Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Finished off the glove for my scarecrow today. Only thing is I have to hold my hand/arm in a specific position or the lights cut out. I know there is a short somewhere on the main power line but I've not been able to find it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Oh man, I have been asked to consider taking my first cosplay commission. A friend of mine is going to a con in March, and wants to go as Wonder Woman, from the classic TV series, and needs help making the bustier.

This one:

Not only am I nervous because I have literally never done a corset/bustier before, but I also haven't done applique before and that's got some pretty intimidating applique. She has an existing corset that has the right neckline and fits her well, and I'm planning on making my pattern from that. Any advice from y'all, or good links? I'm not sure if I should attach the strength layer pieces to the inner lining pieces and treat them as one when sewing them together. I'm also not sure on how I should attach the boning channels.

Most of the corsetry stuff I've found online has been focused on historical and/or waist training corsets.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

taiyoko posted:

Not only am I nervous because I have literally never done a corset/bustier before, but I also haven't done applique before and that's got some pretty intimidating applique. She has an existing corset that has the right neckline and fits her well, and I'm planning on making my pattern from that. Any advice from y'all, or good links? I'm not sure if I should attach the strength layer pieces to the inner lining pieces and treat them as one when sewing them together. I'm also not sure on how I should attach the boning channels.

Most of the corsetry stuff I've found online has been focused on historical and/or waist training corsets.

I can't help with the appliqué part, but I picked the brain of a friend who makes and sells custom corsets when I made my Poison Ivy corset. Because I was using velvet as the outer layer and wanted it to be as smooth as possible she suggested doing 2 layers of coutil (she said canvas would be ok since I was using 2 and the velvet was so expensive... I got a little cheap.) as my strength layers and I put my channels in them. Then I stitched those layers to my lining which was then top stitched to my velvet layer.

I thoroughly recommend spiral steel boning. I've worn so many cheap polyester boned corsets and while the spiral steel is heavier... I spent 12 hours in that corset and would have gladly spent another 12. It was really comfortable.

Good luck!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Killer_Frost posted:

I can't help with the appliqué part, but I picked the brain of a friend who makes and sells custom corsets when I made my Poison Ivy corset. Because I was using velvet as the outer layer and wanted it to be as smooth as possible she suggested doing 2 layers of coutil (she said canvas would be ok since I was using 2 and the velvet was so expensive... I got a little cheap.) as my strength layers and I put my channels in them. Then I stitched those layers to my lining which was then top stitched to my velvet layer.

I thoroughly recommend spiral steel boning. I've worn so many cheap polyester boned corsets and while the spiral steel is heavier... I spent 12 hours in that corset and would have gladly spent another 12. It was really comfortable.

Good luck!

Did you use a separate casing stitched to the strength layers, or just stitched them together to form the channels?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
If a friend of mine scratch-made an Assassin's Creed outfit would I be allowed to share it here? She made it all herself, and it's really cool and impressive.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

taiyoko posted:

Did you use a separate casing stitched to the strength layers, or just stitched them together to form the channels?

I used the strength layers to form the channels. Because the bones were going to be 2 layers of fabric from my skin and the outside my friend said I didn't have to get special casing to hold them.

I might have one I was working on at the same time in pieces still. I can check my bins if some pictures would help.

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

If a friend of mine scratch-made an Assassin's Creed outfit would I be allowed to share it here? She made it all herself, and it's really cool and impressive.

I would say post it here, or potentially in the cosplay thread in PYF.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Who are some good prop builders to follow for ideas and such? I follow theRPF which can be hit or miss and volpin but need more inspiration.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Super 3 posted:

Who are some good prop builders to follow for ideas and such? I follow theRPF which can be hit or miss and volpin but need more inspiration.

I mostly use Facebook for that kind of thing, I'm a big fan of Blind Squirrel, Punished Props, Evil FX, Propped Up Creations, and the Mad Masker.

If you like armor builds too I also like Kamui Cosplay, Lightning Cosplay, Enayla Cosplay, and Envoysoldier Cosplay.

Don't wanna double post so I'm editing this in:

I should be done by Thursday night, ideally. Have to add one more support strap to hold up the shoulders, put the straps and buckles on the hip plates, and finish painting the helmet/skull. So close.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 21, 2014

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Does anyone have any wig company suggestions that aren't Arda? They stopped selling the little afro-puff clips and I am in need of some for a costume.

Thanks!

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

Funhilde posted:

Does anyone have any wig company suggestions that aren't Arda? They stopped selling the little afro-puff clips and I am in need of some for a costume.

Thanks!

Epic Cosplay, or, if you don't need fast turnaround, I like the following sellers:
http://stores.ebay.com/wigfashion/
http://www.ebay.com/usr/sandylou2012

Don't know if they have exactly what you're looking for though. I go with ebay unless I need it fast, then Epic. Arda's too loving big for my head and I like more of a skin top than they usually carry.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I like http://www.ikickshins.net/ for that kind of thing. I bought a huge pile of braiding hair from them for my White Witch (still unfinished, but the wig looks fantastic).

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

So the white stripes in the Kamen Rider Ichigo outfit don't really match up to anything on market anymore. Any tips for something a bit more robust/better looking than trying to glue on white vinyl stripes? I'm pretty hard pressed as I don't do any sewing myself, so I'm unsure if just sewing a white strap will suffice.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
What's the best way to attach worbla to fabric?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

May Contain Nuts posted:

What's the best way to attach worbla to fabric?

It depends on what you're trying to do specifically, I'd say, what's the end goal here?

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
Here's my progress on my Diablo II Necromancer (sorry for the lovely cellphone pic):

McPantserton, I have to make a skull pauldron as well. What did you make yours out of? I was thinking about carving insulation or expanding foam then coating it with Paperclay.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Blackfish posted:

Here's my progress on my Diablo II Necromancer (sorry for the lovely cellphone pic):

McPantserton, I have to make a skull pauldron as well. What did you make yours out of? I was thinking about carving insulation or expanding foam then coating it with Paperclay.

Woo, skull pauldrons! Mine began life as a salad bowl. :shobon: I elongated it with cardboard and duct tape for the teeth area, built up the basic shape with paper clay, then covered it in apoxie sculpt to smooth the surface and refine the details. I made the teeth out of worbla so they wouldn't be brittle, apoxie sculpted
a gum area over them, and sanded the poo poo out of the whole thing.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Got to work on some of the actual outfit today and finally got around to installing the lights in the eye.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Few technical tweaks left to do but I'm basically done.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

McPantserton posted:

Ahhhh! This looks loving awesome! Where are you wearing it?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

McPantserton posted:

You got ridiculous talent and an eye for detail.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Ahhhh! This looks loving awesome! Where are you wearing it?

Yayyy thanks! :woop: First Anime Milwaukee, then Anime Central, then hopefully GenCon if I have time/space! In between, probably around the house, maybe to work, out to a bar? Who knows, anything could happen.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Work on a bass guitar to go with the Vespa has begun in earnest. Huge thanks to Korovyev for the modeling tips, hopefully I can have this printed and in-hand before the end of February.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 26, 2014

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That looks good, but the only detail that's sticking out at me is the transition from the spool to the channel where the handle would sit. The channel doesn't have an edge to it, it's smoothed out. the OP of this thread has a picture that shows what I mean. The rest of the detail looks good.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
It's been a while since I posted here. I'm almost through with the molding process on my Civil Protection helmet. Fingers crossed nothing went horribly wrong with the silicone on the inside.

Rubber Slug fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 1, 2014

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Okay, walk me through glue.

I have a insulation foam guitar I'm building with a couple of layers of paint and (soon to be) a couple of layers of modpodge sealant. I would like to glue metal to the actual guitar to install strap buttons, craft foam on the guitar for a pick guard, and plastic tone knobs on top of the craft foam. What the hell glue do I use?

ThistoThat.com isn't being that helpful. It says to use JB Weld for the metal, which I can find on Amazon, but it says I need LePage's regular epoxy for the plastic, and that stuff is a bitch to find. I have gorilla glue, will that work, or will that expand and be a disaster? Also, what would you use to glue the craft foam?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I decided to start a blog for my current costume

http://strangercostume.blogspot.co.uk/

It's not much to look at yet, but I'll be adding a lot to it over the coming weeks as I continue to make progress on the costume, which I'm attempting to document as exhaustively as possible with shitloads of pictures

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Starting a project I'm not sure I'll be able to finish :v:

Printing the pieces from this model on Thingiverse. I'm not remotely sure how I'm going to end up doing the visor, as the uploader assumes you have access to either a laser cutter or a CNC mill :v:

This is my first large-scale 3D printed piece, I hope it doesn't end up being too small for my head. Not sure whether I want to do the leather jacket version or what. There's a couple of jackets (pre-made with "daft punk" on the back) on eBay for $100, but I'm wondering if there's somewhere else I can get just the jacket for cheaper.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 4, 2014

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Bean posted:

Okay, walk me through glue.

I have a insulation foam guitar I'm building with a couple of layers of paint and (soon to be) a couple of layers of modpodge sealant. I would like to glue metal to the actual guitar to install strap buttons, craft foam on the guitar for a pick guard, and plastic tone knobs on top of the craft foam. What the hell glue do I use?

ThistoThat.com isn't being that helpful. It says to use JB Weld for the metal, which I can find on Amazon, but it says I need LePage's regular epoxy for the plastic, and that stuff is a bitch to find. I have gorilla glue, will that work, or will that expand and be a disaster? Also, what would you use to glue the craft foam?

Not sure if it'll work on insulation foam, but I've always said if you need anything glued to anything else, try E-6000. A small tube doesn't cost much and you can always experiment on scrap pieces.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Kazy posted:

Starting a project I'm not sure I'll be able to finish :v:

Printing the pieces from this model on Thingiverse. I'm not remotely sure how I'm going to end up doing the visor, as the uploader assumes you have access to either a laser cutter or a CNC mill :v:

This is my first large-scale 3D printed piece, I hope it doesn't end up being too small for my head. Not sure whether I want to do the leather jacket version or what. There's a couple of jackets (pre-made with "daft punk" on the back) on eBay for $100, but I'm wondering if there's somewhere else I can get just the jacket for cheaper.

How expensive are 3D printers if you want to print up pieces that can be assembled into a helmet? Just looking at what it takes to make a reasonable helmet that doesn't weigh a ton requires a it more work space than I have.

I wish I had a studio where I could pour and vacuum form. :(

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008

McPantserton posted:

Gotta say, running into you and seeing your cosplays on here and in real life is what inspired me to start cosplaying. Thank you.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

gamera009 posted:

How expensive are 3D printers if you want to print up pieces that can be assembled into a helmet? Just looking at what it takes to make a reasonable helmet that doesn't weigh a ton requires a it more work space than I have.

I wish I had a studio where I could pour and vacuum form. :(

The one I have is a clone of the original Replicator, the Flashforge Creator, which is around $1200. It's around $30 for 2lbs of plastic filament. It's also kind of slow, right now I'm around ~24 hours and I'm 3/4 done so far. This is probably going to use at least half a spool of plastic.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Kazy posted:

The one I have is a clone of the original Replicator, the Flashforge Creator, which is around $1200. It's around $30 for 2lbs of plastic filament. It's also kind of slow, right now I'm around ~24 hours and I'm 3/4 done so far. This is probably going to use at least half a spool of plastic.

Presumably it'll also take a heck of a lot of work to get a completely smooth surface, all the low-middle end consumer grade plastic printers I've seen end up making fairly grainy prints, obviously it's a technology still in it's infancy especially at the cheaper end, but for anyone interested you're not going to be getting perfect smooth prints out of these things unless there's been a huge leap forward at the lower pricepoints. Also, according to the 3D printer enthusiast thread in this subforum, 3D printing is a hobby in itself and most lower cost printers need a good deal of tinkering and TLC to get them happy and keep them happy.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Yan Bao Qin posted:

Gotta say, running into you and seeing your cosplays on here and in real life is what inspired me to start cosplaying. Thank you.

Aww geez, no, thank YOU. That really means a lot to me. I had a bit of a rough time with a few weeks of insane, frantic work to finish my Khorne armor before I went on a vacation (getting back to the US from New Zealand and going to a convention 4 days later isn't a problem, right...?) and with one comment you've made me feel like it was worthwhile before I've actually gotten to properly wear it. :3: Which con did I meet you at?

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008
Dragon*Con, you were in your Sisters of Battle cosplay as part of an Inquisitorial retinue. I was (am) a short asian dude with a dark tan. Was the first time I'd seen cosplay of the fandom, which I am really into, and got me to start cosplaying as an Inquisitor. Gonna try to make some cross-cultural cosplays (an Inquisitor in traditional Korean dress); and also trying my hand at armor now, branch out into some of my other fan stuff.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Yan Bao Qin posted:

Dragon*Con, you were in your Sisters of Battle cosplay as part of an Inquisitorial retinue. I was (am) a short asian dude with a dark tan. Was the first time I'd seen cosplay of the fandom, which I am really into, and got me to start cosplaying as an Inquisitor. Gonna try to make some cross-cultural cosplays (an Inquisitor in traditional Korean dress); and also trying my hand at armor now, branch out into some of my other fan stuff.

I don't think it was me in person, sadly, I have tragically never been to Dragon*Con (although it's a major dream of mine). 40k (Warhammer in general, really) is my utter, absolute favorite property for cosplay though and now that Khorne fantasy armor is done I'm actually planning on rebuilding my SoB suit better, lighter, more durable, and more badass than last year. I am so excited, going to promote myself to canoness this year! Korean Inquisitor sounds completely and absurdly awesome, please post tons of process/finished pictures!

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Anyone have a suggestion on what to use for modifying my voice to match up with how scarecrow sounds in Arkham asylum? I've searched every app on Android and they are all only record your voice and not active speaking. I've found voice changers online but I'm wary about them in case they don't actually sound like I want.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

fallin1 posted:

Anyone have a suggestion on what to use for modifying my voice to match up with how scarecrow sounds in Arkham asylum? I've searched every app on Android and they are all only record your voice and not active speaking. I've found voice changers online but I'm wary about them in case they don't actually sound like I want.

Ransack child mask voicechanger toys?

v v Awesome!

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 11, 2014

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Ransack child mask voicechanger toys?

Found a cheap one at toys r us and it works like a charm. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU-kUF6vBsE

Mostly done with the helmet. Still haven't heard back from the local fabrication place about the visor. Not sure what I'm going to do about it. I don't suppose any of you have access to a CNC + a vacuum former? :v: