Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have used speed dial for years and I've never associated it with popups or anything unusual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Im_Special posted:

So I'm not sure if this is a Firefox problem, an add-on, flash or Youtube problem but lately when I try and watch random videos (not all of them) they simply won't load until I refresh the page (sometimes a few refreshes are needed) and then they'll work magically. I'm on the latest Firefox, latest flash, all add-ons are up to date and I've tried with all add-ons disabled with the same results, is only started maybe a few weeks ago. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Fake edit: Seems it's one of my GreaseMonkey scripts 'YouTube - Auto-Buffer & Auto-HD' hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

I use YouTube Center as a standalone addon for Firefox, and it has more YouTube options than one person could ever need, and I've had no problems with YouTube. So, I can recommend that.

Edit: actually, somebody is saying it is buggy because it hasn't been updated. So I guess try it, but otherwise my advice may be wrong. I just remembered I downgraded to FF 25 and turned off auto updates (you can take Download Statusbar from my cold, dead hands).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 13, 2014

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

I use YouTube Center as a standalone addon for Firefox, and it has more YouTube options than one person could ever need, and I've had no problems with YouTube. So, I can recommend that.

Edit: actually, somebody is saying it is buggy because it hasn't been updated. So I guess try it, but otherwise my advice may be wrong. I just remembered I downgraded to FF 25 and turned off auto updates (you can take Download Statusbar from my cold, dead hands).

The replacement for Download Statusbar, Download Status Bar, is working well for me.

I never really set the original Download Statusbar to do anything special, but as far as popping up a little status bar showing progress/speed/ETA the new one is working great for me.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Scott808 posted:

The replacement for Download Statusbar, Download Status Bar, is working well for me.

I never really set the original Download Statusbar to do anything special, but as far as popping up a little status bar showing progress/speed/ETA the new one is working great for me.

When I first tried an alternative, it lacked a bunch of features. No doubt this one is being developed, so by now it may have parity. I'll check it out.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Fapos posted:

Yeah same here, nothing fancy, just Adblock and NoScript. They'll sometimes abruptly stop and refuse to load the rest of the video too.

Same setup here. Ever since last month (when both firefox and flash were updated), I've had a persistent problem where videos become stuck if I try to replay any of it.

I've had other playback issues before, but they're uncommon and a simple refresh fixes 'em.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

When I first tried an alternative, it lacked a bunch of features. No doubt this one is being developed, so by now it may have parity. I'll check it out.
I'm using the weirdly named S3.Download Statusbar, which appears to be an exact replica of the old one. Didn't have any problems with it so far.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Oh and by the way - this might be a bit out there, but I want to share it anyway since this bugged me for quite a while now - one of the FF versions after ~20 seems to have introduced a drawing bug on XUL trees, which leaves weird borders around tree children as you mouse over them (the direction in which you move the mouse matters; top-to-bottom leaves horizontal lines). This can for example be seen in the bookmarks sidebar, where I initially noticed it. Not sure if this happens on all platforms, but at least on Win7 I could confirm it happening both at home and on my work PC.

By default it is barely noticeable (so I realize most people won't care), as the artifact borders seem to be drawn transparent/additive, which in combination with the already bright background color of the panel results in lines you only really notice when you know what to look for. However, I'm using a custom dark background color for the bookmarks sidebar, which made those left-behind lines really annoying.

Long story short, today I found a workaround to get rid of these artifacts. Simply add following CSS to either the userChrome.css or a custom style applied via the Stylish extension:
CSS code:
@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

tree treechildren::-moz-tree-row {
	outline: 0px none !important;
}

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SirViver posted:

I'm using the weirdly named S3.Download Statusbar, which appears to be an exact replica of the old one. Didn't have any problems with it so far.

Just tried this out - if feels and looks exactly like the old one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have been noticing an issue lately that if I open a new window, for some reason out of the blue the window behind will be brought up front even if I'm using the other window.

For example, lets say I'm browsing a webpage and open a link into a new window (right click, open link in new window). I'll be browsing the new window and all of a sudden for no reason I can think of the inactive window behind will come to the front.

How do I stop that from happening?

e: Running 26, but it's happened for some time now.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

slidebite posted:

I have been noticing an issue lately that if I open a new window, for some reason out of the blue the window behind will be brought up front even if I'm using the other window.

For example, lets say I'm browsing a webpage and open a link into a new window (right click, open link in new window). I'll be browsing the new window and all of a sudden for no reason I can think of the inactive window behind will come to the front.

How do I stop that from happening?

e: Running 26, but it's happened for some time now.

Try the steps in the OP.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
While this article relates to Chrome, the same problem likely impacts Firefox: Malware companies are purchasing established extension developers and using their trusted credentials to push out malware-laden updates. This is the problem with trust, if the entity you're trusting regularly has opportunities to betray that trust for a benefit, there should also be a negative consequence of betrayal. For example, if your SSL certificate issuer signs off on malicious certificates, trust for that issuer is revoked (in theory).

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I don't even want to contemplate the ramifications if something important like AdBlock or NoScript were to pull such a maneuver.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't even want to contemplate the ramifications if something important like AdBlock or NoScript were to pull such a maneuver.

An extension developer who's extension has 700k~ users was offered 6 figures monthly to add in some companies tracking code. I'm surprised it isn't more common.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jago posted:

I have used speed dial for years and I've never associated it with popups or anything unusual.

It was literally the only extension I was using. I disabled it, changed nothing else and stopped getting random popups to fake Firefox update sites. I'm using FVD speed dial now without issue.

Alereon's link just makes me more suspicious.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

eXXon posted:

It was literally the only extension I was using. I disabled it, changed nothing else and stopped getting random popups to fake Firefox update sites. I'm using FVD speed dial now without issue.

Alereon's link just makes me more suspicious.
I took a quick look at Speed Dial and I don't see anything obviously malicious (not that I necessarily would if it was present), but I did notice that it appears to be using a weather service (MiniWeather) that is no longer operating and seems to be serving lovely ads. Maybe the ads are coming from there and appearing in embeds from Speed Dial? That's just a guess. Aside from that I'd make sure you are using the Google DNS servers (never use OpenDNS, your ISP's servers are likely OK but test via Google) and that visiting a non-existent domain like www.xrert.com gives you a browsr-generated DNS error and not an ISP or malware landing page.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone else using Aurora 28 on Windows 8.1 x64? Seems like pages are loading faster than usual. I know they're improving these things all the time, just wondering if anyone knew of anything specific landing the past week or so.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I've been getting increasingly frustrated with Chrome over the last few months due to bugs, crashes, improperly loading pages etc so I was thinking of switching to Firefox. The only reason I'm hesitant is that Firefox doesn't have an iOS app, and I do a lot of switching back and forth between my PC and my iPad. Is there a way to sync bookmarks and passwords from Firefox on PC to Chrome on iOS? Or failing that, Safari iOS if need be? If there's a way to sync history too then perfect but honestly I'd be happy just to have bookmarks and passwords syncing

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Xmarks and Lastpass.

You can also try KeePass, but I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it has same level of browser integration as LastPass.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

GrizzlyCow posted:

Xmarks and Lastpass.

You can also try KeePass, but I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it has same level of browser integration as LastPass.

There are several plugins that integrate KeePass into FF/Chrome/IE, but I haven't used them. I use KeePass, and I love it, but KeePass doesn't handle bookmarks; it's passwords only.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
That's why I recommended Xmarks, too. Xmarks handle bookmarks, tabs, and history. Lastpass or KeePass are for passwords.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Just make sure you disable bookmark sync in Chrome before you enable Xmarks. Sometimes Chrome will corrupt them ending up in a mass deletion or duplication depending on circumstances.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005
When I watch Youtube videos in Firefox, every minute or so the video will freeze and the last 10 seconds of audio will be repeated before carrying on where it was. It happens more often in full screen or when watching in larger video mode but does still happen in any circumstance. If it is in full screen and I jump back to normal during the repeating audio then that will stop and the video will carry on from where it was before going back.

I am using the latest stable version of Firefox and the latest update for Flash.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or have any ideas on how to fix this?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

dos4gw posted:

When I watch Youtube videos in Firefox, every minute or so the video will freeze and the last 10 seconds of audio will be repeated before carrying on where it was. It happens more often in full screen or when watching in larger video mode but does still happen in any circumstance. If it is in full screen and I jump back to normal during the repeating audio then that will stop and the video will carry on from where it was before going back.

I am using the latest stable version of Firefox and the latest update for Flash.

Which version of Flash are you using? There's a beta version that sometimes performs better than the release version.

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*
This has been happening to me too, even on beta. Kind of sucks!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is there a way to disable java script but only on some websites? Like adblock except for java?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Fapos posted:

This has been happening to me too, even on beta. Kind of sucks!

I've given up on watching videos in Firefox. I keep Chrome installed and switch to that if it's anything more lengthy than a 30 second YouTube video. It's not just flash videos that working poorly in Firefox now, even HTML5 h.264 videos have started giving me real issues, despite the fact that they worked really great when the feature first got added to FF. (Yes, I'm running the latest graphics drivers for my video card that's less than a year old.)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I've been getting increasingly frustrated with Chrome over the last few months due to bugs, crashes, improperly loading pages etc so I was thinking of switching to Firefox.

I'm in the same boat, but my hangup is:

xamphear posted:

I've given up on watching videos in Firefox. I keep Chrome installed and switch to that if it's anything more lengthy than a 30 second YouTube video.
...which is probably because of the lack of multiprocess support. I know they're working on it, but I really can't stand the entire browser hanging whenever a page has to do something processor-intensive. If Chrome actually follows up with their threat to remove NPAPI support (like they did with H.264 :v:), I'll probably switch anyway.

WYA posted:

Is there a way to disable java script but only on some websites? Like adblock except for java?

NoScript.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

dos4gw posted:

That is interesting, I see something similar, except it only happens when the video quality is upgraded. So I will see the first 10 seconds of a video in low quality, then the video freezes and the audio replays from the start, until it reaches the point where the video stopped, then the video starts playing again, in high-res. Works fine after that though.

I have had a few other issues with youtube though. Sometimes the player just fails to load entirely, and has to be reloaded. Other times, trying to skip ahead will freeze it.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Magic Underwear posted:

That is interesting, I see something similar, except it only happens when the video quality is upgraded. So I will see the first 10 seconds of a video in low quality, then the video freezes and the audio replays from the start, until it reaches the point where the video stopped, then the video starts playing again, in high-res. Works fine after that though.

I have had a few other issues with youtube though. Sometimes the player just fails to load entirely, and has to be reloaded. Other times, trying to skip ahead will freeze it.

Have you tried enabling the HTML5 player? My friend had this same issue and the HTML5 player fixed everything up for him.

http://youtube.com/html5

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Had someone else that had a problem with Youtube not loading videos unless they reloaded the page. Found the fix was either disabling the noscript extension or going into about:config and disabling click to play.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Da Mott Man posted:

Had someone else that had a problem with Youtube not loading videos unless they reloaded the page. Found the fix was either disabling the noscript extension or going into about :config and disabling click to play.

I've had this problem for about a week now on Aurora, but I love my Click to Play functionality :smith:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

dos4gw posted:

Yes. This happens to me too. Irritating. It never used to do it. I have a feeling it started since the last update of Flash I installed.

Edit: nope, downgraded to Flash 11.7.
Started Firefox in safe mode with no extensions. Still did it.

Double edit: been playing around with various things with some success, but who knows what actually worked.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 26, 2014

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I've been having this problem as well but on Chrome. I think this might be a YouTube issue?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
The problem seems pretty random. Like in general, I mean.

For what it's worth, I use Magic Actions for YouTube on both Chrome and Firefox and I rarely, rarely get the "player loads and seems to buffer but you can't actually play it" error. I also get no buffering or player hiccups or anything. It never seems to be out of date when YouTube tweaks its player or player pages, in my experience.

It's worth a shot, I suppose.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Blargh! Looks like a recent Youtube update broke YousableTubeFix the rest of the way, and the developer seems to have moved on to other things. Anyone know of an addon or script that automatically loads the large player at top resolution, and preferably has options for hiding things like the comments, or adding a download function?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

Blargh! Looks like a recent Youtube update broke YousableTubeFix the rest of the way, and the developer seems to have moved on to other things. Anyone know of an addon or script that automatically loads the large player at top resolution, and preferably has options for hiding things like the comments, or adding a download function?

http://www.chromeactions.com/ does most if not all of those things.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Gerudo Rivera posted:

The way the site tries to market the addon to you is super weird and off putting for me. Doesn't matter if it does what it says on the box, I just don't get why they went that route.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That one's fantastic, thanks!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Warning: If an add-on isn't hosted on Addons.Mozilla.Org, that's probably because it couldn't pass review because it does something lovely.

Edit: In fact, a quick Google shows that this add-on was pulled from Chrome Store by Google, I don't know if it was ever on AMO.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Alereon posted:

Warning: If an add-on isn't hosted on Addons.Mozilla.Org, that's probably because it couldn't pass review because it does something lovely.

Edit: In fact, a quick Google shows that this add-on was pulled from Chrome Store by Google, I don't know if it was ever on AMO.

Any reason why? I've been using this one for quite some time.