Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Gorgar posted:

I've never tried an Ampeg. What's the canonical example of their sound for bass? I'm generally used to Fender 6L6 bass amps.

Depends on what head, svt are boomier than hell, the vintage ones have a bit more texture.

v4s are aggressive as heck on bass and loud as heck on guitar.

b25 are one of my favorite recording amps for bass and take pedals ridiculously well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Handen posted:

@syntaxfunction: Fun project. Go for it. A good buddy of mine buys tube amp kits and puts them together for fun. I don't know of any solid state amp kit suppliers but it certainly wouldn't be out of the question.

That's all the encouragement I need! I'll definitely post here when I have some horrible failures.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So NAMM is starting. Orange unveiled these today(50 and 100 watt versions). I'm already considering selling some gear to offset the cost of getting one of these:

http://www.orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-heads/dual-dark-100/

NAMM is the worst.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 24, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dirt posted:

So NAMM is starting. Orange unveiled these today(50 and 100 watt versions). I'm already considering selling some gear to offset the cost of getting one of these:

http://www.orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-heads/dual-dark-100/

NAMM is the worst.

I had a moment when that popped up on the Facebook. Looks great! I'm sure there will be complaints about Orange branching out too much but boohoo there are enough stagnant brands in this industry. I can't wait until some good demos pop up for them.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I'm just glad that someone is finally catering to metal players

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Me too. Been having to make do with Engl and the like.

Wonder how different the new ones are from Thunderverbs. No reverb, and EL34s instead of 6550s on the big one, but otherwise controls look about the same.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
God drat. Kind of wish i hadn't bought my tubemeister now, that Orange looks like a whole bunch of fun.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

At least they left off that worthless loving reverb tank.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Gorgar posted:

and EL34s instead of 6550s

no thanks.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I bet they're going to be pretty expensive.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

jwh posted:

I bet they're going to be pretty expensive.

I'm guessing around 2k or so.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dirt posted:

I'm guessing around 2k or so.

Probably not that much but definitely more than 1k

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Well, I'm finally considering doing something I figured I'd never do. I think I may put my Electric Amp 120W master volume head up for sale. It's amazing and I spent years trying a bunch of different amps until I found the one that sounded exactly like this but I just have no use for it anymore. It hasn't been played in a couple of years, at this point. It's just sitting there collecting dust. I live in an apartment with walls so thin that I can hear what my neighbors are talking about on the phone. A 120W guitar amp connected to a 4x12 cabinet isn't really usable in here. I'm 34 now and will never join another band. It's a sad thing to consider but it certainly doesn't seem unreasonable. The fact I'll likely never find a replacement if I want one back bothers me, though. Argh.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I remember the post you made about the amp when you got it and you seemed really excited. This is a sad day.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Catastrophe posted:

I'm 34 now and will never join another band.
Why not?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

yeah, this. get some buds, get a shed and play! damnit.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Soldered a new jack into the fender amp I had stupidly thought I blew out. Apparently Fender in the past used some lovely plastic festooned jacks. Best part is "Not user serviceable", not serviceable my rear end.

Score one for cheapness.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

So I've been away for a while and my amp has just been sitting there, it's a blackstar ht-1. I started playing it and noticed a lot more background hiss with the gain up, and when I went to turn it down the gain knob is super crackly and weird. Not sure but also maybe less volume than before. I haven't turned it back on since just in case.

What could have happened? I'm a little confused and can't really afford a repair at the moment. If it's just a dodgy pot or something I can probably do it myself, but I'm fearing much worse.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

field balm posted:

So I've been away for a while and my amp has just been sitting there, it's a blackstar ht-1. I started playing it and noticed a lot more background hiss with the gain up, and when I went to turn it down the gain knob is super crackly and weird. Not sure but also maybe less volume than before. I haven't turned it back on since just in case.

What could have happened? I'm a little confused and can't really afford a repair at the moment. If it's just a dodgy pot or something I can probably do it myself, but I'm fearing much worse.

I am having the same issue with my sunn convert lead. has been on hiatus for 2 years and bow the distortion knob is really weak (and can be heard the same despite it being 0 or 10)

haven't opened it up and curious what I should look for before I do.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Over time, and especially long periods of disuse, the contacts inside potentiometers start to oxidize. This causes the crackly noise you hear, because the oxidation is a poor electrical conductor and interrupts the signal path. The fix is to spray some electrical contact cleaner into the pot and rotate the shaft a bunch of times to spread the cleaning goodness around. If you hit Google for something like "how to clean dirty potentiometer," you'll get a ton of results for methods and suggestions on cleaning products. Unless something is physically broken inside, a good cleaning usually solves the types of problems both of you are having. :) Just to hit an important safety point - **make sure the amp is unplugged** before you go burrowing around inside of it for any reason!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did some work on my buddy's JCM 900 4502 combo yesterday and noticed for the first time that he's running EL34s in there. Is that standard? I'm thinking they were sent out with 5881/6L6 tubes? I didn't see any modifications done on the inside but the bias was jacked all the way up. I kinda wanna try it with 6L6s instead, just wondering if that's what they came with in the first place.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Handen posted:

Okay I was just pondering over this earlier; it seems to me that there are an inordinate amount of ML goons who have old Ampeg V series guitar amps, which are not exactly easy to come by. This brings me to my next question: If you are a goon who owns an old Linden NJ V series Ampeg V2/V3/V4/V9/VT40/VT22, please come out of lurking and post what you own, the story of how you came to own it, and why you sought it out. Pictures would be cool too. If there are as many V series owners as I seem to think there are, let's form a goon Ampeg V series club and talk shop tips!

I've got a '70 V4 that came paired with a 1969 B25B cab for $600 bucks from a rednecky guitarist whose band was "upgrading" their bass rig to a new GK Backline head (actually not bad) and cab (utter garbage). When I bought it, he had had it retubed a week earlier and had the receipt, and based on the "upgraded" rig he was showing me I suspected he had no loving clue regarding gear. Recently retubed + selling right seemed to be obvious that it was blowing tubes. When I got it home I found out that the B25B was wired for 16 ohms and he had the amp set to 4. Rewired the cab to 4 ohms and used that as my main bass rig for my 60s-style pop band without issue for over a year. Modded the first channel to match the specs of the V4B preamp.

I sold the cab for $200 after joining more modern rock/soul band and paired the head with an Ampeg 410HLF. I liked the B25B cab quiet a bit, but it definitely could not do a modern sounds with actual low-bass content. Now I'm kicking myself because I'm thinking of getting a baritone or a Bass VI and it would be the perfect cab for either.

Anyway, total cost for the head was $400 bucks with fresh tubes!

It sounds very good into the 410HLF, but is definitely lacking in clean head room due to the lack of a master volume. The cab trades some efficiency for low-end response, so sometimes I end up pushing it pretty hard. I pretty frequently skip the pre-amp and run a SansAmp directly into the line-out on the back, which also effectively works as a pre-amp in. I've tried to figure out a way to boost the signal after the pre-amp and have seen some janky-mods using the reverb tube to do so, but am nervous about making that large of a modification.

CheesyDog fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 26, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
got my v4 for the dirt and grit, that texture is just too good to me.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Acid Reflux posted:

Over time, and especially long periods of disuse, the contacts inside potentiometers start to oxidize. This causes the crackly noise you hear, because the oxidation is a poor electrical conductor and interrupts the signal path. The fix is to spray some electrical contact cleaner into the pot and rotate the shaft a bunch of times to spread the cleaning goodness around. If you hit Google for something like "how to clean dirty potentiometer," you'll get a ton of results for methods and suggestions on cleaning products. Unless something is physically broken inside, a good cleaning usually solves the types of problems both of you are having. :) Just to hit an important safety point - **make sure the amp is unplugged** before you go burrowing around inside of it for any reason!

Thanks a lot for this - I'll give it a shot and hopefully it resolves the crackling!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Most honest ad I've seen in a while - http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/4305932095.html

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm trying to decide between a new amp for jamming and practice, but I have a problem: my local music stores don't carry a large amp selection, and so I have to make a drive an hour to try anything other than a billion Roland Cubes and Line 6 modelers (which I might get, but at this point it's all still up in the air), and things that are lo-fi experimental music units disguised as amps. So I want to get as much input as possible before making the drive, since it's likely I'll either have to sit there and mess with amps for a bunch of hours and then either buy one, go home and decide which to order online, or make another trip after I figure out which I really want.

I mostly play blues, classic rock-sounding stuff, and indie rock poo poo; sometimes I like metal riffing, but honestly it's not a big thing for me at this point in my life. I'd like to be able to, if I ever get up the nerve/energy/time) to perform or join a band in small venues, use it without any trouble in such a setting, as well. I'd be fine with getting a head/cab setup, but I'd prefer the whole package to be under $500, though if the head was near that and I really liked it I wouldn't be too bothered so long as I could get a setup that won't piss off people in my apartment. I've been eyeing some hybrid amps (Fender Super Champ and Orange Micro Terror are the ones I'm eyeballing right now), but again, can't try them without a road trip. Basically, I'm just looking for experiences and suggestions at amps in this range for me to hunt for when I make the trip. I've been playing with one of the worst amps I've ever heard on and off for a decade, and I figure that if I ever want to get serious about the instrument I should junk the thing and get a real amp.

Also, a headphone jack would be awesome, because sometimes I just want to play at midnight. Thoughts?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

While not technically amp related, this made me laugh when looking for some effects pedals.

Sigh. Will never beat the $20 new MXR overdrive pedal I fluked upon today.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm trying to decide between a new amp for jamming and practice, but I have a problem: my local music stores don't carry a large amp selection, and so I have to make a drive an hour to try anything other than a billion Roland Cubes and Line 6 modelers (which I might get, but at this point it's all still up in the air), and things that are lo-fi experimental music units disguised as amps. So I want to get as much input as possible before making the drive, since it's likely I'll either have to sit there and mess with amps for a bunch of hours and then either buy one, go home and decide which to order online, or make another trip after I figure out which I really want.

I mostly play blues, classic rock-sounding stuff, and indie rock poo poo; sometimes I like metal riffing, but honestly it's not a big thing for me at this point in my life. I'd like to be able to, if I ever get up the nerve/energy/time) to perform or join a band in small venues, use it without any trouble in such a setting, as well. I'd be fine with getting a head/cab setup, but I'd prefer the whole package to be under $500, though if the head was near that and I really liked it I wouldn't be too bothered so long as I could get a setup that won't piss off people in my apartment. I've been eyeing some hybrid amps (Fender Super Champ and Orange Micro Terror are the ones I'm eyeballing right now), but again, can't try them without a road trip. Basically, I'm just looking for experiences and suggestions at amps in this range for me to hunt for when I make the trip. I've been playing with one of the worst amps I've ever heard on and off for a decade, and I figure that if I ever want to get serious about the instrument I should junk the thing and get a real amp.

Also, a headphone jack would be awesome, because sometimes I just want to play at midnight. Thoughts?

Super Champ or one of the bigger Fender Mustangs seems like it would be up your alley.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I mostly play blues, classic rock-sounding stuff, and indie rock poo poo; sometimes I like metal riffing, but honestly it's not a big thing for me at this point in my life. I'd like to be able to, if I ever get up the nerve/energy/time) to perform or join a band in small venues, use it without any trouble in such a setting, as well.

Peavey Classic 30s go for about $3-400 on the used market all the time. At apartment/bedroom levels they don't sound amazing, then again no tube amp really does, but they're perfectly fine basic workhorse amps otherwise.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

comes along bort posted:

Peavey Classic 30s go for about $3-400 on the used market all the time. At apartment/bedroom levels they don't sound amazing, then again no tube amp really does, but they're perfectly fine basic workhorse amps otherwise.

Another good choice for cheap tube Peaveys that are well made would be a Delta Blues, they can sometimes be found in a 1x15 configuration and are super versatile (other common config is 2x10, it sounds fine too, but I really dig the 1x15 personally).

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Declan MacManus posted:

Super Champ or one of the bigger Fender Mustangs seems like it would be up your alley.

comes along bort posted:

Agreed posted:

Another good choice for cheap tube Peaveys that are well made would be a Delta Blues, they can sometimes be found in a 1x15 configuration and are super versatile (other common config is 2x10, it sounds fine too, but I really dig the 1x15 personally).
Made the road trip, checked out a few amps. Tried the Micro Terror, didn't like it. Tried a Peavey Classic, liked it, but the used market where I live is extremely hit or miss, and I don't want to try the ebay roulette wheel and hope it works. Tried a bunch of used ones I found at a music store, and I thought I'd hit the jackpot with a Marshall Valvestate 40 for $100, but while fiddling with it the sound entirely cut out. Apparently it's very finicky/broken and that's why it's cheap. Also, hums like a motherfucker. Tried a Line 6 but I was disappointed.

Toyed with a Vox Valvetronix and enjoyed it, as well as an Orange combo. Both are nice amps and reasonably affordable. I then tried out a Fender Mustang III. Awesome, awesome, awesome amp. Gorgeous sounds, lots of flexibility, and loud as gently caress. Tried the II but even though it has the same electronics (I think) it just doesn't sound the same at low volumes. Not as full, maybe? I dunno, might be placebo or something. Also found a Super Champ, and really liked it as well. Not as loud but easily enough for me, and that clean sound is just...:allears:. I was about to leave and meditate on the amp choices in front of me when I saw the one.

Yes, that's a baby blue Fender Super Champ. It was only $300 on clearance, and it's an awesome color. Basically, those two things made the decision easy; I wasn't going to find anything for a comparable price, and that loving color.

I now want one of those classic baby blue Teles to go with it.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Um excuse me, the correct name for the colour of your is Sonic Blue. :reject:

Though seriously dude, 'grats on the new amp. :dance:

Plus here's a real nice blue guitar to match that amp:

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 28, 2014

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Where the gently caress did you get a Sonic Blue JM with a matching headstock?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Remulak posted:

It's not mine, I just stole the pic from this post on OSG.

On a side note, I love how the first post is to put on a tortguard.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

CheesyDog posted:

I pretty frequently skip the pre-amp and run a SansAmp directly into the line-out on the back, which also effectively works as a pre-amp in.

Oh man that's a new trick I've never heard of. Might have to see about putting it to use. Apparently I can stack/jumper my two Legend heads (Rock 'n' Roll 50 and Super Lead 50) together for a combined total output value of 100 watts, whereby one of the amps acts as the preamp and they both share the output duty. Not sure how that works yet but these are the kind of interesting things I like to find out. I also just found out that my Garnet Pro 200 Super has a push/pull master volume knob but no indication of it! I always just assumed it was a standard pot. It's supposed to turn the amp into a fire breathing dragon but mine's not working properly and doesn't change the sound at all, and my amp tech friend is going on vacation for a couple months. :(

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Remulak posted:

That's a thinskin JM. They made them a few years ago.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Handen posted:

Apparently I can stack/jumper my two Legend heads (Rock 'n' Roll 50 and Super Lead 50) together for a combined total output value of 100 watts, whereby one of the amps acts as the preamp and they both share the output duty.
I'd be damned careful about this, it sounds like a surefire method of ending up with a fried input, output section, if not both on both amps.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is a sweet-rear end guitar.

scuz posted:

Did some work on my buddy's JCM 900 4502 combo yesterday and noticed for the first time that he's running EL34s in there. Is that standard? I'm thinking they were sent out with 5881/6L6 tubes? I didn't see any modifications done on the inside but the bias was jacked all the way up. I kinda wanna try it with 6L6s instead, just wondering if that's what they came with in the first place.

This was a stupid question since Marshall shipped them both ways without a standard. Thanks, additional googling! I'm just gonna start plugging poo poo in and see what works.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
That is gorgeous.

Also, embarrassingly, this amp highlights any and all flaws in my playing, and the weaknesses of my guitar (1987 Korean Stratocaster copy; still sounds and plays fine, but I should clean the electronics and get a set up on it). Don't care, am happy as gently caress to finally chuck my lovely old amp into the dumpster. I'd give it away on craigslist but I'd rather not inflict any poor kid with that thing.

Still exploring all the options on it, but I've barely done anything other than play on channel 1 at this point (except at the shop, where I just played a few riffs and chords on each setting). I should just spend a few hours just loving around with all the options, but after the road trip I had a ton of emails to answer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

iostream.h posted:

I'd be damned careful about this, it sounds like a surefire method of ending up with a fried input, output section, if not both on both amps.

It should be okay if he's using the effects loop to bypass the power amp into the input of another amp. Then I guess the effects out of the other amp into the power amp in of the first amp? I'm actually really interested to see what that setup looks like.

(if you are using your speaker out oh my god stop that poo poo right now)