Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Declan MacManus posted:

most of the djent dudes are, and it's not that surprising given that they're more interested in the percussive noises of a guitar

I had to google "djent" because I had no idea WTF it is, but Wikipedia things Animals As Leaders is "djent". Weird, because AAL sounds more like jazz mated with metal to me, not lovely music you can play on a paint stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

a kitten posted:

smdh at people hatin on Albini

i assume his tone is only enhanced by wrapping the strap around his waist like a freak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qh6zUFvEE0

that and the blood
all the blood probably helps his tone too.

That sure is some compelling evidence you've presented. But I'm not sure a poorly recorded youtube video is gonna hold up in music snob court.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Remember when this thread was about ugly guitars? Those were good times.

Kill it.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Wasn't the main reason he wore that waist strap was because Travis Beans weigh a loving ton and it was to prevent neck and back strain or something along those lines? Duane Denison of The Jesus Lizard complained about it too and that's why he helped develop one of the EGC guitar models which looks frighteningly similar to TBs except they're made out of aluminium.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CannedMacabre posted:

Remember when this thread was about ugly guitars? Those were good times.

Kill it.

That's just, like, your opinion... man.

This thread is awesome and there are a shitload of hideous guitars on every page!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I had to google "djent" because I had no idea WTF it is, but Wikipedia things Animals As Leaders is "djent". Weird, because AAL sounds more like jazz mated with metal to me, not lovely music you can play on a paint stick.

djent's just shorthand for "we listen to meshuggah"

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple

AchtungBaby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCjkUgClav8

Check the custom guitars from ESP. Some ugly poo poo.

unironically want this

W424
Oct 21, 2010

a kitten posted:

smdh at people hatin on Albini

i assume his tone is only enhanced by wrapping the strap around his waist like a freak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qh6zUFvEE0

that and the blood
all the blood probably helps his tone too.

90's alternative/noise rock has to be the most boring poo poo in the universe.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Valtaherra posted:

unironically want this

Only if the little guitar is fully functional. Extra points if dino-AI plays sympathetic chords/riffs while you thrash.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Just to clarify it's a phrase that that described a certain guitartone that is basically plugging 2 noise gates into the loop and turning up the distortion to 10 to get the DJ-DJENT sound (its an onomatopoeia). Alot of the bands dont use it exclusively, like AAL, but you'll find it in there somewhere. Also gently caress the Tosin haters, he rules :colbert:

gently caress me, I went to his Facebook just as he'd been brought up and this is his new guitar currently in the making....

Astrobastard fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 25, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You had a Devin Townsend av for a while so your opinions on guitarists comes with a mountain of salt

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Spanish Manlove posted:

You had a Devin Townsend av for a while so your opinions on guitarists comes with a mountain of salt

No I did not, its probably Jens Kidman or Frederik Thorendal of Meshuggah but I dont really hail them as musical geniuses or anything but sorry you dont know what Devin townsend looks like I guess.

As for Tosin, I just like AAL and hes a talented guitarist that has pioneered certain techniques like slapping and I'm a big fan of stupid rhythms and angry music without some twatting vocalist ruining the whole thing. He improvises like poo poo and spends most of his time explaining his 5 finger slapping technique so I agree his videos are poo poo. I prefer any where he's actually playing an AAL song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihqT1aA4Q88

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple

Astrobastard posted:

No I did not, its probably Jens Kidman or Frederik Thorendal of Meshuggah but I dont really hail them as musical geniuses or anything but sorry you dont know what Devin townsend looks like I guess.

As for Tosin, I just like AAL and hes a talented guitarist that has pioneered certain techniques like slapping and I'm a big fan of stupid rhythms and angry music without some twatting vocalist ruining the whole thing. He improvises like poo poo and spends most of his time explaining his 5 finger slapping technique so I agree his videos are poo poo. I prefer any where he's actually playing an AAL song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihqT1aA4Q88

Yeah, I really don't get what's at all enjoyable about that

and for the record, Devin Townsend and Meshuggah are loving awful

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

That sure is something that resembles music.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
It gets fuckin better dudes, I listen to these guys on a weekly basis. if you search for "worst song/band in the world" on youtube im pretty sure these guys are the first hit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniXxeTJlyM

VVV The above has some pretty ugly guitars to be fair

Astrobastard fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 26, 2014

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
This thread isn't for subjective opinions on what good music is, it's for objectively fuckin' ugly guitars.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Astrobastard posted:

It gets fuckin better dudes, I listen to these guys on a weekly basis. if you search for "worst song/band in the world" on youtube im pretty sure these guys are the first hit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniXxeTJlyM

Give those guys Strats or Gibsons and they'd be theGearPage darling children for being so 'experimental'.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

I'm sorry this guitar doesn't conform to your beauty ideals. You skinny privilege fucker.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

A shrubbery! posted:

This thread isn't for subjective opinions on what good music is, it's for objectively fuckin' ugly guitars.

would

Astrobastard did you really post those silly dudes trying to convince us that you have good taste?

Spanish Manlove posted:

Lmao are you reminded of wooten just because he's black?
lmao

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

A shrubbery! posted:

I want this guitar and use it to play nothing but the Soundtrack from Redneck Rampage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAF95RBuJso

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
oh man some ugly guitars wow

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
don't be a hater ponyman it's unbecoming

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hey guys let me tell you all about my opinion on certain musicians and musical genres

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Animals As Leaders should throw away those 8-string atrocities, pick up some dreadnought acoustics, write some songs, and get ECT to burn the overschooled hyperjazz bullshit out of their brains. The music would still be bad but at least the guitars wouldn't be ugly.

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

By the way, have this ugly as sin yamahas ever been posten in this thread?

Check that cat butt too.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
I would play the one on the right

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

AchtungBaby posted:

By the way, have this ugly as sin yamahas ever been posten in this thread?

Check that cat butt too.

That headstock looks like one of those sticks fat people use to wipe their rear end with.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

i like this one because it draws you in with the super ugly red paint job, then you're like wow its those horrible frets that terrible people love, and your eye is drawn up to the no headstock, and you're like woah that it one ugly guit-WAIT A MINUTE THERES A WHOLE WALL OF UGLY GUITARS IN THIS PHOTO!!!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

W424 posted:

90's alternative/noise rock has to be the most boring poo poo in the universe.
80's, not 90's it's what all the dudes you're carping about copied.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I want a synth guitar setup so I can make all kinds of stupid noises like this dude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlUXq19NbHg

not joking

just add a little flute

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Astrobastard posted:

Just to clarify it's a phrase that that described a certain guitartone that is basically plugging 2 noise gates into the loop and turning up the distortion to 10 to get the DJ-DJENT sound (its an onomatopoeia). Alot of the bands dont use it exclusively, like AAL, but you'll find it in there somewhere. Also gently caress the Tosin haters, he rules :colbert:

gently caress me, I went to his Facebook just as he'd been brought up and this is his new guitar currently in the making....

What is actually happening here? Does the tremolo have a tremolo of its own?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

White Dog Eggs posted:

I want this guitar and use it to play nothing but the Soundtrack from Redneck Rampage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAF95RBuJso

Oh hey, The Beat Farmers!

I like you, WDE.

CONTENT:

Goddamnit, bass players. :negative:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dirt posted:

I want a synth guitar setup so I can make all kinds of stupid noises like this dude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlUXq19NbHg

not joking

just add a little flute

It's like somebody invented a guitar solely for playing license-free library music to play in infomercials and dentist waiting rooms.

Now I kind of want to get one, a portable synth rig, and busk inside of an elevator playing muzak cover songs.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-1vcuKcXeI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSmNikkYs4k

Snowy fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 26, 2014

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Yeah I have at least 20 Boss Heavy Metal pedals. Too bad the volume drops like poo poo on those pedals. Dildos.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm not going to read this whole thread, but... yeah the wood and internal structures of an electric guitar changes the way the strings vibrate, which changes the signal created by the pickup, which changes the sound when it comes out of the amp. So like the wood type matters, whether it's hollow matters, if it's hollow then the bracing inside matters.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

man thats gross posted:

i like this one because it draws you in with the super ugly red paint job, then you're like wow its those horrible frets that terrible people love, and your eye is drawn up to the no headstock, and you're like woah that it one ugly guit-WAIT A MINUTE THERES A WHOLE WALL OF UGLY GUITARS IN THIS PHOTO!!!

the funny thing about the strandberg hype cycle is nobody's gonna be able to sell their $4000 dollar guitars for a tenth what they paid for them

Harry in Rio posted:

Yeah I have at least 20 Boss Heavy Metal pedals. Too bad the volume drops like poo poo on those pedals. Dildos.

the whole hm-2core thing is beyond played out but that's still a rad sound

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 26, 2014

A Fucker IRL
Jan 25, 2014

by Baldo di Gregorio
A guitar thyat sprays hot piss everywhere continuously as soon as you plug it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Saw this beauty on stage as a decoration at a bar that my buddy's band was playing.

:911:

• Locked thread