Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
So, I let my boss know that I kinda want more than 25k, asked for 34 hoping to open the negotiation channel down to 32. He's golden with it and I trust him enough to go to bat for me with the owner of my shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Where do you live? You could make more than 32K running a GameStop or something like that (unskilled labor). Depending on where you're at in your career, don't undersell yourself. Hell, very low tier support staff get paid that here in the Midwest.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

GOOCHY posted:

Where do you live? You could make more than 32K running a GameStop or something like that (unskilled labor). Depending on where you're at in your career, don't undersell yourself. Hell, very low tier support staff get paid that here in the Midwest.

It's... a much more nominal wage than what I get currently paid, and I'm sticking it out until the firt year of my career kicks over. Believe me, I know I'm getting shafted hard, but I'm extremely junior in my career, coming up on 10 months, and I get to touch A LOT of things.

Edit: If I wanted a real wage, I'd go across the river into Manhattan and nail an interview or two, but that will also infringe upon my classes at the moment.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 25, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Force10 is the same way, and switching from Cisco was a little weird then I realized it was so much harder to put the wrong port on the vlan and I liked it a lot more.

Kind of reminds me of when I was setting up our Stonegates. Completely, 100% different from ASAs. And I loved it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Edit: If I wanted a real wage, I'd go across the river into Manhattan and nail an interview or two, but that will also infringe upon my classes at the moment.
I hope those classes are teaching you about opportunity costs, because employers tend to base your offer on what you were making at your previous job. Every year that albatross hangs around your neck will be with you for the rest of your career.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Misogynist posted:

I hope those classes are teaching you about opportunity costs, because employers tend to base your offer on what you were making at your previous job. Every year that albatross hangs around your neck will be with you for the rest of your career.

Who the gently caress tells their new employer exactly how much they made at their previous job.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dexo posted:

Who the gently caress tells their new employer exactly how much they made at their previous job.

An idiot who wants to never increase their salary?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

HalloKitty posted:

An idiot who wants to never increase their salary?

1) HR knows exactly how much you were paid previously because they checked with your past employers.
2) Any company that would hold your previous salary over you as a reason to not give you a raise is not somewhere you should ever be working.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

1) HR knows exactly how much you were paid previously because they checked with your past employers.
2) Any company that would hold your previous salary over you as a reason to not give you a raise is not somewhere you should ever be working.

The HR department of your prior employer can only confirm that you were an employee, start and end dates and whether you're eligible for rehire. The only way your current employer can determine your prior pay scale would be if you tell them, or if they demand a W2 from the prior year. If they demand the latter it's not a place you want to work.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

And if they tell them, time to sue!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

My mistake. I was under the impression that salary info was something that was shared. In any case, I don't see how them knowing is a bad thing. Provided you aren't the first one to throw out a number during negotiations.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW
Lie about your salary and offer amounts, always.

I sat an interview about 3-4 years ago and told them I was making 60k when I was actually making 53k.

Got an offer for 60k, right on the nose.

Went back to current employer, said I have an offer for 65k. They countered with 65 and soon bumped me up to 68. Moo ha ha.

CatsOnTheInternet fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 25, 2014

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

lampey posted:

If your skills are entry level you should try talking to recruiters. H-1b visas go to experienced positions that are difficult to fill in my experience.

I am kind of inbetween entry-level and experienced. So you are saying it is easier to get a job in the US if im applying for a position as an experienced programmer?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

I sat an interview about 3-4 years ago and told them I was making 60k when I was actually making 53k.

Got an offer for 60k, right on the nose.

Went back to current employer, said I have an offer for 65k. They countered with 65 and soon bumped me up to 68. Moo ha ha.

Yeah. My policy is that if the recruiter ABSOLUTELY has to have a number, I give them 10% above what my target is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bisse posted:

I am kind of inbetween entry-level and experienced. So you are saying it is easier to get a job in the US if im applying for a position as an experienced programmer?

You'd need to be an experienced programmer and there would also need to be a shortage of experienced programmers. Have you tried Australia if you fancy a change from Europe? From what I've heard they are having to import a lot of their IT talent at the moment.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dexo posted:

A valid point, and I encourage playing hardball with prospective employers about it, but during a background check it's not hard to figure out if you lied about it (at least if you list a huge amount higher than your current salary).

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
I'm going to be starting a new gig with a VAR splitting my time between doing architecture/design for more junior engineers to implement and the other part doing some pre-sales. Really looking forward to it, but it'll be a big culture change after always working internal IT, I think.

Anyone have any advice on making the transition?

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014
Is this where I can post with specific questions about Cisco and VMWare Certification exams I'm about to take? I'm new here, and don't wanna get banhammered for posting in the wrong place.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
You probably won't get banhammered, but the thread you are probably looking for is over here

Welcome to the fold of goons with tech jobs, we've prepared your IV for direct alcohol consumption and a pass to the Corvette Fisher and Dick Trauma Helljob Memorial.

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

You probably won't get banhammered, but the thread you are probably looking for is over here

Welcome to the fold of goons with tech jobs, we've prepared your IV for direct alcohol consumption and a pass to the Corvette Fisher and Dick Trauma Helljob Memorial.

Awesome! Thanks much! Does that IV drip single malt scotch? *pleaseohpleaseohplease*

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I suggest you drink vodka instead because it will not affect your breath.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

This was my policy before, but a recent job I got used a background check company that required paystubs or a w2 for my previous job. So it can backfire I guess, I didn't lie this time though thankfully :yayclod:

They used this company:
http://www.hireright.com/

I ordered the free report after I was hired and everyone is right, previous companies only report your start and end date and your job title. YMMV

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Misogynist posted:

A valid point, and I encourage playing hardball with prospective employers about it, but during a background check it's not hard to figure out if you lied about it (at least if you list a huge amount higher than your current salary).

You don't have to lie, just don't tell them. "I'm not disclosing what I made at my previous jobs." They can detective all they want, the point is that your old salary is completely irrelevant to your new job.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hz so good posted:

Awesome! Thanks much! Does that IV drip single malt scotch? *pleaseohpleaseohplease*

Sorry, only whatever lovely whiskey sells at $10 for a plastic handle in your market!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

pram posted:

This was my policy before, but a recent job I got used a background check company that required paystubs or a w2 for my previous job. So it can backfire I guess, I didn't lie this time though thankfully :yayclod:

They used this company:
http://www.hireright.com/

I ordered the free report after I was hired and everyone is right, previous companies only report your start and end date and your job title. YMMV

Any company that asks for your last w2 is probably a company you really don't want to work for.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Actually I wanted to work for them.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is there a point to asking for your W2 other than to see your previous salary? Like, do they pretend it's for another reason? Or is that literally all it is for?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I can't imagine any other reason. Pretty sure they're not checking to see how much taxes you paid last year.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

I'm going to be starting a new gig with a VAR splitting my time between doing architecture/design for more junior engineers to implement and the other part doing some pre-sales. Really looking forward to it, but it'll be a big culture change after always working internal IT, I think.
Is it where I think it is? Good luck man!

quote:

if you expand a bit more on this I don't mind spilling my brains about it, you also have my number so give me a buzz if talking is easier than typing.

I made the transition from internal to VAR like 3 years ago so I don't mind spilling the beans on my expirence.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

myron cope posted:

Is there a point to asking for your W2 other than to see your previous salary? Like, do they pretend it's for another reason? Or is that literally all it is for?

It can also help them illegally discriminate against protected classes by looking for sick pay, dependent care credits and adoption credits.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

myron cope posted:

Yeah the background check company explicitly said it was for salary verification. That part didn't actually happen until after the offer.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012
Anyone have any resources they can point me to in terms of optimizing performance on MSSQL, Citrix, and MS Server OS'? I am in a position where I tweak and tune these environments all day but I need to reinforce some knowledge and have good resources to reference.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

three posted:

You can make a lot of money, but it's a different power structure. Everything is for the external customer as opposed to internal customers. You'll be a part of the revenue process instead of a cost center. You'll be doing a lot of valuable work pre sales wise with the hope it leads to a big sale. Do you have any idea how your pay is going to be calculated?

I would also venture to guess your workload is going to increase. I know I personally have it pretty easy in internal IT. Nothing major unless a fire breaks out. Salespeople give zero fucks about your time and if you'll be in a sales-engineering/SME role they will have no problem asking you to join meetings with little to no notice/prep, asking you to work outside normal working hours etc. You become the bitch when it comes to the customer. Prepare to spend a lot of time in meetings. Learn to love the webex.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW

Indecision1991 posted:

Anyone have any resources they can point me to in terms of optimizing performance on MSSQL, Citrix, and MS Server OS'? I am in a position where I tweak and tune these environments all day but I need to reinforce some knowledge and have good resources to reference.

What are you looking to optimize in your Citrix environment, specifically?

pram posted:

Yeah the background check company explicitly said it was for salary verification. That part didn't actually happen until after the offer.

I'd walk away from my dream job if I had to surrender that information, as it contains info about my retirement account contributions and how many people are on my health insurance. But to each his own.

CatsOnTheInternet fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 27, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

What are you looking to optimize in your Citrix environment, specifically?

I'd walk away from my dream job if I had to surrender that information, as it contains info about my retirement account contributions and how many people are on my health insurance. But to each his own.

The folks who accept this slimy behavior also keep it around. Its pretty disgusting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Happy monday!

I'm catching the poo poo-end of the stick this morning because some guy's desk printer, which is for some reason connected to the network instead of his local machine, won't get a network connection!

Checked the cables, checked the switch, no dice. "This is affecting production!!" Yes, yes I know it is sir, and I'm working on it as fast as I can, but I can't magically make a JetDirect card work when it inevitably decides to crap out after like... 15 years.

SIGH. Mondays.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Happy monday!

I'm catching the poo poo-end of the stick this morning because some guy's desk printer, which is for some reason connected to the network instead of his local machine, won't get a network connection!

Checked the cables, checked the switch, no dice. "This is affecting production!!" Yes, yes I know it is sir, and I'm working on it as fast as I can, but I can't magically make a JetDirect card work when it inevitably decides to crap out after like... 15 years.

SIGH. Mondays.

Personal printers are at the top of the gently caress printers list.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Printers followed me to Afghanistan, where they are waging an insurgent campaign on my sanity. Today I had to troubleshoot a connectivity issue with an HP and it turned out that it was the NIC on the printer itself. Wanna guess how much paperwork I have to fill out to get the module replaced?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

Personal printers are at the top of the gently caress printers list.

I swear everyone in this whole loving company has their own printer. Then we send helpdesk to change cartridges. What the gently caress?

"We tried one big printer in each department but people spent too much time talking to each other near the printer."

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Solve my people management issues with technology"

See also: blocking Facebook. If people are goofing off at work then blocking a website won't suddenly make them all obedient productive staff.

• Locked thread