Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
You can safely skip the sidequests in chapter 6 if you're having issues with the game's pacing. They're not really worth doing, both from a story and gameplay perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
The Chapter 7 Sidequests however are very much worth it: Not only are they different from the 5-6 ones, but the bosses also have valuable equipment to steal. (Particularly Fiore DeRosa who has Hermes Shoes, go in there with Master Thief and Rob Blind to get two of them.)

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.
Picked this game up yesterday after a friend talked it up. It's bloody great. If any of you guys have spots on their friend list free, would you mind adding me? Thanks.

FC: 0533-4673-5295

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Are genome abilities boosted by Attack or Magic? Also would stuff like magic critical work with them?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

I keep seeing Aeri Lies everywhere on the internet.

How ruined is the game for me?

I'mmmmmm going to pretend I didn't instinctively hover over that out of habit. poo poo.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
Can anyone who's played the full game comment on (ch 5+ spoilers, I guess?) what it is about the back half of the game that's apparently so repetitive? Preferably without any explicit spoilers. I'm super jazzed for the game but if it has a significant downturn, I guess I should temper my expectations somewhat.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Avalerion posted:

Are genome abilities boosted by Attack or Magic? Also would stuff like magic critical work with them?

Im pretty sure they are all physical attacks, even the -ja ones.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
-ja ones are the only genome skills that're actually based on M.Attack, which might actually make Vampirism an interesting secondary skillset for an Arcanist, since in addition to having the highest M.Attack, they also rely on status effects for their gimmicky skills and the genome abilities are one of the few ways to inflict status effects on all enemies at the same time without having to rely on Group-Cast All. Magic Thirst might also complement Internment nicely since it takes a lot of MP to cast.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kanpachi posted:

Can anyone who's played the full game comment on (ch 5+ spoilers, I guess?) what it is about the back half of the game that's apparently so repetitive? Preferably without any explicit spoilers. I'm super jazzed for the game but if it has a significant downturn, I guess I should temper my expectations somewhat.

Groundhog day.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

irlZaphod posted:

Does anyone know if this game got a really tiny print run in Europe? Loads of places seem to be sold out of it, even online retailers. I really want to pick it up next week, but it looks like I might not be able to.

If you're in the UK and are cool with maybe waiting a week, i may have a copy to sell you (i'd be selling it at slightly under RRP too i.e. ~£29 or so).

If you haven't read the last couple of pages of the general DS thread, the store I got it from sent me 2 copies by mistake. I'm just waiting to see if they catch on or not and charge me extra.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How come bows are such good weapons? A guy with S aptitude to bows wit p.attack 275 does more damage than a guy with S aptitude sword 324 p.attack. Does the bow pierce defence or something?

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

How come bows are such good weapons? A guy with S aptitude to bows wit p.attack 275 does more damage than a guy with S aptitude sword 324 p.attack. Does the bow pierce defence or something?
Bows hit more times and crit more, from what I've seen. I tend to favour bows and spears, though dual wielded Assassin Daggers are pretty great.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Bows also often come with a bonus against certain enemy types, and are generally strong against flyers.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Kanpachi posted:

Non story spoiler?

Ever play a Diablo game? First you go through normal, then nightmare, then hell difficulty? Same kind of idea, except monsters just get boosted stats and levels I think, no new abilities. Though boss fights play out differently I think. Eventually the game DOES end, but for a couple of chapters it repeats.

edit: VVV Oh, well that's dumb.

Willias fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 26, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

^^^^Enemies in 5 and 6 are the same and probably don't change in 7 and 8. Bosses do. In Diablo you're playing the same story. Chapters 5-8 have a different story but it's not different enough to feel different. Replaying Diablo over and over is the point of the game. I'm not sure that comparison is all too apt.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I wonder if they just wanted to make a longer game but ran out of money. It kinda feels like it.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Having just finished the demo, is offensive magic in the full game as crap as it is in the demo? With maxed out characters, my ninja was swinging for something like 2-3x what my black mage was doing with thundara on a target that was weak to lightning, and the ninja doesn't run out of gas after 10 casts.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Physical attacks are almost unanimously better, but magic is versatile and worth using.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Yeah, I got some mileage out of poison and sleep, but the actual elemental spells seemed pretty worthless.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
In the earlygame of the full game, offensive magic works great against anything. Once you begin to get more jobs, it becomes less useful however.

In the endgame, I found that if you have something that can give your M. Atk a temporary boost (and/or debuff the M. Def of the enemy), offensive magic works fine. Even better if the enemy has a weakness to it.

That said, non-elemental magic is one of the few things not resisted by anything that you or the enemy can come up with, save one spell, which makes an M.Atk boosted Meteor (Time Magic spell) into something really terrifying.

I believe I saw a build once that utilizes reflected spells to deal as much or even more damage to a single target than what a physical attack can achieve (enough that lower-tier elemental magic can be surprisingly effective), but I've forgotten the build and how they achieved it.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

In the earlygame of the full game, offensive magic works great against anything. Once you begin to get more jobs, it becomes less useful however.

In the endgame, I found that if you have something that can give your M. Atk a temporary boost (and/or debuff the M. Def of the enemy), offensive magic works fine. Even better if the enemy has a weakness to it.

That said, non-elemental magic is one of the few things not resisted by anything that you or the enemy can come up with, save one spell, which makes an M.Atk boosted Meteor (Time Magic spell) into something really terrifying.

I believe I saw a build once that utilizes reflected spells to deal as much or even more damage to a single target than what a physical attack can achieve (enough that lower-tier elemental magic can be surprisingly effective), but I've forgotten the build and how they achieved it.

You do a AOE move on your entire party with reflect on and it reflects back to one enemy with the 4x the power, iirc.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Ooh, my favourite technique with Vivi in FF9. Is there a support ability to increase the damage of reflected magic like that game had?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

Ooh, my favourite technique with Vivi in FF9. Is there a support ability to increase the damage of reflected magic like that game had?

Unfortunately not, nor I have tested it completely- would appreciate it if someone tested that theory, some of the later bosses used that tactic against me and it definitely hurt a lot.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Has anyone received a concrete delivery date from amazon.com for the collector's edition?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

Has anyone received a concrete delivery date from amazon.com for the collector's edition?

Nope, mine is sitting in "we'll let you know." I may just cancel it at this point. The extra money isn't worth it to me considering all the runarounds.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

Folt The Bolt posted:

I rely way too much on white magic for healing to make that viable. Would probably work with a salve-maker but it's not my play style at all.

Chapter 8: There's an optional boss that uses this technique to attack and it was a bitch and a half to beat them.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I just realized how little Bravely Default has going on it: besides the plot - which isn't the main focus of the game and isn't the greatest piece of fiction in the wold - there's only the combat and the combat system. Every other modern RPG has minigames and sidequests a more meaningful plot and dating sims and exploration and demon fusion and whatever possible, but here it's what you see in the first hours of the game. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but after 52 hours, lv 82 characters and being only in the beginning of chapter 5 basically made it for me. I don't think I want to finish this playthrough anymore and I don't think I ever want to start another game. The job system is great and the combat is excellent, music is awesome and graphics beautiful, but I think I've had enough. You can complete almost any mainseries FF game in twenty to thirty hours and that's enough, if you want to minmax and do all there is to do, you can clock in a lot of hours, but in the future you can still come back to the game many times, without ever getting actually sick of. Persona 4 takes 70 hours to complete and I've played that game in total of 200 hours and I've never done everything there's possible to do in it. It has so much going in it you never get bored, but no matter how good one aspect is in a game, I can't stay with it for 60 or 70 hours, I need something else too. Persona 4 provides those other aspects, but Bravely Default is burning me and hard.

It's a shame, really.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Well, they're planning on BD being a franchise. A yearly one at that. Hopefully this first game was just setting the system in place, and they'll expand on everything with each installment.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011
52 hours and lvl 82 is also way overkill for the beginning of chapter 5. I was at the end of the game when I reached those numbers. The grinding needed to get there that early would have driven me crazy as well.

Not that I disagree about the lack of side content, mind. I'm done with everything now and there's little incentive to start a new game +.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Isn't there some sort of secret ending that acts as a teaser for Bravely Second? Or do they just hand that to you for beating the game?

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011
None of the endings are hidden. The time consuming one gives you the teaser trailer.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lufia posted:

52 hours and lvl 82 is also way overkill for the beginning of chapter 5. I was at the end of the game when I reached those numbers. The grinding needed to get there that early would have driven me crazy as well.

Not that I disagree about the lack of side content, mind. I'm done with everything now and there's little incentive to start a new game +.

I was at 70 hours at that bit.
I'm 89 hours at Chapter 6. I play Hard mode though.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Lufia posted:

I played most of the game on hard and I had to powerlevel a lot to deal with the bossfights. I like grinding, nothing wrong with that, but I almost never get to the max level because I burn out before it.

The closest thing to Bravely Default is of course FF5 and I think that that game is actually paced better: there's always new places, new dungeons and new world maps to explore and there's actually a incentive to explore it, because there are a lot of fun things you can find. The world also somehow seemed more varied and I don't know why: They are just background colors and textures, but I have a distinct memory of a journey, going from point A to point B through many twists, while in BD you just run through it, without any memory where you've been. I can point ploaces from the FF5 world map and I remember at least some of their names, but with BD it's just zero. It was a bit dull that BD just puts the exclamation marks where you have to. And you just have to go there, it doesn't require anything else from you. It's a bit of an overkill when there's a marker in the end of a dungeon to show that there's a boss there.

The bosses are also a bit of a dissappointment. The fact that they were either filler monsters or job dudes who just used the same skills you would get is a bit boring. There should have been a Gilgamesh type of character in this game too.

I actually prefer the FF5 way of getting bunch a jobs at once and then none for a while, because you had plenty of different tactics to try before you got more jobs. Getting one or two jobs in a more regular fashion isn't just as exciting.

I don't remember when I've gone from being the happiest player ever to the most "meh" experience ever like this. Probably Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, when the plot reveals that all the characters are video game characters inside a video game a bunch of space people are playing. That sure was stupid.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Kin posted:

If you're in the UK and are cool with maybe waiting a week, i may have a copy to sell you (i'd be selling it at slightly under RRP too i.e. ~£29 or so).

If you haven't read the last couple of pages of the general DS thread, the store I got it from sent me 2 copies by mistake. I'm just waiting to see if they catch on or not and charge me extra.
I'm in Ireland, and I have a copy on the way from Amazon, but thanks anyway!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

What I'm getting from this is "don't play this game on hard if you don't want to burn yourself out grinding to the level cap halfway through the game." :stare:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

What I'm getting from this is "don't play this game on hard if you don't want to burn yourself out grinding to the level cap halfway through the game." :stare:

Maybe I am just at video games but I got to level 99 around 2/3rds into the game (When you get a certain class its ridiculously easy to grind, dont worry) and I still had trouble on the final chapter's extra sub bosses with hard mode. I loved the challenge but I gave up on the secret boss because I don't think it is possible without abusing bravely second (paying money) and summon friend (people with 999999 attacks etc), which I don't use at all.

Samael fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 27, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm pretty hardwired at this point to take my games slowly regardless so don't use me as a barometer. I'm still very much interested in playing this game, but I have a bunch of other games on the go too, not limited to Valkyria Chronicles 3, Assassin's Creed 4, Metal Gear Rising and my uncle gave me a copy of WWE '13 yesterday to mess about with. I've got the ol' gaming apathy pretty bad as well so getting myself to play games is an exercise in frustration. Thanks for listening to my life story :).

TL;DR. I take a lot of time with my video games and the fact that it's almost two months since I got BD and haven't finished it is more to do with me than it is with BD.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ok, i think i'm playing this wrong. I've got the game set on normal but am getting my arse kicked in that dungeon right after you get the 3rd party member at the beginning.

The enemies just hit me for about 25%-50% of my health and when the pig like creatures get one of their leader types increasing their attack it just makes it worse, especially when they seem to get +1 Braves somewhat regularly.

Should i have gone somewhere else to grind first or is this part just unnaturally hard?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Make sure you keep buying equipment and give everyone jobs by that point. Also feel free to go all out with 4 braves in random battles as long as you know how to kill the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Well i've only got the 3 jobs, freelancer, white mage and Monk.

The white mage is essential and i have white magic on everybody, but i'm also lacking in cash to buy any equipment. I just feel like my stats are ridiculously low because while i'm only doing individual attacks of about 25 or less they're hitting me with 50-150.

• Locked thread