Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So uh, if Dr. Gel has a book saying "Hey, this thing's a Killer Carnivore Boob Monster, if seen, walk in opposite direction." then doesn't that mean it's already been discovered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I'd wager no one else brought back a sample, at the very least.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

ConanThe3rd posted:

So uh, if Dr. Gel has a book saying "Hey, this thing's a Killer Carnivore Boob Monster, if seen, walk in opposite direction." then doesn't that mean it's already been discovered?

Probably would still be worth a lot to researchers if one was caught alive.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Ep 3 was almost ruined by using "light-year" as a length of time (or was that just the dub?) but became the best so far after a short time.

The dub line could've been written a little better. QT says it came from "10,000 light years in the future." FUNimation's subtitled version says "It came from 10,000 light years away."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silentman0 posted:

Probably would still be worth a lot to researchers if one was caught alive.

It was mentioned in episode 2 that how rare the creature is matters.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Yeah, this show is really very pretty, and I like meow, but too much of the humour and the scenarios are just falling way too flat for me. I guess I've grown to want something that's just punchier and more concentrated, with some actual progression.

I mean, it's a fun, pulpy watch, but I'll wait until it's all out now and I can have people point me to the good bits.

Plus the next episode is zombies and eugh.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

ConanThe3rd posted:

"Known to exist but not registered" was what I inferred.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
Call me out on this one, but when I watch Space Dandy, I feel like I'm watching Cobra: The Space Pirate. I know they are both Space Opera, but I just can't help this sense of Deja Vu.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gdsdqu5XWI

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ArcadePark posted:

Call me out on this one, but when I watch Space Dandy, I feel like I'm watching Cobra: The Space Pirate. I know they are both Space Opera, but I just can't help this sense of Deja Vu.

It's basically every space anime ever twisted into comedy. Hey, it turns out sci fi works really well when you replace the main cast with Johnny Bravo, a cat alien, and a robot that sounds like Honey from Ouran High School Host Club.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I move that the thread title be changed to Dandy in the Space(with Boobies)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I enjoy these videos more than I should.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Genocyber posted:

I enjoy these videos more than I should.

agreedo. Space dandy makes my heart go doki doki.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
drat, I am digging the hell out of this series. I suppose it helps that I stumbled on it right after I started rewatching some old episodes of Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star and this thing is basically a goofy love letter to 70s sci fi anime. Also that I am a sucker for weird monsters.

I think one of the elements of the show I most enjoy is the fact that Dandy is basically your standard Space Adventure Cobra/Lupin III style protagonist but a complete gently caress up. He basically has all the goofiness of those two with none of the competence to back it up: He's a terrible shot, consistently gets himself and his crewmates killed through his own stupidity and the only women he manages to successfully charm are waitresses at a Hooters knock-off who're being paid to put up with his poo poo.

It's like they made a show about the Retsupurae interpretation of Cobra basically.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So all the penis talk in the Adventure Time thread has got me looking at this most recent episode.

Space Dandy see's himself as this super competent ladies man, but when he's actually trying to fire his gun at vagina mouths he can't hit anything. Even when he's literally stuck his gun into one.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Dandy kinda seems like he's competent when he can stop trying to pose and act up all the time, but since he's usually too caught up in being stylish he kinda sabotages the crap out of himself.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Gorelab posted:

Dandy kinda seems like he's competent when he can stop trying to pose and act up all the time, but since he's usually too caught up in being stylish he kinda sabotages the crap out of himself.

I'm actually wondering if this won't even be a legitimate plot point eventually. I could see them pulling a Spike, where Dandy used to be someone important and competent before choosing to be, well...Dandy. That might even explain why he's being hunted, as he possesses either an item or knowledge that would be exceptionally dangerous.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm actually wondering if this won't even be a legitimate plot point eventually. I could see them pulling a Spike, where Dandy used to be someone important and competent before choosing to be, well...Dandy. That might even explain why he's being hunted, as he possesses either an item or knowledge that would be exceptionally dangerous.

He seems to possess a lot of unusually dangerous items, for example his supernova hula girl and his escape pod battle mech.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Dandy is actually a legendary space pirate, who had his memory wiped and his face changed in order to escape the deadly space pirate guild.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dandy probably thinks he's living in a show and decides to follow the Rule of Cool.

If it's Cool, how could it possibly be bad for him?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

He stole Dr. Gel's supply of rare hair products, forcing the poor space ape to wear wigs and hats. :negative:

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

TwoPair posted:

He seems to possess a lot of unusually dangerous items, for example his supernova hula girl and his escape pod battle mech.

Don't forget his metal pimp shoes. Gotta get me a pair of those!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
So uh, this episode of Space Dandy was probably the best zombie-related thing made in years. Jesus Christ that second half made me laugh til it hurt.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Zorak posted:

So uh, this episode of Space Dandy was probably the best zombie-related thing made in years. Jesus Christ that second half made me laugh til it hurt.

And people say George would never make a great thing again, I loved the Dawn of the Dead references what with the mall and a blatent reference to the poster. Living where that movie was filmed made this episode even better.

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.
Well that was probably the weirdest episode of anything I've ever seen.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

What even is an anime? I don't know anymore.

"I feel like we go to malls a lot.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY GEORGE A. ROMERO

The second half was loving fantastic, I eagerly await next week to see if the next episode is again better than the last. Zombie QT was my favorite part :3:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Zorak posted:

No kidding. We're probably never going to see another use of zombies this good for another few years. The term "putting a cap in their benefits" alone was absolutely brilliant.

The only complaint I can make is that we never got to see Admiral Perry as a zombie.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Zorak posted:

I've always wanted a zombie documentary.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Even when he's a zombie Dandy is accidentally competent.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

And people say George would never make a great thing again, I loved the Dawn of the Dead references what with the mall and a blatent reference to the poster. Living where that movie was filmed made this episode even better.

You're misinterpreting that last bit. They were watching a Romero film at the end, Romero didn't direct this. It was just a homage / tribute.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zorak posted:

You're misinterpreting that last bit. They were watching a Romero film at the end, Romero didn't direct this. It was just a homage / tribute.

Why can't you dream Zorak?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Zorak posted:

It would have been funny if they started playing Night of the Living Dead on the screen.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

achillesforever6 posted:

It would have been funny if they started playing Night of the Living Dead on the screen.

They could, legally. Way too many low budget movies have taken advantage of that too.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
The 2nd half's documentry/slice-of-life is some of the best TV I've ever seen. And I don't think there could be any better zombie story than this. It's over; finished.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Douglas loving Adams.

I was trying to pitch this episode in the TV IV general thread because the second half was so goddamn incredible that I was compelled to drum up some interest outside of anime fandom, if only to gain some perspective. And I was trying to figure out how to describe what made this episode so special without giving the game away, and it hits me.

I'm far from a devoted fan of Douglas Adams, but I do admire The Hitchhiker's Guide, but come on: Zombies eating yogurt instead of meat? Collecting death benefits? Scaring the insurance companies into hiring hitmen to put a cap on said benefits? Ultimately going on to live normal lives and achieving world peace due to being too dead to give a poo poo about anything? It may have lacked his spiritual depth, but all of it reeked of Adams-esque absurdity, and it was delivered in the same dry, matter-of-fact way that he would have done it.

drat this was well done.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

First half of Ep. 4 had the return of Carpenter synths and some great Dawn of the Dead (original and remake) stuff throughout. Admittedly biased, but as somebody who has watched a poo poo ton of zombie movies, I loving loved it. This show just keeps taking things that I like and running with them.

I don't know if the show is getting better or if the writing is that great, but the animation alone justifies its existence and the fact that the show doesn't adhere to much continuity means that it just does whatever it loving wants, which gives me a lot of hope in the rest of the episodes.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 26, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Woah this show just blew mah mind man.

That's it. We're done. All of human society can shut up about zombies forever now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Being Meow is suffering.

died 3 times in 4 episodes, missed out on amazing space ramen in the one episode he survived. not to mention he lasted about a minute in this one.

• Locked thread