 0083 being based solely around who can pilot best was incredibly enjoyable.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 26, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the way the first episode of Wing ends is the best way to see if you'll have fun with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I'd say honestly that you should at least watch SEED and Destiny. They have some of the most love it or hate it reactions in the series and honestly, while AGE is just bland, it isn't bad. SEED and Destiny however are seen by some as Gundam at the absolute worst or best and you need to form your own opinion on it.

Seed's worth watching just to see Kira's english VO technobabble

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

while AGE is just bland, it isn't bad.

I'd agree with this for the first two generations, but like two episodes after Kio shows up AGE fell apart to such an extent I think you can safely call the show bad.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

I'd agree with this for the first two generations, but like two episodes after Kio shows up AGE fell apart to such an extent I think you can safely call the show bad.

I unironically liked the second generation so it balanced out. Keep in mind I also really kinda consider flit's arc to be world building.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AGE is honestly probably the single worst Gundam series in almost every regard aside from maybe SEED's artstyle being eyebitingly worse. Like I've ranted about it before but it makes Destiny look well-written and coherently plotted. It is just awful. The 'best' way to watch it is to watch the movies and even those are pretty bad.

I would at least try SEED. It has defined a lot of what has happened with Gundam since and the context is useful, and some people really do enjoy it. Destiny only if you left SEED feeling like you'd watch a sequel. I can't really unironically call either the worst series as long as loving AGE exists though.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 26, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Even if you left SEED wanting more, I would not recommend Destiny. SEED is ridiculously idealistic, to the point that it flat out worsens the story, but at the very least the show really wanted you to believe that Kira was doing the right thing.

Destiny starts by ditching all of that, and only gets worse. SEED by itself really isn't that bad a show (more boring and disappointing than anything else), but Destiny makes it far worse in hindsight by exacerbating all of its flaws.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Even if you left SEED wanting more, I would not recommend Destiny. SEED is ridiculously idealistic, to the point that it flat out worsens the story, but at the very least the show really wanted you to believe that Kira was doing the right thing.

Destiny starts by ditching all of that, and only gets worse. SEED by itself really isn't that bad a show (more boring and disappointing than anything else), but Destiny makes it far worse in hindsight by exacerbating all of its flaws.

Yeah, I have to completely agree there. SEED was mostly just wasted potential caused by throwing away the interesting setting, natural vs coordinator concepts in depth, and a more interesting supporting cast to focus on the three leads of Kira, Lacus and Flay.

Destiny on the other hand just threw out all the character development of the previous series and pushed the worst aspects to their extremes, despite an interesting first couple of episodes.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

The existence of Frozen Teardrop retroactively makes Wing look better. For those not familiar with that thing's sheer insanity, a guy on /m/ wrote a plot summary.

Also the new Sandrock apparently looks like a bellydancer.

I started laughing in the middle of reading this. Frozen Teardrop is the gift that just keeps giving. :allears:

Contrast it with Age which is more like an exercise in actively trying to be aggressively dull yet mind-bendingly contrived at the same time. Its like the horrible characters from Seed with the sheer stupidity of Wing put in a blender, then rewritten into a vaguely coherent mess by people who never watched a good television show ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

muike posted:

0083 was just this but with mobile suits, which is really all one can ask of that show.

• Locked thread