Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Bitching about bugs in an indie alpha game's patches is always amusing if you remember when full games from theoretically professional companies could issue patches that wiped your boot.ini and rendered your computer unbootable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Why Koalas?

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

WarpedNaba posted:

Why Koalas?

Adjective-Animal is more interesting than "0.2.7", I doubt koala was chosen for any specific reason.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

WarpedNaba posted:

Why Koalas?
I kind of like koalas. I hear they will brutally attack you at the drop of a hat though so - points for that. Maybe that's the reason. Cute, cuddly and then suddenly :unsmigghh:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dropbears are your friend and they want to give your head a hug. Set them to be the next animal in the next version.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Dropbears are your friend and they want to give your head a hug. Set them to be the next animal in the next version.

Nice try mate, but I smeared Marmite behind my ears this morning.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone else patiently waiting at this early hour?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
If you go to sleep the patch will get here faster.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Talorat posted:

If you go to sleep the patch will get here faster.

Hard to sleep after just waking up from all night.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

WarpedNaba posted:

Nice try mate, but I smeared Marmite behind my ears this morning.
Yeah that won't work, it has to be Vegemite.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Well gently caress me I think it's gone live.

Changelog:

quote:

Changelog for v. Furious Koala 26/01/2013

Hey there Stargazers and Sports Racers,

It’s been quite some time since the last patch, and we have some very large changes dropping this release.

Code Changes:

Absolutely massive changes to disk serialization (sorry reversers), which will allow us to never need to wipe players or ships again, and hopefully never need to wipe worlds again.

Related, we now have a proper versioning system for save files.

Added difficulty levels and permadeath characters to the game.

Packed assets into databases (speeds up startup significantly), and included asset packing and unpacking utilities with the distribution. This should also allow for easier distribution of mods, and easier construction and management of slimmed down distributions for dedicated servers (official server paks coming soon.)

Fix some graphical glitches with the wire nodes.

Fixed some pretty nasty deadlocking bugs with networking.

Fixed some very strange memory leak bugs stemming from a gcc lambda capture bug.

Fixed various crash bugs related to a number of different issues (thanks for the bug reports, keep em coming.)

Speed up improvements with falling sand and other projectiles.

More efficient databases storage layout.

Documentation for lua functions have been written, and we’re going to release them soonish.

Removed NaN floats from the code for performance reasons (reenabled -ffinite-math-only), we had been using them to signal that the float is disabled or in an invalid state, but we have a system for that now.

Some internal changes that make maintaining code much happier for us, including better enum to string handling and much faster compiles.

Other minor things, too numerous to list here.

Fun Changes:

It’s no longer the holiday, so we’ve removed the holiday stuff for now, we’ll put them back when we have a better way of enabling it for holiday time.

PVP is now forced enabled within Sector X. If you’re in a party there’s no team damage though.

All player drops are persistent now. So if you accidentally throw your diamond drill down a mineshaft, you don’t have to suicide trying to get it back before it disappears.

New Monster attacks (gravity slam! gust attacks! other stuff!)

Fixed Legendary Weapons damage (adjusted up to be more… well… Legendary.)

We’ve put in new Techs (such as a Glitch Mech).

New biome type enabled. Savannah.

Boss Lore!

No more eating bandages and stims, they have their own thing now.

Better, more featureful abc file support, and we have Wanderlust music in the game now. (Thanks Leth and D2!)

Made NPC chatter more configurable and slightly more varied.

Added new objects (such as lava biome treasure chests).

Added new items (like nightsticks and bonesaws).

Sword swooshes are only active for 0.6 seconds instead of 0.9 seconds. Making cooldown times actually matter without slowing down combat. Also fine tuned their hitboxes.

Viking helmet? Viking helmet.

Watch out for landmines.

Various changes to treasure drop pools (like avianguards actually dropping their guns…)

Minor tweaks to existing armors to make them look better.

Medieval Furnace now actually acts like a Furnace. (Rejoice).

Graphical upgrades to some existing plants, and new plants.

Other stuff!

We look forward to hearing what you think about the patch. This was a very big one this time around

Glitch mech! Viking helmets!

Edit 2, Electric boogaloo: Looks like I've still got my ship/home planet &c. Still going to start afresh though. Some men just want to watch the randomly generated world burn.

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 26, 2014

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

aww yeah, time to play

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gently caress yeah.

Decayer
Jul 25, 2007
Purveyor of fine tarts
Remember to restart Steam if the game (not the launcher) is still the old version.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Decayer posted:

Remember to restart Steam if the game (not the launcher) is still the old version.

Thaaaaat's the trick. I'm a tit. So long, Waterbert, we hardly knew ye.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Yup, patch just dropped for me!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

But mom I don't want to make a fixpatch today :cry:

(Included: a subtle joke about "mod permissions")

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

quote:

Various changes to treasure drop pools (like avianguards actually dropping their guns…)
gently caress YES YOU ARE THE BEST UPDATE EVER

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm at work for 4 more hours oh god I want to play.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

But mom I don't want to make a fixpatch today :cry:

(Included: a subtle joke about "mod permissions")

Welp time to go fix my mods. I feel bad for Desideratus and his million mods, but that's more because I bet the patch broke SOMETHING.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
Looking forward to the updated ship building mod! Anyone updating their server anytime soon this morning?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Guns actually dropping is the best part of the patch so far. Just pulled a pulse rifle with rof 17 and it wrecks poo poo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Guns actually dropping is the best part of the patch so far. Just pulled a pulse rifle with rof 17 and it wrecks poo poo.
Are you saying we might NOT have to fight the UFO with iron swords and bow now? :monocle:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Other than the major fundamental coding changes that will smooth out future updates, there isn't a whole lot in this patch that changes things gameplay-wise, right?

CubeGuy
Jul 19, 2005
You ended your sentence with a preposistion. Bastard.

Decayer posted:

I feel like this should be emphasized, I was debating starting over or not when it's still not up to me anyway.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zenzirouj posted:

Other than the major fundamental coding changes that will smooth out future updates, there isn't a whole lot in this patch that changes things gameplay-wise, right?

Boss lore looks like the only thing that's more than a minor QOL improvement, though I haven't seen any new techs yet.

Blocks now have race-specific dialogue, so florans no longer become remarkably erudite when examining avian bricks, etc.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I wonder if holiday stuff might work better as a mini-biome or something. Stands to reason that in a universe as densely populated and geologically interesting as Starbound's there's a winter laser light show festival thing happening somewhere at any given time. (Disregard if the patch notes for 'holiday time' are an in-game thing, not a real-world thing. Also remember that Santa's Village and similar places had some traction in this world.)

BRB pouring one out for Iron Sigh and Broeen.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 26, 2014

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
Eeesh the whole file structure has changed...I feel lost without my modded matter manipulator.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

AH yisss, cannot wait to play - just got into it and right as my tick was settling in I couldn't play cause the wipe and wasted hours. RIP that flame sword I got right as I landed. :3:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fantastic. The game is now so choppy and laggy it's completely unplayable. Before it ran smoothly (until combat started, then it would get laggy a bit when something aggroed) but now it's stuttering so much that it's impossible to do anything, let alone fight or build.

Whatever they changed internally totally broke the game for me. What a great update.

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

eviljimmy posted:

Eeesh the whole file structure has changed...I feel lost without my modded matter manipulator.

I had to check Chucklefish's forums to learn what happened and how to proceed. Seems that the assets are now packed and you have to unpack them if you want to mod anything.
Using default file locations, open a command prompt and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32 then execute:
asset_unpacker.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" assets

Note that it takes a while to unpack, and your command window will look like it's frozen. Took my system more than 3 minutes to do it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beaten! ^^

People are saying that the game is much more strict about data types in this version, so if you data conversion errors, check for issues like having "1" (with quotes) in your json files instead of 1, etc.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it

Ebenezer posted:

I had to check Chucklefish's forums to learn what happened and how to proceed. Seems that the assets are now packed and you have to unpack them if you want to mod anything.
Using default file locations, open a command prompt and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32 then execute:
asset_unpacker.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" assets

Note that it takes a while to unpack, and your command window will look like it's frozen. Took my system more than 3 minutes to do it.

yeah I saw the .pak files. This is like being back in the mid 90s again.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

eviljimmy posted:

yeah I saw the .pak files. This is like being back in the mid 90s again.

To be fair, most games use data files like this. CryEngine, for example, uses .pak files.

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

Edit: I figured out the next step for modifying assets that the game is loading.

If you're using the unpacked assets, open your appropriate bootstrap.config (I'm using the Windows client, so mine was under /win32) and then comment out the assets/packed.pak line, adding a line that points to your unpacked assets like so: "../win32/assets",

Ebenezer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 26, 2014

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005
starbound.420yoloswag.com has been updated and is back up for recolonization. Apparently tiy sent out a tweet that there's a hotfix coming soon, but I'll be here all day keeping an eye on things and updating/changing things as needed.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Bitching about bugs in an indie alpha game's patches is always amusing if you remember when full games from theoretically professional companies could issue patches that wiped your boot.ini and rendered your computer unbootable

:ccp:

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Good to see it go live. Remember - if any big bugs made it through internal testing, it's mostly Eonwes fault.

It -was- mostly hue "behind the curtain" type changes from what I've seen, really. Not that much content added. The new monster attacks are pretty interesting though. Servers pushing their own mod .paks is going to be real neat as well.

My full impervium beta-beta test character made it through though, anyone want to tango in sector x :getin:.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ebenezer posted:

Edit: I figured out the next step for modifying assets that the game is loading.

If you're using the unpacked assets, open your appropriate bootstrap.config (I'm using the Windows client, so mine was under /win32) and then comment out the assets/packed.pak line, adding a line that points to your unpacked assets like so: "../win32/assets",

You shouldn't need to do this, if you just override the file in your mod directory it will do the same, but without completely switching what assets the entire game uses and potentially breaking future updates or getting reverted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Anyone else having a CTD when using a spear?

• Locked thread