Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Soonmot posted:

Add Soonmot, too. I have a mid 40's Warrior that can help out. She'll probably be a strider soon as I', looking to switch from assassin to fighter with my main.

I'm in the Everfall are there any inns or rest spots anymore? My pawns are at no health and I'm running out of healing supplies.
As a situational strategy, you can also let your pawns die or desummon them, then go to the rift and bring them back. Not so great if your other two pawns are higher levels than you, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Even just popping in and out of the rift will heal up your pawns.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

I'll take you up on this offer. I got this game at Christmas and only now getting around to it and I'm having quite a lot of fun so far. I have very little idea of what I'm doing story-wise but still enjoying it regardless.

My GT is ImANarc and my pawn is a dwarven middle-aged warrior.

Soonmot posted:

Add Soonmot, too. I have a mid 40's Warrior that can help out. She'll probably be a strider soon as I', looking to switch from assassin to fighter with my main.

I'm in the Everfall are there any inns or rest spots anymore? My pawns are at no health and I'm running out of healing supplies.

Gotcha. I was grinding some fighter levels out of her to get the HP and Carry Weight buffs, and it is a very entertaining trainwreck watching her try to fight. I'll swap her over to what she was made to be again and rest to get you rollin'.

Also, I went Magic Archer and I spent ten minutes trying to get Frigor to make a stepping stone. What am I missing?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Father Wendigo posted:

Also, I went Magic Archer and I spent ten minutes trying to get Frigor to make a stepping stone. What am I missing?
You just need to cast it once and wait a second for the top half of the ice spire to disintegrate: the lower half will remain around for a bit allowing you to jump and climb it like other terrain features.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sometimes it just refuses to make the ice step at all. I'm not sure why.

e: probably needs a minimum amount of open space. The ice step is kind of big.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 25, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I CAN GET OUT?!? Welp... that just made things much easier.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

You can also use ferrystones as normal while you're in the everfall, so if you decide you want to go from it to dicking around on BBI or just wandering Gransys, hunting for dragons you totally can.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Captain Novolin posted:

Even just popping in and out of the rift will heal up your pawns.

Simply touching a riftstone will slowly heal up all your pawns to full.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Captain Novolin posted:

You can also use ferrystones as normal while you're in the everfall, so if you decide you want to go from it to dicking around on BBI or just wandering Gransys, hunting for dragons you totally can.

I carry a portal stone around with me to plunk down so I can sell/store loot and return to my exact spot when exploring. When I tried to use it, it wouldn't work so I never even attempted to use the ferrystone.

I switched from assassin to fighter and, holy poo poo, do I miss my bow.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Captain Novolin posted:

Or you could just fall on your face on the sidewalk from a thousand feet in the air. That's my preferred method of leaving the Everfall, anyway.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

After playing around with Frigor some more, it looks like the problem is mostly your pawns. They like standing in front of you when there's not a fight in progress, at pretty much the exact spot an un-targetted Frigor will go. The ice step only appears if there is nothing blocking it, including your pawns. This means you will probably have to do some running around to move your pawns out of the way if you need to set one up in a specific spot.

Jun 1, 2000

ζ
Logged in to find 21.5k RCs and a bunch of cool gear from utlaar. Thanks!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Soonmot posted:

As long as you have supplies to keep yourself healed, you can heal your pawns by standing next to a riftstone. Though I can't remember if there are many of those in the Everfall. Still, it's something I didn't notice until I started playing BBI in my post-game run. It made fighting some of the more difficult enemies easier as I could just stand near the riftstone and keep my pawns fully healed while they whittled away at something.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Is there a consistent method to removing an armored cyclops' helmet? I know banging on other parts of his body removes the armor but I can't get his drat helmet off. He removed it once but I have no idea what triggered that.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
The straps are connected on the back of their head, hit it there.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Climb onto his face to trigger the "DURR MUST GRAB TINY MAN" attack. He'll reach up and pull the helmet off if you jump out of the way.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Getting a metal golem to punch itself to death was rad. Murdering a gorecyclops that couldn't hit me back was rad. Finding out that I had bait on me that summoned a curse dragon as soon as the gorecyclops died (and that could very much hit me) was not rad. :gonk:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

BlueDestiny posted:

Climb onto his face to trigger the "DURR MUST GRAB TINY MAN" attack. He'll reach up and pull the helmet off if you jump out of the way.

Or just climb up his back to just below his neck. He'll reach back to grab you, miss, and tear off his helmet instead. No jumping needed.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Getting a metal golem to punch itself to death was rad. Murdering a gorecyclops that couldn't hit me back was rad. Finding out that I had bait on me that summoned a curse dragon as soon as the gorecyclops died (and that could very much hit me) was not rad. :gonk:

I was a couple bars into fighting a Firedrake and was just holding my own when a cursed dragon decided to swoop in and join the fight. I ran away mighty quick.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

BlueDestiny posted:

Simply being in close proximity will heal pawns to full.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Multiple dragons I can handle, if with difficulty. That one room with 4 Living Armors is the one that makes me go "Nope! gently caress you, running for the exit now!" I can handle one or even two Living Armors, but 4 at once just makes it impossible to get behind them without getting destroyed by one of the others. And, of course, pawns are totally incompetent at fighting them.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I've never had trouble with living armors. Of course, I play a magic archer and any combination of sixfold bolt, ricochet hunter, explosive rivet or vortex trail will trivialize them. The bolts of sixfold bolt will circle around the shield and it has good damage and stagger, ricochet hunter will also circle around the shield and stunlock anything in tight quarters, explosive rivet has ridiculous knockdown that can keep almost anything grounded forever once you get the first explosion in and vortex trail will lock down the movement of everything living armor sized or smaller.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
First Living Armor fight was hilarious for me. I didn't notice its armor breaking, so I just thought its Defense skyrocketed after it lost half its health or so. After plinking at it for a while, my Pawn cast High Maelstrom, which meant I had to bug out because the Armor just deflected everything while the tornado was spinning. Then my Pawn cast it again, which started to piss me off, because the drat spell wasn't doing any damage and the Armor still had three bars to go.

The tornado clears.

The Armor is gone.

A split-second later, it falls out of the sky and goes SPLAT at my feet. All three bars vanish.

Good job, Pawn.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Okasvi posted:

I've never had trouble with living armors. Of course, I play a magic archer and any combination of sixfold bolt, ricochet hunter, explosive rivet or vortex trail will trivialize them. The bolts of sixfold bolt will circle around the shield and it has good damage and stagger, ricochet hunter will also circle around the shield and stunlock anything in tight quarters, explosive rivet has ridiculous knockdown that can keep almost anything grounded forever once you get the first explosion in and vortex trail will lock down the movement of everything living armor sized or smaller.

The 4 Living Armor group is in a giant open room, there's nothing for Ricochet Hunter to bounce off of. Sixfold bolt never seems to work for me, either, it just pings off the shield. I can kill Living Armors in other places (ie, places with corridors) with Ricochet Hunter, but I have to use daggers to do any damage to them at all in the Black Abbey. I never tried Explosive Rivet, but again, there are four of the fuckers. Even with its knockdown, you can't keep four different Living Armors permanently grounded by yourself.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Living armors are a pain because once I get their health low, I have to wait for my pawns to do magic damage and it takes them forever.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
As a DD newb, I've been wondering about pawns. I've been traveling with my main pawn and a support pawn. Will this affect my exp gains or the game in general? As in will I eventually level too quickly? :ohdear:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I wish the BBI quest boards had more quests that involved hunting BBI creatures in Gransys. A little extra forethought would have been good though, since the 2x Condemned Gorecyclops at Shadow Fort can be cheesed, just like every other Condemned Gorecylops fight. It is funny watching them smash the two normal Cyclops to death though.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

BlueDestiny posted:

This. I always wondered why the pawns acted like it would help them out but only some time ago did I realize you just need to stand near a riftstone with your pawns for them to be automatically healed up to full.

Big L posted:

As a DD newb, I've been wondering about pawns. I've been traveling with my main pawn and a support pawn. Will this affect my exp gains or the game in general? As in will I eventually level too quickly? :ohdear:

Pawns too high level will incur a penalty on your EXP. I forget but I think it's if they're 10 levels higher than you, that's the highest the penalty will go. Obviously traveling with no pawns means XP isn't shared so you also get more. Pawns 10 levels under you I think you'll get a little more?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Big L posted:

Having more pawns actually drops the amount of exp you get, but it's not very noticeable until you're dealing with bosses. It'll make things easier because you'll have another pair of hands (or two) but it doesn't really matter in the long run. As long as your pawns aren't 30 levels above you and just flattening everything you see it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Zurai posted:

Multiple dragons I can handle, if with difficulty. That one room with 4 Living Armors is the one that makes me go "Nope! gently caress you, running for the exit now!" I can handle one or even two Living Armors, but 4 at once just makes it impossible to get behind them without getting destroyed by one of the others. And, of course, pawns are totally incompetent at fighting them.

I still have a little trouble with them but my pawn is a sorcerer and fulmination takes care of them really easily.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So what level do I need to be to meaningfully participate in fighting the ur-dragon? Here I am in the mid 90s with 1750ish attack on my magick bow, with a holy enchant from a healbot, and it doesn't even look like I'm tickling him. I know about the hearts, but even after 10 minutes when he flies off I don't think any of them were even red.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Online is a hot mess where the Ur-Dragon has an absurd amount of HP and damage is pooled between everyone fighting it. If you're lucky you will knock out a heart, but it's really not worth fighting until it goes into its near-death mode when players have a shot of actually killing it.

Offline you should be fine, though. I think I took it down at around 76 the first time, and at around 85 I was able to kill it in under 20 minutes easily.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Thundarr posted:

So what level do I need to be to meaningfully participate in fighting the ur-dragon? Here I am in the mid 90s with 1750ish attack on my magick bow, with a holy enchant from a healbot, and it doesn't even look like I'm tickling him. I know about the hearts, but even after 10 minutes when he flies off I don't think any of them were even red.

Don't expect to do anything meaningful against the online version. If you're talking the offline one then Magic Archer isn't the best to go at it with and most would recommend playing Assassin and using power-up items and such along with Hundred Kisses or Gouge. Mystic Knight is probably better for you considering your stats. Get Holy Enchantment from a pawn and double-cast Magic Cannon on the hill. Go to town :getin:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well I was looking for an excuse to start ranking up Mystic Knight. :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I kind of feel directionless in this game. Not that I have no directions to go, but in every direction is a brick wall.

This game is really bad about checkpointing and multiple times I've been sent back a half hour because the game feels like it never saves.

About about level 13. I did as many side quests as I could in the starter town/encampment area, but I feel like I need to travel crazy loving distances to do anything now and then as soon as I get there, I get two shot by a bandit.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

You should be heading for the main city. There isn't anything that you can get locked out of until the quest to meet the duke and if you're doing bulletin board quests you're drinking from an essentially infinite well, they're somewhat randomly generated (there are a ton of set ones that it pulls from) and doing too many will just overlevel you with no real benefit.

The game isn't great about checkpointing (it does it whenever you rest or enter the rift), but you can save at any time out of combat, so it's worth it to do that every now and then.

E: If the game straight up doesn't have a main quest for you to do, rest in the encampment by talking to mercedes, it triggers the next quest.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I kind of feel directionless in this game. Not that I have no directions to go, but in every direction is a brick wall.

This game is really bad about checkpointing and multiple times I've been sent back a half hour because the game feels like it never saves.

About about level 13. I did as many side quests as I could in the starter town/encampment area, but I feel like I need to travel crazy loving distances to do anything now and then as soon as I get there, I get two shot by a bandit.

Bandits, particularly the sword and board ones, are pretty rough. You're probably best off just running past them for awhile.

You can manually save, by the way. It's generally a good idea to do before you get into a fight you're unsure about.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Captain Novolin posted:

E: If the game straight up doesn't have a main quest for you to do, rest in the encampment by talking to mercedes, it triggers the next quest.

I did the quest where I took the hydra head to the city and then some pawn guy told me to go to the Eversomething.

I was trying to do side quests and then they all lead me to this area near the encampment filled with about 50 sword and board bandits. I just feel like overall I have very little idea where I should/shouldn't be going because all my sidequests lead me to places I get my rear end kicked.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I did the quest where I took the hydra head to the city and then some pawn guy told me to go to the Eversomething.

I was trying to do side quests and then they all lead me to this area near the encampment filled with about 50 sword and board bandits. I just feel like overall I have very little idea where I should/shouldn't be going because all my sidequests lead me to places I get my rear end kicked.

The one that asks you to go into the forest near there is pretty easy to get to, you just need to run like hell past the bandits, and everything else can be put off for a little while until you do that stuff for the pawn. Worst case scenario is you miss them on your first run, but catch them on NG+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Finally beat the Daimon redux. Now I'm putting this game away because like hell I am loot-grinding just to grind loot, that nonsense is for Monster Hunter fans.

Dark Arisen was a great addition, despite the copy/pasted architecture. It's too bad the vanilla game only picks up right at the end.

• Locked thread