Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Fernhill posted:

Only if "required" means "pointless" in your peculiar dialect.

I'm sorry that you don't like funny threads, but it is currently my favorite Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Bhodi posted:

Hey where is the thread where I can rubberneck as the Ukraine goes down in flames? Maybe learn a little bit about WTF happened and what led up to the mess over there? I glanced around D&D, GBS, T&T, but no dice. Any current events thread around? Is there one? Maybe Egypt spoiled me.

They're talking about it in the Eastern Europe thread in D&D and have livestreams posted and whatnot. No dedicated thread that I know of, though.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586795 Starts somewhere around page 15 or so, I think.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Ahh I just bit into a piece of popcorn and lost part of my molar, fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck :(

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

detectivemonkey posted:

Weirdly, people around me (VA) consider Trader Joe's an expensive store. Even people who shop there regularly pretend it's expensive and on par with Whole Foods in an "I know, I know, I just love my family too much to feed them GMO's" kind if way.

Seconding 2-buck Chuck. My mom lives in MD (where they don't have wine in grocery stores) and when she comes to visit me it's 90% to have an excuse to buy a bunch of bottles.

People consider it a frou frou place with ridiculous prices in Va, but having shopped there for a year or so in college when I was in DC, they have loving great prices. If I budgeted myself right, I could walk out of there with enough to feed myself for a week on $50.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Zero Star posted:

Ahh I just bit into a piece of popcorn and lost part of my molar, fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck :(

I am sorry for your loss. Popcorn is dangerous as gently caress. I got an abcess on my wisdom tooth from a piece of popcorn kernel getting way under my gums once. I have also given up on movie theater popcorn eating after I got a kernel skin piece caught on the back of my tongue and spent half the movie coughing and almost throwing up. Ban popcorn

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Zero Star posted:

I haaaaate that, where you're absently filling your face with popcorn and then you bite down on that unyielding little fucker of an unpopped kernel.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also popcorn lung is a thing. We should just get rid of popcorn from the Earth.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

bowmore posted:

Is that why people smoke, to get lung butter for their popcorn lung?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

bowmore posted:

Only if you go with fake butter/diacetyl. My popcorn is only air popped and flavored with the finest sea salt sweet cream butter. :colbert:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I am willing to endure any physical trauma that popcorn will bestow upon me. Dying at 30 is worth having access to the best snack ever made.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kannonfodder posted:

the best snack ever made.
don't agree

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

bowmore posted:

don't agree

Agreed

That title belongs to red wine and pork rinds

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

kannonfodder posted:

I am willing to endure any physical trauma that popcorn will bestow upon me. Dying at 30 is worth having access to the best snack ever made.

Movie theater popcorn is what I would choose as a last meal if I was ever on death row. Best snack.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Zero Star posted:

This happened to me ages ago, only it was, uh, a cheese sandwich. The molar's being drilled out of my skull at some point over the next couple of months - they need to peel the gum back to drill out the root, because so much has fallen out that they can't grip it with Dentist Pliers.

What I'm getting at is that you'll probably die soon.

Fernhill
Oct 28, 2013

My local movie theater has moved the "butter" dispenser out from behind the counter so that customers can add all of the "butter" they want to their popcorn. The popcorn containers are also made of plastic so that none of the "butter" can soak through the bottom. Some people have abused this new system.

:gonk:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Coffee And Pie posted:

Movie theater popcorn is what I would choose as a last meal if I was ever on death row. Best snack.

Pretty much. Especially if you get the snack combos that include skittles or those chewy life savers. That handful of sweet followed by the handful of salty is better than any fine dining.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The reason everyone hates Americans is that you put butter on popcorn and still consider yourselves human.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Jerry Cotton posted:

The reason everyone hates Americans is that you put butter on popcorn and still consider yourselves human.

Butter on popcorn is delicious. Acceptable alternatives include maple syup or cheese. I just don't understand why you wouldn't like melted salty fat on your popcorn. I had popcorn with bear fat once and it was basically the best thing in the world.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Jerry Cotton posted:

My cousins in Europe think we are weird for eating corn. They think corn is animal food

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

My cousins in Europe think we are weird for eating corn. They think corn is animal food

I know people who eat corn, usually barbecued cobs, but they're definitely a minority. Mostly you just see the kernels dumped haphazardly into salads, soups, and casseroles at schools and the army (so, yeah, animal food), via hemapa (herne, maissi, paprika = pea, corn, bell pepper; available at any frozen foods section).

:yum:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Is this a case of the language difference? In UK english when people say 'corn' they usually mean wheat, not maize, maize is specifically 'sweetcorn'.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

SybilVimes posted:

Is this a case of the language difference? In UK english when people say 'corn' they usually mean wheat, not maize, maize is specifically 'sweetcorn'.

Nope. They saw regular corn when they came over here and were confused that we ate it as a dish. They are from the continent

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, even in America it is used more as animal food than people food. It is tasty, however.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nope. They saw regular corn when they came over here and were confused that we ate it as a dish. They are from the continent

Which part of the continent? Corn is a popular side dish over here, maybe it was just them being picky and smug about it / raised in a family of maize haters.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

steinrokkan posted:

Which part of the continent? Corn is a popular side dish over here, maybe it was just them being picky and smug about it / raised in a family of maize haters.

Germany and Belgium

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
One of them eventually started putting it on spaghetti

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

One of them eventually started putting it on spaghetti

You should have told them the American Way is to put butter on spaghetti.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Jerry Cotton posted:

Italians also do this. At least northern italians do. They seem to eat more butter. Probably because of the french influence.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LorrdErnie posted:

Italians also do this. At least northern italians do. They seem to eat more butter. Probably because of the french influence.

Is it the unsalted butter they have? I've been to Italy but after about two seconds I stopped looking at them eating. (Not that I particularly enjoy watching anyone eat spaghetti.)

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've had pasta al Homer before, which is basically angel hair pasta with browned butter and some kind of sharp Italian cheese, so named because it was what the poet survived on while writing The Iliad.

Wasn't bad.

Needed corn.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NotAnArtist posted:

I've had pasta al Homer before, which is basically angel hair pasta with browned butter and some kind of sharp Italian cheese, so named because it was what the poet survived on while writing The Iliad.

Wasn't bad.

Needed corn.

Homer had some mad money to afford cheese imported all the way from the colonies. (Are you sure it's not named after Homer Simpson?)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What are you talking about, it's obvious that a person living centuries prior to emergence of noodles in Europe and in a period notable for lack of written records would leave behind something as menial as his favorite pasta recipe.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

What are you talking about, it's obvious that a person living centuries prior to emergence of noodles in Europe and in a period notable for lack of written records would leave behind something as menial as his favorite pasta recipe.

But surely the Iliad is a written record. I'll see if I can find the recipe in there somewhere. (What's noodles in Swedish, that's the only translation I have?)

fake edit: it's probably noodlar.

real edit: it is.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nah, The Illiad had been passed down orally for some time before it was written down.

"Parry demonstrated beyond serious doubt that, before the Iliad and Odyssey were written down, the poems were composed orally over a period of centuries by generations of pre-literate bards who composed as they sang the verses."

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Jan 27, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ancient greeks were big on butter and cow cheese. Couldn't get enough of it.

Northern and western europe was really rocky, hot and arid, and was generally suited better to growing olives for oil, but Greece was cool, wet and temperate, so dairy cattle flourished. That's why you'd expect a poor poet to scrape by eating cheese and butter. More wealthy people, such as those who would have the actual leisure to collate poetry rather than taking part in subsistence agriculture, would splurge out on leaf vegetables and grains.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No, really? I am amaged. So the bible is the only reliable record we have of ancient times?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Penguingo posted:

generally suited better to growing olives for oil

Are you taking the piss? I can never tell nowadays. Nevermind.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

No, really? I am amaged. So the bible is the only reliable record we have of ancient times?

No, pyramid texts are - but there's only so much you can glean from pictures of slaves dancing next to ibises and vases.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

No, pyramid texts are - but there's only so much you can glean from pictures of slaves dancing next to ibises and vases.

Oh I can glean loads :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

bible reliable

lol

• Locked thread