Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like this is the kind of information you should've shared at the orientation, Spender.

Also, the fact that the cabin is flesh-and-blood coloured and they appear to be inside a ribcage is quite disturbing.

Prison Warden posted:

It's what you get if you pick Issac and Max together in a team when playing Marvel vs Capcom.

BRB kickstarting Paranatural tag-team fighting game.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

The Leper Colon V posted:

If I hadn't just changed my avatar, you can bet it'd be Forecast Octopus right now.

I've seized this opportunity.

Drakyn posted:

Welp, Max getting to see his mom just got more difficult.

It speaks well for the comic that Max has been able to pretty much only think of how to talk to his mom this entire time without it hurting his character.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

MikeJF posted:

BRB kickstarting Paranatural tag-team fighting game.

How much do you have to donate to get a Starchman Star?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
You don't. If they could get their hands on Starchman Stars they'd use 'em to make the game, not hand 'em out as Kickstarter rewards.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh. Oh no.

quote:

Do you think you can take on the challenge of making a train pun that the fandom hasn't made already? We need more puns about that trained train. And training on a trained train. Or, maybe even a trained train losing it's train of thought while spectral children train on it. Yeah.

I hope you have a good reason for driving me crazy with all these train puns. I hope you have a…

loco motive.

:negative:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Looks like he got a bit carriaged away.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
http://firstnamezacklastnamemorrison.tumblr.com/post/74493906531/gigidigi-some-doodles-including-draks-clawdia

Gigi continues to be the best Paranatural fan.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Get some dang eggs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Speaking of tumblr:

quote:

itsbenedict asked: So if a spirit could possess the moon, does that mean one could possess the Earth? Is there some power : size ratio for possessing things, or could any old thing hypothetically possess the planet?

Yeah, there’s a hazy power/size ratio thing at work. If you see something really big get possessed in the comic it’ll be by an equally big and powerful spirit.

Obviously it's nothing concrete, but that general rule either has to not work in reverse, or Max's world magnet serpent isn't actually as huge as we've been led to believe. Or it's an exception. Who knows!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Countblanc posted:

Speaking of tumblr:

Obviously it's nothing concrete, but that general rule either has to not work in reverse, or Max's world magnet serpent isn't actually as huge as we've been led to believe. Or it's an exception. Who knows!
Maybe he had to possess something small because he got the absolute poo poo beaten out of him.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Or it could be as simple as "while you need to be pretty swole to possess something really big, being swole as gently caress does not preclude possessing something smaller".

Capacity =/= Necessity

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Countblanc posted:

Speaking of tumblr:

Given the whole "broken god" and "I didn't get the sense of humour" bits, I've been assuming Max's bat only contains a small fragment of a much larger spirit.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Isaac got possessed by a raging thunder god and he's a lame little nerd.

Then again, he has a BIG HEART

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Splicer posted:

Given the whole "broken god" and "I didn't get the sense of humour" bits, I've been assuming Max's bat only contains a small fragment of a much larger spirit.

"I didn't get the sense of humor" is referring to Max's sense of humor.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Oblivious posted:

"I didn't get the sense of humor" is referring to Max's sense of humor.
Do you have word of Zack on that? It's a common theory in the website comments.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Physical size does not imply large power.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Splicer posted:

Do you have word of Zack on that? It's a common theory in the website comments.

Website comments are notoriously bad at basic reading comprehension. Scrapdragon is making it doubly apparent that Doorman is no longer talking to Max. No word of the author needed to discern that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Website comments are notoriously bad at basic reading comprehension. Scrapdragon is making it doubly apparent that Doorman is no longer talking to Max. No word of the author needed to discern that.
I guess we'll agree to disagree?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Splicer posted:

I guess we'll agree to disagree?

I had limited time earlier. Anywho there are more problems with the theory. For one, it makes the assumption that A) It's even possible for a spirit to fragment into multiple consciousness, which to my knowledge we have no evidence that is a thing and B) Assumes that broken means broken into pieces, as opposed to the more straightforward interpretation wherein "broken god" simply refers to being reduced to a parasite dependent on a human child for energy.

All things being equal the simplest explanation least reliant on wild conjecture is probably the correct one.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I sorta assume it's like a strength thing. Someone strong enough to lift a car can still lift a milk jug

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Also, possessing the moon would make it hard to lure a spectral over to leech off of. :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Physical size does not imply large power.

Actually, I think it would. I get the impression that spirits don't have much in the way of a distinction between their essence and form: thus, their forms would directly reflect what they are. The Doorman is a door: his form is a direct expression of his ontological essence. And remember that the bat-spirit from the first chapter shrank as it weakened.

And if something is huge? It's probably strong.

Splicer posted:

Looks like he got a bit carriaged away.

Thankfully this didn't start a derail.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

All things being equal the simplest explanation least reliant on wild conjecture is probably the correct one.
I don't think you really "get" webcomic discussion threads.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Actually, I think it would. I get the impression that spirits don't have much in the way of a distinction between their essence and form: thus, their forms would directly reflect what they are. The Doorman is a door: his form is a direct expression of his ontological essence. And remember that the bat-spirit from the first chapter shrank as it weakened.

And if something is huge? It's probably strong.

Adding to this, Eightfold was described as weak and she's pretty small as spirits go.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Thankfully this didn't start a derail.

Man these train puns are hard to come up with. Back to basic training for me!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Splicer posted:

I don't think you really "get" webcomic discussion threads.

That's much more accurate.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of cool Paranatural fanart:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Emphasis mine. I think this is the crux of it. A big, powerful spirit, sufficiently weakened, could probably possess a can opener or something.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Max: Ness
Isabel: Paula
Ed: Jeff
Isaac: Poo

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

But who will be Lucas, Boney, Kumatora, and Duster?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm surprised nobody ever pulled an av from the second-last panel here :allears: http://paranatural.net/chapter-3-page-29/

Edit: Along with about half of the panels on half of the pages in this entire comic, maaaaannnnn.

The knowledge I've picked up so far has made this reread even funnier somehow :allears:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 26, 2014

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Level Slide posted:

But who will be Lucas, Boney, Kumatora, and Duster?

Did you not notice how many people are in Johnny's gang

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
http://paranatural.net/chapter-4-page-73/

Spender continues to be the biggest dork.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
That's a good point. Just what IS the purpose of the barrier?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just realized that he's already explained why the barrier can't be passed through by just any sufficiently powerful spirit. On the previous page he says "The Ghost Train is an exception. Its power warps anything it wants out of its way, including the barrier". I initially read this as more of a general statement - the Ghost Train is powerful so it can warp the barrier out of its way. But more specifically it means that the train's unique power is warping things so they don't touch it as seen by the trees on the latest page, and Spender's face on this one.

Probably obvious but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

I'm guessing the barrier is to keep certain dangerous things inside, since those dog things, for instance, are already in there. Though there's no reason why it couldn't also be keeping things out.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Slime posted:

That's a good point. Just what IS the purpose of the barrier?

Presumably to keep nasties like Forgedude from crossing the border and taking our jobscausing havoc.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I love the alt text, I love this comic.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I just realized that he's already explained why the barrier can't be passed through by just any sufficiently powerful spirit. On the previous page he says "The Ghost Train is an exception. Its power warps anything it wants out of its way, including the barrier". I initially read this as more of a general statement - the Ghost Train is powerful so it can warp the barrier out of its way. But more specifically it means that the train's unique power is warping things so they don't touch it as seen by the trees on the latest page, and Spender's face on this one.

Probably obvious but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

I'm guessing the barrier is to keep certain dangerous things inside, since those dog things, for instance, are already in there. Though there's no reason why it couldn't also be keeping things out.

I'm honestly inclined to suspect the barrier exists (at least in part) to keep things in, like Scrapdragons "faction" (which of course begs the question, what are they factionalizing over?) and the implicitly existent factions working against him/it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

I'm honestly inclined to suspect the barrier exists (at least in part) to keep things in, like Scrapdragons "faction" (which of course begs the question, what are they factionalizing over?) and the implicitly existent factions working against him/it.

Pretty much everything is pointing towards Something being contained in Mayview, yeah. I would have laid bets on it being Isaac's spirit (explaining why Spender wants to keep him somewhat hidden and out of the loop) if not for Spender mentioning in this very comic that Isaac has been outside Mayview before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's the giant slumbering spirits over which dirt has accumulated to form the twin hills of Mayview.