Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You may not need 3/4 drive, but you certainly don't need to be breaking 1/2 drive stuff either. I love 3/4 drive because I can go full hulk mode on it even if it's chinesium and never worry about breaking it, while I have to constantly worry about breaking 1/2 drive stuff if something's really stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

InitialDave posted:

They're a wall-drive design, so it shouldn't be a major issue - and with it being a breaker and tommy bar rather than a ratchet, the smaller angle between potential fits does have an advantage.

What do you mean by a wall drive design?

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I've got the same halfords 3/4" set and it has proved pretty handy when needed. It's annoying that the blow moulded box is done for a ratchet though and they just stick the breaker bar into it.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Power tools: I can see me needing a new battery drill soon and this might be the time I do it properly, any brand recommendations? Anyone use the ryobi one plus system?

Yes. I have this set and I love it. It's fantastic for the price and well beyond adequate for a weekend-warrior household project uses: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-One-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-P882/203406854

But whatever you buy be sure to get an impact driver included. I find the impact more useful than the plain drill and everyone should have one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dyne posted:

What do you mean by a wall drive design?
The geometry of the socket is designed to put the load slightly further in toward the centre face of each flat, rather than on the corners, which reduces the chance of rounding. If you look at most good quality sockets, the corners are slightly relieved away from the points of the head they fit on to.

I twist apart threads and shanks a lot more often than I round off heads.

Colonel K posted:

I've got the same halfords 3/4" set and it has proved pretty handy when needed. It's annoying that the blow moulded box is done for a ratchet though and they just stick the breaker bar into it.
Hah, yeah, I noticed that. I'd rather have had a ratchet, but I guess that would make it quite a bit more expensive.

Rechargeable tool question: My friend has been given an AEG rechargeable drill, 12v I think, but the battery packs seem to be rather lacking in capacity. Tell me about repacking them with standard cells.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 20, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Slice it open, count the cells, buy new ones (with tabs spot welded on) solder together, repack case. I did this at a previous job and pocketed the difference (maybe £45 each?) for about 5 packs. Got it down to about an hour.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Any comments/reviews on the Rockwell Jawhorse? I was looking at the sheetmaster version. I don't really have room for a workbench in my garage but this looks like it would offer a ton of versatility.

edit: too late, bought the sheetmaster jawhorse

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 21, 2014

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I need to get some more shelving for my garage and am having a hard time deciding what to do.

Currently I have two shelves made with something like these and the two foot long shelf brackets with a hefty piece of plywood set on top. Works pretty well, and they've been up for going on 4 years now, but I'm still hesitant to set something very heavy on them.

I'm still in the process of cleaning up the garage, so I'm not 100% sure yet how much shelving I'll actually need. So far I've thought about making a freestanding shelf out of wood, but I figure by the time I buy the wood and the effort spent building it, I'd come out better just buying something like this. I don't plan on putting anything super heavy on them, but the ability to hold a couple hundred pounds and have adjustable height would be a big bonus. Being able to take it with me when I move in a couple years would be even better. What is everyone else doing for shelving solutions? Should I just go with something similar to the setup I have already? Ideally having 2'-3' under the first shelf would be great so I could have stuff on the floor underneath as well.

e: Anyone used these Blitz Boxes? Dude at work was telling me about them and I could definitely see a use for these somewhere if they hold up well.

I drive a BBW fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 21, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have a steel shelve like the Lowes link you posted. Maybe the same one. The particle board deck surface is kind of flimsy. I stored a few bags of lawn products and ice melter on the bottom shelf and the decking is so warped that it's basically destroyed.

My dad can barely use a hammer but he got sturdy results from these bracket things and a pile of cheap 2x4s. Went together pretty quickly too.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...CFVQV7AodDx0A9g

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If I buy shelves and they come with particle board it gets tossed and replaced with 3/4" CDX. Though I usually build shelves with 3/4" CDX, 2x4 stringers under them, and something incredibly overbuilt for vertical supports. I'm pretty sure I could stack the shelves in my storage unit with Subaru engines end to end and they wouldn't sag.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I love new tools:

Christmas presents that I'm finally getting to use, new bike work stand and (kinda) my new tool chests. Why didn't I buy a proper toolbox sooner this beats the piss out of having lumped together in one box.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm in the market for a corded powerdrill. Usually DeWalt is my go-to brand, but their quality definitely isn't what it used to be. I was leaning towards a Milwaukee drill. Any suggestions?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Bosch is another quality brand too. Pricy but awesome in terms of battery life!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got a Milwaukee Model #0234-6 5.5-Amp 1/2" with a keyed chuck and look it's even on sale. It's an older design that's been around a while because it's excellent and is much better than the higher amp version that sort of replaced it*. All the important bits are metal and the wear parts are designed to be replaced instead of throwing away the whole thing and buying a new one. The trigger is smooth and actually allows you to vary the speed with a reasonable amount of precision unlike a lot of the newer designs (from all the manufacturers) which are gritty and awful. The cord detaches at the base of the drill so when you stuff the thing in a box the strain relief doesn't sit at 90* and fail like every other drill I've had. Also it has a 5 year warranty.

*It sort of seems like they are phasing the thing out but there are tons of them out there so I'm not sure.

Galler fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 25, 2014

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Galler posted:

I've got a Milwaukee Model #0234-6 5.5-Amp 1/2" with a keyed chuck and look it's even on sale. It's an older design that's been around a while because it's excellent and is much better than the higher amp version that sort of replaced it*. All the important bits are metal and the wear parts are designed to be replaced instead of throwing away the whole thing and buying a new one. The trigger is smooth and actually allows you to vary the speed with a reasonable amount of precision unlike a lot of the newer designs (from all the manufacturers) which are gritty and awful. The cord detaches at the base of the drill so when you stuff the thing in a box the strain relief doesn't sit at 90* and fail like every other drill I've had. Also it has a 5 year warranty.

*It sort of seems like they are phasing the thing out but there are tons of them out there so I'm not sure.

That thing looks like a workhorse, I honestly have not seen a sturdy corded drill like that in ages. Everyone on the jobsite uses cordless to avoid extension cords on nearly every tool. Fond memories of electrical tape holding a key on the cord.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

StormDrain posted:

That thing looks like a workhorse, I honestly have not seen a sturdy corded drill like that in ages. Everyone on the jobsite uses cordless to avoid extension cords on nearly every tool. Fond memories of electrical tape holding a key on the cord.
I have the same drill. Wouldn't trade it for anything. I also have a m18 1/2 hammer drill. I always go for the extension cord.

[quote="blk96gt" post="424726877"]
Currently I have two shelves made with something like these and the two foot long shelf brackets with a hefty piece of plywood set on top. Works pretty well, and they've been up for going on 4 years now, but I'm still hesitant to set something very heavy on them.
[\quote]

I I donated 3-400 lbs off the rusty shelf this summer. Been holding strong for eight years. Hope to get ride of the non-bike stuff at Back to the 50s this year.
The tracks are pretty strong, and fairly inexpensive. I buy mine at Menards, cheaper than Lowes, and they're marked Made In USA. I Throw away the junk screws that come with them and use some #8 or #10 screws.

Pardon the mess, I was out there clearing floorspace for an unexpected brake job.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I ended up picking up one of these Husky shelves and replaced the metal grating that came with it with some 3/4" plywood. That shelf is pretty drat solid.

So, now that I've got the garage clean and organized, I got a yes from the wife to pick up a mig welder. My main requirements are 120v and ability to use gas or flux-cored. I've been eyeing the Hobart Handler 140 for a while now. Anyone have any opinions on it? Don't plan on welding any super thick metals, mostly sheet metal, exhaust, steel tubing, I don't think I'd ever see anything over 1/4". I've got a decent amount of Lowes gift cards as well, so I was looking at their Lincoln welders they have in stock too. How do they compare to the Hobart? Luckily, Lowes sells Amazon gift cards, so if the Lincoln welder doesn't compare to the Hobart, I'll just buy some Amazon cards!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What are good snap ring pliers? I thought I saw a post about them a week or two ago, but I'll be damned if I can find it now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

What are good snap ring pliers? I thought I saw a post about them a week or two ago, but I'll be damned if I can find it now.
To be honest, even cheapo ones are fine as long as they're indvidivual tools - avoid the kind where you have a universal handle which you put different jaws on, they're complete poo poo.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I have had a set of $5 Craftsman snap ring pliers for about 3 years and they've been great. It's got the switch that lets you choose between inside/outside snap rings. It's not broken yet. A++++ would snap ring again.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Killer. Any suggestions on toolboxes for the back of a 4x4? The one I've got right now is a lovely craftsman plastic deal (something like this, though I bought it a few years ago), and I've got a few problems with it.
  • It's completely full. (I'm not likely to add MANY more tools, but a bit of breathing room would be nice.)
  • It's impossible to organize, because it doesn't have any drawers.
  • This also makes it difficult to access things quickly.
  • It's plastic. (Not a total dealbreaker, but it does need to be rather durable.)

Edit: Something along these lines might work. Any other brands I should look at?

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 27, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I dunno about toolboxes for one, but my 17" Husky hardsided toolbag has been holding together for around 6 months now being dragged to the junkyard once a week, left in the back of the jeep ratchet strapped to the spare tire so it won't tip over, and bounced around driving at lightspeed over anything.

All that with 80-100lbs of tools in it. drat near everything required to fix anything on a jeep.

This one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-17-in-Open-Tool-Tote-82002N11/203224201

I doubt anyone would believe me if I posted a full list of what I have packed in there in an organized manner.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

http://www.amazon.com/Martin-PL1465K-Piece-Plier-Plastic/dp/B004JN0S3I

These snap ring pliers are so cool, but there is no way I paid 100 dollars for those, I think it was more like 60.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

kastein posted:

I doubt anyone would believe me if I posted a full list of what I have packed in there in an organized manner.

Post it and let us judge you.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

Post it and let us judge you.

Alright, you asked for it :v:

This is probably not complete, I forget what's in some pockets.

HF orange plastic deadblow hammer
Stanley engineers 4lb hand sledge
full set of craftsman external torx sockets
full set of shallow metric impact 1/2 drive
full set of deep SAE impact 1/2 drive
full set of SAE allen bits
full set of metric allen bits
full set of Torx bits
two 1/4 ratchets, a 3/8 ratchet, a 1/2 ratchet, a 1/2 Husky breaker bar
five each of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 extension bars
two 7/8 box wrenches
15/16, 1 1/16, and 21mm box wrenches
full set of SAE gearwrenches
full set of metric gearwrenches
dana 44 spindle nut socket (huge)
two dana 60 spindle nut sockets (huge)
3/4 drive 1 5/16 socket
3/4 drive 1 7/16 socket
30mm and 36mm 1/2 drive sockets
full set of assorted extension bar ujoints and adapters from 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 to all the others
full set of metric adjustable crowsfoot style gearwrenches
10mm deep, 11mm deep, 12mm deep, 13mm deep, 14mm ultra shallow, 15mm ultra shallow, 16mm ultra shallow sockets
snapon 312cp long reach diagonal cutters
Wyse tin snips
several pairs of visegrips
a handful of punches and chisels
a stanley locking adjustable wrench
half a dozen flat blade and phillips screwdrivers
5/16 6 point box wrench
AMC/Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep clutch alignment tool
GM 60 degree V6 clutch alignment tool
8lb full-handle sledge cut down into the world's most brutal hand sledge
Husky 3/4" breaker bar
utility knife
Craftsman snapring and lockring pliers, one each
8 and 10mm nutdrivers
SAE and metric allen wrench foldup multitools
13 and 14mm 1/2 drive 12 point sockets
full set 12 point 3/8 drive SAE sockets
full set 12 point 3/8 drive metric sockets
1/2 drive 1 1/16, 1 1/8, and 1 1/4 sockets
steering wheel puller set
lug stud press tool
a large bottle of antiseize
3/16 brass punch
spark plug chaser
full set (3x) spark plug sockets
large harbor freight bearing separator kit
Sears multi-ton (forget exactly what spec, LARGE) 3 jaw bearing puller
pitman arm puller
9/16" and 5/8" allen wrenches (yes, you read that right, they're about a foot long each.)
mini channel-locks
medium channel-locks
3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 10mm, and 11mm flare wrenches
a handful of assorted small box wrenches I always need
9/16 stubby gearwrench
deep 1/4 drive 12pt SAE socket set
deep 3/8 drive 12pt SAE socket set
e: there is a krikit II serp belt tensioner in there too. And a handful each of angle grinder 4.5" cutoff wheels and sawzall blades.

I'm sure there are at least 6 things I'm forgetting, but I'll be damned if I can think of what they are. It's HEAVY. The funny thing is, every time I go to lighten the drat thing up, I realize I use most of these things on a reasonably frequent basis. I keep it all in one bag so I can throw that, the torque wrench, a cheater pipe, and a few other things in whatever I'm driving that day and know I have everything I will ever need. I've done repairs on the side of the road in 20 minutes most people would consider cause to call out of work and ring up AAA for a flatbed.

My toolbag quadruples the value of the jeep it's placed in. Literally - nothing I drive is worth more than $500, or somewhat over $2k with the tools aboard.

And it's all organized well enough that I can have any one of the most commonly used ones in my hand in 5 seconds without really looking, and any of the others in my hand within 30 seconds. This is why I get pissed when people put my tools back in the wrong goddamn spot, I'd rather they put them next to the toolbag in a pile so I can put them back properly.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 27, 2014

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

(everything)

How on earth do you pack three large hammers, pullers, and that many sockets? I imagine most of the handled tools and wrenches fit in the pockets, but I can't figure the sockets. Do you have them on rails?

foundtomorrow
Feb 10, 2007

kastein posted:

This is probably not complete, I forget what's in some pockets.

Huge list of tools

Let's see a pic of this thing. Impressive.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'll have to take a pic after work tomorrow. It's a tight fit. All the full sets of sockets are on rails, yes.

And yeah that is drat near every tool I own for working on cars, aside from the balljoint press and adapter kit, GM steering column kit, and power tools.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 27, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That's impressive! With what we do, I really need an enclosed box, though, so I don't think it'll work for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

My toolbag quadruples the value of the jeep it's placed in. Literally - nothing I drive is worth more than $500, or somewhat over $2k with the tools aboard.

kastein posted:

And yeah that is drat near every tool I own for working on cars, aside from the balljoint press and adapter kit, GM steering column kit, and power tools.

Man, you need to make sure your insurance knows before that thing walks one day. Sounds like a nice kit, what's it weigh?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

A lot, I'm guessing 80-110 but not really sure honestly.

It's in the back of the jeep right now and I'll be helping my sister do balljoints on her 1980 4cyl 5spd datsun 720 tonight, so if I can find a big enough scale in the shop I'll weigh it and take some pics.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Alright, here ya go. It has half vomited its contents here.

(click for big)

I don't have the 3/4" husky breaker bar in there in that picture, but I could easily fit it - and I forgot about the 20" pipe wrench, C clamp, brake caliper compressor tool, almost complete set of T-handle torx drivers, three gasket scrapers, a handful of metal files, set of Harbor Freight quick-ratchets (the little ones that fit 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive and are basically just the business end of a ratchet with no handle on it), funnel, brake bleeding hose, tubing cutter, and another few things that were in there, so it evens out :v:

None of our scales are large enough that I felt comfortable putting it on them. My calibrated right arm says around 100lbs.

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 28, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
gently caress this wind chill below zero poo poo, someone recommend their favorite jump box. With a meaty on/off switch please.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've been meaning to post about this and finally remembered.

Anyone here ever use one of these thread repair kits?

http://www.nes.co.il/

I actually had one at the shop and used one to fix a buggered up axle bolt on a BMW bike and the thing works like a champ.

http://www.nes.co.il/158905/Nes-1017-External-4-19-mm-5-32-3-4-Internal-8-20-mm-5-16-13-16

I was surprised at how well it worked and having the basic tool which encompasses SAE/metric/whatever threads is cool as hell.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
How challenging is it to properly repair threads? I have a trailing arm bolt that I think is stripped. I was gonna pay a shop to do it but I'd rather just learn how. I'm less worried about the cost of the tools are more concerned about damaging the car further with inexperience.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

How challenging is it to properly repair threads? I have a trailing arm bolt that I think is stripped. I was gonna pay a shop to do it but I'd rather just learn how. I'm less worried about the cost of the tools are more concerned about damaging the car further with inexperience.

That really depends on where/what/how bad it is.

All you are doing is drilling out out further, running a tap through to thread it to a larger size, and then inserting something that threads into the size you just made and has the original size pre-threaded on the inside.

This is all easy - IF you can accurately drill the existing hole out flat, straight and centered. Sometimes access is the issue. Sometimes really screwed up threads and/or bolt removal makes this so difficult that little less than a milling machine will ever get the initial hole straight and centered again.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Splizwarf posted:

gently caress this wind chill below zero poo poo, someone recommend their favorite jump box. With a meaty on/off switch please.

I managed to pick up a 300A Stanely jumpit, seems to work OK, although it loses a lot of power due to being cold just sitting in my trunk.

I am thinking of tearing the thing apart and replacing the sealed leadacid battery with a few lithium polymer packs.

Should do better in subzero temps.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Looks like there's a nice clearance deal on kastein's toolbag (or at least a slightly smaller version), you can get it and 2 other bags for $15: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-...3_0_0_0&cj=true

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

kastein posted:

I probably have about the same amount of each... and I'm up to like 20 3/4 drive sockets.

My rule is, if I break a 1/2 drive off on a fastener, I get a 3/4 drive socket in that size. I play for keeps.

Applies to hammers, too, broke the 4lb so it was time for the 8 pounder.

The nice thing about 3/4 drive is that it's so comically oversized for most things I do that HF and parts store house-brand sockets are absolutely fine. I think I paid $8 for my axle/hub nut socket, and my 1 ton pinion nut socket cost me $3 for a used Craftsman.

We're up to 1" drive on some stuff now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I bought a ryobi one+ drill, 2 year warranty gives me some confidence. As they had 30% off I got the 4ah battery and the vacuum as well. Not tried the drill yet but the vacuum is incredible :v:

The only downside I've discovered yet is that the included charger is 450mah, and I got a 4ah battery for it.