Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I decided to watch this the other day and I'm impressed. It's a fun romp and some of the fights are amazing.

For some reason I cannot wait to see how the shows concludes its 'cyber newtype' arc. Aila will probably be cured by learning to love gunpla battles through Reiji's burning spirit, but maybe some weird poo poo'll happen in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
At this rate, maybe the thread title should be changed to "Gundam Build Fighters - Actually Pretty Good".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

At this rate, maybe the thread title should be changed to "Gundam Build Fighters - Actually Pretty Good".
Gundam Build Fighters - Better Than It Looks (P.S.: BUY GUNPLA NOW!)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Do you want to know how edgy the Exia Dark Matter is?

Its GN drive has blades.

But yeah, display pictures of the HG Exia Dark Matter and Miss Sazabi have come out. Now you can see their backs!

Also, I totally forgot I was doing this and I imagine nobody cares, but the winners of the 2013 GBWC were announced a while back. A kid from Hong Kong with a RG Char's Zaku II won the Junior course, and to the surprise of absolutely nobody the Japanese representative won the open course with his MG Nu vKa.

There were some rumors going around that we'd see the winners' kits animated in Build Fighters, but I'm pretty sure those are unsubstantiated.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BlitzBlast posted:

But yeah, display pictures of the HG Exia Dark Matter and Miss Sazabi have come out. Now you can see their backs!

Also, I totally forgot I was doing this and I imagine nobody cares, but the winners of the 2013 GBWC were announced a while back. A kid from Hong Kong with a RG Char's Zaku II won the Junior course, and to the surprise of absolutely nobody the Japanese representative won the open course with his MG Nu vKa.

The Miss Sazabi's backpack/thrusters are amazing. It's like a lightweight Tallgesse.

Also the MG Nu is a work of art.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
People have been wondering since this show started, is it gonna be the new G Gundm, what if it it turns out like G Gundam, but the new ED made me realize it alread is the new G Gundam. Just instead of Burning Passion, Gundam Build Fighters has Never Ending Half-Pants Spirit.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I'd just like to note for posterity that when I compared this show to G Gundam there were a couple babbys complaining about how this could never be as "deep" or self aware as G Gundam.

hahaha you are stupids

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Paper Lion posted:

I'd just like to note for posterity that when I compared this show to G Gundam there were a couple babbys complaining about how this could never be as "deep" or self aware as G Gundam.

hahaha you are stupids

Look, it doesn't have hilariously racist Gundam designs. It's not G Gundam.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Look, it doesn't have hilariously racist Gundam designs. It's not G Gundam.

What, Weeaboo Astray doesn't count? :japan:

Caros
May 14, 2008

3 posted:

What, Weeaboo Astray doesn't count? :japan:

And to be fair, it had the super racist Nether Gundam.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Caros posted:

And to be fair, it had the super racist Nether Gundam.

Does Cobra Gundam count when out if context?

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
Bring in Tequila Gundam, go big or go home.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It wasn't really racist it just had extreme cultural stereotypes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zebra Gundam was kind of racist. :/

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Zebra Gundam was kind of racist. :/

The Kenyan flag has a shield and spears on it so it kind of makes sense.

Edit: Oh no what have I done.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 26, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd say it's more than likely due to ignorance rather than racism, given that the production staff probably didn't know a hell of a lot about Kenya or any other African countries. It's a pretty fine distinction at times, but it's there regardless.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it looked like they modeled it after a blend of a Zebra (dur) and a Maasai warrior, not realizing that making an African gundam into a literal spear chucker covered in animal hide is a bit awkward out of context.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

The Kenyan flag has a shield and spears on it so it kind of makes sense.

That is one of the most unfortunate typos I've seen in some time

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I just shotgunned the whole show over the last 2 days while sick with a cold and caught up on this thread today.

This is much much better than I was expecting; I hope the writers and animators continue to have fun with it because it's fun to watch and nowhere near as crassly commercial as I was expecting.

Ramba Ral is excellent.

EDIT: And to the guys on page 17 who were looking at a Gundam tabletop game, Jovian Chronicles by Dream Pod 9 was pretty much Gundam: The RPG and ran on Silhouette. DP9's Heavy Gear robot miniatures game is currently available, and is also based on Silhouette. I've looked at Mekton, Mecha!, Battletech classic, and Battletech Alpha Strike, and in my opinion Silhouette is the way to go unless you want massive spreadsheet battles, in which case Battletech Classic is more your speed. Pimpmust's conversion is a good place to start.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 26, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

We've really got to get this title changed. I keep seeing guys in other threads getting confused because they think the Build Fighters is a cheap cash grab when it turns out to be really good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Caros posted:

We've really got to get this title changed. I keep seeing guys in other threads getting confused because they think the Build Fighters is a cheap cash grab when it turns out to be really good.

To be fair, I think we all pretty much expected a cynical cash grab to top up the coffers after AGE depletion and it has turned out to have a lot more heart and fun then we could have anticipated. I didn't even start watching it until I saw some positive comments in a couple of other threads and followed them here.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I still remember ImpAtom and I debating over whether or not Build Fighters would be significantly different from Builders, with both of us ending all of our posts with "though Sunrise could still totally gently caress this up".

Also sent a PM to Zorak about it, hopefully the title will get changed soon.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah so Gundam Build Fighters - Actually Pretty Good (ps buy gunpla now) was a lovely name, so it's the time for the old standby of the thread picking the new name.

Sorry for the double post.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Gundam Build Fighters - In the middle of a cash grab, Ramba Ral forgot to suck.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gundam Build Fighters - Series Amazing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gundam Build Fighters: Zaku's Amazing, Show is pretty good.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gundam Build Fighters - A Manly Wing Gundam cross-countering A Hot-Blooded Strike Gundam

I suck at this.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Gundam Build Fighters: This is not a bad show! Not a bad show!

Gundam Build Fighters: Build Anime Amazing

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Gundam Builders: That's no cash grab, boy.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Gundam Build Fighters: gently caress canon I can do what I want!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Build Fighters - Plastic Fantastic

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Gundam Build Fighters - Screw the rules, I have Plavsky!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gundam Build Fighter - Without War Drama, all that is left is lots of Fun.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Gundam Build Fighters: it's true what they say, AGE lowers your expectations

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Gundam Build Fighters - This hand of mine burns with Building Spirit!

Quad Cape
Dec 24, 2012
Gundam Build Fighters - Gundams in the pocket

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gundam Build Fighters - All Plastic, Even More Heart

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Gundam Build Fighters - If You Build It, They Will Fight

Gundam Build Fighters - We Can Build It Better, Faster, More Amazing

Blackchamber