Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

haywire posted:

Is there an alternative to SABnzbd that doesn't max out CPU whilst downloading? I mean other things can download crap at max speed without crapping out my Core 2 E8500.

http://nzbget.sourceforge.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Before suggesting alternatives, shouldn't we be considering it a sign of a problem that someone's complaining about SAB's CPU use?

That's on my desktop, a Phenom II X6 1045T. Not the slowest machine on the planet, but not by any means high-end or expensive. My previous server, the slowest machine I've run SAB on, ran an Athlon X2 3800+ and still never exceeded the mid-20s during downloads. PAR2 checks spike the CPU for a few seconds and a repair will pin it for a while, but you won't escape those by changing downloaders.

People run SAB on sub-1GHz NAS devices, if it's causing CPU load problems on a 3GHz dual core something is very wrong.

Haywire, can you provide more details about what problems you're seeing? Is it really placing a constant heavy load on your system just while downloading, or did you have a large queue set up so it was parchecking and downloading at the same time? What's the rest of the system specs, particularly RAM, disks, and OS?

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 10, 2014

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
Has anyone tried eXtendable download manager? It's developed by the guy who maintained the anime branch of sickbeard and I'm kinda curious. The idea seems pretty solid at least.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Which is the indexer to go for? That's currently open to register for, I don't have anything against paying for it.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Find the NZB.su invite thread.

I can't seem to find it.

edit: Alot of people here prefer dognzb but a.)no invites currently and b.) its not much different.

Plus i love mzb.su's movie view page, where you can enter an IMDB id and see all the releases of that particular... imdb-listed linux iso.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Are there any providers that are EU specific? I've been using Supernews for awhile but I've moved to Germany and am curious if there's another provider I should consider.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Ashex posted:

Are there any providers that are EU specific? I've been using Supernews for awhile but I've moved to Germany and am curious if there's another provider I should consider.

Why do you want/need a EU provider? I'm in germany and I'm using astraweb (both us and eu servers) as my main and blocknews as backup.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Primarily to get away from DMCA stuff, I pointed SAB to the eu supernews server and it's been working perfectly. Last time I poked around I'd heard some EU providers weren't quite as quick to respond to DMCA takedowns.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

TweakNews

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Ive got all my mains and backups pointed at both their EU and US servers. And TweakNews as my EU-Only backup.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

wolrah posted:

Before suggesting alternatives, shouldn't we be considering it a sign of a problem that someone's complaining about SAB's CPU use?

That's on my desktop, a Phenom II X6 1045T. Not the slowest machine on the planet, but not by any means high-end or expensive. My previous server, the slowest machine I've run SAB on, ran an Athlon X2 3800+ and still never exceeded the mid-20s during downloads. PAR2 checks spike the CPU for a few seconds and a repair will pin it for a while, but you won't escape those by changing downloaders.

People run SAB on sub-1GHz NAS devices, if it's causing CPU load problems on a 3GHz dual core something is very wrong.

Haywire, can you provide more details about what problems you're seeing? Is it really placing a constant heavy load on your system just while downloading, or did you have a large queue set up so it was parchecking and downloading at the same time? What's the rest of the system specs, particularly RAM, disks, and OS?

The CPU is only going to get pegged if it needs to par check and unpack, which there isn't much you can do about. I run SAB + Sickbeard without any hiccups on a Synology DiskStation 1813+

This is it unpacking a file while downloading stuff

My disk station is no where near as powerful as his computer, its just a NAS.

I did have issues with SAB if I was playing a videogame and the file was pretty messed up and need a ton of repair when I ran SAB on my system.

edit: No I'm not suggesting this product unless you also are looking into building some file storage so you can shut your expensive gaming computer off at night and still receive nightly builds the second they come out. I mean how else are you going to store it all?

pixaal fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 21, 2014

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Not sure if this fits in here:
Other euro goons having issues with Supernews delivering 30%ish of capacity? Taking off SSL and changing ports doesn't seem to have any effects. 30 connections used to net me more than 2.5MB/s
Can this be a ISP issue?

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Anyone have suggestions for a good ios SAB front end that supports nzbs.org or let's you add your own indexers? Everything on the App Store looks terrible and Qouch doesn't support nzbs.org.

Any other suggestions for getting nzbs from indexers to my SAB client over the internet would help too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've always used MyNZB , it's basic but it does the job (and supports nabs.org). It supports iPhone 5 screen size but for some reason doesn't have multitasking built in even though it's been available for years, which can be a bit annoying. It was $1 from memory, have used it for about 3 or 4 years without any major issues.

Although, it looks like it might have been pulled from the App Store? It's telling me this forwarding link isn't available on the UK store anyway - http://t.co/wAGKYwQa - there's another one called MyNZBGrab but I don't think it's related and doesn't look quite as good.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm pretty sure Apple started killing off all the NZB stuff out there. I still have myNZB and it's great, but iOS7 broke the Pause For X Minutes feature.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
Anyone else getting connection issues with nzb.su?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Wedge Regret

Uldor posted:

Anyone else getting connection issues with nzb.su?

Yup, right when I was considering renewing VIP. Meh

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Same, I hoping my password-reset request at Newztown doesn't take too long getting received by my lovely throwaway email service.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!

NZB.SU posted:

We're Making some changes / back in a bit

in the meantime, go here to see updates: howdoiuse.net

Box took a little poop last night, we're cleaning it up--back soon

So apparently its just temp at least

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Trillest Parrot posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a good ios SAB front end that supports nzbs.org or let's you add your own indexers? Everything on the App Store looks terrible and Qouch doesn't support nzbs.org.

Any other suggestions for getting nzbs from indexers to my SAB client over the internet would help too.

I use SABmini which is great. My only complaint is that you always have to select your server from a list when you start using the app. Good if you have several servers, but it should automatically connect and skip that screen if you only have one server set up.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Nevett posted:

I use SABmini which is great. My only complaint is that you always have to select your server from a list when you start using the app. Good if you have several servers, but it should automatically connect and skip that screen if you only have one server set up.

Tap and hold on the server, set as default. Not very obvious I know.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

Nevett posted:

Perfect, thanks!

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Softcox posted:

Tap and hold on the server, set as default. Not very obvious I know.

Thank you!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I downloaded a file with an é in the name. It goes into some sort of purgatory where I can see the folder, but when I try to open the folder it says the folder doesn't exist.

I have Replace Illegal Characters in Folder Names enabled, but is there a way to get SAB to try harder?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
How do you guys manage your sound library? Currently mine is a big mess with stuff named differently and partly on my NAS partly on my laptop.
Is there any easy solution, something like Sickbeard, but for sound libraries where you can easily manage it etc.. without the hurdles of iTunes?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Guy Axlerod posted:

I downloaded a file with an é in the name. It goes into some sort of purgatory where I can see the folder, but when I try to open the folder it says the folder doesn't exist.

I have Replace Illegal Characters in Folder Names enabled, but is there a way to get SAB to try harder?

For the directory itself, open a command prompt and dir /x. What does it give you for the 8.2 name? That might let you rename it with ren or delete it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
This is running on on my NAS, so I could SSH in and delete it. But it still screws up my normal automation workflow.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Update script on couchpotato was broken in my bsd machine forever and I was too lazy to fix it. Until today. Holy poo poo has couchpotato gotten some much needed love. I think my version was almost 2 years old.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Guy Axlerod posted:

This is running on on my NAS, so I could SSH in and delete it. But it still screws up my normal automation workflow.

Sometimes you just gotta baby things along.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xgalaxy posted:

Update script on couchpotato was broken in my bsd machine forever and I was too lazy to fix it. Until today. Holy poo poo has couchpotato gotten some much needed love. I think my version was almost 2 years old.

I hope you've not upgraded to the latest Binary release on Windows, because it's been absolutely buggered for ages. I think the fixes are in place on the github version, so waiting for a new binary rollout.

e: ah you even said BSD in your post, you're clear.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 27, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Checking in to say that when you DO leave your server on 24/7, sickbeard is pretty sweet.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
A Sickbeard question - Is there a way to 'force' Sickbeard to post-process? After SAB has finished downloading an episode, it can be 15 minutes or so before SB picks it up and moves it around. If there are a lot of eps, it can take over an hour. What's the trigger for post-processing, is there a time-cycle that can be changed, and is there a number of post-processing eps it grabs at a time? For instance, SB finds and sends 10 eps to SAB, SAB queues and downloads - SB seems to only post-process 2-3 at a time, every 15 or so minutes, taking about 90 minutes to complete post-processing. A very minor thing, but something I wish I understood.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Use the postprocessing script included with Sickbeard. Either move it to your SAB scripts dir or if you don't have other SAB scripts you can be lazy and point SAB at the Sickbeard script dir. That way it'll postproc the second SAB finishes with it.

Make sure to disable the automatic folder checks if you use the postproc script.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

wolrah posted:

Use the postprocessing script included with Sickbeard. Either move it to your SAB scripts dir or if you don't have other SAB scripts you can be lazy and point SAB at the Sickbeard script dir. That way it'll postproc the second SAB finishes with it.
Cool - I am lazy. (and don't have any other SAB scripts) - is it the same postprocessing script Sickbeard runs on it's own - this just get's it to run on immediate completion?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

porktree posted:

Cool - I am lazy. (and don't have any other SAB scripts) - is it the same postprocessing script Sickbeard runs on it's own - this just get's it to run on immediate completion?

SAB runs the script and feeds it the folder of the completed download, optionally with a friendly name if provided by the indexer. The script then literally just calls http://<sickbeard IP+port>/home/postprocess/processEpisode with those parameters, and Sickbeard handles the rest internally the same way as if you had used the manual postprocess option.

If you have sickbeard on a non-standard port you'll have to edit autoProcessTV.cfg in the sickbeard scripts directory, otherwise it's automagic.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Dunno if anyone needs another indexer, but pfmonkey is open reg right now: http://pfmonkey.com/register

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I'm having a weird issue with my setup. I'm a fairly casually user with the latest sabnzbd on Windows 7 and a cable internet connection. The last few weeks, anytime I start downloading something, within about 5-10 minutes my internet connection goes out. The little yellow exclamation mark appears over the Network icon in the task bar and the only way to get it back online is to power cycle the modem and router. It never used to do this and I'd routinely download at 2.5+ MB/sec. I've noticed that if I limit the download speed to 1.2 MB/s, the internet won't go out -- but then again just today, for the first time it actually did go out while downloading at 1.2 MB.

About a month ago Cox (the cable company) was doing some work on their system and I'm wondering if they did something to make this happen. Also, my cable modem is pretty old, like 5+ years. I'm wondering if some network upgrades on their part and my old modem are creating the issue.

Anyone experience anything similar?

visuvius fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 31, 2014

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

visuvius posted:

I'm having a weird issue with my setup. I'm a fairly casually user with the latest sabnzbd on Windows 7 and a cable internet connection. The last few weeks, anytime I start downloading something, within about 5-10 minutes my internet connection goes out. The little yellow exclamation mark appears over the Network icon in the task bar and the only way to get it back online is to power cycle the modem and router. It never used to do this and I'd routinely download at 2.5+ MB/sec. I've noticed that if I limit the download speed to 1.2 MB/s, the internet won't go out -- but then again just today, for the first time it actually did go out while downloading at 1.2 MB.

About a month ago Cox (the cable company) was doing some work on their system and I'm wondering if they did something to make this happen. Also, my cable modem is pretty old, like 5+ years. I'm wondering if some network upgrades on their part and my old modem are creating the issue.

Anyone experience anything similar?

I had a similar problem about a year ago. If I was downloading at peak speed, the modem would reboot itself and I'd lose internet for a minute or two. After doing some diagnostics over the phone with the cable co, they sent out a replacement modem and I haven't had any problems since. My modem was also around 5 years old at the time. If you're leasing the modem from the cable co, they should be able to send you a new one.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Next time it happens try rebooting the modem or router independently to see which one being reset resolves the problem. Should be one or the other, and that will be the piece of faulty equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Sub Rosa posted:

Next time it happens try rebooting the modem or router independently to see which one being reset resolves the problem. Should be one or the other, and that will be the piece of faulty equipment.

Bet the modem isn't DOCSIS 3.0