Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
I'm having trouble understanding how my income is calculated every turn. Is the income I see at the top of the screen exactly the amount of money I'm going to receive (minus upkeep) when I click end turn? Some specific things I wonder about:

If, as part of a turn changing, a province's scales change, is your received income for that turn affected, or is it only applied to next turn's income?
Is unit upkeep charged on the turn they're hired, or only on the subsequent turn?
How about things like unrest caused by bloodhunting, etc? Does it affect income for the turn it "happens" or only the subsequent turn?

I ask because it seems like, even after making sure I wiped all my recruitment orders, my treasury gold seems to be slightly below its expected value, and occasionally I screw up something like a planned temple purchase because of it. Of course, I could just be an idiot who is missing random event effects, but I don't think that's what's happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TheresNoThyme posted:

my treasury gold seems to be slightly below its expected value

The solution to this is to have as many of your own men killed as possble.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I'm pretty sure income is calculated based on the current turn, so the projected income is innacurate. I might be wrong, I seriously don't know everything about dominions it is very complicatd

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

Neruz posted:

Each path in nature increases maxage by 50%, each path in fire decreases it by 5% to a maximum of -5 years per path, each path in death increases maxage for undead dudes (I don't know why either) and decreases the chances of getting afflictins due to old age for living dudes.

Also, demons gain more years from blood magic, and lifeless beings gain more years from earth magic.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Diabl0658 posted:

Also, demons gain more years from blood magic, and lifeless beings gain more years from earth magic.

Ahahaha this game, thats pretty cool.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Don't demons and lifeless guys live pretty long already?

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to bring my MA R'lyeh out of the water. Expanding under the water was mostly driven by crabmen and I've got some nasty customers on land (Ulm, Marignon, Sceleria, Ashdod) to deal with. What should I be aiming for with fish heads in terms of units and battle magic? I'm pretty clear on the more economic and ritual side of the nation, it's just putting together a functional fighting force that I'm getting tripped up on.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

MagnumOpus posted:

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to bring my MA R'lyeh out of the water. Expanding under the water was mostly driven by crabmen and I've got some nasty customers on land (Ulm, Marignon, Sceleria, Ashdod) to deal with. What should I be aiming for with fish heads in terms of units and battle magic? I'm pretty clear on the more economic and ritual side of the nation, it's just putting together a functional fighting force that I'm getting tripped up on.

1) set a drinky bird on the "make illithids" button

2) get a wall of lobo guard

3) set the illithids to the far back end of your field and watch as they give grand mal seizures to everything. R'lyeh took the last MP game I was in with a doom stack of illithids. They're not invincible by any means but if you position them so far back it's very hard for the enemy to get to you.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

How many illithids do you need per enemy solider? I got the impression that mind blast doesn't really work fast enough to stop a big wave.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
That is the weakness of the strategy, yes. Summon better blockers.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
While Rlyehs earth magic is unreliable if you need blockers in the mid or later game you could use enliven statues in enchanment to get something tankier than a loboguard.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

Don't demons and lifeless guys live pretty long already?

Yes, I don't think there are any demons or lifeless or undead units in the game that actually benefit from the extended lifespans since I'm fairly sure they all have lifetimes of like a thousand years.

Jines
Aug 6, 2006

MagnumOpus posted:

An alternative strategy (based on my vast experience of one game with MA ryleh) is lobos blocking for communions with starspawn supported by a shitload of star children. Even the non-cap starspawn will work fine with enough communion support - 2S can spam soul slay/enslave mind for tougher units, and S/D can throw pretty huge numbers of nether darts. Being underwater also gives you plenty of room to turtle up and focus on cranking out mages and research while your landlubber opponents eat each other. The main downside, at least for me so far, is that you spend ridiculous amounts of time communion-scripting.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

LordLeckie posted:

While Rlyehs earth magic is unreliable if you need blockers in the mid or later game you could use enliven statues in enchanment to get something tankier than a loboguard.

Alternatively, WATER ELEMENTALS. They are superb blockers and have the added benefit of also being able to kill things up to and including thugs/minor SCs. It's a great way to spend your W. If you can drop something like body ethereal/iron warriors/quickness they will absolutely destroy normal troops.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 27, 2014

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
If you absolutely need firepower that isn't worthless astral crap (not to say that astral crap is worthless but sometimes you want DAMAGE), then you can communion falling frost or communion gifts from heaven pretty easily.

Lobo guard are the ultimate chaff unit, notable in that they have 13 hp for 5 gold. You want to back your troops and mages up with Darkness every time it's possible to do so. Under Darkness lobo guard are actually dangerous offensively, and benefit more and more the more buffs you can pile on them. Frankly putting money into Illithids for war-fighting has greatly diminishing returns after you get enough to neuter thugs and giants, but Illithids are excellent for that purpose alone and for breaking formations. You can't think of them as damage dealers the way you use archers though, rather they're the support units while the troops and mages are the damage. The existence of Illithids means single target astral like Mind Burn and Paralyze are of limited utility, although you'll still get plenty of use out of Soul Slay.

You'll want a land fort via some peaceful means if you can at all. Like stealing some land from an AI, or a negotiation, or an island. Land summons are almost always superior to the underwater ones. Also invaluable are any air mage, which you can add as a communion master with a Crystal Matrix. They'll let you cast Storm and Arrow Fend and later Fog Warriors and Mass Flight, which help with your arrow weakness and are massive force multipliers respectively. Indeps with shields are also invaluable, some might be found underwater, but a high-res prov with heavy infantry also works.

There's a good reason why Crab Hybrids don't get a lot of noise other than fighting water wars, and that's because they're actually detrimental to have past the expansion phase. R'lyeh doesn't really ever want to have a standing army, since other than the 100/fort unit limit you can just pop out as many troops as you want instantly. So if you're in a peaceful phase, your "build up" should consist solely of mages and never army.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Boy howdy am I happy about that perfect darkvision. In a PBEM I got the Throne of Night and finally broke into amulets of air for my Aboleths. Now the stupid air breathers will get there's.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
How does allied combat work in a disciples game? Will me and my buddy defend against the enemy horde together or sequentially? Hell, can we even share the same province?
In a related note, can we use each other's labs?

Don't have access to the manual at the momenf, so if the answers are in there, I apologize.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

sullat posted:

How does allied combat work in a disciples game? Will me and my buddy defend against the enemy horde together or sequentially? Hell, can we even share the same province?
In a related note, can we use each other's labs?

Don't have access to the manual at the momenf, so if the answers are in there, I apologize.

You can defend the same province, but you will defend sequentially. You cannot see or use each others labs.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

nothing to seehere posted:

You can defend the same province, but you will defend sequentially. You cannot see or use each others labs.

Someone should start a disciples LP!

Do it in the style of Lillis lp.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Also important is that you can't hide in your allies fort.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nuts. Was hoping my ally could use my discount site.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

sullat posted:

Nuts. Was hoping my ally could use my discount site.

You could cede it back and forth as necessary? Just can't use it both at the same time, obviously, but if one of you has better paths/research for using it on a given turn, you can work something out. Unless I'm missing something.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Holy poo poo.EA Arco's Philosophers have 19 RP points in an S3M3 dominion. Even mystics only get 15. With them, you can crank out your super Oreiad thugs by the end of the first year by going into alteration and construction.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

amuayse posted:

Holy poo poo.EA Arco's Philosophers have 19 RP points in an S3M3 dominion. Even mystics only get 15. With them, you can crank out your super Oreiad thugs by the end of the first year by going into alteration and construction.

Aren't they cap-only? I'm still a complete Dom3 newb so maybe I'm not understanding correctly what my priorities should be in a game but S3M3 seem like horrible scales to take just so you can use your cap recruitment for non-mage researchers.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
They're dirt cheap (65g) for being an awesome researcher and in the early game is when you're trying to chase after every penny, it means a lot. Plus labs are only 250 for Arco. Compare a Vanherse the cheapest mage for Vanheim (145g, 7rp) or a Nahuali for Mictlan (125g, 11rp).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yes, but you're taking sloth 3 on a nation with nothing but really heavy troops. Well, I guess there's peltasts if you want to scrap the bottom of the barrel.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You can expand reliably with nothing but Cardaces (8 r) and Slingers (2 r). You're vulnerable to an early rush, but then again, you're probably not going to have much chance repelling a jag, niefel, or rephaite rush anyways with your troop lineup. Unless you go with dual bless windriders, but that's another strategy.
Being able to effectively use gems before everyone else is key.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 28, 2014

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Half of the difficulty of this game seems to be that there are so many spells and most of them are either so good/important that they are strategic lynchpins or completely useless, and the game has been continuously re-tuned based upon the assumption that the majority of their player base has encyclopedic knowledge of what is what. Is there some guide or list somewhere that newbies can read to catch up on this or is the answer really play a thousand hours until you figure it out yourself? Even SP I'm very rarely ever feeling like I have a handle on what is going on, and even when I do I'm almost always suddenly shown otherwise as a 150 unit stack of giants shows up on my doorstep.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Also 10 hp "super thugs" makes me laugh. Awe is nice but they have no buffer for when poo poo happens.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well they do have the paths to cast mistform, enlarge, and personal regeneration. Stack an ethereal cloak and a good shield, and they can mop up most armies without magic weapons easily. They also can make good assassins. Later on, they can transition to evocations and alterations/thaumaturgy debuff spells..

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Hell yeah personal regeneration to give you 1 hp per turn. Because they have 10 hp.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Is enlarge really that great, i mean yes you have extra HP to regen but the extra fatigue + more attacks vs you doesnt seem that great

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

LordLeckie posted:

Is enlarge really that great
no

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

its hypothetically good to use on tramplers

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

You could cede it back and forth as necessary? Just can't use it both at the same time, obviously, but if one of you has better paths/research for using it on a given turn, you can work something out. Unless I'm missing something.

Yeah, for big ticket summons we could do that. But will forts also switch possession? Naturally I forted it up to protect the mages and the site.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

My pretender casted Returning and was abducted by Space and Time.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
If people aren't reading the MadPantheon retrospective that was posted in the PGS thread, they should.

dis astranagant posted:

As Niefel I was fighting 3-4 nations at once and had crushed Agartha down to their capital with some jag support from Mictlan. There were some hairy moments holding down the border fort they had to come in through but we had a ridiculous bless and tons of gear for Skrattir :black101:

This is the guy I always think of when I say that a beefy enough bless (and a heroic ability) can turn a thug into an SC. That's +8hp, 10% regen, +5Prot, +4reinvig, 5FR, 5SR, 10PR, Animal Awe, +2 Str, and +1MR from the bless. Then consider W self-buffs, gear, and a +HP ability. loving gorgeous.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
And as we pointed out at least once in our discussion doc / IRC, he's got 15 MR. But that's the thing about SCs, you can't cover everything, so at different stages of the game different power levels of units can be considered SCs. Still, I wouldn't send him up against mage support.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Decrepus posted:

My pretender casted Returning and was abducted by Space and Time.

That means he's safe from remote attacks at least :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

TheDemon posted:

And as we pointed out at least once in our discussion doc / IRC, he's got 15 MR. But that's the thing about SCs, you can't cover everything, so at different stages of the game different power levels of units can be considered SCs. Still, I wouldn't send him up against mage support.

Wanted to second that it was really fun reading your team's game notes, so thanks for posting them. I think if any other teams have postgame analysis it would be interesting to read as well.

Your team seemed to have a nation comp (jags, vanheim and of course skratti with shrouds) that was really optimal for taking advantage of the big bless you can expect in a disciples game. Out of curiosity, did anything give you trouble there? Obviously I can only go off your game notes, but it seems like the nations not positioned to make great use of blesses (Agartha & Marveni for example) fell off the radar pretty quick.

• Locked thread