Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tithin Melias posted:

Is there any easier way to watch endurance runs than to try and sort through pages to find them?

Watching Persona 4 and getting irritated at having to close pages, and open new ones to watch them.

Watch them on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=persona+4+endurance+run+playlist&sm=3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The slight desynch between Alex's voice and his webcam in the new Encyclopedia Bombastica is kind of weirding me out. I'm guessing that's an XSplit thing?

EDIT: Weirdly, the actual game is synched perfectly. It's just poor Alex. Weird!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 26, 2014

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Rirse posted:

Is there a list of all Gameroom videos. I know there is the playlist on the second post, but it actually missing one or two videos.

I tried making a youtube playlist of them and uploading the missing ones myself, since for some reason GB skipped like ten weeks of the game room when they moved stuff to youtube, but a bunch of them kept breaking during the upload for reasons I don't understand. So there's a handful that are only 5 minutes long or cut off at the wrong time, and if anyone manages to get working versions of those on youtube, let me know here or there and I'll add them instead.

Until then, the gameroom video page on GB is kind of the closest thing to a full playlist that there is.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Dunno if anyone mentioned it already, but qlcrew.com lets you create M3U or YouTube playlists from any given search.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

asahdeaf posted:

One of my favorite moments was when Jeff bought Sonic Adventure on XBLA out of disgust towards Game Room and then realized halfway through the download that he hated Sonic Adventure.

When did this happen?

asahdeaf
Sep 6, 2010

Rodyle posted:

When did this happen?

I've started rewatching them now and I haven't gotten this far yet, but it was apparently the September 15th Quick Look based on the Google search I just did.

Edit: Watching it now, it's also the Quick Look where Jeff tricks Ryan into coming in on the promise that it's the Bioshock 2 Minerva's Den Quick Look so it's basically the highest point of the Game Room Quick Looks.

asahdeaf fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 26, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Awesome Animals posted:

Anyone else watch that Jazzpunk trailer? It seems interesting enough to check it out. Don't really know what it is though.
The live action part seemed great (probably Adult Swim's own doing?) but the game itself looks like it was made in Unity.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Speaking of Game Room, I am so goddamn angry they never did release Sunset Riders. It's THE arcade game of my childhood. Cormano, gently caress yeah.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Also Jeff is totally right about Pinball FX 2, the ball physics are bad and the tables themselves are dull and lifeless.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Veib posted:

Speaking of Game Room, I am so goddamn angry they never did release Sunset Riders. It's THE arcade game of my childhood. Cormano, gently caress yeah.

That is however the greatest punchline that Gameroom could have ever had.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
There is no advantage to being the big plane. Why would anyone pick to be the big plane?!

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Sunset Riders is the only arcade game I can remember seeing in the wild, I was born too late and too suburban to have ever visited an actual arcade and the hockey rink my brother used to play at had a Sunset Riders machine.

I never got to play it :smith:

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Sunset Riders is #2 on my list of favourite arcade machines from when i was like 7 years old at the sports centre. #1 was the few times we went when there was a Cadillacs and Dinosaurs machine. I should try and find and play them to remind myself of how nostalgia is a lie shaped by ignorance and time

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 26, 2014

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

I didn't say you were bad cupcake, I said you were wrong. It doesn't get to -30 degrees in Colorado all the time, in fact -24 is the record coldest it's ever gotten in Denver. Also flushing salt water through your nose has dubious practical benefits, but if you need a little placebo to feel better, well thats nice.
Shut up forever

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I used to play MKI and II and loving TIMEKILLERS in the arcade as a youngster.

Timekillers, the game where you can instantly kill your opponent if you hit the right buttons as soon as the match starts.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Simpsons arcade game was the best, as long as you played for like 5 minutes at a time.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Capcom's Alien Vs. Predator.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

halwain posted:

I started watching some of the Chrono Trigger endurance run videos.
Whats wrong with people in the comments :stare:

You don't understand, they're playing Chrono Trigger wrong.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I feel like I really missed out on arcades - by my time the only arcades that existed were only at small holiday resorts, and they only had slot machines, a racing game and then a couple lightgun games, probably the House of the Dead ones. In my life I have literally never seen an arcade that holds the kind of games that Game Room would have. It's all about bad gambling addictions and claw machines.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The arcades I went to had Sunset Riders so they're nothing like game room. :colbert:

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Arcades are wierd. Why would I go to a arcade, and pay to play MK; when I could sit on a comfy couch and play it for free on my Genesis.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Popy posted:

Arcades are wierd. Why would I go to a arcade, and pay to play MK; when I could sit on a comfy couch and play it for free on my Genesis.

Because we were living in a society, and there was a social aspect to it.

Plus you could score drugs and loose women at the shittier (re:better) arcades.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Popy posted:

I get what you mean there, but it sounds there was a culture to old arcades that you can only find now by going to some fighting game convention and playing with the crazy high level players. Like, just playing MK with a random people with a mutual interest, seeing people while you do it, casual as hell. Just holding a mini tournament you could stand a chance in. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what arcades were really like because I have only seen media recreations of them, but they seem rad. Just seems like there was a weird aesthetic to it that games today don't really have.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Popy posted:

1) It's fun to meet up with friends and play games together.

2) The dude who's not playing any games sitting by the darker corner of the arcade with the busted pinball machine? He will sell you drugs.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Were arcades really such a hotbed for low level drug deals? I'd never really heard that much until now. Haha, that sounds crazy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Another Person posted:

Were arcades really such a hotbed for low level drug deals? I'd never really heard that much until now. Haha, that sounds crazy.

Lots of dark corners and kids who think hardcore drugs is a dimebag.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Another Person posted:

I feel like I really missed out on arcades - by my time the only arcades that existed were only at small holiday resorts, and they only had slot machines, a racing game and then a couple lightgun games, probably the House of the Dead ones. In my life I have literally never seen an arcade that holds the kind of games that Game Room would have. It's all about bad gambling addictions and claw machines.
Disney World had an entire building that was a giant arcade that was glorious but no longer exists. The only place where I used to regularly see arcade machines the likes you saw in Game Room were on the ferry routes from Long Island to Connecticut.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 26, 2014

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
There are a few Arcade bars here in Chicago. One doesn't charge for the machines and the other all the machines are only $0.25 to play. The former is more fun, and has a ton of pinball including many classics.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Another Person posted:

poo poo yeah.

I've been to arcades that looked like something out of Blade Runner. Low light, neon everywhere, gangs of street punks taking over entire sections of the arcade. All-seeing, all-knowing arcade bosses sitting on their raised dais, decked out in enough chrome and strobes like they were alien ships descending for heaven. Spinning records at ear-shattering volume, dispensing quarters to kids while scoping out the fresh bush on offer. Playing Zaxxon or Mappy, while pulsating red lights and and endless din assult you from every angle, while people crowd around and cheer you,; men who wanted to be you, women who wanted to be with you. Underfoot, a carpet of pop-rocks, cherry coke, and possibly an 8th grader who drank too much while high on Xevious.

I've seen some poo poo man! I spent years in arcades man, but I'm back in the world now. It's been tough readjusting to non-gamer life, but I've had help along the way. Some days you wake up in a sweat, diving under the bed when you hear that 8-bit sine-wave explosion, only to realize it's a kid next door playing an emulator. Those days are the worst, but I get by man.

I get by.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I played Sunset Riders at the sports centre after judo practice in 1992 or so. They also had at least Green Beret (aka Rush'n Attack) and a Nintendo PlayChoice-10 cabinet (the only game I remember is Pro Wrestling*) over the years. My small home town never had any real arcades, just a few random machines in places like that, malls and the local spa. Those are all long gone, of course.

*I remember this only because there's a character called The Amazon, and as a 7-8 -year old I didn't know that much English yet, so I asked my older sister what does the "the" mean in the name. She told me it's an article, and this lead to me wondering what the hell kind of a name is "Article Amazon" supposed to be.

(Of course Green Beret could've also been a part of the PlayChoice-10 instead of the arcade version, but I think they were separate and it's been over twenty years and who cares about those games anyway they weren't Sunset Riders.)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

There was a pretty badass arcade in Seaside on the boardwalk that had a shitload of old games and pinball machines, including a Hercules table! There was a whole room just full of old arcade versions of atari and nintendo games.

Probably all out in the ocean now. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weirdest thing about arcades is how as a subculture it didn't really last all that long. While arcades are still around their heyday was from the late 70s to the early 90s, maybe 15 years altogether.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

poo poo yeah.

I've been to arcades that looked like something out of Blade Runner. Low light, neon everywhere, gangs of street punks taking over entire sections of the arcade. All-seeing, all-knowing arcade bosses sitting on their raised dais, decked out in enough chrome and strobes like they were alien ships descending for heaven. Spinning records at ear-shattering volume, dispensing quarters to kids while scoping out the fresh bush on offer. Playing Zaxxon or Mappy, while pulsating red lights and and endless din assult you from every angle, while people crowd around and cheer you,; men who wanted to be you, women who wanted to be with you. Underfoot, a carpet of pop-rocks, cherry coke, and possibly an 8th grader who drank too much while high on Xevious.

I've seen some poo poo man! I spent years in arcades man, but I'm back in the world now. It's been tough readjusting to non-gamer life, but I've had help along the way. Some days you wake up in a sweat, diving under the bed when you hear that 8-bit sine-wave explosion, only to realize it's a kid next door playing an emulator. Those days are the worst, but I get by man.

I get by.

sick story, hwo does it end?

All seriousness, anyone know any cool arcades that are still going in the UK that are worth dropping by if I get the chance?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Another Person posted:

sick story, hwo does it end?

End? Dude, I'm still living it!

Seriously though, that story was only about 2% exaggeration. I've seen some seriously hosed up arcades.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
A large chunk of my childhood was spent in the middle east as an expat and we had a free rec center which had all kinds of old arcade machines including a neo-geo machine with a bunch of mvs carts which the superintendent would swap out on request. It was all free as well.

Another Person posted:

All seriousness, anyone know any cool arcades that are still going in the UK that are worth dropping by if I get the chance?

You find them at traditional seaside resorts still but the machines they have are mostly modern; Dance Dance Revolution or twin driving seat racing games and similar.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I can imagine some arcades being pretty gnarly places on the inside. Populated by nerds with poor sanitary standards who don't give a poo poo about the wellbeing of the place, run by seedy bosses who are cheaping out on the cleaning bill. Every surface sticky with years of spilt slushy drinks and sodas, an inch of gum on the underside of the all the machines and a smell in the air that can only be described as festering.

E: as a poor guy from a poor family, I have been on holidays to seaside resorts quite a bit, from Blackpool to Great Yarmouth. Rhyl is basically down the street from me and I have somehow had a holiday there. I've been in all those kinds of arcade, but those are of the gambling focussed variety I mentioned earlier. They aren't about games, they are about slots and penny falls. The height of game is as you mention, a dance machine, a racing game and House of the Dead 2. It is always 2. I mean a proper, arcadey arcade, like you would see in old movies from the eighties, with real games. Think the arcade in Terminator 2.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 26, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Another Person posted:

Yeah, I can imagine some arcades being pretty gnarly places on the inside. Populated by nerds with poor sanitary standards who don't give a poo poo about the wellbeing of the place, run by seedy bosses who are cheaping out on the cleaning bill. Every surface sticky with years of spilt slushy drinks and sodas, an inch of gum on the underside of the all the machines and a smell in the air that can only be described as festering.

Yeap, this perfectly describes some of the shittier arcades I've been to.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Arcade machines were nearly exclusively in fish and chip shops, here. There were normal arcades, of course, but most people my age would have played stuff at the chip shop, waiting with their dad for their Friday night dinner.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The closest thing I had to an arcade growing up was a bowling alley that actually had a pretty good game room attached to it. It wasn't the seedy underbelly full of drugs that you all describe, but a lot of us young punks hung out there and played whatever. Some of the stuff they had was cool and you couldn't get it on a home console, like the weird hologram games or racing games where the seat moved and whatnot.

I guess it all sort of migrated into Dave & Busters and the like nowadays. Which at least serves booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

The only arcades i've seen in the wild was in Italy on a "school" trip.

• Locked thread