Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
At some point, snagging and uploading "alright" video became easier than snapping a "good" screenshot. Huh.

Anyways, this shows off Emma's damage-handling effects, including the post-hit invuln window and swank blink indicator for such. Also includes a probably familiar fire effect. Ignore the spontaneous ice skating at the end, that's where a death animation would normally go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yktnqbplvrg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I really like the graphical quality, and I keep meaning to check out your games. I guess I really don't know until I play it, but it seems like it would get a little distracting blinking at that slow of a rate at first, though I like the idea of the player blinking in and out of invisibility when taking damage, and enemies blinking red when they take damage. Does foes take damage in your game?

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Been working on reading my own version of a bar code at high speeds. With debug output I can only do about 5ish fps, but I've gotten it up to over 100fps on a 2.2mp image sensor.

The 2 white dot things behind the back window are the stickers, the squiggly lines everywhere are just debug information overlayed on the video to help me make adjustments.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 3, 2014

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Tweening is fun!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Internet Janitor posted:

I'm building a new Logo interpreter to serve as the heart of an educational puzzle game I'm working on.

It's still in development, but the current release is fairly usable. Check it out: https://github.com/JohnEarnest/MLogo

Neat! I note you're looking at cloning apple ][ logo, but I think UCBLogo is probably the most recent defacto language. Which would mean all the examples from 'Computer Science, Logo Style' would work.

I wrote a logo interpreter once, but abandoned it when I got sick of make "a :a + 1, and "run-parsing" to handle the lack of forward definitions.

Internet Janitor posted:

This new one is written in straight Java, I'm afraid. See above for the github page. My older Logo interpreter, Loko, was written in Forth and ran on a VM I designed which happened to be implemented in Java, and did qualify as "Logo in Forth on Java" or perhaps "a vm in a vm in a vm".

This new one is written in a more conventional language because it's a small part of a very ambitious video game concept I'm pursuing wherein the player learns to speak the forgotten tongue of an ancient turtle-oriented civilization by exploring a series of ruins and solving (programming) puzzles.

It's sort of the same idea as my earlier game Forth Warrior, except with more story, more puzzle variety and (hopefully) accessible to complete beginners. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Working title,

I'm curious if you've ever played with scratch or byob/snap at all?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Internet Janitor posted:

code:
to f :x
  if (:x = 0) [ forward 14 stop ]
  f (:x - 1) left  120
  g (:x - 1) right 120
  f (:x - 1) right 120
  g (:x - 1) left  120
  f (:x - 1)
end

to g :x
  if (:x = 0) [ forward 14 stop ]
  g (:x - 1)
  g (:x - 1)
end

to sierpinski
  showturtle
  f 4
end
source

For amusement value, i ported this to mine

Run at logo.twentygototen.org

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

retro sexual posted:

Tweening is fun!

Where might it iPad?

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

Where might it iPad?

I will be publishing it for iPad, eventually. It's the right resolution & style of game, and everything is touch-friendly already (no right-mouse clicks etc). Focusing on pc/mac/linux release first though.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

retro sexual posted:

I will be publishing it for iPad, eventually. It's the right resolution & style of game, and everything is touch-friendly already (no right-mouse clicks etc). Focusing on pc/mac/linux release first though.

I think Dish is referencing your font being a tiny bit illegible.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I really like the graphical quality, and I keep meaning to check out your games. I guess I really don't know until I play it, but it seems like it would get a little distracting blinking at that slow of a rate at first, though I like the idea of the player blinking in and out of invisibility when taking damage, and enemies blinking red when they take damage. Does foes take damage in your game?
That's kinda the whole point, that's your "get out of damage zone before you die" warning, timed to however long until you can take another hit. It will always be distracting/in-your-face, whether I keep using blinking or switch. As it stands, I still like blinking.

Enemies do take damage, but differently / you can't kill them.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

Mr. Fish posted:

I think Dish is referencing your font being a tiny bit illegible.

Ahem :P 'Where might it lead'

Yeah I'm probably going to make the cards bigger to accommodate better legibility

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

So after using what seems like a dozen (and is only 3-4) graphics libraries, I've finally stuck my toe back in OpenGL/C++.

Everything is a lot easier when you've gotten used to vectors and 3d space and whatnot. I've even got Bullet added in, but that'll be the next step, I'll have some bouncing cubes on a plane or something.

The plane is special because it uses indexing. Yaaay.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Working on my MIDI / OSC controller for iPad, spinoff of TC-11. I'm 1/3 of the way through the new OpenGL visualizations, and here is a go with all the visualizations turned on:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lord funk posted:

Working on my MIDI / OSC controller for iPad, spinoff of TC-11. I'm 1/3 of the way through the new OpenGL visualizations, and here is a go with all the visualizations turned on:

drat thats the kind of stuff I've always wanted to make. Music plugins with good visualizations. Are you hiring?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

drat thats the kind of stuff I've always wanted to make. Music plugins with good visualizations. Are you hiring?

I should be... this is too much work for one person. Kind of wish I had a life.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Ator posted:

Ideally, I'd like to write a board solver that builds temporary child boards in a decision tree, where each node in the tree stores what the board would look like after a gem swap. I still need to add logic for the hypercubes (can be matched w/ any gem), flame gems (explodes an area), and star gems (eliminates a row+column).

So, my partner and I have already done this, and recently. We're working on a project with a unique match-3-based mechanic which requires precise value calculations because of its intended market. We already sicced a patent attorney on it, but I probably shouldn't say too much. Suffice to say, it's really cool to see a graphical representation of the consequences of every possible swap for each possible state of a given board. Also, the code to walk the board and calculate the value is fairly simple, but the size of the tree gets obnoxious REALLY fast.

a nest of hornets
Nov 17, 2012

by Ralp

lord funk posted:

Reminds me of Rez in a "give me this app right now" sort of way

Is a ~23 MB screengrab okay? It's nothing special yet

http://f.cl.ly/items/0n0K302z132T12040G17/zeanit.mov

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

lord funk posted:

Any chance this will hit Android, too? This looks amazing to use. Alternatively, are you interested in developing an Android version? This is definitely the kind of project I can get behind.

lethal trash
Feb 23, 2002
You will be subjected to freezing experiments in Dachau.
I've been working on some water/nutrient flow mechanics for my game today, and I'm moderately pleased. Very simple implementation so far but I thought it looked pretty neat.

I also made a quick video to show everything in action, though the quality is subpar.

http://youtu.be/A3MLHCo7vtY

Next up, making the flow look smoother and fancier, maybe sometime soon I can actually make it fun to play with!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

DeathBySpoon posted:

Any chance this will hit Android, too? This looks amazing to use. Alternatively, are you interested in developing an Android version? This is definitely the kind of project I can get behind.

I don't think it will ever be ported. It's all Cocoa Touch, and 95% of the time spent on the app is getting the UI right. It would be like starting from zero to port it.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Today was a company hackathon so I decided yet again to work on something not related to my job at all.

LÖVE makes working with Lua quite fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEEAONl4qos

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I am but a pathetic mortal among gods in this thread, but I've been trying to teach myself C# (and by consequence, OOP) in my spare time the last few days and made a this:

simple random color generator with special infinite-random-color-selection mode.

I am was proud of myself (before reading this thread.)

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

You've got a fluid UI that doesn't break horribly after repeated actions, that's something to be proud of.

It took me two days to get this working:

(thank paint for loving up the transparency on this one)

Such that the form for the attribute names (the "Field N:" labels/text fields) could grow and shrink without leaving behind widgets and making the whole thing look like rear end. (It looks like rear end anyway.)

Turns out that in Qt if you want to remove elements from a form layout the easiest way to do it is to delete the widget that contains the form layout, recreate it, repopulate any static elements of that layout, then add as many rows as you now need.

I know there are a million online converters but I needed to be able to run this on files containing sensitive data (hence the black bar screenshot) and I couldn't find anything downloadable.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Ephphatha posted:

You've got a fluid UI that doesn't break horribly after repeated actions, that's something to be proud of.

It took me two days to get this working:

(thank paint for loving up the transparency on this one)

Such that the form for the attribute names (the "Field N:" labels/text fields) could grow and shrink without leaving behind widgets and making the whole thing look like rear end. (It looks like rear end anyway.)

Turns out that in Qt if you want to remove elements from a form layout the easiest way to do it is to delete the widget that contains the form layout, recreate it, repopulate any static elements of that layout, then add as many rows as you now need.

I know there are a million online converters but I needed to be able to run this on files containing sensitive data (hence the black bar screenshot) and I couldn't find anything downloadable.

Or you should probably not have fields generated like that. Surely a table would be more appropriate?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Dred_furst posted:

Or you should probably not have fields generated like that. Surely a table would be more appropriate?

Eh, maybe. When I was writing it I thought this looked better than a table would have.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

bobua posted:

Been working on reading my own version of a bar code at high speeds. With debug output I can only do about 5ish fps, but I've gotten it up to over 100fps on a 2.2mp image sensor.

The 2 white dot things behind the back window are the stickers, the squiggly lines everywhere are just debug information overlayed on the video to help me make adjustments.

For some reason that screenshot was really slow loading for me, but that is cool as hell. What's that written in, GPU accelerated at all?

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

Literally Elvis posted:

I am but a pathetic mortal among gods in this thread, but I've been trying to teach myself C# (and by consequence, OOP) in my spare time the last few days and made a this:

simple random color generator with special infinite-random-color-selection mode.

I am was proud of myself (before reading this thread.)
Nice work! An obvious improvement is the addition of a textbox with the hex code of the color. So in addition to the color 63, 127, 254, you can also output #3f7ffe. This is useful to people who need the color in that format, specifically web developers, who can just copy put paste it.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Pseudo-God posted:

Nice work! An obvious improvement is the addition of a textbox with the hex code of the color. So in addition to the color 63, 127, 254, you can also output #3f7ffe. This is useful to people who need the color in that format, specifically web developers, who can just copy put paste it.

Thanks! I'm almost out of work, so I thought I'd implement it in a tooltip for now. I'll look into adding like a "right click > copy color hex" sort of thing when I get home.

ninja edit: also on the to do list is properly ordering the RGB labels on the bottom. The actual inputs go where they need to go, I just think it'd be better if they were arranged according to the acronym.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Now make it also accept HSV.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I'm trying to get a new release of BeagleSNES out, now that my to-do list of other stuff in life has been whittled down to a reasonable size. Yesterday, I got a good chunk of development and testing completed on the XML parser that I wrote to handle the games listed in the game selection GUI. It is going to replace my old, arbitrary parser that barfs if you don't specify everything exactly perfect in the configuration file. Bad config files are one of the major causes of support mails that I receive. :bang:

Today, documentation! I forget how many little things I've added into the codebase since the last release, and it all needs to be documented properly. I wrote these four new (unedited) documentation pages today and made some updates in a few other parts of the manual:

I'm going to be working on this documentation until the day I die. On the bright side, the download stats for BeagleSNES show over 2500 unique downloads from over 60 countries around the world. A lot of people are giving it a try.

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev
I thought it was WAAAYYY passed time that I got my fingers in to the gif pie. I spent the whole day today setting up the my game to make this possible, capturing the ideal footage, editing it all, and then working out the crazy process to get 20 seconds of fast action video into a sub 2MB gif.

Here's the result:

I've recently been adding Challenge Arenas to the game. These are special areas that really challenge the player in exchange for high level loot.
The image below is of one such challenge arena. Each hole in the wall has a big pillar that comes out of it like the one seen in the middle. These animate and change the shape of the room while the player fights off five waves of enemies.

The game's called NeonXSZ (pronounced Neon Excesses) and is a cyberspace dogfighting fps. I've put well over 4000 hours of work into this puppy and if you want to see it on Steam you know what to do and I'd appreciate your help.

Vankwish fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 5, 2014

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

movax posted:

For some reason that screenshot was really slow loading for me, but that is cool as hell. What's that written in, GPU accelerated at all?

C++, my first real application. Yeah, gpu accelerated. It 'works' without gpu acceleration but it's about 10x faster per concurrent frame with it, and I needed to process at least 8 concurrent video sources for my purposes and 1 second of lag would be a deal breaker.

bobua fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 5, 2014

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hendersa posted:

Today, documentation! I forget how many little things I've added into the codebase since the last release, and it all needs to be documented properly. I wrote these four new (unedited) documentation pages today and made some updates in a few other parts of the manual:

I'm going to be working on this documentation until the day I die. On the bright side, the download stats for BeagleSNES show over 2500 unique downloads from over 60 countries around the world. A lot of people are giving it a try.

Ahhhhhhhhhh you said 'power usage of 100mA' :argh:

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
I've done it! I've made a more-or-less feature complete Tetris-clone. It's terrible, but I like it.

Code
Runnable Jar

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

movax posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhh you said 'power usage of 100mA' :argh:
What this guy is trying to say is that in Section 6.2, "power usage of 100mA" should read "current draw of 100mA" or "power usage of 500mW."

Your documentation kicks rear end. The amount of effort you've put into it is impressive and it looks very professional. More open source projects should emulate your style.

concise fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 6, 2014

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Vankwish posted:

I thought it was WAAAYYY passed time that I got my fingers in to the gif pie. I spent the whole day today setting up the my game to make this possible, capturing the ideal footage, editing it all, and then working out the crazy process to get 20 seconds of fast action video into a sub 2MB gif.

Here's the result:

I've recently been adding Challenge Arenas to the game. These are special areas that really challenge the player in exchange for high level loot.
The image below is of one such challenge arena. Each hole in the wall has a big pillar that comes out of it like the one seen in the middle. These animate and change the shape of the room while the player fights off five waves of enemies.

The game's called NeonXSZ (pronounced Neon Excesses) and is a cyberspace dogfighting fps. I've put well over 4000 hours of work into this puppy and if you want to see it on Steam you know what to do and I'd appreciate your help.

That looks fantastic.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Here's a link to the greenlight page for Vankwishes game if anyone is too lazy to use google. There can never be too many 6d descent style shooters :3: (considering I only know of two modern games in that genre).

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

hendersa posted:

I'm going to be working on this documentation until the day I die.

You really do have the best documentation though. Keep it up.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I ported my VectorLand project to an HTML5 client and WebSockets-based server communication.

Here's a bugged out screenshot from when I was incorrectly sign-extending coordinates as I unpacked server messages:

And this time you can try it live (assuming the server's still up): http://mumble.valoryn.net:8082/vector.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

concise posted:

What this guy is trying to say is that in Section 6.2, "power usage of 100mA" should read "current draw of 100mA" or "power usage of 500mW."

Your documentation kicks rear end. The amount of effort you've put into it is impressive and it looks very professional. More open source projects should emulate your style.

Oh yeah, his documentation is incredibly good, I just like calling out misuse of current/power figures ;)