Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Factor_VIII posted:

Yes. Looks like it was the same bug.

Yup, that was exactly what I got. The only mod I'm using is the latest tweak pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

gender illusionist posted:

Yup, that was exactly what I got. The only mod I'm using is the latest tweak pack.

FYI most dialog, item description or item addition options in the tweak pack will break dialog and descriptions throughout the game. I don't think it has been updated for EE. Item stacking works, but not much else.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Dillbag posted:

FYI most dialog, item description or item addition options in the tweak pack will break dialog and descriptions throughout the game. I don't think it has been updated for EE. Item stacking works, but not much else.

I think the only component I used that might have affected it would be the fatigue removal from restoration spells, if the description is changed.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

gender illusionist posted:

I think the only component I used that might have affected it would be the fatigue removal from restoration spells, if the description is changed.

I'm pretty sure I installed that and didn't have any problems. When I said not much else works I meant not much in the way of item modifications work. Did you install the added IWD weapons? I think that's what it was called and that's what hosed the dialogs and item descriptions for me.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, that's irritating. At the end of Watcher's Keep and I summoned a Deva to help out with that piss annoying fight at Imprisoned One's key locks. Deva was (ironically enough) hit with Imprisonment. Now I can't summon any more Devas since she's technically still alive and you can only have one out at a time. I don't even recall where you get Freedom scrolls aside from that guy in the Underdark.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Dillbag posted:

I'm pretty sure I installed that and didn't have any problems. When I said not much else works I meant not much in the way of item modifications work. Did you install the added IWD weapons? I think that's what it was called and that's what hosed the dialogs and item descriptions for me.

I didn't install them since they come with the EE version as standard.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Well, that's irritating. At the end of Watcher's Keep and I summoned a Deva to help out with that piss annoying fight at Imprisoned One's key locks. Deva was (ironically enough) hit with Imprisonment. Now I can't summon any more Devas since she's technically still alive and you can only have one out at a time. I don't even recall where you get Freedom scrolls aside from that guy in the Underdark.

The magic scroll dude in Saradush, and later Amkethran, should have a scroll of freedom, I'm pretty sure. Or if you're still in SoA, maybe you should check the Adventurer's mart? Or maybe even the merchant on top of Watcher's Keep? I'm just saying scrolls of Freedom aren't exactly rare, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem to just free the deva. That does sound like a pretty obnoxious bug though.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
Because its solely to fix an unexpected bug, I wouldn't feel bad about using the console to spawn a scroll for you.

Edit: the item code to spawn a scroll of freedom appears to be SCRL9Z

Koskinator fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 27, 2014

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Abilifier posted:

I'm just saying scrolls of Freedom aren't exactly rare, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem to just free the deva.
What? Yes they are. The only ones you can buy in SoA are in the Underdark or Adventurer's Mart after completing the Underdark.

Entropy238 posted:

Viconia got changed to a fighter/cleric with the same stats as Anomen because I couldn't face using Anomen because he's Anomen. Nothing interesting here - she became a standard FoA/Crom or DoE wielding monster like other cleric based characters towards the end of the game. Boring but effective. As the game progressed it became harder and harder to keep her in the front line because of her low CON so I could only really throw her in the thick of things properly with Armor of Faith, Hardiness and DoE stacking physical resists. Mages completely wrecked her at every point in the game.
#1 Why do you not give her the Girdle of Fortitude?
#2 How can Viconia get owned by mages when she has 65% natural MR? Do they use a lot of Lower Resistance? If so that would give you a fair bit of time to take them out, no?

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Think I just hit an odd bug in Throne of Bhaal, playing a kensai/mage I just hit mage level 18, got my first 9th level spell slot and my first HLA. After leveling I seem to have lost my kensai bonuses to AC as my AC has suddenly dropped from -7 to -5. I also noticed when I leveled I got another weapon proficiency pip, but the game let me put it onto anything that I could as a kensai (and also put more than one on a weapon now) which I thought was odd. I googled around but couldn't find anything about this happening to anyone else, and my thac0 still seems to be right, I still have the same number of attacks and I still have the kai ability. Is there anywhere that the class bonuses I'm receiving should be listed, or can I check that with shadowkeeper or something? Anyone heard of this happening before?

This is regular throne of bhaal with only the fixpack and widescreen mods installed, not EE.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

fralbjabar posted:

Think I just hit an odd bug in Throne of Bhaal, playing a kensai/mage I just hit mage level 18, got my first 9th level spell slot and my first HLA. After leveling I seem to have lost my kensai bonuses to AC as my AC has suddenly dropped from -7 to -5. I also noticed when I leveled I got another weapon proficiency pip, but the game let me put it onto anything that I could as a kensai (and also put more than one on a weapon now) which I thought was odd. I googled around but couldn't find anything about this happening to anyone else, and my thac0 still seems to be right, I still have the same number of attacks and I still have the kai ability. Is there anywhere that the class bonuses I'm receiving should be listed, or can I check that with shadowkeeper or something? Anyone heard of this happening before?

This is regular throne of bhaal with only the fixpack and widescreen mods installed, not EE.

You should have been able to put multiple pips on weapons as soon as you got your Kensai levels back the first time. Not sure about the AC bonus. I would take all your armor and items off to see if the base AC still checks out. Worst case scenario you can add it back in with Shadowkeeper.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
If I want Imoen in my party should I get through Chapter 2 as quickly as possible? I forget if she remains her starting level when she rejoins.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Draile posted:

If I want Imoen in my party should I get through Chapter 2 as quickly as possible? I forget if she remains her starting level when she rejoins.

She gets bumped up to level 12ish when you pick her up. It's not a big deal anyway if you're willing to use ShadowKeeper.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So, I am in the Underdark and I keep getting some event that says that somehow the Drow see through my disguise and attack me. What causes this and how do I prevent it?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

bunnielab posted:

So, I am in the Underdark and I keep getting some event that says that somehow the Drow see through my disguise and attack me. What causes this and how do I prevent it?

My bet is you took too long on one of Phaere's requests. If she gives you a time limit on something, she loving means it. Violating the time limit of any of the infiltration quests blows your cover.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

My bet is you took too long on one of Phaere's requests. If she gives you a time limit on something, she loving means it. Violating the time limit of any of the infiltration quests blows your cover.

gently caress. Yeah, I stopped to kill the lich on my way to talk to her. Is there something I can tweak in SK to reset the timer? I am so close to being done and want to see how this plays out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

bunnielab posted:

gently caress. Yeah, I stopped to kill the lich on my way to talk to her. Is there something I can tweak in SK to reset the timer? I am so close to being done and want to see how this plays out.

Well the smart way to play it is to basically do stuff during each stage of her overall plot line so you're not cramming it all into one time limit, because she gives you a different time limit at every landmark. Ransacking the Beholder/Illithid places before she even asks for Elder Race Bits, for example.

So if she has further quests before the end, just reset your time limit by finishing the current quest.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

amanasleep posted:

You should have been able to put multiple pips on weapons as soon as you got your Kensai levels back the first time. Not sure about the AC bonus. I would take all your armor and items off to see if the base AC still checks out. Worst case scenario you can add it back in with Shadowkeeper.

Well, I took the cloak of protection +2 off and my AC didn't change so I put it back on and my AC went back down to where it should be. Guess it wasn't kensai abilities after all, no idea why the cloak suddenly got into equipment limbo though. Fire giants are now slightly less murderous.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything recent when I searched. Has anyone had any luck playing cross-platform multiplayer on Baldur's Gate 2 EE? I have the game on Steam and tried playing with my friend (who has the iPad version), but we couldn't connect to each other. We could both see a list of available games, but it seemed like our lists were different. I think I saw somewhere that the game versions might be different at the moment, can anyone confirm?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Can anyone help me with a rough guide to starting spells and picking spells going forward from BG2 and on? I tried but you get so few and i get scared of picking something wrong. I'll be bringing a party of neutral/good npc's i think.

Edit: as a sorcerer, duh

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Just a quick list of the ones I like by spell level:

1 - magic missile, armor, sleep (early on when things won't save against it)
2 - melf's acid arrow, power word sleep, resist fear (use it! so many things hit your party with fear effects and one cast covers everyone), ray of enfeeblement, strength (cheese tactic: cast strength on big scary things and their strength is REDUCED to 18 with no save), glitterdust (early invisibility counter)
3 - fireball, lightning bolt, haste, melf's minute meteors (the attack with these is considered a weapon attack with a +5 weapon), slow, skull trap (I don't use it very much but a lot of people seem to like it)
4 - greater malison (use before throwing out death spells / status effects), improved invisibility, stoneskin, minor sequencer
5 - chaos, cloudkill, breach, oracle, spell shield
6 - chain lightning, contingency, pierce magic, true seeing, globe of invulnerability, improved haste, spell deflection
7 - delayed blast fireball, ruby ray of reversal, spell sequencer (load this poo poo up with magic missiles then explode enemy wizards before they get their protections up!), spell turning, finger of death
8 - Symbol (anything), simulacrum, spell trigger, horrid wilting
9 - everything except bigby's crushing hand

As a sorcerer you're going to have to pick a specialty, you'll never have enough known spells to get everything that a wizard will have so pick something to focus on and do mostly that. You can have your NPCs pick up the slack on the areas you don't have, so if you focus on the big damage dealing evocations you can have other NPC wizards pick up all the party buffs, or offensive status effects or (in the late game) anti wizard debuffs. Later in the game the anti magic protection spells will become very important, use breach to get rid of things like stoneskin and use pierce magic/ruby ray of reversal/secret word/warding whip to get rid of the spell protections keeping your breach from hitting home. Alternatively, recruit Keldorn and use his ridiculous dispel ability instead.

Some things also get replicated by clerics: dispel magic, hold person and the symbols all show up in the cleric spell list and your cleric(s) will generally have a bunch more spell slots available than your wizards. Also clerics level faster, if you recruit anomen for example he'll be at level 20something by the time your sorcerer pc hits 15 or 16.

Hope that wall of text helps, I know I forgot something important in there.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I might be wrong, but I think you have as much time as you want after actually doing Phaere's stuff. Like she might give you an hour to kill gnomes, but after they're dead she'll be waiting all day for you to turn it in.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you aren't afraid of a bit of cheese, Chromatic Orb for a level 1 spell is potentially overpowered against single target big bosses. At a certain point it turns into a single target instant death spell with the downside of a +6 bonus to the targets save. Combined with Greater Malison and the sheer volume of orbs you can throw being a level 1 spell, it isn't really a downside and if it isn't immune to death its probably going to die before you run out

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Nuclear War posted:

Can anyone help me with a rough guide to starting spells and picking spells going forward from BG2 and on? I tried but you get so few and i get scared of picking something wrong. I'll be bringing a party of neutral/good npc's i think.

Edit: as a sorcerer, duh

Initial picks

Level 1: Blindness, Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Shield, Spook
Level 2: Mirror Image, Glitterdust, Web
Level 3: Melf's Minute Meteors, Haste, Skull Trap

Level ups

S8: Stoneskins(4)
S9: Invisibility(2), Slow(3), Spider Spawn(4)
S10: Breach(5)
S11: Melf's Acid Arrow(2), Flame Arrow(3), Teleport Field(4), Lower Resistance(5)
S12: Improved Haste(6)
S13: Greater Malison(4), Chaos(5), Summon Nishruu(6)
S14: Spell Sequencer(7)
S15: Animate Dead(5), Mislead(6), Limited Wish(7)
S16: Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting(8)
S17: Project Image(7), Spell Trigger(8)
S18: Summon Planetar(HLA)

This should get you through SoA. Of course, these are just my opinion and YMMV. These picks are rock solid and work well with a party, giving you a balance of offence and defense without worrying about anything too complicated.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Can you do anything about Kangaxx's spell immunity or are magic users just straight up screwed wrt dealing spell damage?

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Melf's minute meteors - I killed him at like level 10 on my last playthrough with them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I just got to the the part of SoA where you run into Drizzt and gang.

I killed them all without really being hit. I feel I must be overleveled as nothing but that silver dragon has given me any issues for a long rear end time.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I never had much problem with his buddies, but then Drizzt would just kind of run around gibbing everyone and I couldn't do a lot to stop him.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

I never had much problem with his buddies, but then Drizzt would just kind of run around gibbing everyone and I couldn't do a lot to stop him.

I used the almost the same party to kill him in BG1 where I had to try like two dozen times to get the fucker. Steamrolling over him this time was pretty loving cool and I was a little embarrassed how excited it made me. I actually yelled something like "what now, bitch!", very glad I was home alone.

Question; Are gated pit fiends supposed to go after my other summons?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bunnielab posted:

I used the almost the same party to kill him in BG1 where I had to try like two dozen times to get the fucker. Steamrolling over him this time was pretty loving cool and I was a little embarrassed how excited it made me. I actually yelled something like "what now, bitch!", very glad I was home alone.

Question; Are gated pit fiends supposed to go after my other summons?

I think pit fiends go after everything that isn't rocking Protection From Evil.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong pit fiend ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no summoner ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Considering starting another BG1+2 run soon, after finishing my very first run through the games last year. Any suggestions for interesting mods that could spice up a second playthrough, besides what's in the OP?

Looked over some of the bigger mods like Check the Bodies, but more specific info on what exactly they add (besides just giving you the number of new enemies/quests/etc) was a little sparse. Colors of Infinity looks decent, but it's always worth checking.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

bathroom sounds posted:

╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong pit fiend ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no summoner ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Yo can you embroider this on a sampler to hang over my PC?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Are side quests in bg1 sensitive to whatever chapter you are on?

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Are side quests in bg1 sensitive to whatever chapter you are on?

A bunch of the ones around the city are hard/impossible to complete after you return to Candlekeep and get framed by Sarevok

Other than that I don't think any of them are, and definitely none of the tales of the sword coasts quests are chapter sensitive.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

fralbjabar posted:

A bunch of the ones around the city are hard/impossible to complete after you return to Candlekeep and get framed by Sarevok
The Fist gets called off after you confront him in the palace. You can go around doing miscellaneous quests while Sarevok is chilling in his underground temple. (That's my preferred point in the game to do the ToSC content.)

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
This has nothing to do with infinity engine games but I figured it was probably the most apt spot. In the gold box d&d games what is the pool of radiance? I guess I mean what is its namesake?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Man, I played these games as a kid, and I could never figure out how to succeed. I would always load up my dad's saves and try to play from wherever he was, but inevitably died horribly. I remember accidentally wandering into Durlags, picking a fight with the Shadow Dragon, and getting ripped apart by the beholders in the sewers. The games was so pretty, complicated, and exciting, but I just didn't have the know-how to participate.

Now, years later with the EE addition, it is so satisfying going back and demolishing my childhood dream. Stomping around as a wild mage in BG1 was fun, but now I hit SoA, I'm just ridiculously powerful. gently caress you Bodhi, I ain't afraid of you. I hosed up an ancient red dragon JUST TO SEE IF I COULD, then killed his black cousin in two rounds to make a matching shirt. My paladin buddy kills elder beholders for fun with a sword that is one of the most powerful artifacts on the planet. You think I'm afraid of a tiny elven vampire with a mean older brother?

Just entered the Underdark, I'm psyched to stomp some drow. Gotta say, so far, I'm really digging the Keldorn/Jaheira/Imoen/Mazzy/Minsc lineup. Everybody is just having so much fun smiting villains and kicking evil in the backside. It's like a college roadtrip with monsters instead of beer.

Edit: Dunzo.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 31, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Verr posted:

Man, I played these games as a kid, and I could never figure out how to succeed. I would always load up my dad's saves and try to play from wherever he was, but inevitably died horribly. I remember accidentally wandering into Durlags, picking a fight with the Shadow Dragon, and getting ripped apart by the beholders in the sewers. The games was so pretty, complicated, and exciting, but I just didn't have the know-how to participate.

Now, years later with the EE addition, it is so satisfying going back and demolishing my childhood dream. Stomping around as a wild mage in BG1 was fun, but now I hit SoA, I'm just ridiculously powerful. gently caress you Bodhi, I ain't afraid of you. I hosed up an ancient red dragon JUST TO SEE IF I COULD, then killed his black cousin in two rounds to make a matching shirt. My paladin buddy kills elder beholders for fun with a sword that is one of the most powerful artifacts on the planet. You think I'm afraid of a tiny elven vampire with a mean older borther?

Just entered the Underdark, I'm psyched to stomp some drow. Gotta say, so far, I'm really digging the Keldorn/Jaheira/Imoen/Mazzy/Minsc lineup. Everybody is just having so much fun smiting villains and kicking evil in the backside. It's like a college roadtrip with monsters instead of beer.

While I'm not sure we really need spoilers on a game that's fifteen years old, if we are you maaaaay wanna spoiler Bodhi's race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

This has nothing to do with infinity engine games but I figured it was probably the most apt spot. In the gold box d&d games what is the pool of radiance? I guess I mean what is its namesake?

The Pool of Radiance was basically a glowing pool of water. It acted as a phylactery for the demon possessing the final boss of the game.