Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

For every insular, often disorganized grognard group officially recognized on campus, there are probably two groups of better players hiding out there at the college somewhere. There was a similar split in my campus group at college that tended to divide by which people were friends with the group leader, who thought he was hot poo poo, and which hated his stupid guts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

QuantumNinja posted:

You're a grad student, which means you're one soul short of being a full, job-holding adult. To be honest, I've always felt funny about socializing that heavily with people who might show up in my classes. Stop letting undergraduates get under your skin, and go meet some cool people and have a good time.

Also, maybe try to talk to some people who are running campaigns in your area: https://www.obsidianportal.com/map I'm sure there's a ton of cat piss to wade through, but if you can find a solid group you're in business.

Yeah, I know, I know. Thanks for reminding me about ObsidianPortal though, I had forgotten to check that.

I know I should just give up on them, and I am, and I have, in my heart, but it still sucks that so many people who could be shown the Sacred Ways of Funhaving are stuck playing 3.5 with "Watching an unmoving pack of herbivores for 3 hours is fun, right guys?" DMs. :smith:

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

For every insular, often disorganized grognard group officially recognized on campus, there are probably two groups of better players hiding out there at the college somewhere. There was a similar split in my campus group at college that tended to divide by which people were friends with the group leader, who thought he was hot poo poo, and which hated his stupid guts.

I'd like to parrot this. I moved to grad school, didn't know anyone, met a few friends in class, mentioned tabletop games to one, found out he was in a group, got a year and a half of games. That group fell apart, I talked to a few of my other friends, put my own group together. It fell apart because of academic obligations (I don't have enough time to run) and stuff, but I know at least four people I could ask right now to put a group together if I got the time. I don't know what you're studying, but there are tons of nerds in hiding everywhere and you just gotta bring it up!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

QuantumNinja posted:

I'd like to parrot this. I moved to grad school, didn't know anyone, met a few friends in class, mentioned tabletop games to one, found out he was in a group, got a year and a half of games. That group fell apart, I talked to a few of my other friends, put my own group together. It fell apart because of academic obligations (I don't have enough time to run) and stuff, but I know at least four people I could ask right now to put a group together if I got the time. I don't know what you're studying, but there are tons of nerds in hiding everywhere and you just gotta bring it up!

Yeah I know, that's how I got my incredible undergrad group together.

But last time there wasn't Funhaving Injustice involved :black101:

For real though, I honestly have given up on them. gently caress 'em, I'm done. I feel bad leaving all those poor uneducated souls to rot, but maybe they'll show up in my classes and I'll risk getting fired by bringing them into the fold. I'll keep checking the forum in case someone posts a sane-sounding game, or maybe occasionally use it to get a Dungeon World game going. But as for meetings? gently caress it, no gaming is better than bad gaming. Or maybe I'll just go, get a little liquored up beforehand, and Funhave as hard as I can Funhave.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 25, 2014

Patience
Jul 1, 2006
Success on someone else's terms don't mean a fucking thing.
We started playing a time-traveling goblins adventure.

No time-traveling yet, but so far we have wrecked a bunch of things, killed dogs, started fires, pickled halfling toes and found cool hats.

This is going to be good.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Patience posted:

We started playing a time-traveling goblins adventure.

No time-traveling yet, but so far we have wrecked a bunch of things, killed dogs, started fires, pickled halfling toes and found cool hats.

This is going to be good.

Make sure that when time traveling does happen, you travel through time stealing famous hats.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

QuantumNinja posted:

This, too. In undergrad I ran a semester-long campaign on Wednesday evenings, because undergrads don't have anywhere to be on Thursday morning unless they have terrible schedules and everyone drank from Thursday to Saturday. I've also played Sunday afternoons, Tuesday evenings, and Saturday evenings.

goatface posted:

Maybe it's different over here in the UK, but every regular game I've ever played associated with a university thing has been on a weekday evening other than Friday. Is there a huge thing in the US about not doing anything on a week-night that we never see?

I left the UK just in time to not to do uni there and I've been in NA for a long long time, so forgive my ignorance of the British university system. In America, most universities have classes M-F with a few even on weekends. Some schools, usually dumbass public ones who care about sport more than actual academics, have limited or no Friday classes, but by and large it's during the traditional working week. People are the most tired on Friday night and most in need of recreation, so that's the popular night. My university there was your typical big public school and the Gamer's Guild there met, you guessed it, on Friday night.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jon Joe posted:

Make sure that when time traveling does happen, you travel through time stealing famous hats.
At least three of these hats should be the same hat stolen at different time periods.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Doomsayer, I've vaguely remember you saying you'd have to make a first level character for the 3.5 game but I'm on my phone and can't be bothered checking, but if not I would suggest:

1) make a wizard
2) destroy campaign

Heck there's probably some ridiculous 1st level build / options that'd let you mess with stuff pretty good, a diplomancer or something. Just make sure to ask about house rules first.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Splicer posted:

At least three of these hats should be the same hat stolen at different time periods.

Are you suggesting that they steal a hat at different points in its own timeline? They'd end up stealing it from themselves eventually. Or make it cease to exist.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Green Intern posted:

Are you suggesting that they steal a hat at different points in its own timeline? They'd end up stealing it from themselves eventually. Or make it cease to exist.
Yes I am, and if you've never punched out your past self to steal back your own hat then you haven't lived.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

rock rock posted:

Doomsayer, I've vaguely remember you saying you'd have to make a first level character for the 3.5 game but I'm on my phone and can't be bothered checking, but if not I would suggest:

1) make a wizard
2) destroy campaign

Heck there's probably some ridiculous 1st level build / options that'd let you mess with stuff pretty good, a diplomancer or something. Just make sure to ask about house rules first.

This is my current plan but replace "Wizard" with "Druid".

Their house rules are pretty much: "PHB 1 and 2 only. Nothing else. Ever." save for their awful Prestige Classes that are probably broken as hell but I'm certainly not going to be the one to read them.

My final plan is to just go attend the club games, Funhave from within. Best case scenario I find some sane people, worst case I have more fodder for the thread :v:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Splicer posted:

Yes I am, and if you've never punched out your past self to steal back your own hat then you haven't lived.

I'm seconding this motion.
Travel through time, steal your own hat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

the_steve posted:

I'm seconding this motion.
Travel through time, steal your own hat.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Now imagine a party of jackasses with swords show up, and steal the ball closest to the cliff...

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
In my first ever D&D game, our Water Elemental mage cast Magic Curtain on himself. My first pen and paper experience was someone turning himself into a literal shower.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Captain Bravo posted:

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Now imagine a party of jackasses with swords show up, and steal the ball closest to the cliff...

Then they steal the other 3 balls, and go off to destabilize the local economy with their piles of loot.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Well the dimension-hopping celebrities game I mentioned before just ended. It was pretty big, with six players plus GM, we set out to intentionally create the stupidest Everything Fanfiction we could, and it was magical. I've only laughed this much at a game, like, once. The entire plot hook was "Inspector Gandalf of the Interdimensional Time Police orders you to find a group of villains causing trouble in the Witcher universe" and that was only the start of the rabbit hole. Highlights:

- One of the villains was Heinz Guderian plotting to arm Scoia'tael (elven and dwarven guerrillas, for those unfamiliar with the Witcher universe) with tanks and APC's.

- We failed to foil an attempt on a local mayor's life, but Agent Lovelace's portable analytical engine allowed her to identify Carlos the Jackal as the culprit. True to form, Carlos got away.

- Our team included H.G. Wells, except the "female steampunk inventor" version of Wells from Warehouse 13. Her technical expertise introduced Agent Torquemada to incendiary weapons. The results were terrifying.

- Agent Engels acquired intel by using his magnificent beard to pose as a very tall dwarf. Having found out about a supply dropoff this way, we laid a trap against a unit of Scoia'tael. The trap consisted simply of putting Agent Schwarzenegger in a box, leaving it there to be opened and waiting a safe distance away for the screaming to end.

- The climax of the session was a lightsaber duel between Darth Vader and Friedrich Engels. It wasn't going well, but Agent Kennedy (that's me) managed to insult Vader so hard about being a loser as a teen that Torquemada could defeat him with his psychic powers.

Have I mentioned that I love my group? Because I loving love my group. FATE is an incredible system for this kind of thing, by the way. Half the fun of the game was figuring out creative ways to tap into iconic characters' aspects.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I ran a Fate game on Friday, converting Grimm (the RPG, not the TV show). The setting for Grimm is simple: real life children get sucked into germanic fairytales.

One thing I recommend with Fate oneshots is to create characters ahead of time, but give players options. Since Grimm already had archetypes, I took the six interesting ones and filled out 3 aspects, 3 stunts, and most of the skill pyramids. I also gave each character two names (a male and a female; pick one).

For the other two aspects, I listed three questions at the bottom of the sheet. These were kind of like the Monsterhearts String questions.
(For the Bully: Who stood up to you, and what’s keeping you from pounding them into the dirt?
For the Popular Kid: Someone called you a snob, and someone else agreed. What did you do to make the situation worse?, etc.)

Out of that, we developed our party: Matches, the outcast with the Rough Home Life, Alexis, the Spoiled-Rotten Fashion Plate; and Daryl, the Suggestible Dreamer.

Though I've played a few games with "Daryl" and "Alexis" before, it was Match's first RPG since since he was in jr high.

A cool thing about 3rd grade characters is that "being in character" is never far away from "compelling your trouble aspects". Alexis wouldn't share the pony they found, initiating social combat. Daryl paid the "suggested donation" to enter the vault of the Duchy of Ducats, even though the cost was all the money they had; the incredibly shy Matches fled the first time more than five people looked at him simultaneously.

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010
Another good story from the Unknown Armies campaign I mentioned a few pages back.

Before getting onto the content of the adventure itself: One of the party is playing a therapist and started this session off with a 40 minute group therapy session for the party, to address the awful stuff they've been through since discovering the occult. The player even prepared evaluation forms and questionnaires which she brought to the session and handed out. There was some great character development.

The group has a collection of notes left behind by the owner of the RV they've "borrowed", a guy named Dale who appears to have been heavily involved in dealing with the occult. They've decided to follow one cryptic note which reads "Where is Cathelroy? It's meant to be in South Dakota. Too many artifacts left there, must find it. King Arthur's home, KB2562."

After some aimless driving across South Dakota, stopping occasionally to question bar staff and truckers about the location of anywhere called Cathelroy (and leaving quickly every time the party Kleptomancer lifted a trucker's keys and wallet) they manage to establish that lots of people think they might have heard of this town but no one can recall where it is or precisely what context they remember the name from.

Some more investigation of maps and they eventually work out a place where it looks like a town should be, but isn't. They get there, and with a little effort find themselves in Cathelroy. Only Cathelroy appears to be the happiest 50s town everywhere, where everything is nice and everything is always wholesome.

The first thing they do is spot a place called Camelot Self Storage, figure out the "King Arthur's home" thing and that KB2562 might be a key number. The owner of the business is happy to help them, and eager to tell them that nobody is doing anything wrong in this town. Nobody is stopping anyone from leaving.

They collect a whole pile of assorted mystic crap from Dale's storage locker (which I am looking forward to them experimenting with) including voodoo dolls of themselves bound in red ribbon, with the note "Phase 1: Get them all together somehow."

More quizzing of the guy who runs the place and it seems he can't remember a time when it wasn't 1952. He assures them that he isn't lying about that, that he wouldn't lie. After all lying isn't what wholesome business owners do. He's here to help them in an affable and friendly manner, and file his taxes on time. Who's making him act so weird? Why, nobody. Who's trapped this town in 1952? Nobody did that. Who did he vote for in the recent mayoral election? Nobody, just like everyone else. Nobody cares. Nobody will keep the town safe.

The group start to suspect that maybe Nobody is somebody and go to check out the mayor's office. His secretary is the embodiment of 1950s secretary and with a little magic they get past her into his office. Key things they find there: A phone book for the town with all the names tippexed out and descriptions written over them: "Barkeep", "My Secretary", "Enforcer", "Friendly homeless man", "Honest priest", and so on. There's also a very nasty magic trap in a desk draw, protecting a photo of nine men in suits, 8 with black Xs marked over their face, the 9th with his face cut out of the photo. They put this together with everything else and stuff they learned previously to work out what's going on: In the late 90s a cabal of 9 men wielded the power of True Names and generally used them for good. One of them got drunk and killed a girl, tried to cover it up with his magic, so the rest of the cabal cast him out and stripped him of all names. They made him Nobody. Well now Nobody has found a town and taken it's name away, turning it into his own private playground.

Oh, and someone told them that tonight the local highschool is having a (wholesome) Homecoming. And who's going to be crowned Homecoming King? Nobody is.

Next session we'll find out what they plan to do about Nobody, and I'm sure those three people named Enforcer in the phonebook won't be an issue...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Some of you may remember me posting in this subforum back in 2011 the story about the cursed +2 Dongsword that one of my players just absolutely could not get rid of. That same guy passed away this past Friday from cancer. He was one of my best friends in all the world, and a great man who loved a good laugh, so for this thread in his memory, I wrote up the Dongsword as a proper Artifact. It's thoroughly jokey but I tried to write it D&D-flavored and appropriately Artifact-powerful so if anyone wants to drop it on their players, well, theoretically you should be able to.

quote:

THE DONGSWORD
Artifact

The origins of the Dongsword are somewhat unclear, though it was obviously created by one of the most obscene (and, perhaps poetically, powerful) wizards in history. It has had many owners, but very few of them have actually wanted it. Most adventurers regard it as one of the awfulest cursed items in the universe, but this is far from the truth.

When dormant--when the previous owner is either asleep in the case of one who doesn't want it, or dead in the case of one who does--the Dongsword appears to be an ornately decorated and powerful weapon, tempting all who lay eyes upon it to take it. Upon being taken, the next time the adventurer examines it or attempts to identify its magical properties, it transforms into a giant, floppy, rubbery, phallus of an embarrassing neon color. At this point, it functions as a +2 Longsword that does Piercing/Blunt damage instead of Slashing, and the adventurer can wield it comfortably as if they were proficient with it (even if they don't have the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat).

If the adventurer attempts to rid him or herself of it, it will return to their possession in 1d2 days in their sleep, magically placing their sidearm of choice in their pack and taking its place on their person. For example, it will appear hitched to a fighter's belt where his scabbard usually is; switch places with a wizard's quarterstaff; take the place of the arrows in a ranger's quiver; and if a thief has a special hidden blade contraption, the Dongsword will shoot out of the spring-loaded weapon in the place of the expected blade.

As amusing and generically powerful as it is, the Dongsword does come without its downsides. Once a week, it must be swung around in a high-traffic public area in broad daylight while loudly singing a bawdy song; if not, the owner is afflicted with a Geas until they do. This effect cannot be removed, even by a Wish or Miracle, but its ability score penalties vanish immediately upon being fulfilled. The weapon is aware of whether or not its possessor is ABLE to do this, however (for example, if an adventurer is stranded on a desert island with little hope of rescue), and will not afflict him or her with a Geas in such scenarios.

Being an exceedingly crude item, the owner suffers a -8 penalty to social checks against any NPCs who know they have it and who would be socially compelled to be offended (for example, members of the nobility or the priesthood, or even just generally stuck-up citizens). It is also fairly unwieldy and the holder takes a -4 penalty to Sneak and Escape Artist checks as it flops around misguidedly.

Anyone who wishes to rid themselves of this weapon will find it exceedingly difficult. It can only change owners when its previous one dies and it is found by a new wielder, or if it is stolen from one who wishes they never found it in the first place by an unwitting thief. It can also be bequeathed to a new owner, but only by someone who cherishes it.

On the other hand, anyone who is thoroughly titillated at the prospect of being this weapon's master will find that it is, in fact, much more powerful than a simple magic sword. They cannot simply state that they like this weapon: it must become their favorite weapon in battle. They have to walk through town with it slung over their shoulder like some kind of obscene greatsword or proudly hung from their belt buckle. They have to be proud to make crude jokes about it. They cannot be ashamed of the Dongsword even the slightest bit.

Upon being acknowledged by its owner in this manner, the Dongsword will magically transform to suit their every need, and only get more powerful with its wielder.

The accepted Dongsword will always:
* Function as the melee weapon of their choice, though always doing Blunt/Piercing damage instead of the weapon's regular damage type.
* Grant them Quick Draw, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization (as the Fighter feat) in that chosen weapon.
* Emit bright white light as a bullseye lantern in the direction it is pointed on command.
* Act as a magical weapon. It starts at +2, and at 9th level and every three levels thereafter increases by +1 up to +5 at 15th level, ignoring damage reduction appropriately.
* Provide the owner with a +2 Inherent bonus to Charisma. If the owner's CHA is still below 12 with this bonus, it immediately becomes a 12.
* If stolen, immediately returns to the owner's possession the moment the thief takes his eyes off it; even blinking will do the trick.

When the owner is at least 5th level, it will:
* Cast Magic Missile using the player level as CL 3/day.

At 7th level:
* Gain an elemental property: 1d6 Flaming, Frost, Corrosive, Shock, etc. This can be changed as a Quick Action.
* Cast Web using the player level as the CL 3/day. Use the caster's CHA to determine the saving throw.

At 9th level:
* Grant Improved Critical and Greater Weapon Focus for the Dongsword's weapon type.
* Cast Reckless Infatuation using the player level as CL 3/day. Use the caster's CHA to determine the saving throw.

At 12th level:
* Grant Greater Weapon Specialization for the Dongsword's weapon type.
* The Dongsword's reach is increased by 5ft when wielded by a Medium or smaller user. It can still threaten and target the squares it could previously.
* Gains a Burst elemental property. The element can be changed as a Quick Action, and at the same time as changing the previously-granted elemental property.
* Cast Charm Person using the player level as the CL 3/day. Use the caster's CHA to determine the saving throw.

At 15th level:
* Gains the Vorpal property even though it isn't a slashing weapon.
* Cast Prismatic Spray using the player level as the CL 3/day. Use the caster's CHA to determine the saving throw.

At 18th level:
* Cast Dominate Monster using the player level as the CL once per day. Use the caster's CHA to determine the saving throw.

At 20th level:
* The Dongsword's reach is increased by another 5ft.

Destruction: The Dongsword can only be destroyed by coming into the posession of and being embraced by a patron deity of chastity. Its ultimate purpose served by making the world a lewder and more chillax place, both it and the god explode in a brilliant white light, never to be seen again.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 29, 2014

Patience
Jul 1, 2006
Success on someone else's terms don't mean a fucking thing.
A fitting requiem.

Our condolences.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for your loss. Makes me feel awkward to admit that springing from the wrist sheath made me giggle, but the level 20 ability made me lose it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Honestly, I don't know a single person who I would both want to play with and would not think the Dongsword is the greatest weapon in existence.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Firstly, let me extend my condolences for your loss.

Secondly, you should have the "sword" change colour to match the mood of the wielder.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

JustJeff88 posted:

Firstly, let me extend my condolences for your loss.

Secondly, you should have the "sword" change colour to match the mood of the wielder.

You just put the phrase 'mood cock ring' in my head.

drat you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FredMSloniker posted:

You just put the phrase 'mood cock ring' in my head.

drat you.
Exactly how many moods would such a thing really need to convey.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Splicer posted:

Exactly how many moods would such a thing really need to convey.
Exactly as many as a cock already conveys.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One step closer to Saints Row: The RPG.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Leper Colon V posted:

Exactly as many as a cock already conveys.

Can you put that in chart form? Possibly like that Angry-Scared dog facial expression chart?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sure can.

code:
Aroused | Not Aroused
    /         ,

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Sure can.

code:
Aroused | Not Aroused
    /         ,

what about 'Aroused but scared' or 'confused and aroused' or 'oddly aroused'

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
code:
Confused and aroused | Oddly aroused
             ?               &
Someone else can handle 'aroused but scared'.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Stallion Cabana posted:

what about 'Aroused but scared'

~

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Sorry for typos, real late here.

Oh for gently caress's sake False Man, stop screwing up every single negotiations

So we had another RT session, a long one mostly considering the war between Winterscale and Chorda - but since everyone else was late the DM had a short solo section for my Genetor regarding the Harlequins I'd wanted to contact last session, because one of the members of the Koronus Cabal wanted to get into the Black Library. My Inquisitor friend contacted me and ferried me into the Nexus of Shadows, a place ruled by Dark Eldar, where he guided me into the middle of a Harlequin play where their Shadow Seer told me I would get the right to either visit the Black Library or give the right to someone else, if only I would be tested by taking part in their play depicting the Eldar Fall - the event when Slaanes came into existence. The section of the play I was supposed to play in was the part where one of the Eldar gods, Sheogorath the Laughing God fights against She Who Thirsts, Slaanesh. And the play was played with real swords - and his was a horrifying Witch Blade that does shitloads of damage. The fight was a bizarre puzzle fight and it took me a couple of rounds to figure out what to do, the first few were just me analyzing it like a fight before I realized that it was till a play. So I begun to play my part and started yelling in villainous ways every round - whenever I said something particularily good the Shadowseer didn't dodge my hit with his retarded 80% dodge chance + reroll dodge. Eventually my part in the play came to an end when I managed to do critical damage to the Shadowseer and I was told to wait for the play to end and then decide whether I would take the chance to visit the Black Library or whether I'd give it to the Inquisitor who had wanted to visit the Black Library. While I was waiting for the play to end I smoked hallucinogenic drugs with a random Eldar. It was weird. What made it slightly weirder was the presence of pillows made of human skin. It was probably a deliberate insult but I ignored it.

Eventually the Shadowseer arrived after I sobered a bit from my drugged up state, and I had to choose whether I'd use the right to visit the Library or give it to Inquisitor Cortez who wanted the right. The Eldar had told me that if Inquisitor Cortez were to visit the Library, he would find his answer but die immediately afterwards. Now doing that would mean that Cortez would be happy and he would not believe that he would die, but we would lose an asset. But if I didn't give Cortez the right... Well, we had technically not originally promised him a way into the Black Library, but for him to get to see Eldar farseers, but he would still be disappointed when the farseers could not give him what he wants. And probably angry as gently caress at us. Still, there was also the thing that my character realized that perhaps the Black Library could hold the key to the nutty project with Tyranid genome she and he Inquisitor patron had been doing. So she took the plunge and used the right herself, and got a lot of info, even if most of it is locked deep inside her mind, to be opened up later when she meets certain prerequirements, the first of which are a certain set of coordinates - to the warp gate to Jericho's Reach. I also got Forbidden Lore Tyranids out of the whole deal, a custom Forbidden Lore. Gonna be interesting to find out what kind of information I can get from that considering I have +30 to generic Forbidden Lore Xenos checks with every single possible upgrade bought for it, including talented. Not necessarily the best choice of questions to ask, but it was the one that was the most important to my character even if the Missionary's player questioned the decision a bit. And later IC did not believe my words about having visited the Black Library, or that it even exists.

Then the sidequest ended as other people started coming in, with the full gang of Missionary, Genetor, False Man Seneschal and the two Orks being present. Even if the Orks couldn't really do much for much of the session due to the majority of the session focusing on negotiations. After a bit of shopping at Footfall we headed to Lucien's Breath which was at the heart of the conflict, determined to bring peace to the two warring Rogue Traders. We first went to meet Chorda since we had some negotiation assets we could use with her, both her cousin and a Necron plasma drive we have had in storage for ages. We managed to get through the war zone by broadcasting Inquisitorial codes after asking permission from one of the Inquisitors on board our ship, and we got permission to board a shuttle to Chorda's ship. Unfortunately our Ork Speed Freek we'd hired a while ago decided that he wanted to ferry the 'bosses' and he wanted to impress us by going super fast. He crashed into Chorda's launch bay, wrecking three of her fighters. Her Enginseers were not very amused, but I used my Magos status and yelling skills to scold them from improper vehicle placement and they got bullied into leaving us alone, and off we went to negotiate with Chorda. Chorda did not believe we could make peace between her and Winterscale, even if she eventually did agree that if we were to somehow manage to convince Winterscale to rent the planet for her, she'd agree to peace even if Lucien's Breath would officially be a part of Lucien's Breath after the peace. Of course Seneschal tried to torpedo this by senselessly trying to get a temporary peace between Chorda and Winterscale with lesser concessions, something the DM had pretty much openly stated was not going to happen. It was going to be peace one way or the other, even if one way was going to be defeat the forces of one of the Rogue Traders. The Priest was especially frustrated with the Seneschal, both IC and OOC since the Seneschal tried to get through this with the least amount of effort possible. The Seneschal was disguised as this fake guy he'd cooked up to be a HERO OF THE EXPANSE during the negotiations, so we talked IC in a passive aggressive way that once we got back to the ship everyone should call Seneschal a moron because he is a moron. Chorda commented that incompetence should be punished, and everyone agreed except for the disguised Seneschal of course. Still, Chorda was willing to negotiate, and off to Winterscale's ship we went.

He was a bit... angry at us for flying Inquisitorial colors essentially. Especially since the codes were Inquisitor Solomon's, the rear end in a top hat Inquisitor's - and Winterscale apparantely utterly hated his guts. It took some convincing, but still he agreed to meet us on board his ship to hear what we were saying - because he thought there was something wrong on the vox connection as he didn't believe we were seriously trying to broker peace between Chorda and Winterscale. He scoffed at the idea of him renting the planet to Chorda, as he did not trust Chorda at all and called her a snake. We bluntly asked him was there anything that would convince him to make that deal with Chorda. He did have one idea, locating his father's tomb. We made an honour oath to find either the tomb or his father's corpse and deliver the location or the body to him if he would negotiate with Chorda. Seneschal was opposed to the idea at first since it seemed like a long quest which would mean we could not get very many allies before the Waaaagh would reach critical mass, but everyone else brow beat him into accepting this quest as everyone else knew that for every major ally we would get we would need to go and do something big - and that we could not get every single possible ally in time. Winterscale accepted our oath to either find the tomb or die trying after we mentioned that we had allies he did not - the Eldar. This was something the Weirdboy realized we could use to our advantage, his one moment of glory during the session. A real helpful one to boot, nobody else even thought about it, not even my Genetor who'd not even very long time ago walked in a place usually reserved to only a rare few chosen Eldar. Our Missionary started to inform Winterscale of these allies of ours he did not have... by being as vague as possible. My Genetor went full blunt mode and just stated that we were talking about the Eldar, and Winterscale agreed to the negotiations because of that, even if he did state he had reservations about Chorda's intentions, calling her a snake again. Winterscale had used every legal and some illegal methods to try and track down his father's tomb, but he had not asked the Eldar so far.

We had a short talk with the leader of the Eldar on our ship, and he did mention he had once met Winterscale's father, and basically promised us that the Farseers of his craftworld could give us a starting point on our quest to track down the remains of Sebastian Winterscale. Everyone was tired at this point and we called it quits before we went into the negotiations, and our next session is going to focus on that. It was a real nice session in my opinion, especially due to the short solo section at the start while waiting for most of the players. The 'play' was fun, the meat of it being a nail biting puzzle combat where one wrong move could mean the difference between success and death. The negotiations that were the meat of the session were both fun and not fun at the same time, mostly because we had some OOC/IC arguments, biggest one being when we were trying to think about what we would do after the Rogue Trader negotiations were over. Mostly it was IC yelling at each other, with the loudest ones being the three human characters, Orks having few opinions regarding the matter. We eventually did end up deciding that the next major ally we were going to get was going to be Navy, and the rest of the allies would be more minor allies - like the Eldar, some elements from the Ecclesiarcy, local nobility and so on. The Missionary really wanted major Ecclesiarchy allies but he did end up agreeing to more minor Ecclesiarchy allies since everyone else did not really want the Ecclesiarchy's support and scrutiny, both the Genetor and Seneschal being Adeptus Mechanicus people anyway even if their peculiarities would be forgotten.

It was also hilarious that the character with the statistically by far best Fellowship stats and skills, the Seneschal, was more of a hindrance than help in the negotiations. Tying him up and leaving him on the ship would have meant the negotiations would have went way smoother than they did. Especially since he for some reason decided to dress up as his flamboyant HERO OF THE EXPANSE alter ego.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013
Finally starting to get into the wacky hijinks with my Fate game. After nearly de-orbiting a city built on a large floating snail shell, my players were captured by the Shadowguild (a sort of thief/assassin/spy dealio) and had to escape from their prisons on board the transporting airship.

It can be summed up thusly:

The Heavy: "I battled my way through a legion of drunk brawlers! While drunk!"
The Stealthy: "I escaped using my wits and stealth!"
The Mad Engineer: "I puked on a door and made it explode."

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Hijinks in my group's FATE Accelerated game last night.

The villain of the day had taken a village hostage in order to negotiate with the party to attempt to recruit the party to his side. When the inevitable fight starts, the villain is holding the trigger for an orbital laser and also a gun in both hands. First round: our druid lady steals the trigger (proceeds to run around the battlefield acting like a cat), our faerie in human disguise steals one of the guns (proceeds to run around battlefield chasing said cat), our naive wizard steals the other gun. Pacifist wizard proceeds to disassemble the gun and throw the pieces back at the villain, who reassembles it, shoots him, and then proceeds to get the gun stolen from him again. 3 weapons. Disarmed 4 times.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Of course she stole it, it's a giant laser pointer. You know how cats are with those things.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I got Fiasco for Christmas and one of the first games I played was with immediate family, none of whom roleplay (or play anything more involved than Trivial Pursuit, to my knowledge), but all of whom got cheerily into the spirit of the thing.

We were playing a suburban crime family following the suspicious death of the old boss. I was the family lawyer, who was angling to steal the inheritance for myself. My brother was the old boss' adult son, who had arranged for his old dad's assassination so he could take control, but whose operations were being slowed down by me dragging my lawyerly feet on the inheritance. My Mum was the "grieving" widow, arranging her own drug business on the side, and my little sister was a general pothead dogsbody loser mixed up in all our affairs, making promises to everyone she couldn't keep and angling to get the hell out of town with whatever she could steal.

So things proceed about as chaotically as you'd expect from a game of Fiasco until just after the Tilt (the halfway point of the game, where poo poo Gets Real). My pothead little sister is ambushed my brother the new boss and a couple of goons. He's mad because she's selling on the side without his permission, so they tie her up and drive her to the gravel pit where the old boss was executed and secretly buried.

She's pleading for her life when Mum shows up (she'd been tailing them) with a gun and the drop on my brother and his two goons. She reveals that lil' sis has been selling on the side for her, and that's not all because she's taking over. My brother (acting the gravel-voiced mob psycho for all he's worth) has just enough time to drat her to hell before he and his guys get a bullet to the head each. Mum then turns to sis (who's still tied up) and basically says "From now on you work for me and me alone, got it? Whadayya say, partners?"

"Well, uh, lets not go rushing into anything, I mean we barely.."

Bang.

And so with all her enemies dead and buried in a gravel pit, Mum went on to rule her old husbands criminal empire while my lawyer skipped town. We had to end the game a couple of turns early because she'd killed half the cast.

Anyway just felt like passing that on because it's one of my favourite gaming experiences and she's just been taken into hospital again with heart trouble. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Your mother is terrifying. I hope she's ok though.