Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
gently caress all y'all I bought all four of them and I will sleep well tonight for having done so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

One of the nerdiest public spaces in one of the nerdiest cities, a comic book store in San Francisco, regularly contains zero people who read Homestuck.

It's really not as mainstream as you think.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DaveKap posted:

regularly contains zero people who read Homestuck.

How can you be so sure of that? Were you there to witness it happen?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Cat Mattress posted:

How can you be so sure of that? Were you there to witness it happen?

He's always been there.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

RZApublican posted:

Yeah, there's pretty much no way this is going to be internet-only.

I don't have an issue with Hot Topic, but it's really weird to think of this being sold in stores. It's like the internet is starting to leak into the real world. I mean, I know it has in a lot of ways, but seeing something like this really makes it strike home.

Also the animated adaptation of Homestuck when it inevitably comes out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JohnnyCanuck posted:

He's always been there.

Aaand he reads Homestuck. Trap sprung! :v:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't have an issue with Hot Topic, but it's really weird to think of this being sold in stores. It's like the internet is starting to leak into the real world. I mean, I know it has in a lot of ways, but seeing something like this really makes it strike home.

Also the animated adaptation of Homestuck when it inevitably comes out.

There are plenty of webcomics that've put out physical books you can find at comic book stores, not to mention posters, board and card games, etc. Hell, PAX grew out of Penny Arcade. It might be strange to anyone who's old enough to recall a time when the internet was more of a secret clubhouse, but as the years wear on it's integrating with the rest of popular culture.

Still, Homestuck feels like a bit of a weird property to get this kind of attention, specifically because it's only got one big update left and then the game. It's not really a franchise with legs unless Hussie decides to make a sequel or some such thing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So here's where this thread went. I was afraid that the mods decided to cancel it until Homestuck updated again, fearing that we were going OT.

Here in Italy we don't have Hot Topic, but from what I can tell from the website they have a lot of different merchandises. Maybe they hope to cater to the Homestuck crowd to expand their clientele? The average fan of Hussie's work certainly is a fan of other stuff, and Hot Topic could sell merchandise of it to them, after luring them in their store with the promise of John figurines.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The only surprising thing about Hot Topic pushing Homestuck merch is that it didn't happen sooner, tbh.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Dolash posted:

There are plenty of webcomics that've put out physical books you can find at comic book stores, not to mention posters, board and card games, etc. Hell, PAX grew out of Penny Arcade. It might be strange to anyone who's old enough to recall a time when the internet was more of a secret clubhouse, but as the years wear on it's integrating with the rest of popular culture.

Still, Homestuck feels like a bit of a weird property to get this kind of attention, specifically because it's only got one big update left and then the game. It's not really a franchise with legs unless Hussie decides to make a sequel or some such thing.

Yes the moment something ends they stop selling merch. Good thing Zim is in its 20th season.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Personally I'm looking forward to Nightmare Before Christmas XXI: Jack Goes To St. Patrick's Day Land

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Seoinin posted:

The only surprising thing about Hot Topic pushing Homestuck merch is that it didn't happen sooner, tbh.

If there's one thing Hot Topic is good at, it's merchandising things well after peak popularity. See: everything.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Seoinin posted:

If Hot Topic had stocked and sold troll astrological sign shirts and godtier hoodies when those things were at their trendiest two-three years ago, they would have sold like hotcakes.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Zorak posted:

If there's one thing Hot Topic is good at, it's merchandising things well after peak popularity. See: everything.

Are they still selling those huge raverpants that every high school mall goth had back in 2003?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Thread's talking about this like it's actually happening, though. So far the only non-speculative connection between Hot Topic and Homestuck is Hot Topic being a judge in a tshirt contest.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

Carrasco posted:

Thread's talking about this like it's actually happening, though. So far the only non-speculative connection between Hot Topic and Homestuck is Hot Topic being a judge in a tshirt contest.

I don't think you read that page very thoroughly.

Prizes posted:

Hot Topic's Pick (1): Hot Topic's choice from among the designs will receive $250 cash for the artist, and their design will be available exclusively in Hot Topic Stores.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Two things of note from Andrew Hussie's social media:

...how long has it said did Homestuck and not does Homestuck. Anyone remember?

Also, this is apparently a thing: http://instagram.com/p/jc5FqPnqbd/

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Bobulus posted:

Two things of note from Andrew Hussie's social media:

...how long has it said did Homestuck and not does Homestuck. Anyone remember?

For at least as long as I've been following him, which began in June 2013, I reckon. So no, it's not an oblique admission to having abandoned Honestuck, settle down.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
Does anyone have a mirror for the old Team Special Olympics comics/blog posts?

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Hussie posted an update on the megapause situation on the website.

Looks like even hoping for a 4/13 update is optimistic at this point...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

quote:

introdoucing, 20104............ the NEWD YEAR

Gigapause status: STILL GIGAPAUSED.

It's almost over, right? Um, no, sorry. I still have no time estimate, or specific date I am shooting for. 4/13 would be the COOLEST date to shoot for, right? I doubt that's realistic though. Because in spite of my most religious wishes every single day, magic keeps on being fake. THANKS, "god".

What is the status, then? The status is this. Since pausing, basically all I have been doing is writing. No drawing or animation yet. Writing, writing, writing. Writing for Homestuck, and writing for the adventure game. More time has been allocated to the latter. The game is a big, big project. Let's not kid ourselves here. It's like this whole new major story and everything, fueled by millions of dollars. That's a very different situation from Homestuck, which is usually fueled by approximately zero dollars.

Homestuck probably needs another month of writing before I can start making panels. Not even to speak of Flash work. And of course, game development looms over everything as well. This feels totally different from the usual routine of write-draw-post, write-draw-post, write-draw-post, ad infinitum. Writing everything out beforehand is peculiar. And by peculiar I mean "totally conventional", in most other creative contexts. Let's see how that approach pans out. (You go out on a limb and guess it will result in the same silly bullshit as always.)

WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON?

Kickstarter - Speaking of the game, I sent out a backer update just before the newd year. The same update just went out to paypal backers too (it took a while to set up a system for that). If you backed the project but didn't notice an update, you might want to check your email. If you didn't back it, sorry these updates are <shhhh>secret</shhhh>. I mean, not really. The info gets "leaked" everywhere, if you know where to look. The point is, *I'M* technically not supposed to be the one tell you. Get it? Oh. You don't? Me neither.

One question I feel like I should answer out in the open even though I kinda thought it was obvious (there is no such thing as obvious) since I see it come up so much: yes, you will be able to purchase the game, even if you did not back the Kickstarter!

Contest - In the near future, I'm going to be putting out some neat things through We Love Fine. WLF is a cool company that makes a lot of nice stuff, that you will find particularly interesting if you are into "the fandoms". Do you like fandoms? When I was a kid we didn't even have those. All we had were lovely Atari games, and spankings.

But before they formally launch any Homestuck stuff, they're running a fun shirt design contest. There are sweet cash prizes. Hey, only participate if you think is sounds fun though. Most people won't win, because that's what a contest is, according to the way that common word is classically defined. I ain't out to waste anyone's time! I do hope plenty of people submit designs though. There's some nutty stuff rolling in. People will laugh at me if I pick the naked Gamzee shirt. DON'T MAKE ME PICK THE NAKED GAMZEE SHIRT!

Another Secret Project - Remember a while ago, I mysteriously mumbled something about a secret project? And then it came along, and it turned out to be Namco High? This is like that again. Except it's not a dating sim. Or a game, or anything like that. Also, it doesn't involve video game characters you've never heard of. It is a much more Homestuck-focused thing. That's all I'm gonna say! Ok, I lied, I will say one more thing: it's going to be really cool, and you will wonder where it has been all your life.

Vinyl Figures - These are up in the store now! For actual sale. Hehe... look at em!

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Ten dollars says the secret project is a fully animated short for some off-screen action from Homestuck. Like an Ancestor adventure or something.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

quote:

The game is a big, big project. Let's not kid ourselves here. It's like this whole new major story and everything, fueled by millions of dollars. That's a very different situation from Homestuck, which is usually fueled by approximately zero dollars.

Eh I would argue Homestuck is fueled by dollars to some degree. The cost of hosting the website must be ridiculously high because of the traffic and over thousands of pages of comic. Hussie certainly must see a good profit from the WhatPumpkin store and the printed copies of the comic too. But that's just semantics and he is right that no one gave him two million dollars to make Homestuck.

Really though I think he made a big mistake doing the kickstarter for the game when he did. He was in no way prepared to tackle this project and Namco High and finishing Homestuck all at once. It's been well over a year now and the progress has been ridiculously slow for the game. I question how many people who paid money to kickstart it are even into Homestuck anymore. If April isn't even a good estimate for when the comic will end, we'll probably be looking at it finishing in the summer or fall. Hell, maybe the pause itself will go on for one whole year! :v:

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

lotus circle posted:

Eh I would argue Homestuck is fueled by dollars to some degree. The cost of hosting the website must be ridiculously high because of the traffic and over thousands of pages of comic. Hussie certainly must see a good profit from the WhatPumpkin store and the printed copies of the comic too. But that's just semantics and he is right that no one gave him two million dollars to make Homestuck.

Really though I think he made a big mistake doing the kickstarter for the game when he did. He was in no way prepared to tackle this project and Namco High and finishing Homestuck all at once. It's been well over a year now and the progress has been ridiculously slow for the game. I question how many people who paid money to kickstart it are even into Homestuck anymore. If April isn't even a good estimate for when the comic will end, we'll probably be looking at it finishing in the summer or fall. Hell, maybe the pause itself will go on for one whole year! :v:

While I do think he had too much on his plate when he started the kickstarter, I don't think namco high was a part of the problem. People vastly overstate Andrew's involvement in the project. He didn't do any of the art or writing for it, only creating the vaguest concept of "dating sim" and allowing the use of Homestuck characters, then approving the final results.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I thought he wrote the dialog for Davesprite, Terezi, and Jane?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
No, you can definitely tell they were written by the other writers in the project, since their voices are slightly off, and Davesprite's gone into full super-tumblr-baby mode that Hussie avoided diving into.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tinaun posted:

While I do think he had too much on his plate when he started the kickstarter, I don't think namco high was a part of the problem. People vastly overstate Andrew's involvement in the project. He didn't do any of the art or writing for it, only creating the vaguest concept of "dating sim" and allowing the use of Homestuck characters, then approving the final results.

I highly doubt that's the rough sum of his work on Namco High. He was not creating assets, sure, but that's not in the job description. I'm sure it takes more involvement than vague "idea guy" and rubberstamping assets.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

When it comes down to it, Namco high really isn't that involved as a game.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm glad he's prioritizing the Kickstarter, because failing to do so would probably blow up and bite him on the rear end pretty hard. People don't like getting burned on Kickstarters.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The people who gave to the kickstarter did so because they enjoyed the Homestuck comic, though. If anything, telling people the game would delay the end of Homestuck might've made some people hesitant to support it. So long as he actually finishes the comic he can probably take as long as he wants on the game, since nobody's all hyped up and waiting on tenterhooks for it the same way they are for the main story's conclusion.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am curious what the other secret project is.

It has to be some kind of video thing, or maybe a straight up novel? He sells normal merch all the time so that can't be worth the hype, he specifically linked it to Homestuck, removed it from being part of any game...

Seems like it has to be some kind of animated episode/special/whatever.

Unless he's just SUPER happy about some Karkat mugs he's made.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, Rose's wizard book was based on an early, not-very-published wizard story Hussie was working on back in the day. I could see him digging up his old project, graffiti'ing it as Roxy, and publishing it. It would be a good match with the SBaHJ book.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Zorak posted:

Apparently people still buy and wear Invader Zim bullshit.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Burkion posted:

I am curious what the other secret project is.

It has to be some kind of video thing, or maybe a straight up novel? He sells normal merch all the time so that can't be worth the hype, he specifically linked it to Homestuck, removed it from being part of any game...

Seems like it has to be some kind of animated episode/special/whatever.

Unless he's just SUPER happy about some Karkat mugs he's made.

He sold the rights to a Homestuck anime to Gainax, the only studio WTF-enough to tackle Homestuck.

Only half joking here.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

CidGregor posted:

He sold the rights to a Homestuck anime to Gainax, the only studio WTF-enough to tackle Homestuck.

Only half joking here.

"Get in the loving robot, Eridan."

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

CidGregor posted:

Only half joking here.

I dunno, man, Gainax is pretty WTF, but...

Homestuck may be WTFer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CidGregor posted:

Only half joking here.
Gainax has actually been pretty pedestrian for a while, if we're going for WTF factor he'd better off with Shaft. Think of all the head tilts they could work in.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Now I'm imagining Studio Trigger being given the rights with the explicit instruction to keep the sexualization of its female characters out.

It would be the most ridiculous, amazing show about Vriska and Karkat.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

It would be the most ridiculous, amazing show about Vriska and Karkat.

Fund it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Seoinin posted:

Fund it.

Now we know why he's prioritizing finishing the current Kickstarter!