Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

trucutru posted:

Have you done IAP? 'Cause pushing out the "moochers" seems to be their objective.

If there was a clearer path to solving the problems I have with the game via IAP I would. As it stands I can pay $2 once a day/$4 after that to roll on a machine with a chance to get the Patch cover I need that will likely just spit out Black Widows. I've rolled enough Bag Men since launch to know that's a sucker bet. Even then it doesn't solve the problem of the scaling making the event an incredibly tedious unfun grind, does nothing to fix the mess that is PVP and is only a temporary solution for the PVE events.

They really should bring back the one hero machine like the Iron Man Model 40 one they had, price it around five bucks and let people treat it like an entry fee for the weekly PVE events. It'd help make the game a lot less punishing to players who take a break for a week too, that's what's really killing me here. Had I not taken time off over Christmas to play other games I would have rolled into a batch of Ares and Patch covers like I had with my CStorm/Thor/Cap/Wolverine/Grey Black Widow/OBW/etc.

Long story short it's probably time for me to take a break and play other things, but I'm reluctant to do so given how aggressively the game punishes missing even a couple tournaments. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I gave the first pve event a half hearted attempt, but looks like Im good for 3rd place in my current bracket!

Also hahahaah the 5k intel reward is Bag Man. That is just cruel.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Well, that was interesting. I had a fairly large lead in my bracket, and someone just jumped 100+ points with under a minute to go to pass me.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BGrifter posted:

If there was a clearer path to solving the problems I have with the game via IAP I would. As it stands I can pay $2 once a day/$4 after that to roll on a machine with a chance to get the Patch cover I need that will likely just spit out Black Widows. I've rolled enough Bag Men since launch to know that's a sucker bet. Even then it doesn't solve the problem of the scaling making the event an incredibly tedious unfun grind, does nothing to fix the mess that is PVP and is only a temporary solution for the PVE events.

They really should bring back the one hero machine like the Iron Man Model 40 one they had, price it around five bucks and let people treat it like an entry fee for the weekly PVE events. It'd help make the game a lot less punishing to players who take a break for a week too, that's what's really killing me here. Had I not taken time off over Christmas to play other games I would have rolled into a batch of Ares and Patch covers like I had with my CStorm/Thor/Cap/Wolverine/Grey Black Widow/OBW/etc.

Long story short it's probably time for me to take a break and play other things, but I'm reluctant to do so given how aggressively the game punishes missing even a couple tournaments. :sigh:

Sounds like you are burning out, you should be able to piece something together if you come back even a year later. Sure you wont be able to nab a top 10 but you should be able to get enough rewards to get what is needed after a few weeks and get back into the swing of things.

You can buy your way into many things, you can get a 100% on a Punisher. I do love how they list a discount on everything (is anything EVER "normal" price?) Jess 200 coins for 1 or 1800 for 5? Wait I could get 10 tokens for that price! Oh its just a heroic token with a higher tilt towards Punisher? gently caress that poo poo why would you pay 2x the price for that? spend $20 for a Punisher! (this is a pretty bad deal, not that Punisher is bad, its just twice what it would cost to level the cover if you already had it).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Won a Patch cover! :toot: whether I can take on the Patch restricted missions is another matter.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
This is interesting, 15 minutes after the event and I still don't have my first place rewards. e: yay, 3 wolvies.

Also interesting: My next set of events starts off with guys at level 155.

The rewards for that event were so skewed, I didn't get a single 500 ISO bonus despite doing them all 4-5 times. I had 2000 to start with, now i'm down so far I can't buy refills anymore.

iRend fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 26, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Got a Heroic token out of that last sub event. Snagged another Captain 'Murica. Got him now at 3/3/3, what should I focus on for him?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Much like the last one, this one is 230/230/230 throughout for me.

The rewards did take a while, and I'm sitting on my red Patch reward for now. 2/3/2 and toying with the possibilities.

JGBeagle posted:

Got a Heroic token out of that last sub event. Snagged another Captain 'Murica. Got him now at 3/3/3, what should I focus on for him?

Take Red and Blue to 5 for sure.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
People have talked about how the design of this feels haphazard a lot, and I honestly haven't quite gotten that until now. The level scaling is really annoying, especially considering there (maybe) is a way to mitigate it, but losing on purpose is both unreliable and unintuitive considering how health works in the game. Also, grinding losses isn't very fun. Shame too, since I think the event would be pretty cool if the scaling reset between rounds.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
At this rate, I'm hoping the Maggia hideout hemorrhages intel. Otherwise no one's gonna even come close to any of those rewards.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Top 10 finish, three heroic tokens.

Bag Man
Iron Man Model 40
Bag Man

Yeah, it's fair to say I'm burning out.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I just grinded into top 10 for punisher and shielded. It was a terribly unfun thing to do and I can't see how anyone plays this game enough to have like level 80 thors or level 60 ares and poo poo. This is just a bad cash grab of a game

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BGrifter posted:

Top 10 finish, three heroic tokens.

Bag Man
Iron Man Model 40
Bag Man

Yeah, it's fair to say I'm burning out.

I got a Bag Man, a purple OBW (which I don't need) and a red Wolverine (Yellow) which I also don't need. Should have pushed for the 1-2 Patch covers :smith:

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Man, last round I waited for a while, was 199/200, grinded up to #5 with a few hours left. Finished top 100 for some worthless iso reward. Welp.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I got top 15 on each of the first two rounds, but I was pretty lucky with my heroic draws. Got a red Ragnarok, blue Magneto classic, and black Hood.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I got a Bag Man, a purple OBW (which I don't need) and a red Wolverine (Yellow) which I also don't need. Should have pushed for the 1-2 Patch covers :smith:

Yeah I came up just short of 5th. Had to beat the static level 230s mission that forces my unlevelled Spider-Man on to my team with OBW/Wolverine just to get top 10.

Of course I was less than 50 points out of first place and the Patch-required mission of level 110s rewarded over a hundred points still. Everything else was 1 point. :suicide:

As a former Have, it's really eye opening just how bad things are for the Have Nots. I wouldn't have believed it a month ago when I was still on cruise control winning Invisible Woman covers and the like.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

JGBeagle posted:

What delfin said - leave yellow at 3. Cap'n isn't fantastic anyway, but he's decent, especially when buffed and fighting PvE. Being able to over-write countdowns is useful. The yellow is too expensive to be worthwhile.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Ares is simply not balanced as a L240 enemy. I don't see how anyone could beat those L240 missions without a high-level Spiderman to keep Ares from one-shotting people on your team.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I got a Moonstone, 2-star Wolverine, and a blue spidey. Of course, I don't have cover space left so I am tempted to drop :10bux: for it.

Edit:

So, after a week of playing I have:

5/2/3 modern storm
5/5/3 IM35
5/5 modern BW
5/3 Juggs
1/0/1 Patch
Blue Doom
Blue Hood
1/0/2 Thor
2/0/0 Ast. Wolverine
1/1/0 Moonstone
black bullseye
3/0 venom

And covers for 2-star magneto, punisher, spidey, and classic storm.

Not bad, but without that patch I somehow got I would be screwed.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 27, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I realized how stupid that question was when I looked at his abilities. I don't think I've ever used his yellow ability.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

trucutru posted:

I got a Moonstone, 2-star Wolverine, and a blue spidey. Of course, I don't have cover space left so I am tempted to drop :10bux: for it.

Edit:

5/2/3 modern storm
5/5/3 IM35
5/5 modern BW
5/3 Juggs
1/0/1 Patch
Blue Doom
Blue Hood
1/0/2 Thor
2/0/0 Ast. Wolverine
1/1/0 Moonstone
black bullseye
3/0 venom

Juggernaut and Venom both have covers in the late prologue and drop like flies out of heroic tokens so unless you are planning on using them now, you can sell them to fit other, better covers in.

Edit: List of drops from the prologue here

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I got an X-force Wolverine from the drop.

:psyduck:

What the hell am I going to do with this thing?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait til the rebalance hits him, then wonder if you'll ever get any more cards.

OTOH, sell for 50 hp.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

trucutru posted:

Edit:

5/2/3 modern storm
5/5/3 IM35
5/5 modern BW
5/3 Juggs
1/0/1 Patch
Blue Doom
Blue Hood
1/0/2 Thor
2/0/0 Ast. Wolverine
1/1/0 Moonstone
black bullseye
3/0 venom

Echoing what the other guy said to drop Venom and Juggs, and probably Bullseye and/or Moonstone too -- Punisher, Spidey, and Classic Storm are worth keeping, and 2-star Magneto seems kinda fun. Classic Storm has 3 or 4 covers in the prologue rewards, too. Unless they do another Dark Avenger tournament in the near future, you're not really gonna want to put either Moonstone or Bullseye on a team. Also, check the prologue reward list for any Hero Points that are left in the missions you can win before your covers expire.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Moonstone's worth hanging onto if you get a lot of her covers. In a pinch, she's a pretty good tank and hits hard in the right conditions.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Hey, they changed the shield prices back to normal. Maybe tournaments won't be such a HC drain now.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I managed to get enough hero points to make enough space for one cover that was about to expire. Now I have 5 1/2 days until the next one is due, which should be enough.

I'll try to keep as many of them as possible but Venom will certainly be the first one to leave, if I need the space. Thanks.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
So, so, so, so, so, so many crabs tonight. I was trying to shield at 710 and kept getting pulled down; now I can't get back above 530 without being beaten down by fearsome 15 Punisher - 50 Storm Modern - 75 Thor teams.

EDIT: poo poo on it. Shielded at #4 - 644 and hoping to stay top 15.

delfin fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 27, 2014

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Just noticed that the shields have dropped back down to their 50/100/200 levels. Must not have been getting enough big fish to bite on them.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
A couple hours ago I was going to grind to 1st in my Punisher racket (only 800), but once I hit 700, I could not get any matches that awarded more than 17 points. I tried for 30 pulls and then i got hit with a deluge of attacks that knocked me down to to 550. So I went from like 3rd to 18th. I ground back up to 600 something in what took forever and just shielded in 8th, which kind of blew since I could have had 3rd. Oh well. I also miss the giant bracket for the main event. It seems way harder to stay in the top 100 of my 2k man bracket than it did to stay in the top 300 for both hulk events. I think the rubber banding is really janky when you're with different people in each sub event.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
gently caress YOU GAME! I worked my rear end off for 2 heroic tokens and you give me 2 bag mans? you can loving eat a dick if you ever think im going to spend money on this rigged garbage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

Just noticed that the shields have dropped back down to their 50/100/200 levels. Must not have been getting enough big fish to bite on them.

Yeah my bracket has a ton of shielded people on top. I'm still going to drop like a sack and yield to get more Thor covers. Yeah he's getting patched but he's still pretty good and I'll get more mileage out of him than Patches.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I was shooting to break 600 and at least get to 2nd place before shielding. I finally got 601 and the prize, but then was instantly socked twice before I could get to the shield screen. I finally gave up and shielded in 6th with around 560 points because I'm sick of seeing more crabs than a gynecologist and don't want to have to patch a hole in my wall from a thrown phone.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
What are people's thoughts on doom in a post wolverine nerf world? Right now I play Punsiher/Wolverine/Spiderman whenever possible, but with Wolverine and Spiderman's days being numbered, I'm in the market to change up the team. Here's what I've got if anyone wants to take a crack at new teams:

Wolverine (Astonishing) 5/3/5 - 85
Spiderman (Classic) 3/5/5 - 82
The Punisher 5/3/5 - 75
Iron Man (Model 40) 5/3/3 - 70
Black Widow (Grey Suit) 5/1/3 - 60
Thor 5/5/3 - 58
Invisible Woman 1/1/2 - 54
Moonstone 5/5/3 - 53
Iron Man (Model 35) 5/5/3 - 50
The Hulk 4/3/2 - 50
Wolverine (X-Force) 3/1/2 - 50
Black Widow (Original) 3/5/5 - 40
Black Widow (Modern) 5/5 - 40
Doctor Doom 2/4 - 39
Storm (Modern) - 5/4/4 - 35
Daken 5/5 - 34
Captain America 3/5/5 - 30
Wolverine (Patch) 2/2/2 - 30
Juggernaut 5/5 -28
Ragnarok 1/3 - 28 (2 covers post nerf, woo!)
Storm (Classic) 5/5/3 - 25
Venom 5/5 - 25
The Hood 0/3/0 - 25
Ares 3/4/5 - 22
Yelena Belova 5/5 - 16
Hawkeye (Modern) 5/5/3 - 15
Hawkeye (Classic) 5/5 - 15
Spiderman (Classic) 2/3/1 - 15 (2nd spiderman)
Loki 1/0 - 15
Magneto (Classic) 0/1/0 - 15
Magneto (Marvel NOW!) 3/2/5 - 14
Bullseye 5/5 - 10
Spiderman (Bag-Man) 3/3/3 - 9

I'd love to be using a Classic Mags, but I need to open an rear end ton more covers before I even think of that. I think The Punisher is still good even though his molatov will blow without wolverine's strike tiles. Maybe BW grey suit could move into a damage dealer role? I realize the nerfs might not be back breaking, but after rags, I'm not optimistic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Doom is one of my highest levelled characters. He's rock solid at dishing out hurt, you can get him to solid hp levels to be a wall. He's pretty much a one track character though. Collect blacks or turn blues into blacks, then you are the demons. If you're using another black reliant character, like Punisher, this will hurt. If you've got a blue dependent character, then that'll also slow down Doom's buildup too, since you're channelling the blue into stuns, probably, or converting them into black. The only exception to this is Venom, with his purple stuns, but honestly who the hell uses Venom?

Pairs up great with black generators, like IM40, OBW, Hood, ap stealers or just random ap grabbers like M Storm. If your match is low on black tiles though, yeah it can screw you because he does not have a lot of diversity. His problems and strengths are the same as Moonstone, just tiered up. Relies heavily on one colour. If he gets it, he'll murder everything in his path. Without it, he's just a meatwall.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

SynthOrange posted:

Doom is one of my highest levelled characters. He's rock solid at dishing out hurt, you can get him to solid hp levels to be a wall. He's pretty much a one track character though. Collect blacks or turn blues into blacks, then you are the demons. If you're using another black reliant character, like Punisher, this will hurt. If you've got a blue dependent character, then that'll also slow down Doom's buildup too, since you're channelling the blue into stuns, probably, or converting them into black. The only exception to this is Venom, with his purple stuns, but honestly who the hell uses Venom?

Pairs up great with black generators, like IM40, OBW, Hood, ap stealers or just random ap grabbers like M Storm. If your match is low on black tiles though, yeah it can screw you because he does not have a lot of diversity. His problems and strengths are the same as Moonstone, just tiered up. Relies heavily on one colour. If he gets it, he'll murder everything in his path. Without it, he's just a meatwall.

The other problem with Doom in particular is that he's kind of useless against Wolverine or Daken, because their strike tiles take up all the reds and prevent you from getting all your demon tiles. That might not be a problem once everyone isn't constantly using Wolverine after the rebalance, but it's not great for now.

E: Welp sorry I guess this was the other guy's point

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Holy poo poo the crabbing...

I was going to aim for top 5 but this is ridiculous. I'll settle for Top 15.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Just barely got into the top 5 at the last minute :toot: It took 3 shields total but I'm perfectly fine with a net 50 HC loss for 3 patch covers.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There is no bigger disappointment than having a Dr. Doom and all of the red tiles being strike tiles, or there hardly being any red tiles on the board. Doom is also kind of whatever once you've filled the board with damage tiles but that's not much of an indictment.

It's getting a tad irritating that every special event has a bunch of one stars or Bag Men loading up their special event tokens, I have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Came first and now Patch is 3/2/3. :toot: