Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

LunarShadow posted:

Anyone else having a CTD when using a spear?

[11:21] <@BRAWW> You guys aware of CTD when using a spear?
[11:22] <@bartwe> yes
[11:22] <@bartwe> missing sound files
[11:22] <@bartwe> causing a fallback
[11:22] <@bartwe> to a wav thats failing to parse
[11:22] <@BRAWW> ahh
[11:22] <@bartwe> causing a fail etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

LunarShadow posted:

Anyone else having a CTD when using a spear?

Someone on reddit mentioned that. Two people in the thread mentioned it, but others had no problem. Dump it and craft another to replace it?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Chalks posted:

You shouldn't need to do this, if you just override the file in your mod directory it will do the same, but without completely switching what assets the entire game uses and potentially breaking future updates or getting reverted.

Do you know if you have to repack your mod files or is it just default assets? Cos I guess I could just leave default files somewhere unpacked for reference.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

ChibiSoma posted:

Fantastic. The game is now so choppy and laggy it's completely unplayable.

I'm having the same choppy slow-downs. There doesn't seem to be any change in disabling the Steam Overlay or switching between full-screen and windowed mode. It slows down at random, regardless of what creatures/buildings are on screen.

Mokinokaro posted:

They seem to have located what causes this and are working on a hotfix.
I didn't think it would take them very long; I figured it was something minor and easy to remedy.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 26, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Blocks now have race-specific dialogue, so florans no longer become remarkably erudite when examining avian bricks, etc.

As a modder who is working on a custom race,

GOD DAMNIT

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

ChibiSoma posted:

Fantastic. The game is now so choppy and laggy it's completely unplayable. Before it ran smoothly (until combat started, then it would get laggy a bit when something aggroed) but now it's stuttering so much that it's impossible to do anything, let alone fight or build.

Whatever they changed internally totally broke the game for me. What a great update.

:qq:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ChibiSoma posted:

Fantastic. The game is now so choppy and laggy it's completely unplayable. Before it ran smoothly (until combat started, then it would get laggy a bit when something aggroed) but now it's stuttering so much that it's impossible to do anything, let alone fight or build.

Whatever they changed internally totally broke the game for me. What a great update.

They seem to have located what causes this and are working on a hotfix.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
drat, they did a good job with the update. No slow-downs so far. The loading is so fast, I think they really nailed the asset loading part.

I haven't seen any new content, yet. I haven't even beaten the first boss yet.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Machismo posted:

drat, they did a good job with the update. No slow-downs so far. The loading is so fast, I think they really nailed the asset loading part.

I haven't seen any new content, yet. I haven't even beaten the first boss yet.

Honestly, there isn't much new content. It really was just big engine changes in terms of making the whole "no more character wipe" thing. Pretty sure any "new content" they added was pretty last minute.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Babe Magnet posted:

As a modder who is working on a custom race,

GOD DAMNIT

poo poo

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Custom Race Dudes:

I have a feeling this is because of the new pak system, but the inconsistency is getting to me. I'm loving with the Mantizi to get them to work for this patch, and for some reason all of the clothes and armor have disappeared. At the same time, though, you have no problem spawning with your starter weapons and other stuff. It's only the armor that's messed up. Anyone know what changed with armor?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The UFO boss dropped 5 Molten Cores :psyduck:

And found a new planet type: Savannah.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 26, 2014

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Waitaminute, have mushroom people always been in the game?

edit: huh, guess they have. Never seen one before ...

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

dis astranagant posted:

The UFO boss dropped 5 Molten Cores :psyduck:

Yeah, they added that in to make it so that co-op multiplayer is a lot easier.

Tres Burritos posted:

Waitaminute, have mushroom people always been in the game?

They were added last patch I believe, by one of the writers who wants to do something with them. They're just NPCs now, although you can get their head and wear it into battle.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
So I am assuming that because of the new file system changes that any mods from before will have to be updated before they work right? Or does them being in the mod fold overrule the need?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Has anyone else just been walking along when a giant meteor came out of the sky and gibbed you?

Cause that just happened to me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love the new weather system. :3:

Now all I need is a mod that lets me change my beam-down point.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

eviljimmy posted:

So I am assuming that because of the new file system changes that any mods from before will have to be updated before they work right? Or does them being in the mod fold overrule the need?

Yes. They'd need to be updated regardless since the version changed from Angry Koala to Furious Koala (so you need to change that in your .modinfo file) but on top of that clothing doesn't seem to be working correctly and shows as perfectly generic items. Weapons seem to work fine though so who knows what will need fixing and what won't.

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

Well my fresh new character now causes this error when i try to load

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Open up your Log file in your starbound directory, and scroll down until the wall of text breaks. Look there.

Det_no posted:

Yes. They'd need to be updated regardless since the version changed from Angry Koala to Furious Koala (so you need to change that in your .modinfo file) but on top of that clothing doesn't seem to be working correctly and shows as perfectly generic items. Weapons seem to work fine though so who knows what will need fixing and what won't.

My primary issue is, upon looking at working race mods like the Felins, their clothing and biz work. Then I load up my files right next to theirs, and I cannot see anywhere that's different enough to have mine not work.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
^^^^ Might be due to any file modding you may have done...you will have to reinstall

Det_no posted:

right ok, that is what I thought...oh well guess i have to wait a day or 2 for the Fully Customizable Ship mod to update

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've never touched any of the base files outside of opening them to read them, but I'm reinstalling right now anyway because that usually solves my problems with other games.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know the game can load long, but I'm booting up for the first time after quitting/restarting steam and it gets past the Chucklefish Chuckle and then the loading screen and it sits there for like 5 min. I had to force quit (Mac).

Any ideas?

Is there a way in Steam I can confirm it updated?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If it's a mod, usually that means someone forgot a comma somewhere.

If you've got no mods, you can verify your cache or reinstall. Restart steam and try again first.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Do you know if you have to repack your mod files or is it just default assets? Cos I guess I could just leave default files somewhere unpacked for reference.

No, you don't need to repack files. I've just unpacked the files for reference and I've been creating mods in the old way with merge files as if the whole pak thing wasn't there.

The devs have said that the automatic loading of mods via pak files isn't in game yet but will be there "super soon". Once that's in, presumably you'll be able to package your mod files into a single file for distribution, but you'll probably still want to keep it as individual files when you're developing it.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Hmm, the asset unpacker in win32 doesn't do anything for me. The black window comes up for half a second but then nothing changes, even when I run it as admin on windows 8.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah, I just let Starbound run on it's Loading screen for like 5 min and it quits "unexpectedly" on its own. I am not sure where in Steam I can check to see if I'm on the current version?

[edit]

Ah, on their page:

We’re aware there may be issues with a Steam update crashing the Mac build at the moment! It’s an issue with Steam– disable the Steam overlay to fix it in the meantime.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

My primary issue is, upon looking at working race mods like the Felins, their clothing and biz work. Then I load up my files right next to theirs, and I cannot see anywhere that's different enough to have mine not work.

I just found my problem. In the old .head/.chest/.legs and whatever files there is a line like this:

quote:

"statusEffects" : [
{
"kind" : "ColdProtection",
"amount" : "1"

NOW you actually have to remove the "" from the amount number, leaving it like this:

quote:

"statusEffects" : [
{
"kind" : "ColdProtection",
"amount" : 1

That allowed my items to show up correctly.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
There's a pretty good deal of content in this patch, too - the Glitch mech is freaking awesome. Looking through the files there's just a ton of random stuff sprinkled around, new monster parts, items, weapons, etc. The procedural "level design" seems vastly improved, it's way less sparse than it has been. I'd say there's a ton of new micro-dungeons, which is great underground.

A lot of the "behind-the-curtain" additions are also exposed to modders, meaning new options are opened up for mods. The "damage" folder is new, right? If so it seems the modders now have control over creating new types of damage. That may not sound exciting but every new tool available for modders is gonna make things that much better. I'm hopeful I may even be able to use this new feature to create bouncy objects, since it seems to let you define how knockback works for various types of damage.

DFlux posted:

Hmm, the asset unpacker in win32 doesn't do anything for me. The black window comes up for half a second but then nothing changes, even when I run it as admin on windows 8.

It's sort of hosed right now, you have to unpack the assets into a new (non-existent) directory for it to work. Fix for that in the upcoming hotfix with the stuttering & spear-crash fixes.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

DFlux posted:

You don't use it like that...you have to use it via the command line

so so to unpack you Shift right click in the win32 Dir and select "run command line here" then "asset_unpacker.exe "<YOUR STEAM DIR>\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" assets"

and to pack up is the same thing but
"asset_packer.exe "<YOUR STEAM DIR>\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\assets" packed.pak"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It was crashing on my Mac and I deleted the local files and reinstalled from scratch and now it works fine. YMMV.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Det_no posted:

I just found my problem. In the old .head/.chest/.legs and whatever files there is a line like this:

NOW you actually have to remove the "" from the amount number, leaving it like this:

That allowed my items to show up correctly.

This worked, thanks a ton!

What a strange thing to change from one patch to the next. Whatever.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

It was crashing on my Mac and I deleted the local files and reinstalled from scratch and now it works fine. YMMV.

I'm considering doing this with my server as well. Getting a bit of crashing and high CPU usage with less people on than it was handling before the patch.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008

eviljimmy posted:

You don't use it like that...you have to use it via the command line

so so to unpack you Shift right click in the win32 Dir and select "run command line here" then "asset_unpacker.exe "<YOUR STEAM DIR>\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" assets"

and to pack up is the same thing but
"asset_packer.exe "<YOUR STEAM DIR>\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\assets" packed.pak"

I tried that, it doesn't work because the CMD doesn't like the spaces in Program Files (x86).

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

Error: Error loading player file, ignoring! ..\player\369ccbb1d0c1427c11afeb8d65393c92.player : IOException: Wrong magic bytes at start of versioned json file, expected 'SBVJ01'
006536FB (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarVersioning.cpp:20)
0052295C (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarVersioning.hpp:23)
00402252 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:342)
00407077 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:382)
0040A272 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:200)
004075C7 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/main.cpp:38)
00505D31 (\SDL-1.2.15/./src/main/win32/SDL_win32_main.c:318)

Info: Shutting down Star::Root
Error: IOException: Internal error in uncompressData, inflate_res is -3
009A51D4 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarException.hpp:84)
00882AEF (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarCompression.cpp:86)
00882BDD (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarCompression.cpp:95)
0087E8C2 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarDataStream.hpp:616)
0087ECD5 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarBTree.hpp:481)
0087EDD6 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarBTree.hpp:483)
... (8)
00407326 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:418)
0040A272 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:200)
004075C7 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/main.cpp:38)
00505D31 (\SDL-1.2.15/./src/main/win32/SDL_win32_main.c:318)

no idea what any of tht means but i assume i t means my character is dead again

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Terbulus posted:

no idea what any of tht means but i assume i t means my character is dead again

Have you tried re-installing the game?

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

DFlux posted:

I tried that, it doesn't work because the CMD doesn't like the spaces in Program Files (x86).

There will be a way to put it....I don't know personally because my steam folder is elsewhere.

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

Babyface Mingo posted:

Have you tried re-installing the game?

yup restart and reinstall

cant make play new characters either :(

think it might be the "inflate_res is -3" part

Terbulus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 26, 2014

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Yeah, the update has made the game very noticeably perform worse - I'm getting huge FPS drops in places I definitely wasn't before (like in penal colonies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonFM
Oct 3, 2013

The Mattybee posted:

Yeah, the update has made the game very noticeably perform worse - I'm getting huge FPS drops in places I definitely wasn't before (like in penal colonies).

Oddly enough I'm actually getting a better frame rate in places I normamly didn't (In Penial Colonies it would goto about 15 and now is about 30)

• Locked thread