Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

MrTheDevious posted:

Haha poo poo I should've streamed back when I was badgering jetz0r for raid tips and all I got was "burn faster" :suicide:

If I knew when you guys were starting CotF stuff I'd watch a whole raid just to see what it looks like when you beat the content instead of wiping horribly

If you had any idea how many raid mechanics could be ignored or bypassed by a good burn...

Except more of the devs have built in anti-burn mechanics into their raids to prevent that strategy. Which leads to weird things like Zekish-Kar having a much lower death count on our alt-raids than it did with our main raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Gates is a really lovely example since from what I remember they were supposed to raise the cap to 70 and that didn't happen. So then you got hilariously overtuned content that wasn't so much fun as 'how best can we abuse game mechanics for this' ala pookas for trial flagging and 'how can I troll my raid into not doing this' ala the gas chamber in uqua.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I really blame the timing of Gates for being what killed a lot of EQ1 for most people I knew from the pre-pop era. It felt like almost all of the content was only really doable by 5-10% of the server population. And then WoW came out like 6 months later. Talk about bad timing. The inaccessibility outside of the bleeding edge crew combined with the "who gives a gently caress, where are these places and things? I can't pronounce half of the things in this expansion." probably made it one of the worst expansions in my eyes.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 26, 2014

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
I'm selling some Krono for $8 a piece if any of you goons want to get your hands on a few before I unload them to pubby savages.

Zombones fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 26, 2014

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Zombones posted:

I'm selling some Krono for $9 a piece if any of you goons want to get your hands on a few before I unload them to pubby savages.

$8 Apiece here if anyone wants to give me real cash for these godawful MMO items. I implore everyone reading this post to assume Node's right and people do still care about this game and spend money on it! If you give me cash money, you too can be cool like Node, just disregard the jetz0r goon who happens to be a real member of the guild Node leeches off of whose telling everyone this game is awful! I doubt he even plays this MMO. He's sure not Illa.

This game is not awful! This is the best game! Truly fun for generations to come. I can direct you to my Paypal for immediate payment in case you're stupid/smart enough to paypal me cash before Node gets it all! First person to PM me gets literally all of the money in this game period that has ever existed NO REFUNDS

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

Haha poo poo I should've streamed back when I was badgering jetz0r for raid tips and all I got was "burn faster" :suicide:

If I knew when you guys were starting CotF stuff I'd watch a whole raid just to see what it looks like when you beat the content instead of wiping horribly

Well we ended up winning WK raid by chain DAing the dragon and throwing melee with Fort/Deflection/Ripo discs at it. So even a family guild like mine might have this new content down within a week, which is hilarious.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

MrTheDevious posted:

$8 Apiece here if anyone wants to give me real cash for these godawful MMO items. I implore everyone reading this post to assume Node's right and people do still care about this game and spend money on it! If you give me cash money, you too can be cool like Node, just disregard the jetz0r goon who happens to be a real member of the guild Node leeches off of whose telling everyone this game is awful! I doubt he even plays this MMO. He's sure not Illa.

This game is not awful! This is the best game! Truly fun for generations to come. I can direct you to my Paypal for immediate payment in case you're stupid/smart enough to paypal me cash before Node gets it all! First person to PM me gets literally all of the money in this game period that has ever existed NO REFUNDS

I take exception to the leeching accusation today and so would their officers. A few months ago, you would have been right though, no doubt about it. Also this Illa person does phase into our dimension once in a while and curbstomps raid mobs before he materializes back into whatever plane of existence he came from, not to be seen again for an unknown amount of time.

also I am really tired so I'm probably missing the point you are making but all this talk about giving me fake or real money is giving me a boner. Semper Everquest, the Aryan Race of Game's.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Node posted:

I take exception to the leeching accusation today and so would their officers. A few months ago, you would have been right though, no doubt about it. Also this Illa person does phase into our dimension once in a while and curbstomps raid mobs before he materializes back into whatever plane of existence he came from, not to be seen again for an unknown amount of time.

[Wed Jan 22 10:10:53 2014] Qwestwic tells you, '/GU Commander Galenth in 150s, 219153k @1461020dps --- Illa 9478k @65818dps --- Qwestwic pets 9361k @64116dps comin for you bro!'

Look at that poo poo, topping the druid burn parse on the mob Poistiant was dragon tanking in a pit!

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
We just put the guildhall banner changes to good use, zerging the poo poo out of Zeixshi-Kar in Crystallos to get a first shot kill!

One of our paladins had something like 15 corpses at the end.

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006

jetz0r posted:

[Wed Jan 22 10:10:53 2014] Qwestwic tells you, '/GU Commander Galenth in 150s, 219153k @1461020dps --- Illa 9478k @65818dps --- Qwestwic pets 9361k @64116dps comin for you bro!'

Look at that poo poo, topping the druid burn parse on the mob Poistiant was dragon tanking in a pit!

A little above 2 minutes to kill him, how weak. We spread it out over like 25 minutes is how awesome we are.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Zombones posted:

I'm selling some Krono for $8 a piece if any of you goons want to get your hands on a few before I unload them to pubby savages.

MrTheDevious posted:

$8 Apiece here if anyone wants to give me real cash for these godawful MMO items.

I'll buy a ton, let me know how many you've got, playing on FV so really only looking for bulk. Also leave around what time you'll be on / time zone so I'm not just paypaling money to someone who disappears for days after.

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
I'm on right now if you want to hop on. In the goon channel.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Bought 15 from zombones, A++ would underpay again

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Midnight City posted:

I'll buy a ton, let me know how many you've got, playing on FV so really only looking for bulk. Also leave around what time you'll be on / time zone so I'm not just paypaling money to someone who disappears for days after.

I'll have to buy em for plat first, so gimme a couple days :v:

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
What's the going rate for kronos bought from players on FV now? I'm probably going to go back for a bit at some point, and if I can use my bazaar baron funds to buy a few months, that's always a perk.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Meow Tse-tung posted:

What's the going rate for kronos bought from players on FV now? I'm probably going to go back for a bit at some point, and if I can use my bazaar baron funds to buy a few months, that's always a perk.

The price has been spiking like crazy. In the Xegony baz, /buyers are at 410k, while /baz sellers are at 600k. Kronos being account wide has been letting people use them to transfer value off FV. Plus beaming being an insane source of plat has lead to a lot of inflation in Krono prices.

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

I'll have to buy em for plat first, so gimme a couple days :v:

Super cool how you jumped in to undercut me without even having product :)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I recently got back into EQ on my old server (E. Marr). I had a quick question about Tank Mercs: at level 22 for my rogue, what "settings" should I be using? My merc cannot seem to hold aggro for poo poo (I do realize that dual wielding a Horn of Hsegra/Crescent Blades of Luclin while wearing a Runed Bolster Belt may have something to do with this). In all seriousness even after Evading I rarely get the Mobs to turn away so that I can Backstab them. Does the tankee gal get better at holding aggro later, or should I just get a healbot like my 29 SK?

I just wanna skill up Backstab normally instead of paying for it with all my training points! Any help is appreciated!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I recently got back into EQ on my old server (E. Marr). I had a quick question about Tank Mercs: at level 22 for my rogue, what "settings" should I be using? My merc cannot seem to hold aggro for poo poo (I do realize that dual wielding a Horn of Hsegra/Crescent Blades of Luclin while wearing a Runed Bolster Belt may have something to do with this). In all seriousness even after Evading I rarely get the Mobs to turn away so that I can Backstab them. Does the tankee gal get better at holding aggro later, or should I just get a healbot like my 29 SK?

I just wanna skill up Backstab normally instead of paying for it with all my training points! Any help is appreciated!

Make sure you're using the highest tier of merc available to you (Journeyman 1 I think?)

Their damage starts ramping up pretty well. I think towards the mid-40s they should start out-damaging you. Early on, if you just aggro the mob and sit back for a little bit you can probably get a backstab or two off. Later on they will be outdamaging you pretty well, and keeping your aggro down should not be an issue.

Tank mercs are what you should be using for ALL classes for leveling early. Their regen is so insane that they don't need a healer until much later (like 50s or 60s?)

Devor fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 26, 2014

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

Tank mercs don't really start getting aggro tools till later on, just like players. Leaving them on aggressive will make them try to get aggro on everything, but the lower tier mercs have fewer stances. You're also drawing more aggro at that level than expected, so she will have a harder time holding aggro over you. Don't forget to play with melee range. A lot of the low level mobs and undead care more about proximity than hate, so try to be further away from the mob than your merc is.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I would say 'don't use poisons' but this would also be equally stupid as rogue poisons are hilariously overpowered early on. My advice is to just grin and bear it for now, they get better at holding aggro.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
It all sounds good! I really have to think about getting a J1 tank merc for my SK; the healbot is great when I grab adds on yellow- and even-conned mobs. The only thing I do worry about is if my healing merc dies. I still don't know what the consequences of that are. Does she just disappear or respawn or what?

At any rate, thanks for the quick answers. Looks like I have a lot to look forward to!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DerekSmartymans posted:

It all sounds good! I really have to think about getting a J1 tank merc for my SK; the healbot is great when I grab adds on yellow- and even-conned mobs. The only thing I do worry about is if my healing merc dies. I still don't know what the consequences of that are. Does she just disappear or respawn or what?

At any rate, thanks for the quick answers. Looks like I have a lot to look forward to!

At level 29, the J1 tank can probably kill 2 yellow or barely-reds solo. You might have to wait for 30 seconds after for him to regen, but it's pretty insane. Even cons, he probably won't lose life through the fight. If a merc dies, it goes on a 5-minute cooldown as if you had pressed the "put the merc away temporarily" button, and you can resummon it for its maintenance price after the cooldown is up, if you are out of combat.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Thanks again for the quick answer. I actually had my healing merc draw aggro the other day in Netherbian Lair at level 27ish. I got the red-con Swarm Leader as an add on two blue drones, and after one drone died she healed me and the Swarm Leader switched to her. I had to burn down all my attacks/debuffs/taunts to get him back on me, and after I dropped him I was so low health I almost FD'ed to heal back up a bit. Only the worry for my healer and lack of knowledge of outcomes kept me fighting to keep her alive. Glad to know that she can get back in the game after a short "rest." :-)

Still gonna hafta get a tank merc really soon!

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
People stream EQ? Well I'll give it a shot: http://www.twitch.tv/wijilob

Here we probably die to Aaryonar and Vulak

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Is there anyone left on test able to send me some plat? My universal chat isn't working so I can't ask anyone in general. My SK's name is Butts :v:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

darkhand posted:

People stream EQ? Well I'll give it a shot: http://www.twitch.tv/wijilob

Here we probably die to Aaryonar and Vulak

HAHA You left in RC chat too, hell yeah. Now I super definitely am not coming back because that's a sadass crew of people other than you and Ffalin and Ben, but this is awesome to watch.

Donkeypunche still managing to press 5PP and instadie on every mob :allears:

Edit - jesus there's nobody there at all. Had to turn it off because RBD being a dipshit again

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 27, 2014

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
What are the typical antics of RBD when he raids poo poo? I want to watch streams now just to see it for myself.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

He's REALLY obnoxious and frequently tells people to do totally incorrect things and has to be corrected by the RL.

In this case, I just really don't like him and his voice is super annoying. Also our RL is drunk and he's a really funny drunk, so RBD's keeping him from rambling

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Oh gently caress that, I really don't want to hear the voice of a brony. An Everquest playing brony, at that.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

It sounds exactly like the stereotype would have you expect. Exactly. It's horrible

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I thought I would stream something cool, but we ended up whiping to vyemm and doing the most boring encounters. Sorry guys

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

darkhand posted:

I thought I would stream something cool, but we ended up whiping to vyemm and doing the most boring encounters. Sorry guys

I've always wondered what would happen to someone that had extreme motion sickness if they tried to melee during the Lord Vyemm encounter.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
The last time I played EQ1 was about 2004 or so, and I'm pining after my 65 Ranger with a need to level him up a bit.

With that in mind, I started a new character so that I could get used to everything again, but god drat this UI is just horrible. It's all well and good pointing people to eqinterface, but does anyone have any recommendations for a UI Layout that works in 1920x1200? Or maybe the sadly more popular 1920x1080?

Every time I try installing a skin and telling it not to keep my layout, it look abysmal.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jiblet posted:

The last time I played EQ1 was about 2004 or so, and I'm pining after my 65 Ranger with a need to level him up a bit.

With that in mind, I started a new character so that I could get used to everything again, but god drat this UI is just horrible. It's all well and good pointing people to eqinterface, but does anyone have any recommendations for a UI Layout that works in 1920x1200? Or maybe the sadly more popular 1920x1080?

Every time I try installing a skin and telling it not to keep my layout, it look abysmal.

One of the streamers was using AngUI the other day. Looked sort of okay. You can always make adjustments to the layouts to suit your preferences - nothing should be locked down to where you can't edit it.

If you want to multi-box (you should! it's fun!) then the smaller ISBoxer windows that you run will probably want special setups anyway, so think about that before you spend a ton of time on one window.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Devor posted:

If you want to multi-box (you should! it's fun!) then the smaller ISBoxer windows that you run will probably want special setups anyway, so think about that before you spend a ton of time on one window.

This is very true. You should both be using ISBoxer and also smaller resolutions, but either way, after playing this game since launch, our very own OP's UI is probably my favorite ever. Pilsner will probably chime in soon, but if not, just find ZlizUI. It's mostly a minimal compilation of great UI mods that fits drat near every resolution possible.

I made a couple superficial changes to mine (merc window smaller, different buff bar because I'm colorblind and the original one was pretty rough to read) but I managed at 1650 with all 10 hotbars open and my UI never felt crowded.

I was about to post a picture, but it was on the guild forums which I just found out I've been locked out of, presumably because I laughed so much at Wiji's awesome stream last night :v:

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
There's also Aya UI, which has been my go-to for a long, long time.

gmrfrlife
Mar 6, 2013
I would be interested in a Kronos, what server are you on?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Flarestar posted:

There's also Aya UI, which has been my go-to for a long, long time.

Yep that's a pretty solid third behind Zliz's and SARS with every other choice pretty awful really. Aya's bitchin' and it's just up to personal preference after a certain point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Don't bother with the kronos anymore, got my SK fully COTF T1 / ROF T4 raid geared. Making a test copy of him incase I did buy some duped bullshit. At least I'll still have the test guy.

Only problem is that I can't figure out which are my worst augments after mass buying poo poo. Is there something that'll tell you instead of having to inspect each and every piece of equipment?

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=114762

This weapon is so insane. I don't even need to use anything but epic click to swarm Grounds now.

New COTF HT does 312,000 damage and 34,000 a tick for an extra 400,000 :pwn:

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 28, 2014