Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Modding succession laws is all locked down behind hard coding, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

nutranurse posted:

Sadly yes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I don't know, I don't really like the idea of Gavelkind being manageable - I'm quite happy with the idea of a terrible realm-destroying chaos law that is virtually impossible to game in any way that will keep your realm stable or allow you to stack the deck in your heir's favor. Then again, I'm not someone to freak out about pretty borders...which is probably good, because I'm about to load up my Ironman Byzantine game and smash my armies against a Jihad hellstack about three more times before I'm finally completely out of levies and money and have no choice but to give up Anatolia. Am I going to have to claw it back one duchy at a time with Holy Wars after I finally get my retinues up to speed (inherited in the middle of the war and had to work with what the AI left me).

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

nutranurse posted:

Looks like Paradox hired someone to deal with modding for CKII and EUIV. Says one of his plans is to help bring everything into the modder's hands.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

JGBeagle posted:

Looks like Paradox hired someone to deal with modding for CKII and EUIV. Says one of his plans is to help bring everything into the modder's hands.

This would be the best thing.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The tricky thing with succession laws is that the AI must be able to handle it, so you don't end up with everyone wanting to marry patrilinealy in a matrilineal nation by default, and it only gets crazier with some of the weirder succession rules (the Russian one?).

As for Rajas of India, just throwing an eye on a map that includes India: Doesn't this mean we'll get pretty much all of Ethiopia, the better part of Siberia, all of Kazakhstan, Tibet and maybe even western Mongolia? Unless those are just greyed out with WASTELAND until maybe later expansions flesh those areas out :iiam:

Basically, how this will affect the Mongols is going to be interesting.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I expect the Russian steppes and the Himalayas (at minimum) to be a huge greyed-out wasteland, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Alleged look at the new CK2 map areas:

I guess this means they fixed separate ocean areas now, Indus also looks to be sailable

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 26, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It doesn't look to be more than 100 new provinces in that India, maybe something like 60-80? (Fast count) + Bangladesh/Burma area maybe.
Another 20 in Persia-Afghanistan area tops.
And maybe another 20-40 in Africa...

That's about half of the new provinces accounted for.

Tibet doesn't look to be in, but maybe some more of central asia is included as playable?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I hope that they don't miss out on the fact that India is not very much smaller than Western Europe.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 26, 2014

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
After a ridiculous amount of stabbing and holy wars, I managed to usurp the Byzantine Empire from my cousin. The game immediately went nuts and started spamming prestige popups for places I control, which was weird. Out of curiosity I popped the intrigue menu and there was a decision to restore the Roman Empire. That sounds nifty and I control nearly everything required.

After stories here, it seems restoring the empire starts converting people to orthodox like crazy. Is this hardcoded? I'm catholic, so that would be Very Very Bad(c).

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Mailer posted:

After a ridiculous amount of stabbing and holy wars, I managed to usurp the Byzantine Empire from my cousin. The game immediately went nuts and started spamming prestige popups for places I control, which was weird. Out of curiosity I popped the intrigue menu and there was a decision to restore the Roman Empire. That sounds nifty and I control nearly everything required.

After stories here, it seems restoring the empire starts converting people to orthodox like crazy. Is this hardcoded? I'm catholic, so that would be Very Very Bad(c).

No, restoring the roman empire does not convert you, nor your vassals, to orthodox.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Restoring the Empire and mending the Schism are two different things. By restoring the Empire, you won't change a thing on religious front. By mending the Schism, a paradox bug will happen. Basically, when you enact it, catholic religion will become heresy of orthodoxy and a massive conversion to orthodoxy will happen. But since orthodox religion is noticeably smaller than catholic, if not enough people convert, then a SOA mechanic will kick in, the one that changes the status of heretical and main religion if a heresy have more provinces than the main. In this example, orthodox will become a heresy of catholic. :downs:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

That's amazing and now I must double heresy my next game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Disco Infiva posted:

Restoring the Empire and mending the Schism are two different things

Welp, I'm an idiot. Thanks for that. Yet another goal to reach before the end date!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Oh, and you can only mend the Schism if you are orthodox.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I hope that they don't miss out on the fact that India is not very much smaller than Western Europe.

In area or population? I admit to be rather ignorant of medieval Indian history.

Which is one of the reasons I am so excited about the expansion and the opportunity to learn more. Especially since there are always knowledgeable goons around, and if you post "I have conquered India with the lovely count of XYZ!" and one of them chimes in "That is actually what nearly happened [wikipedia link] :eng101:" and your knowledge of India just grew a little bit more.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Torrannor posted:

In area or population? I admit to be rather ignorant of medieval Indian history.

He probably meant area. In population it is very much bigger.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
As long as I can take revenge on everyone while playing as Afghanistan I will be happy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rejected Fate posted:

He probably meant area. In population it is very much bigger.

Huh. I'd always thought that India was bigger than Europe.

Still, that doesn't seem to be that many provinces for such a big area. It barely looks to be bigger than France in that screenshot, which is somewhat disappointing.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Update on my Krakow->Poland->Reformed Slavic run.

Finally formed the Wendish Empire (taking those last few counties from Slavic Bohemia and Slavic Pomerania was a pain -- few claimants so I had to claim fabricate... which has interesting RNG in that it can take forever).

I usurped the Kingdom of Bulgaria... and it came in as Gavelkind, not Primogeniture like all my other Kingdoms. And I can't destroy it and reform it unless I rule for 10 years... and my queen is old. Hrm.

One interesting thing I've done this game is every vassal is a count and I am the only one with a Duchy and Kingdom. So when I was Elective (before Primogeniture), I was the only one with a vote. (This is largely possibly because of Tyranny at the start and then Holy War/Conquest CBs letting me allocate counties to "Invite a Holy Man" people).

Byzantium Holy Warred on me and, after beating them back, as revenge, I took Constantinople. Apparently that unlocks Crusades! Oops. I fended off a Crusade for Bavaria by sieging down Rome as fast as possible. This is the game that has taught me the value of Assaulting sieges, given sufficient troop numbers (Warriors of Perun are quite amazing, though, when they are not in my service, they seem to like to wander the map doing their own thing. They have a Barony in one my counties, but I am not sure how to vassalize them?)

I am vaguely worried about a triple-threat from a Catholic Crusade, a Byzantium Holy War, and the eventual Mongol invasion. Not sure if I should focus on finishing off the Byzantine Empire or pushing into Catholic Europe. A relative inherited the Pechengs (the giant dark yellow blob to the east) and apparently maintained the Tribal Invasion CB somehow so they provide a valuable buffer state vs. the Mongols to the East. This also makes me glad I didn't integrate the two nations (I could have voted for the ruler of the Pechengs back when I was under Elective, but his Diplomacy was weak and I wanted to see what would happen if I left him alone -- turns out that Tribal Invasion CB is pretty amazing, and I would have lost that had I made him King of Poland). It's only 1010 or so, so Mongols are probably far off.

State of the world:

Pretty borders mostly maintained on my part. I want to get Bohemia and Pomerania into the Empire, but all I have are de jure CBs. They're both kings so they won't accept vassalization (ever, right?)

alcaras fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 26, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrSunshine posted:

Huh. I'd always thought that India was bigger than Europe.

Still, that doesn't seem to be that many provinces for such a big area. It barely looks to be bigger than France in that screenshot, which is somewhat disappointing.

Well, he said Western Europe. If you keep in mind a significant chunk of Russia, Europe obviously has a larger area than India. But I don't know what you meant with barely bigger than France, it looks at least as big as France + Spain + Britain together.

Modern India: About 3 million square kilometers.
Modern France: About 640,000 square kilometers.
Modern Spain: About 500,000 square kilometers.
Modern UK: About 240,000 square kilometers.

Europe: About 10 million square kilometers.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Well, he said Western Europe. If you keep in mind a significant chunk of Russia, Europe obviously has a larger area than India. But I don't know what you meant with barely bigger than France, it looks at least as big as France + Spain + Britain together.

He meant the ingame screenshot posted.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Pimpmust posted:

He meant the ingame screenshot posted.

Yep.

I wonder what the "Merchant caravan hangs out, hands you a eunuch at the end" event chain will be like for Indian rulers?

"Tell me about this mystic land of Europa."

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Yep.

I wonder what the "Merchant caravan hangs out, hands you a eunuch at the end" event chain will be like for Indian rulers?

"Tell me about this mystic land of Europa."

Leaving behind an unskilled, Lustful moron.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
In my current Byzantine game, I'd been locked in a bit of a stalemate with a super stable, huge Arabian Empire after they had a decadence revolt and an awesome conqueror took over. After years and years, when they finally had some instability I marched in and took some land, but didn't pay attention to what exactly was happening.

A few years later I notice Persia broke free. Ok, cool. A few years after that I notice that Persia was Zorastrian. The Liberator was one of the Zoroastrian heresies and was half way to converting the whole kingdom (all his vassals were converted). He had proceeded to conquer some areas to his west and turn away a jihad.

First time I've ever seen Zorastrianism make a come back and it was badass.

rvm
May 6, 2013

alcaras posted:

(Warriors of Perun are quite amazing, though, when they are not in my service, they seem to like to wander the map doing their own thing. They have a Barony in one my counties, but I am not sure how to vassalize them?)

Give them one of your de jure duchies or any kingdom.

Also, create dukes and grand dukes. Counts are harder to manage and just as dangerous as dukes thanks to event-spawned troops.

And once Great Holy Wars start, you're going to have to deal with extremely powerful vassals anyway. In my reformed slavic game I basically single-handedly won one for Germany, but most of the land went to one of my counts for whatever reason.

rvm fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 26, 2014

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Excelzior posted:

Leaving behind an unskilled, Lustful moron.

I chuckled like an idiot at this. I can't wait for this new expansion. I'm sure others have said this before, but I owe this game a lot for my knowledge of geography. I know next to nothing about the politics, geography and history of India and this game and thread will be a great place to learn.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I think I might have asked this before, but has Paradox ever released any modding documentation? Or is it just up to us to dig through the files to see how stuff works?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

rvm posted:

Give them one of your de jure duchies or any kingdom.

Do they need a county too?

quote:

Also, create dukes and grand dukes. Counts are harder to manage and just as dangerous as dukes thanks to event-spawned troops.

Was planning to, but am waiting for succession so my heir gets the bonus from handing out duchies. For now I'm plotting to revoke all two-county counts.

quote:

And once Great Holy Wars start, you're going to have to deal with extremely powerful vassals anyway. In my reformed slavic game I basically single-handedly won one for Germany, but most of the land went to one of my counts for whatever reason.

No Jihads yet, so GHWs are still a ways away.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Glokta posted:

I chuckled like an idiot at this. I can't wait for this new expansion. I'm sure others have said this before, but I owe this game a lot for my knowledge of geography. I know next to nothing about the politics, geography and history of India and this game and thread will be a great place to learn.

And then you can dazzle your friends when you recount the history of the 1125 Hungarian Zoroastrian Invasion of Sri Lanka.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Through court intrigue WELL beyond my understanding, my regent (my mom) was replaced by...

The former leader of a peasant rebellion?

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:

Torrannor posted:

Did someone say Romance of the Three Kingdoms, now developed by Paradox Interactive?

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Disco Infiva posted:

And you might laugh now at "pretty borders" crowd, but pretty soon you're going to like them ironically, and that is just one step from posting hateposts at ugly maps :argh:

Pretty borders are like drugs.

I will hate the pretty borders crowd, I will hate you all forever. Long live ugly maps.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Can merchant republics have a landlocked capital province? Getting way ahead of myself as Khazaria here, I ultimately want to spin off an Israeli republic and switch to playing that but I'd like to keep Jerusalem as the capital.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

I find it funny how some traits are visible so early. I mean this three year old has more martial ability than some nobles, and is 'strong' for a three year old which I have no idea what that's supposed to entail.

Wait, my wife is pregnant and I was away? I wonder who--

:catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare:

Well at least now I have something worthy of posting in this thread.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Inside Outside posted:

Can merchant republics have a landlocked capital province? Getting way ahead of myself as Khazaria here, I ultimately want to spin off an Israeli republic and switch to playing that but I'd like to keep Jerusalem as the capital.

Nope, that is impossible. The moment their capital becomes landlocked they cease to be a merchant republic and become a plain republic.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

PootieTang posted:

I find it funny how some traits are visible so early. I mean this three year old has more martial ability than some nobles, and is 'strong' for a three year old which I have no idea what that's supposed to entail.

:catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare:

Judging by your characters face, it seems that he also connected the dots.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Torrannor posted:

Yes, Western Europe exactly. And even then it depends on your definiion: if it's the UN regional scheme, then India is handily bigger than Western Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

PootieTang posted:

You know, I thought we had exhausted all the incest-related topics/screenshots that we could muster, but nope!

• Locked thread