Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nobody really mentioned this, but that looks really good for a just snap it build. I can't even see any nub or stress marks, or even any sanding scratches. Hell, it looks better than mine do after being sanded down and topcoated. Nice work.

I myself just got my first ever 1/144 kit, and Jesus Christ, let me never again say anything about MGs being difficult, because I am apparently just way too drat hamhanded for 1/144 scale kits. Through the whole build, every little nubbin felt like it was seconds away from flying off into the void where dropped parts go.

I think it came out well enough, though. I think I'll stick to my wallet-draining MGs for now though.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

Geara Doga has a master grade, it's large, in charge, and supposed to be quite good. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do with mine when I build it.

Thank you both, please keep me updated on your builds.

edit: any idea if and when there may be a Master grade of something from the Zulu family?

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 26, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

Nobody really mentioned this, but that looks really good for a just snap it build. I can't even see any nub or stress marks, or even any sanding scratches. Hell, it looks better than mine do after being sanded down and topcoated. Nice work.

I myself just got my first ever 1/144 kit, and Jesus Christ, let me never again say anything about MGs being difficult, because I am apparently just way too drat hamhanded for 1/144 scale kits. Through the whole build, every little nubbin felt like it was seconds away from flying off into the void where dropped parts go.

I think it came out well enough, though. I think I'll stick to my wallet-draining MGs for now though.

The thing of it is, there are a lot of cool subjects that are only available in HG even if you go resin or weird bootleg.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Herr Tog posted:

edit: any idea if and when there may be a Master grade of something from the Zulu family?

Here is the thing with Master Grades: if there is a way for Bandai to recycle a previous kit, they will almost certainly do it. There isn't a Zulu yet, but there will be, just like there will be a MG Jesta Cannon. And once again, if you want to check if there is a MG of something there's dalong and the Gundam wiki's MG page.

As a note to everyone, HLJ has some of Hobby Base's fully-articulated hands in. Nowadays their 1/100 version is kind of pointless for MG kits since the Emotion Manipulators are a thing, but on the 1/144 scale they're like your only choice. They tend to only pop up in small batches too, so now or quite a while later.

If you're curious as to the size of the hands, here's a comparison picture.

EDIT: Speaking of the emotion manipulators, gently caress denubbing them. So hard.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 26, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Yes. For future reference on "does this have a kit", consult dalong or the Gundam wiki's Master Grade/High Grade pages.

EDIT: Beaten like Zeon in CCA.

You know, I get that it is a cool way to store and launch rockets... But is it really a good idea to keep high explosives on the thing you use to absorb shots?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caros posted:

You know, I get that it is a cool way to store and launch rockets... But is it really a good idea to keep high explosives on the thing you use to absorb shots?

If something gets through the shield you are at regardless of the explosives. Might as well pick a cool spot
Its probably the safest spot for it. Places on the exposed body are worse and any room inside could be filled with something more important like fuel.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 26, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unless you happen to be on a Gundam where the shield is the weak point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

How can a shield be a weak point?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
There's a scene in CCA where a GD's shield gets chewed up like popcorn by a friggin' head vulcan, so I'm pretty sure it's just for show anyway.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

if they know they are facing a gundam, just dont put any armor on. Their bullshit lasers will one-shot you anyways.

My copy of the latest Gundam Vs is arriving any day now. Any fans in the room? My only exposure is mashing at a tokyo arcade and getting my poo poo handed to me by a teen in a zaku. I was in the Akatsuki, the lasers should have bounced :downs:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Gundamguy's got some new pictures of the Exia Darkmatter and Miss Sazabi.

Exia Dark Matter

Miss Sazabi

There's also the various Build Fighters Mastergrades up as well. Apparently there's also going to be a Dark Matter Booster, which I guess will probably have the big-rear end wings and hip-mounted swords.

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gundamguy's got some new pictures of the Exia Darkmatter and Miss Sazabi.

Exia Dark Matter

Miss Sazabi

There's also the various Build Fighters Mastergrades up as well. Apparently there's also going to be a Dark Matter Booster, which I guess will probably have the big-rear end wings and hip-mounted swords.

Gatdamnit- i'm always good at these things but for my life I can't guess what the Miss Sazabi's legs are from. Is it a Vagan design?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How can a shield be a weak point?

Someone hasn't seen 0083 recently.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

UncleRadnor posted:

Gatdamnit- i'm always good at these things but for my life I can't guess what the Miss Sazabi's legs are from. Is it a Vagan design?

I had a poke through the Gundam Wiki because I was curious too, and I think they might be based on the Nobel Gundam's.

Sakurazuka posted:

Someone hasn't seen 0083 recently.

Or ever :v:. I'll get to the classic Gundam anime eventually, I swear :ohdear:.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

As a note to everyone, HLJ has some of Hobby Base's fully-articulated hands in. Nowadays their 1/100 version is kind of pointless for MG kits since the Emotion Manipulators are a thing, but on the 1/144 scale they're like your only choice. They tend to only pop up in small batches too, so now or quite a while later.

If you're curious as to the size of the hands, here's a comparison picture.

EDIT: Speaking of the emotion manipulators, gently caress denubbing them. So hard.

Grabbed a bunch for me and friends; thanks for posting the link!

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Or ever :v:. I'll get to the classic Gundam anime eventually, I swear :ohdear:.

0083 is twelve episodes and pretty awesome. You can knock it out in a weekend.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, 0083 has some cool designs and fights but it's also full of a lot of dumb stuff, like the GP02's weak point being on its shield because it's actually a coolant filled blast shield so it can survive a nuclear explosion and not a proper shield. :psyduck:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, 0083 has some cool designs and fights but it's also full of a lot of dumb stuff, like the GP02's weak point being on its shield because it's actually a coolant filled blast shield so it can survive a nuclear explosion and not a proper shield. :psyduck:

Also Nina Purpleton.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Midjack posted:

Also Nina Purpleton.

I can't watch it again because Nina just enrages me on a special level. The designs are so great, and Gato's outstanding but every time she's on screen I just want to hurt something.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So was the Composite verKa Exbein a piece of crap or something? It's like $80 less than all of the other ones on eBay.

If you ever wanted one, here's a pretty good deal.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

BlitzBlast posted:

Acrylics take a week at minimum to cure. If somebody told you 24 hours, they were probably thinking of lacquers.

That's what I thought, they take very little time to be touch dry but a long time to cure.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

BlitzBlast posted:

So was the Composite verKa Exbein a piece of crap or something? It's like $80 less than all of the other ones on eBay.

If you ever wanted one, here's a pretty good deal.
It is pretty crappy. A bit small, loose joints, fragile, and kind of a mess of a design.
I got one new for about $20 about 3 or so years after it came out and it still had the first run bonus dvd included.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

S-Alpha posted:

Thanks for the kind words! I just finished panel lining today (which took forever) and here's how it came out:

Before:

After:

Honestly, I'm not too happy with the way it came out, it may grow on me though. Hopefully it doesn't look TOO bad..

By the way, what kind of pens/markers do people tend to use? I used a 005 Micron pen and honestly it was a pain. It kept smudging and after a day it still wasn't dry. I might try a Gundam marker next time, or a mechanical pencil.

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 27, 2014

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

unpurposed posted:

Thanks for the kind words! I just finished panel lining today (which took forever) and here's how it came out:

By the way, what kind of pens/markers do people tend to use? I used a 005 Micron pen and honestly it was a pain. It kept smudging and after a day it still wasn't dry. I might try a Gundam marker next time, or a mechanical pencil.

Panel lining takes some time to get down so don't get too discouraged. If you really want bust a couple of bucks into a fine line gundam pen and go to town. Q-tips are your friend for clean up.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I gave up Microns a long time ago. The ink's too glossy and full black on every line just isn't a good look.

For something as simple as that Wing I'd probably use Gundam Markers - black for deep recesses only, grey for everything else. Another advantage is that GM ink can be blended (on bare plastic anyway) with a finger, cloth, or cotton swab, which can tone down the lines even more and also produce some quick-n-dirty but nice shading effects.

They also clean up much faster than Microns, though a cloth lightly wetted in alcohol would probably take care of your smudging problem there.

edit: VVV GM ink sticks pretty tight once it's dry in my experience, but I always wash the parts before I panel line to improve adhesion and save wear on the pen.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 27, 2014

tgv
Oct 16, 2008

gundam markers will still probably smudge, if you really want to protect your panel lining you're better off just getting a can of topcoat and just seal it all up

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The thing with microns, and what seems to be an issue with your Wing there, is that you need to be exceedingly gentle with them, especially with 005s. Once the tip 'bends' and becomes more like a brush than a needletip, your marker is effectively useless for non-wash lining. That's why you get those really thick, yet kinda faded lines. You want to be precise, but not put excess pressure on the tip.That's why I generally prefer 01s for most of my lining, and save the 005s for really small detail lines. They aren't nearly as sensitive.

Also, are there any sites that still have operating parts replacement services? I was taking apart my Sinanju getting ready to put those metal decals on it, and the pipe around the waist popped off and flew into the ether.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

Also, are there any sites that still have operating parts replacement services? I was taking apart my Sinanju getting ready to put those metal decals on it, and the pipe around the waist popped off and flew into the ether.

Gentei and Tatsu will be restarting soon.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I recently started building the real grade gp-01 FB and I forgot how annoying RG's can be.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
A little late to the panel lining talk, but oil paint, like you'd get at an art store, using turpentine odorless mineral spirits (or apparently lighter fluid) for the wash works great over acrylic. I'm not sure if it works over enamel or lacquer or how turpentine works with those. It imparts a grimy look, which maybe or may not be your thing, but I think it looks better when going for a "used" look.

Edit: whoops I meant odorless mineral spirits, not turpentine, don't use that.

Faltion fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 27, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah, oil washes are definitely a thing and used pretty widely in scale modeling, mostly for weathering/shading effects. Most modelers favor mineral spirits or odorless thinner over turpentine as a carrier agent, though (less toxic for one thing.)

I'm not sure how turps reacts to lacquers but it will eat enamels for lunch and is not very plastic-friendly. Best avoided altogether, IMO.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got the sakura markers recommended earlier here. Compared to gundam markers i can see no real difference. Black is black and i can easily wipe away excess with a finger. Maybe i have a magic skin oil balance, but i have never experienced any issues with smearing.

Asking again, anyone play the Gundam Vs games? Mine is coming in the mail any day now and I am terrible. Looking for someone to play with online. Local is okay too I guess BYOBeer and no gay stuff.

coolio thanks, broken link though, take out the "v" in front
vvvvv

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 27, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There's a Gundam VS thread in Games. I'm getting the game soon too, though I don't think I'll be doing much online.

EDIT: Aaaaaah the curse of copy pasting.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 27, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

This sure is a box art. :stare:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
That's a pretty kickass boxart. I like how the psychoframe is blue, but all the gold makes it look green in the pictures we've seen.

The pictures up on gundamguy are triggering the 'ooh shiny' response in the reptillian part of my brain :catdrugs:

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 27, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
All I can see when I look at that is

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

Why couldn't the Gundam X have gotten such a striking illustration? That almost makes me want this one.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zedd posted:

Unnnnnf, God, that's pretty. I want a poster of that art for my gunpla room's wall.

As for the kit, I'm surprised they included decals, I'd think applying them would just smudge the very shiny finish. Hell, I'm probably gonna do the assembly with bloody rubber gloves on because I don't want to dull that beautiful finish with fingerprints. I think that kit is making me regress back to early childhood/goldfish states.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

When they're not doing the ver Ka "just stand there", Unicorn suits have ridiculously awesome boxart.

Still hoping for a FA Unicorn vOVA just because I'd like to see the art for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
If you haven't seen it yet, today's episode of Build Fighters seems tailored specifically to this thread (as is the entire show, really).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQyY1yfC8p4

• Locked thread