Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
That loving sucks mate, good luck with it all :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Cheers. Thanks all. I'm definitely am not trying to pity party or anything like that. It's just a weird and odd condition (usually reserved for those who've been in traumatic situations) that I am unfamiliar with. I definitely appreciate the support though.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
There's a Panamanian bloke who plays for Sydney, Yairo Yau, who has just been sent home for treatment of the same.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Well, nothing compared to that, but I got my first blood drawn last night. Ball straight to the face while in goal and blood just came pouring out of my nose. Shoved some tissues up there and went back out. :getin:

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Riven posted:

Well, nothing compared to that, but I got my first blood drawn last night. Ball straight to the face while in goal and blood just came pouring out of my nose. Shoved some tissues up there and went back out. :getin:

I made a couple of saves with my face yesterday. One was a glancing blow off my cheek, but the second was a full-on shot to the nose from 10 yards out. Thought for sure I'd be bleeding after that one, but nope.

Keep it out at all costs. :cool:

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

The face is the most important defensive body part. I stopped a header off a corner point blank and bruised my sinus cavity, which swelled enough to press on a dental nerve. It didn't start bothering me for a couple days, but it was totally worth saving one goal in a 7-2 loss.

loving nothing compared to compartment syndrome, that looks nasty man.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

So some dude stepped on my foot, accidental and all but still left a nasty bruise: http://cl.ly/image/3G1e1E3Q1l1E

It was the very first play of the game and I just brushed it off and played the full hour with mild discomfort, kinda freaked out when I took my socks off. Luckily nothing is broken and it doesn't really hurt anymore, but still would be pretty stupid to play like this so I'm off the pitch for a couple weeks.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
If I'm buying cheap keeper gloves (practice-quality) with no "backbone" to the fingers, do I really need to go up a size like I've read? My palm measures just about 9" exactly, should I get the size 9s or size 10s?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just try them on and see what fits best. One of the best innovations I have seen is having mesh in the glove between the thumb and index finger. That is one of the first places to rip usually and this stops that, if you get gloves that are a little small and with no mesh, they will rip almost immediately.

And always remember to have a cap with you, every game, even if the weather is bad.

Are you playing 11 a side or is it a small number game on astro turf of some kind?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
It's just pickup indoor. Usually 7v7 or thereabouts, almost never full teams. I'm not even in a league yet, trying to find a team with an open slot for a keeper.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Drogadon posted:

So some dude stepped on my foot, accidental and all but still left a nasty bruise: http://cl.ly/image/3G1e1E3Q1l1E

It was the very first play of the game and I just brushed it off and played the full hour with mild discomfort, kinda freaked out when I took my socks off. Luckily nothing is broken and it doesn't really hurt anymore, but still would be pretty stupid to play like this so I'm off the pitch for a couple weeks.

Boy are you lucky he missed your toes.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Trips posted:

It's just pickup indoor.

Don't worry about your gloves too much then as they will wear away quickly on the palms when you push yourself up after diving. The smooth grippy palms are great but get eaten by hard surfaces.

And by don't worry I mean don't spend too much cash. I never spent more than $25 on gloves for on 5 a side as the 3g astro destroys them reasonably rapidly.

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 13, 2014

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Converted a sick 1-2 goal in Sunday league this week, undefeated this session, 5-0 :woop:

What a difference having a real GK makes. We picked up this European dude (sorry, I can't tell his accent, but he looks like Simon Mignolet and Peter Schmeichel's love child) who is boss as hell in goal.

Our captain used to be our keeper most of the time and he did ok, but now that he can play in the field, we're that much better, plus we've given up 6 goals in the last 3 matches. Pretty solid stuff for 6-on-6.

I'm curious, now that the core of my team has been together since November of last year, I'm wondering how many other people here have been playing with the same or roughly the same crew for a while. All I know is that in the current session, our team is playing really cohesively and it loving owns.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

My Thursday night crew is a some dudes I went to high school with and we're all fat and/or unfit 30 year olds. Last couple times we played challenge games against a bunch of 20 year olds we have won because of "team chemistry" more than anything.

My Tuesday night crew is the folks from work and in that one there are some tri-athletes and some dudes who played minor leagues when they were younger, so it's a much better team overall but still the improvement as we play together more is very noticeable.

My Saturday morning game is a random pickup so it's a crapshoot.

Developing team chemistry owns.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Had a real good day today. I'm still not sure what "good stats" are for an indoor 7v7 keeper, but I made 20 saves and let in 10, in pretty much 90 minutes of play. A couple of those were bad shots that never should've gone (one went right through my legs because I didn't kneel down in front of a roller) but I made a few saves that got cheers from both teams. So that was cool.

Finally got some gloves, too. Though the selection wasn't great, so I couldn't get the color I wanted. Oh well. Lots of keepers wear pink. :gay:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I've been playing with the same group for almost a year. That's maybe 5-6 sessions and 8 games per session. We started off losing every game by 10-20, and before moving indoor came in second place in our league. We are now experiencing growing pains as we play on the indoor futsal court. We are getting better though, but we don't have a real goal keeper and it is really hurting us.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My team is comprised entirely of people off the subs board, which is a collection of index cards taped to a Pepsi machine.

We've dropped crummy players and picked up better ones along the way, and our age mix is pretty solid. We've got a couple kids who played in HS and are just out of college, but most of us are between 27-32, and one guy who's in his 40's and has what I like to call "old guy moves"

You know, those types of dribbles and turns that let you know that this guy was a beast back in the day and has clearly seen it all before. Huge fan of old guy moves, me.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

So I just got new keeper gloves today (West Coast Vypers, yes it's a silly name) and they're drat good product for $55. Good, grippy latex, finger protection (which I need because I broke my right ring finger last year when making a catch), and decent ventilation.

New season starts next Tuesday, and my old team disbanded due to our captain moving to North Carolina for work. Combine that with the pickup sessions at the local indoor place being discontinued in favor of LAX TRAINING BRAH (I can't really fault them, they pay actual money to rent one of the pitches) and it looks like I'll be the resident rent-a-goalie for the first couple weeks.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Troy Queef posted:

New season starts next Tuesday, and my old team disbanded due to our captain moving to North Carolina for work. Combine that with the pickup sessions at the local indoor place being discontinued in favor of LAX TRAINING BRAH (I can't really fault them, they pay actual money to rent one of the pitches) and it looks like I'll be the resident rent-a-goalie for the first couple weeks.

As soon as I know the schedule for my new job, I'll probably end up being that guy too. There's a GOALIE NEEDED ASAP ad on the league board, hopefully I can grab that spot.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aw yeah, 8-0 C League Champs :smug:

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How do you go on about people mouthing off at each other for poo poo touches/wayward passes etc? Are you the one who moans a lot or the one who suffers in silence and avoids passing to a certain teammate who clearly is a bit poo poo?

I've found myself becoming a bit of the former since I've taken up football again and have seen myself improve a lot.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
im sure not everyone out there is as good as you think you are, so pass them the ball and have some fun its just soccer man

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Charlotte Hornets posted:

How do you go on about people mouthing off at each other for poo poo touches/wayward passes etc? Are you the one who moans a lot or the one who suffers in silence and avoids passing to a certain teammate who clearly is a bit poo poo?

I've found myself becoming a bit of the former since I've taken up football again and have seen myself improve a lot.

Maybe make an excel chart with the skillsets of your teammates and give them FIFA style ratings and then give them to your team captain or maybe make an anonymous website where you can vote off players from the team idk just brainstorming man

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

That depends. Is this a team where you play competetive football or do you just play a bit for fun?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I moan on the inside then realize it's just a recreational league and means absolutely nothing. I do get a little angry if people aren't trying hard like not sprinting back to play D, not coming to the ball, etc.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Geno posted:

I moan on the inside then realize it's just a recreational league and means absolutely nothing. I do get a little angry if people aren't trying hard like not sprinting back to play D, not coming to the ball, etc.

I'm a big fan of the D play.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Adulterous Hitler posted:

I'm a big fan of the D play.

You love the D.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Gigi Galli posted:

You love the D.

Italians inveted the D play to be honest.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

euroboy posted:

That depends. Is this a team where you play competetive football or do you just play a bit for fun?

Will be playing competitively in about 2 months when the season starts, now just having practices twice a week for that. Reason I'm asking is if it's detrimental to the team because some people don't get the ''what happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch'' bit and take it too personally etc. Reminder that I'm not the loon who goes berserk and starts flamewars within the game with teammates while ignoring all the poo poo passes and touches I've done myself. Just sometimes the frustration gets the best of me and I let myself go a bit.

Basically I'm just asking for other people's experience in that matter in the OP. I've seen that poo poo a lot both in very amateur and fun football to a higher level of competitive league stuff. It probably happens often in your average PL game but you just don't hear it or see much if it's not the Bowyer-Dyer kind of poo poo.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Depends on what winds you up. If it's some nugget trying to skin his man 3 times and losing possession in silly places instead of making simple passes then sure, give him a bit of stick. If it's some guy who is clearly a bit poo poo but he's working hard then bite your tongue and leave the poor guy alone.

It all depends on who you're playing with, what they're doing wrong and whether you think the bollocking will be beneficial or detrimental.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Geno posted:

I play a little pickup twice a week at an indoor facility, and by the end of the two-hour session, our 7v7 becomes 3vkeeper at each end. Last week we pulled out the little goals and played some small field stuff, so that was fun, but normally it's all just loving around with trick passes and shots because everyone is tired.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Yelling and moaning at people for making bad passes is dumb. It doesn't help them get better, it just makes them more nervous about screwing up which just makes them screw up more. They are just going to hold the ball longer and lose it.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Redundant posted:

Depends on what winds you up. If it's some nugget trying to skin his man 3 times and losing possession in silly places instead of making simple passes then sure, give him a bit of stick. If it's some guy who is clearly a bit poo poo but he's working hard then bite your tongue and leave the poor guy alone.

Agreed. If it's That Guy who insists on doing everything with the outside of his boot and can't get rid of the ball without doing at least one dragback first, then yell away. If someone's trying their best, leave them alone.

In other news, there are new Copas for the World Cup:

In other other news, I've finally managed to join a league in San Diego after being here for a year and a half. It starts in March. Guess I better start running.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
Those are beautiful.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Yep, getting the blue ones I think.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Hate that tongue style, it's the reason I don't buy Sambas anymore (unless I can find the new style, but good luck with that)

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

cosmicjim posted:

Yelling and moaning at people for making bad passes is dumb. It doesn't help them get better, it just makes them more nervous about screwing up which just makes them screw up more. They are just going to hold the ball longer and lose it.

I don't mind so much if their passing is a bit off, but what frustrates me is if they don't release the ball early, instead attempting to try and fumble their way past a player in a 2 v 1 situation and ballsing it up, or waiting so long to release that it gets cut off by the defender.

I have no reservation in grilling someone on my own team if they do the aforementioned.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Depends on the group dynamics, my Thursday night crew is mostly dudes who I've known since high school and we can yell at each other ruthlessly during the game and then forget about it and have a beer afterwards. On Tuesdays I play with work people who, even though they are cool and I've known some of them for years, I wouldn't yell at them as intensely.

If you're gonna yell about not marking, bad passing or ball hogging you better back it up and not do the same yourself.

Also keepers have a right to yell at the team if they don't loving come back to defend.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 5, 2014

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Drogadon posted:

Also keepers have a right to yell at the team if they don't loving come back to defend.

I have the opposite problem with the group I play pickup with.

There's this one guy who always plays in a sweeper type of role. He'll stand right on the penalty spot, and just block shots all day. Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with that, he's keeping the ball away from me. But goddammit if he isn't 300 loving pounds. I'm trying to see around him, and I tell him I'm screened, but he just loving plants himself in the box and blocks my view of the ball.

Every shot that he doesn't block gets past me because I can't see it until it's five feet from my face. I credit him with at least half of the goals I give up in a game.

And I don't know these guys, so I can't yell at him. All I can do is say "You've got to step up more, I can't see anything when you're standing this deep." But does he listen? gently caress no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Captain Trips posted:

I have the opposite problem with the group I play pickup with.

There's this one guy who always plays in a sweeper type of role. He'll stand right on the penalty spot, and just block shots all day. Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with that, he's keeping the ball away from me. But goddammit if he isn't 300 loving pounds. I'm trying to see around him, and I tell him I'm screened, but he just loving plants himself in the box and blocks my view of the ball.

Every shot that he doesn't block gets past me because I can't see it until it's five feet from my face. I credit him with at least half of the goals I give up in a game.

And I don't know these guys, so I can't yell at him. All I can do is say "You've got to step up more, I can't see anything when you're standing this deep." But does he listen? gently caress no.

Give him the gloves and go play midfield.