Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Fangz posted:

Was there any popular military fiction in the pre-modern age?

I suppose Romance of The Three Kingdoms might vaguely qualify. Was there anything elsewhere?

De Re Militari Basically fan-fiction of the Late Republic/Early Empire roman legions. Written by a roman noble who's pretty much :agesilaus: and :freep: combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slavvy posted:

:rolleye: seriously? No way!

Fun BMP-1 fact: the two main doors at the aft end for the dismount infantry did double duty as doors, and fuel tanks!

That way, if they get hit, and catch fire, everyone burns to death equally!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Fun BMP-1 fact: the two main doors at the aft end for the dismount infantry did double duty as doors, and fuel tanks!

That way, if they get hit, and catch fire, everyone burns to death equally!

"I know it sounds horrific, but if we have enough of them we can swamp NATO's defenses before too many of our men burn to death. It's a net gain!"
"SOLD!"

:ussr:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It encourages pointing it the right way and driving only towards the enemy :pseudo:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Slavvy posted:

:rolleye: seriously? No way!

It's actually not quite as easy as you would thing. Space really is at a premium in armored vehicles and if you want the gas-hungry engine to have any real range worth a drat (And by that we're talking 100-200 miles) you're going to carry a lot of fuel.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Can anyone recommend a good single volume on Nelson's career?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
There was also an experiment to put gas tanks in the road wheels, but those turned out to be a terrible idea.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

uPen posted:

Can anyone recommend a good single volume on Nelson's career?

John Sugden's two part The Sword of Albion and A Dream of Glory is good (I know that's not exactly what you asked for but it seems to be the best work so far).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Taerkar posted:

It's actually not quite as easy as you would thing. Space really is at a premium in armored vehicles and if you want the gas-hungry engine to have any real range worth a drat (And by that we're talking 100-200 miles) you're going to carry a lot of fuel.

The door tanks were intended to be filled with sand when combat happened but IFVs(much like anything with a decent troop compartment) were all really dangerous vehicles to be in when a hit happened. It turn out armoring open air for 10+ men and their equipment is really really heavy so it's just not possible to make a survivable IFV.

The BMP-1 in particular was not actually loaded out very well, as both its anti-tank missile and its main-gun were anti-tank weapons primarily, and the main gun wasn't up to snuff for long after its introduction in terms of anti-armor performance. The anti-tank missile was easy to upgrade though and did receive upgrades over the years.

The BMP-2 and 3 both had far superior antipersonnel armament(though they carried more flammable ammunition in their compartments, a problem the Bradley shared).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ensign Expendable posted:

There was also an experiment to put gas tanks in the road wheels, but those turned out to be a terrible idea.

Hmm can't see why.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

So what you are saying is that it was pierside literature.

Kinda. I mean, all that is sandwiched between pontificating on correct rulership and also relaying a kinda skewed version of the founding of the Persian Empire to an audience that probably hadn't heard it before.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Ensign Expendable posted:

This is the funniest thing.

I can't believe that progressed to the experiment stage. It should have failed during the "Drunken vodka induced bender" stage.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Saint Celestine posted:

This is the funniest thing.

I can't believe that progressed to the experiment stage. It should have failed during the "Drunken vodka induced bender" stage.

"Drunken vodka induced bender" has been the consistent ground state for all Russian military development since before the October revolution.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup. As reference, see:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Slavvy posted:

Yup. As reference, see:

What is the purpose of this thing? A plane that can only fly on water or a ship that goes fast but can't take a hit?

Alchenar posted:

John Sugden's two part The Sword of Albion and A Dream of Glory is good (I know that's not exactly what you asked for but it seems to be the best work so far).

This looks perfect, just longer than I was hoping for. Oh well, it's not like I already have an enormous pile of books I need to read. :smithicide:

uPen fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 26, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's almost as fast as a plane, but can carry several hundred tonnes of cargo. It isn't intended for fleet warfare or anything, it's just an extremely fast heavy transport that can't be shot down.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

What is the purpose of this thing? A plane that can only fly on water or a ship that goes fast but can't take a hit?

AFAIK that's an "ekranoplan", or ground-effect plane. It appeared once as a plot point in a James Bond where the Soviets were using it to smuggle illicit goods from Iran across the Caspian Sea

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I love that the first example that comes to mind of this tech being used is James Bond.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
In all seriousness the ground-effect craft that the Soviets constructed made good sense. For the Caspian and Black Seas (and to a lesser extent the Baltics) it allowed the Soviets to vastly improve their naval projection power. A single A-90 could carry 30,000kg worth of supplies at 400 km/h, and the Lun-class could do 500km/h with six Moskits on its back (for comparison, the Sovremenny-class carries 8, and at speed the Lun could sortie, launch, and re-sortie before the Sovremenny even steamed out of port). A planned Lun-class variant would also serve as a hospital, essentially enabling the Soviet fleet to zip over a full hospital as soon as operations commenced, take on a ridiculous number of wounded, ship them back to port in a well-equipped platform, all in record time. They also made an anti-submarine one, that would've had VTOL capability, and speed all over the place, but it had (unsurprisingly for such a craft with VTOL) problems with its batteries and engines. The "Caspian Monster" had a take-off weight of 550 tonnes and reportedly did over 700km/h in tests.

Ekranoplans own

156m wingspan (the harrier in that picture is actually much too big)

:ussr: :catdrugs:

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

a travelling HEGEL posted:

Guess what

I think Bush phoned Chirac in the middle of the night to tell him this.

It sounds like this wasn't ever confirmed by Bush or Chirac. In fact, all the article says is that some professor got a call asking about Gog and Magog and they make an enormous assumption that (a) It was coming from the French government and (b) The French were asking about because Bush said something. They don't provide proof for either assertion. Is there anything more substantial to this?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
It's the Guardian. Just like the Daily Mail doesn't need proof when Liberals are stealing your right to be racist, the Guardian doesn't need proof when Fascists are being dumb.

uPen posted:

I love that the first example that comes to mind of this tech being used is James Bond.
Battletech for me, but they use "future magic" to make them work on land too.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Noted blood gargling psychopath Rumsfeld apparently had some curious bible quotes put on reports that he presented to Bush. But the Gog and Magog thing sounds like bunk.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

uPen posted:

I was thinking of World in Conflict, myself.

Really, though, that looks like the sort of thing that belongs in Ace Combat. Surprised it hasn't shown there yet.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Buck Danny #45 (1994):

VVV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr8N0Z4Cl0U&t=2371s look at how it turns at slow speed. Also watch the whole video. Scratch that, watch the entire series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL69B0CB4788F64720

Koesj fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 26, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If they landed on a beach, how were they supposed to get reversed back into the water? How do you maneuver something like that at low speed without a tugboat, in general?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It sounds like this wasn't ever confirmed by Bush or Chirac. In fact, all the article says is that some professor got a call asking about Gog and Magog and they make an enormous assumption that (a) It was coming from the French government and (b) The French were asking about because Bush said something. They don't provide proof for either assertion. Is there anything more substantial to this?
In the original source, the professor says Chirac was the one who phoned him because Bush had, in turn, phoned him. That professor could be lying or mistaken, but he's the source and the Guardian does link to the thing I'm linking here.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Slavvy posted:

If they landed on a beach, how were they supposed to get reversed back into the water? How do you maneuver something like that at low speed without a tugboat, in general?

Thrust reversers?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

In the original source, the professor says Chirac was the one who phoned him because Bush had, in turn, phoned him. That professor could be lying or mistaken, but he's the source and the Guardian does link to the thing I'm linking here.

Oh okay that one is better. The guardian article made it seem like the guy deduced while on the phone that Chirac was asking instead of being told that the office of the president was asking by the head of the french protestant church.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh okay that one is better. The guardian article made it seem like the guy deduced while on the phone that Chirac was asking instead of being told that the office of the president was asking by the head of the french protestant church.

Well he could be full of poo poo building off a historical story...ala "Maggie's going to nuke Argentina if we don't give her the Exocet codes" via Mitterrand's shrink.

Speaking of huge Falklands is there any evidence besides the Daily Mail that the Israelis were supplying the Argentineans with weapons because of Begins massive hard on for killing English people and soliders?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

I wonder what the plan for preventing FOD to the engines. It just seems like an invitation to end up sucking in tones of small rocks.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think it was just written unclearly. Like the author wanted to start in medias res so that we would find out along with Roemer what was going on, but it just ended up muddled.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I'm sorta late to diesel fires chat but this here video has a bunch of examples of such things (remember to enable English captions if you don't understand spoken Swedish):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiWCpIJ5dBw

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Given the number of libel trials the Guardian has fought and won, I don't think they made it up or didn't do their due diligence. Comparing them to the Daily Mail is rather... eh....

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fangz posted:

Given the number of libel trials the Guardian has fought and won, I don't think they made it up or didn't do their due diligence. Comparing them to the Daily Mail is rather... eh....
Hyperbole for the sake of humour. Neither of them is capable of presenting an article without significant spin, but the Daily Mail really are a special level of lovely reporting beaten only by Fox.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Neither of them is capable of presenting an article without significant spin,

Are you yourself in this case presenting a post without significant spin?

VVV RIP your iron lady

Koesj fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 27, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Koesj posted:

Are you yourself in this case presenting a post without significant spin?
Clearly I am :colbert:

RIP indeed. I am really proud of getting this avatar for annoying a 40k nerd enough about the roots of the setting. Apparently saying that taking the piss out of Thatcher's Britain was the original inspiration for The Imperium of Man is really really offensive.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 27, 2014

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fangz posted:

Honestly if they lost its not something hard to argue against, England has some of the most retarded libel laws short of Australia...and Singapore.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

RIP indeed. I am really proud of getting this avatar for annoying a 40k nerd enough about the roots of the setting. Apparently saying that taking the piss out of Thatcher's Britain was the original inspiration for The Imperium of Man is really really offensive.
That and a satire on fascism/toxic masculinity/toxic fascist masculinity, which means it's really great that those are things the fanbase is into.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Reminder that Rupert Murdoch's empire literally won a supreme court case saying that they can legally lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Reminder that Rupert Murdoch's empire literally won a supreme court case saying that they can legally lie.

Actually that has been legal precedent from the Samuel L Bronkowist (sp) case.

That and a satire on fascism/toxic masculinity/toxic fascist masculinity, which means it's really great that those are things the fanbase is into.

But honestly who gives a crap about what the politics of some British neck beards in the 1980s were anyway?

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 27, 2014

• Locked thread