Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This is all very confusing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dirt posted:

I want a synth guitar setup so I can make all kinds of stupid noises like this dude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlUXq19NbHg

not joking

just add a little flute

I clicked somewhere in the middle of the video to skip through the boring introductory poo poo and hear what the gear does and literally landed on him saying "and then I'll add a little flute" and then doing just that. It was magical.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 26, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
carvin shoulda got johnny demarco to demo it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J3caoAvXE

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

This is an ugly guitar both for how it looks and what it is.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Salt Fish posted:

I didn't know Nintendo made guitars. :japan:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Salt Fish posted:

This is gorgeous, then again, I own this:

But I'm gay for Buckethead and things in white. Or I'm just gay. Am I gay? :ohdear:

fake edit: How in the hell is the fretboard white? Is it painted? lol

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
some more beauties I found with hashtag NAMM2014

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Clitch posted:

Goddamnit, bass players. :negative:
That was made by Wishbass. His stuff came up when I was looking to buy a fretless. Normal shapes, adjustable bridges and truss rods are for pussies.

Some choice quotes from a thread by someone looking to buy one:

quote:

No, it is doubtful that anyone else in the world is making "instruments" in this design. The market for vaguely bass-shaped, impressionist, to scale models is very small.

Are you looking for a prop or a decent sounding, playable instrument? If you're looking for the latter, you need to stay far away from this maker. There are some very basic things about how a bass is designed to produce sound that he obviously doesn't understand.

quote:

Ah, you fail to see the advantage! With the top being made of aromatic cedar, you can store extra gig clothes inside.

quote:

It has a handle, guys. For all the players who find a bag/case unnecessary when transporting their instrument, and who desire to walk around carrying their bass like a briefcase.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmt-d8yvr6Y

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Clitch posted:

Goddamnit, bass players. :negative:

"Houston, are you ready to ROCK AND, uh, I guess, KAJC?"

Fenris244
Oct 22, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

But I'm gay for Buckethead and things in white. Or I'm just gay. Am I gay? :ohdear:

I love that guitar but I'm also gay for Buckethead so yeah.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Salt Fish posted:

If Johnny Winter played that naked you could only see tattoos moving.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Fair Hallion posted:

some more beauties I found with hashtag NAMM2014

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Gerty posted:

I'm not going to read this whole thread, but... yeah the wood and internal structures of an electric guitar changes the way the strings vibrate, which changes the signal created by the pickup, which changes the sound when it comes out of the amp. So like the wood type matters, whether it's hollow matters, if it's hollow then the bracing inside matters.

I've got a bridge to sell you.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

thelightguy posted:

I've got a bridge to sell you.

is it made of select premium tonewoods?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Painted with only the most finely tuned tonelacquer.

Personally I think a guitar sounds better with a fine tonevarnish over a tonelacquer.

e: Aged for 18 years in oak barrels underneath the rolling hills of Scotland.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
don't forget about that kind of rare brazillian rosewood that you can only harvest one tree a year and they make flamenco guitar fretboards from

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

guys what if we made pickups out of wood

just think about it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
the idea of tone materials is really funny to me since i use three different distortion stages (tube screamer, bogner uberschall pedal, jcm800 with the pre turned all the way up) so every guitar sounds the same

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
wooden strings.

the TONE!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

KiddieGrinder posted:

wooden strings.

the TONE!

Pshh everyone knows that only way to get optimal tones is by severing the last knuckle on each one of your fingers are replacing them with african bubinga prosthetics.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

the idea of tone materials is really funny to me since i use three different distortion stages (tube screamer, bogner uberschall pedal, jcm800 with the pre turned all the way up) so every guitar sounds the same

my guitars sound like me because it really is all in my fingers

well, calluses technically, i have not felt a string on my fingers since like 2007

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

one of those things is extraneous tho

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm not into to any of that dumb expensive poo poo, but if you think you can take a pickup out of a strat and put it in an acoustic and it won't change the sound, you are very dumb and wrong.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Gerty posted:

I'm not into to any of that dumb expensive poo poo, but if you think you can take a pickup out of a strat and put it in an acoustic and it won't change the sound, you are very dumb and wrong.

*citation needed

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Gerty posted:

Okay let me give you an analogy. You are standing 10 feet in front of a lit 10kW floodlight on a navy base at high noon. Now light a candle. Did anything change?

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

HollisBrown posted:

*citation needed

counterpoint: these sound pretty good

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
haha you guys have no idea what you're talking about

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
lol whoa there no need to be hurtful rofl defensive much haha??

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gerty posted:

haha you guys have no idea what you're talking about

educate me sir

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
I think it`s pretty well established that unless you`re playing guitar direct to amp at an undistorted volume, you`d have to be the Einstein of hearing things to tell the difference between most guitar bodies. Throw in some distortion and other effects and poo poo gets muddy. Throw in a bassist, a singer, and a set of drums, and your precious tone is a fart in a hurricane.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
Well yeah, but that wasn't really what I was talking about. I used a more extreme example of an acoustic guitar. The strings on them actually vibrate much differently than a solid body guitar, so if you put a pickup in one it will sound different. Those pickups they make to put in the sound hole are basically the same thing as in an electric guitar, they only sound more like an acoustic guitar when plugged in because the body of the guitar changes the vibration of the strings.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Gerty posted:

Well yeah, but that wasn't really what I was talking about. I used a more extreme example of an acoustic guitar. The strings on them actually vibrate much differently than a solid body guitar, so if you put a pickup in one it will sound different. Those pickups they make to put in the sound hole are basically the same thing as in an electric guitar, they only sound more like an acoustic guitar when plugged in because the body of the guitar changes the vibration of the strings.

Yes but that has jack poo poo to do with the wood. Apart from the thought experiment of comparing a guitar made of balsa to a guitar made of lead, you are not going to hear a difference from the material it is made from.

corgski fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 27, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Sire Oblivion posted:

I am also gay for Buckethead, and hate my self for not buying one of those when they were available.

Also that white V is pretty cool if you ask me.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
there's a dude on youtube that made a strat body out of loving particle board and it sounded exactly the same as the regular strat body

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

thelightguy posted:

Yes but that has jack poo poo to do with the wood. Apart from the thought experiment of comparing a guitar made of balsa to a guitar made of lead, you are not going to hear a difference from the material it is made from.

to be honest it probably does affect qualities of the tone like sustain or how much the strings resonate off each other but the shame of it is you can slap a huge pricetag on something and suddenly "it affects the tone in a nigh imperceptible way to human ears" becomes "it sounds better like this and you know nothing"

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Dewgy posted:

to be honest it probably does affect qualities of the tone like sustain or how much the strings resonate off each other but the shame of it is you can slap a huge pricetag on something and suddenly "it affects the tone in a nigh imperceptible way to human ears" becomes "it sounds better like this and you know nothing"

The differences between a bolt on, set, or through-body neck are several orders of magnitude greater than the differences between particle board and mahogany.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

thelightguy posted:

The differences between a bolt on, set, or through-body neck are several orders of magnitude greater than the differences between particle board and mahogany.

not if you count in dollars

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Dewgy posted:

not if you count in dollars

Hence why I've considered building guitars for bluesdads for a living.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
there's another guy that did another experiment that came up with a bolt-on neck having the best sustain compared to set-in and neck-thru. it was published in a magazine, but here's the summary: http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/neckJointSustain.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
volume and proximity to the speakers affects sustain more than anything else anyway

• Locked thread