Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

DarkAvenger211 posted:

How early can you do PVP? Right from the start? Or would it be basically impossible considering how low level you might be

There are battlegrounds starting from level 1. Whether or not anyone is in them is the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
There are battle grounds every 4 levels so you can pvp from level 1 but I don't know how populated they are. Around 35+ Healers and shaman can roll with chill groups taking keeps and fighting whatever comes around other classes will probably need to be 45+. No serious 8 man will take anyone below 50.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Rip the server

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

im gay posted:

Rip the server

It's just straight up offline, right?

If it wouldn't drive off literally every player over level 5 I think the ideal solution would be to wipe the whole loving thing and start over. There's some rumor that their database is so full of bad data from the crafting bugs that it's going to be a laggy crashing wreck til that is fixed no matter what hardware they throw at it.

Of course for a server that was at capacity every single day after its Monday afternoon release, I'm not sure what I or anyone else expected would happen over the weekend. It was going to melt.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
I wouldn't be mad if they did a wipe and I'd even consider rolling alb since it seems they're having population problems.

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?

Tanreall posted:

I wouldn't be mad if they did a wipe and I'd even consider rolling alb since it seems they're having population problems.

Yeah if they do wipe, I'm going alb. BoF/SoS etc.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
There's no chance in hell they'd wipe, but yeah, I like Alb casters the best.

Apparently Hibernia ninja'd an Albion relic while the zone was frozen. Cody (the GM) wasn't too happy and posted something about how "two side RvR" isn't fun for anyone. The staff knows population balance is a problem.

Why'd everyone and their mother go Mid anyway? Weren't they the black sheep in live?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Yeah, if they wiped I'd go Hib or Alb. Half-Ogre was a SI race, right? And I don't know about blacksheep but on my live server in this time period Population was Mid > Alb > Hib, but Albs got poo poo on in rvr.

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
I read that the leveling bug only worked in Hib/Mid, but not Alb, so that would be my guess. I didnt play the first week though so no idea if its true or not.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Dogo posted:

I read that the leveling bug only worked in Hib/Mid, but not Alb, so that would be my guess. I didnt play the first week though so no idea if its true or not.

It worked fine for everyone. Alb just doesn't have an equivalently awesome spot like Mid/Hib does.

Kejek
Nov 19, 2006
Doubt they would wipe. It would be quite simple to copy just the character tables. While you may get a loss of inventory, your character itself would probably be fine.

Unless the corruption goes further than just the crafting and into the character tables... But even then with a little bit of work you could rebuild the tables.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Right now I'm pretty sure population is Hib > Mid > Alb. I hope a lot of the PvE stays broken gently caress grinding gear.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tanreall posted:

Right now I'm pretty sure population is Hib > Mid > Alb. I hope a lot of the PvE stays broken gently caress grinding gear.

I'd like TG/Dragon to atleast have AI. When poo poo settles there's going to be so much loving TG loot on the market it'll be retarded.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Actually I wouldn't even mind it if the only available gear was the craftable gear. DaoC had pretty much the best crafting system (besides the grind maybe) for gear, which they broke by introducing powercreep artifacts.

Leave loot drops like 90% quality for leveling, but fight in the Frontiers with craftable gear. Best gear would be a full 100% spellcrafted, alchemy'd set custom made just for you.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Evernoob posted:

Actually I wouldn't even mind it if the only available gear was the craftable gear. DaoC had pretty much the best crafting system (besides the grind maybe) for gear, which they broke by introducing powercreep artifacts.

Leave loot drops like 90% quality for leveling, but fight in the Frontiers with craftable gear. Best gear would be a full 100% spellcrafted, alchemy'd set custom made just for you.

This is still how it was back when SI came out. TG had great filler gear to atleast reduce the price of a SC'd suit, and pretty okay weapons. Primary was still crafted.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
poo poo I guess EA is talking to the Origins dudes and they're getting DDOS attacked. No idea if it's legit.

http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5383

quote:

Greetings,
I understand why you guys are "pissed" but not many people here know that even the GMs and Admins have a RL and Jobs they have to deal with. Because of that I get a lot of :cry: why the server isnt working.
The DEVs try everything they can and as far as Ive heard were getting DDOSed and been contacted by EA. You dont believe how much pressure there is on us right now even tho this is just a hobby for us.
Itll take time until it works without any problems. To be honest im pissed too that I cant play on the weekend (especially if you got free time) a lot even. But theres no point in complaining, nobody is helped with that :-)

Ill keep you updated! (Except i am sleeping, eating, on the can, working, meeting friends, going out for a drink on some evenings or something similiar) Yes thats stuff we do too :-)

Greetings
Ares

Take it with a grain of salt, but that should help to understand it if the google translate wasnt clear enough

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I would totally play Alb if the server is wiped. I want to experience the pain of autoing a minst to 48.

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face
is this down now?

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

sinewave posted:

is this down now?

For now. There have been major lag issues. It should be up today/tomorrow/this week though.

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5409

Here's an update, hopefully they get it up and running soon.

quote:

Hi folks,

The server is down at the moment due to two factors. We have had an error that the staff needs to fix before we come back up. We have our very best people working on it. AND, there is the rub. Our very best people SHOULD be working on cutting over to the new system. Therefore, we're using this downtime to do a bit of both, bug fixes and new system cut over. That WILL extend the downtime a bit but we'll come back up in a MUCH stronger state.

We're sorry for the disruption, but it's in a worthy cause... to provide the best service ever in the DAoC Dawn of Light universe.

Regards,

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Woodhouse posted:

http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5409

Here's an update, hopefully they get it up and running soon.

Didn't mention anything about the EA thingy. Maybe it was just posturing. Pretty sure every server gets some kind of notice from <Parent Company> these days.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

Kazvall posted:

I would totally play Alb if the server is wiped. I want to experience the pain of autoing a minst to 48.

You're poo poo out of luck because you don't have to auto train on Origins it just gives you the extra skill points.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
What is the population like on live servers now? This has to hurt EA a little bit.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

im gay posted:

What is the population like on live servers now? This has to hurt EA a little bit.

About the same or less as Origins.

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

And another update regarding DDoS and EA:

"We think we are well prepared for ddos attacks. We don't think ANYONE can be prepared for an EA Lawyer attack but we have taken some steps."

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face
I don't get it. It's "up" now and shows 700 some people online. However, it's doing what it always does and fails to load completely. Do you guys have your accounts flagged with special permissions or something to get in?

GIMpy12
Jun 10, 2004

DarkAvenger211 posted:

How early can you do PVP? Right from the start? Or would it be basically impossible considering how low level you might be
They have battlegrounds for every 4 levels. Chances are you will out level a battleground before catching any action.

The Proving Grounds (Level 1-4)
The Lion's Den (Level 5-9)
The Hill's of Claret (Level 10-14)
Killaloe (Level 15-19)
Thidranki (Level 20-24)
Braemar (Level 25-29)
Wilton (Level 30-34)
Molvik (Level 35-39)
Leirvik (Level 40-44)
Cathal Valley (Level 45-49)

sinewave posted:

I don't get it. It's "up" now and shows 700 some people online. However, it's doing what it always does and fails to load completely. Do you guys have your accounts flagged with special permissions or something to get in?

Try using the DAOC portal/DOL launcher instead of the origin launcher I am on now.

GIMpy12 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 27, 2014

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

sinewave posted:

What type of character are you trying to log in, also what does the patch number on the loading screen say?

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

sinewave posted:

I think its happening to most people. Same thing happens to me.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Starting points for shaman go into con, dex, and piety right?

Kejek
Nov 19, 2006

sinewave posted:

They are slowly raising the cap, stopping for a bit to fix any lag issues, then raising the cap again.

The message happens because its "locked" and there are too many players, even though its not specifically giving you that message. Keep trying and you should get in.

GIMpy12
Jun 10, 2004

Hibs just took two keeps and I can't even see NPCs as a mid.

Edit: Server reboot 30 minutes (17:06GMT)

GIMpy12 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 27, 2014

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

GIMpy12 posted:

Hibs just took two keeps and I can't even see NPCs as a mid.

Edit: Server reboot 30 minutes (17:06GMT)

Oh word, hibs exploiting again?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

im gay posted:

Starting points for shaman go into con, dex, and piety right?

Drop the con, put 5 more in dex.

GIMpy12
Jun 10, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

Oh word, hibs exploiting again?

Haha I am not sure. In this past half hour I have seen more keeps change hands then I think I have my whole time on the server.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

GIMpy12 posted:

They have battlegrounds for every 4 levels. Chances are you will out level a battleground before catching any action.

The Proving Grounds (Level 1-4)
The Lion's Den (Level 5-9)
The Hill's of Claret (Level 10-14)
Killaloe (Level 15-19)
Thidranki (Level 20-24)
Braemar (Level 25-29)
Wilton (Level 30-34)
Molvik (Level 35-39)
Leirvik (Level 40-44)
Cathal Valley (Level 45-49)

Try using the DAOC portal/DOL launcher instead of the origin launcher I am on now.

Did they create the full complement of bg's? I don't remember having so many back during SI. I thought it started with thid around level 20-25. I may be well off however.

GIMpy12
Jun 10, 2004

Twlight posted:

Did they create the full complement of bg's? I don't remember having so many back during SI. I thought it started with thid around level 20-25. I may be well off however.

No they were added in ToA but for whatever reason are here.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

GIMpy12 posted:

No they were added in ToA but for whatever reason are here.

I like their mix of content so far, would be better ifIi could play all of it but I havn't paid any money for it yet so I can't really complain.

As far as alb not having any awsome spots they do but its deep in Avalon where no one would look. Its a small dragon army standing on a beach not quite sure where it is though.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Well, Uthgard is officially under re-construction. From my understanding they were already EXTREMELY close to releasing SI (thus shitcanning Tajendi). A wipe would of been pretty necessary given how ridiculously good some Tajendi loot was.

A friend from Uthgard that finally rolled on Origins last night whom has multiple Uthgard staff as friends said they were 2 months at the max from relaunching. So, take that as you will. Third party information and all that.

Hopefully Origins gets their poo poo sorted before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

PriNGLeS posted:

Well, Uthgard is officially under re-construction. From my understanding they were already EXTREMELY close to releasing SI (thus shitcanning Tajendi). A wipe would of been pretty necessary given how ridiculously good some Tajendi loot was.

A friend from Uthgard that finally rolled on Origins last night whom has multiple Uthgard staff as friends said they were 2 months at the max from relaunching. So, take that as you will. Third party information and all that.

Hopefully Origins gets their poo poo sorted before that.

Yeah, I'd rather stay in Origins and not deal with Blue and his poo poo staff...but I'll play wherever I -can- play.

• Locked thread