Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

Incursus posted:

Oh man I'm jealous! I'm a huge fan of the 990 SD! I hope with the 1290 release it drops the price of the 990 so I can actually afford one! Let me know how that 190BHP V-Twin does on the street.

Probably mostly the same as any (non-cruiser) twin 600cc or over, as in faster than any reasonable car and plenty sufficient to get you killed and/or your licence revoked.

MCN (UK mag) had a comparison test. They preferred the V4 Tuono over the SDR, because the Aprilia had worse handling, acceleration, brakes and riding position, but better options for tuning the traction control. Boggles the mind. Based on this I fully expect to crash at the first corner due to lovely TC options.

(And it's barely 180hp at the crank, 160-165 @ rear wheel. What a pussy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

It's like you're whoever decides what bikes go to the American market and I hate it.

I'm really just filled with self-loathing because I can't have one and I want one so bad.

I just realized that sumos are like the only thing that basically everyone in CA agrees on.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 12, 2014

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Posting to agree with the Supermoto talk. I rode my buddy's Racing YZ250 on the dirt as my first time on anything other than pavement the other day. Before that, I thought I really wanted a Supermoto, now I know I need one.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Posting to agree with the Supermoto talk. I rode my buddy's Racing YZ250 on the dirt as my first time on anything other than pavement the other day. Before that, I thought I really wanted a Supermoto, now I know I need one.

I'm getting a crf150r for motocross this summer, but I'm also ordering some 17s to take part in minimotogp as well. Super excited.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

rmdx posted:

Probably mostly the same as any (non-cruiser) twin 600cc or over, as in faster than any reasonable car and plenty sufficient to get you killed and/or your licence revoked.

MCN (UK mag) had a comparison test. They preferred the V4 Tuono over the SDR, because the Aprilia had worse handling, acceleration, brakes and riding position, but better options for tuning the traction control. Boggles the mind. Based on this I fully expect to crash at the first corner due to lovely TC options.

(And it's barely 180hp at the crank, 160-165 @ rear wheel. What a pussy.)

I don't think they were getting 190bhp from a stock 1290, but with turning, exhaust, and maybe other small stuff. I'll have to research it, but even still, 165 is drat impressive from a stock naked bike. I have heard of MCN but I'm not a fan of what the writers say. I think they are biased. However.....I have never ridden a bike with TC and I will refuse to buy one with it, as everyone I know that has had it either disabled it completely, or sold the bike because of it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Incursus posted:

I don't think they were getting 190bhp from a stock 1290, but with turning, exhaust, and maybe other small stuff. I'll have to research it, but even still, 165 is drat impressive from a stock naked bike. I have heard of MCN but I'm not a fan of what the writers say. I think they are biased. However.....I have never ridden a bike with TC and I will refuse to buy one with it, as everyone I know that has had it either disabled it completely, or sold the bike because of it.

APRC is a lot more than just traction control, and to dismiss its advantages as "having more options" is pretty much missing the point - it controls (not prevents) rear-end slide and front-end lift under power, as well as not only preventing you going off the back but even preventing you from slamming the front when landing a wheelie, all of which are adjustable.

The fact it turned Max Biaggi into a tail-sliding lunatic in his last seasons of WSB tells you pretty much all you need to know

There's also the launch control and quickshifter, which are a touch gimmicky.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

APRC is a lot more than just traction control, and to dismiss its advantages as "having more options" is pretty much missing the point - it controls (not prevents) rear-end slide and front-end lift under power, as well as not only preventing you going off the back but even preventing you from slamming the front when landing a wheelie, all of which are adjustable.

It's ironic that a supernaked comparison cannot be won anymore by just building a bike with superb handling, rideability, ridiculous amounts of power coupled to an ABS/TC package that would've been state of the art on a 2011 1000cc sportbike. No, you have to have the most sophisticated electronics available. On a supernaked.

I don't question the superiority of Aprilia's electronics, just the insistence of it being so essential on a bike like the Tuono.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just like the vast majority of motorcyclists, the vast majority of motorcycle journalists are terrible.

That the entire video takes place without any shots of a wheelie says it all.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

rmdx posted:

It's ironic that a supernaked comparison cannot be won anymore by just building a bike with superb handling, rideability, ridiculous amounts of power coupled to an ABS/TC package that would've been state of the art on a 2011 1000cc sportbike. No, you have to have the most sophisticated electronics available. On a supernaked.

I don't question the superiority of Aprilia's electronics, just the insistence of it being so essential on a bike like the Tuono.

Actually, it totally loving owns.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I just bought this for commuting/girlfriend learning and eventual ownership because the GL145 simply wasn't cutting it.

It's a Hyosung GT250 brimming with features!

Patina!

Quality tyre!

Engine + more patina!

Do not be touched on muffler because it is hot! :gay:

It's surprisingly nice to ride, handles pretty well (until the raped rear tyre gives out) and has an absolute peach of an engine. Also feels like a much larger bike, it's basically the size of an SV650 thanks to the copy/knock-off GS500 frame and absolutely GIGANTIC tank. All in all I think for $1500 I did extremely well. It has more than enough performance to overcome traffic, the brake doesn't suck (although the rear one does, because it's an identical caliper to the front) and it's cheap and easy to get parts for/maintain.

It's peppered with various suzuki parts-bin bits and retarded Korean design decisions. For example, the fuel tap is dead center of the rear of the tank and even with the rider's seat pulled off isn't accessible. Happily, it's already set to reserve and the bike has a fuel gauge. No oil pressure light though!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

$1500? gently caress me, why did I spend $4000 on my VL250...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

To be fair, it has no WOF (but it won't fail) and the guy was pretty much the opposite of knowledgeable and sort of low-balled himself.

Also the tyres are amazingly tragic to ride on and need replacing, so it realistically will cost me 2k.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
YES OFFICER THAT'S THE RED DIRTBIKE RIGHT THERE

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Snowdens Secret posted:

You are a terrible, hilarious person.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

:(

I should paint all three bikes chrome colour as a sort of dazzle camouflage.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Slavvy posted:

Quality tyre!

Pilot Activs are actually pretty nice small-bike tyres when they're not horribly squared off! I put a set on my VTR last year that've seen 20,000+ km without really looking visibly worn. Not that great in the wet, though - maybe throw some BT45s on it instead if Bridgestone have decided to do business in the southern hemisphere again.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

:(

I should paint all three bikes chrome colour as a sort of dazzle camouflage.

Paint each side a different color, each time she complains, turn it around in the garage and invite the cops by

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Admittedly that would make it impossible for someone across the street to corroborate :v:

Shouting Melon posted:

Pilot Activs are actually pretty nice small-bike tyres when they're not horribly squared off! I put a set on my VTR last year that've seen 20,000+ km without really looking visibly worn. Not that great in the wet, though - maybe throw some BT45s on it instead if Bridgestone have decided to do business in the southern hemisphere again.

Bridgestone have always sold tyres here AFAIK. Aren't BT45's bias ply?

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Slavvy posted:

Last time I had to put tyres on a bike (like a year ago) all the dealers I spoke to said that the (apparently sole) Bridgestone importer for Australia was refusing to answer the phone. :shrug:

BT45s are bias ply, but they'll still do anything you ask of them that doesn't involve a track day.

e: Wait, the GT250 has a sensible 150 rear tyre? Just get, like, some PR3s or something.

Shouting Melon fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 19, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shouting Melon posted:

Last time I had to put tyres on a bike (like a year ago) all the dealers I spoke to said that the (apparently sole) Bridgestone importer for Australia was refusing to answer the phone. :shrug:

BT45s are bias ply, but they'll still do anything you ask of them that doesn't involve a track day.

On a light bike this is a good thing - the flexibility of the carcass is an essential part of how the tyre grips and using tyres designed for a 200 kilo 190 mph bike on a 130 kilo 80 mph bike means you'll be missing out on a huge amount of grip.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Slavvy posted:

Admittedly that would make it impossible for someone across the street to corroborate :v:

I've got BT45s on my VTR250, I'm sure. Bought them about 3 years ago.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I like the air cooling fins pointed in completely the wrong direction. Why couldn't they just violate patent rights and copy a Japanese engine like the sensible Chinese do?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

everyone posted:

BT45's

Righto, I'll look at getting some. PR3's are more than I want to spend on this bike, they're very expensive compared to BT45's.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I like the air cooling fins pointed in completely the wrong direction. Why couldn't they just violate patent rights and copy a Japanese engine like the sensible Chinese do?

It's a 75 degree V-twin :eng101: for some hosed up reason. Are you meaning the fins aren't parallel to the direction of airflow?

Also, am I right in thinking that there basically isn't a 'head gasket' in the traditional sense? To me it appears as if the combustion chamber and bore are cast out of one piece of aluminium, and the meeting point with the rest of the barrel is below the piston stroke area. So there's no gasket that needs to resist compression. Or are the heads just absolutely gigantic compared to the bore and pistons?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The back cylinder seems okay to me, isn't it? It's not ~perfect~ but there should still be decent airflow through the fins. The front one is dumb yeah. Odds that they used the exact same casting for both?

Slavvy posted:

Also, am I right in thinking that there basically isn't a 'head gasket' in the traditional sense? To me it appears as if the combustion chamber and bore are cast out of one piece of aluminium, and the meeting point with the rest of the barrel is below the piston stroke area. So there's no gasket that needs to resist compression. Or are the heads just absolutely gigantic compared to the bore and pistons?

I've never heard of an engine like that, where the cylinders and head are a single casting with no head gasket. I suppose you could engineer around issues like getting the valvetrain in, but why? The head gasket isn't a particularly expensive part, and if it's designed properly for the power output it's not likely to be a weak point either. If that Hyosung engine really does have a single-piece cylinder and head, though, I'd love to see how it works.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There are engines where the cylinders are part of the block. Never heard of cylinder + head. That one looks like a normal setup, I see a head gasket in there. The cylinder is just real short so it looks weird.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh ok, I thought so but it seemed really strangely proportioned. I guess the heads are just loving massive compared to the rest of the motor.

I can confirm the castings are identical, you can even see the flat blank area where the chain tensioner would go if the head were on the other side. I guess this also means it has two timing chains, one on either side of the engine and is therefore completely symmetrical from the crank-case up.

Working on Korean cars every day I can confirm the same not-quite-Japanese engineering mentality is instantly visible as soon as you start taking the thing apart.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Working on Korean cars every day I can confirm the same not-quite-Japanese engineering mentality is instantly visible as soon as you start taking the thing apart.

It applies to a lot of Korean engineering beyond cars, too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

There are engines where the cylinders are part of the block. Never heard of cylinder + head. That one looks like a normal setup, I see a head gasket in there. The cylinder is just real short so it looks weird.

Some of the F1 turbo era engines were single-piece cylinder and head because of the monstrous induced compression ratio. I *think* some of the really colossal marine diesels are the same way too, but they're two-strokes so that makes the whole thing a lot easier.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WW2 aircraft engines had a one piece head+bore too, but that was before anyone really knew how to design an engine.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Baby's first 'sport' bike, CBR500R.

I was originally worried it would be uncomfortable after years of riding on a cruiser (and being a fat guy), but it was the opposite. I'm officially a convert. Already has 300 miles on it in less than a week.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
That is a sweet looking bike. Does anyone know how much work and testing goes into seat design?

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 28, 2019

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

FluffyDice posted:

That is a sweet looking bike. Does anyone know how much work and testing goes into seat design?
Whatever bike you're talking about, "not enough" is the answer.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

Whatever bike you're talking about, "not enough" is the answer.

So much truth in this! Corbin seats are the best investment in a bike! I'd pay a grand for one if they made one for my Husqvarna!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Incursus posted:

So much truth in this! Corbin seats are the best investment in a bike! I'd pay a grand for one if they made one for my Husqvarna!

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products#!/~/category/id=1671357&offset=0&sort=normal

You can send me $850 later. :h:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

WW2 aircraft engines had a one piece head+bore too, but that was before anyone really knew how to design an engine.

Most old internal combustion engines had this design at one point. Some longer than others, I have a 55 hp Homelite outboard engine laying around from ca 1968 that has got a one piece head and bore.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I bought a thing :ohdear:

'11 WR250R with 904 miles

Time to wheelie off into the sunset.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kloa posted:

I bought a thing :ohdear:

'11 WR250R with 904 miles

Time to wheelie off into the sunset.

Yell yeah! That looks like fun on a bun!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Call me a dumbass, but is that a road-legal bike over there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Dumbass.