Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Spaceman Bill posted:

Soooo is it gonna be red on heroes, too?

I believe so, someone told me that the hero/villain gear is GL/SC for marks, and the in-raid rewards are all Atrocitus/Red Lantern themed for both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The current leader of the Red Lanterns in the comics is Guy Gardner I think, so they can be good guys.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Figured. Bet the presets will be Guy and Atrocitus

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Spaceman Bill posted:

Figured. Bet the presets will be Guy and Atrocitus

I don't know that it will be Guy, though I can't think who else they'd put there. There was a Red Lantern or too pre-New 52 that were the 'good' voices in the faction.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wait it's JUST Red? I thought the Hero side would get Blue Lanterns... weird.

So Red Lanterns do get constructs... right? Does that mean both sides will have the same moves and visual effects, because I could see that being loving retarded in PvP, even if they slightly tweak certain ones like they did with the hand clap and a few others on Green/Yellow.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Fuzz posted:

Wait it's JUST Red? I thought the Hero side would get Blue Lanterns... weird.

So Red Lanterns do get constructs... right? Does that mean both sides will have the same moves and visual effects, because I could see that being loving retarded in PvP, even if they slightly tweak certain ones like they did with the hand clap and a few others on Green/Yellow.

IIRC Blue Lanterns will show up in the game but won't be playable. It's Red Lanterns for both factions. Reds do get constructs (not sure if they can combo them though) stuff IIRC but also their own abilities (puking blood/plasma etc) as well as their special mechanic being the blood rage thing where they are unkillable for X seconds but all the damage they would have taken gets applied at the end of the power.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Anybody else having trouble getting to their account details on SOE's website? Was thinking of upgrading so I could try this tomorrow, but apparently SOE does not want my money.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm still Legendary, so Bloody Hemmorhoid will be out and leveling! (I pick the worst names)

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Fuzz posted:

I'm still Legendary, so Bloody Hemmorhoid will be out and leveling! (I pick the worst names)

Sadly that may end up being tame compared to female Red Lantern names.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Ooh mogo's vendor sells 224.1 DPS weapons for 70 Marks of Reality each.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I saw what I'm positive was a Red Lantern emblem on someone, is that a vendor thing?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Spaceman Bill posted:

I saw what I'm positive was a Red Lantern emblem on someone, is that a vendor thing?

Atrocitus gear can be found a) in style-only form from vendors on Mogo/Ranx or b) as drops (and the current 'best' gear) in the new Operations.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
So I hit level 30 and am ready for this to not be a single-player game. I know there apparently isn't a goon guild on USPS anymore but is anyone a part of a noob-friendly guild? Bonus points if it isn't called xXDeathHitlerXx or something.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

i only have three days of legendary left and i can't decide on a hero or villain for rage :ohdear:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm not sure it's worth it for right now, some leaguemates are telling me that it seems super situational and they don't know what the hell the situation for it IS.

It might also be buggy given that even when you're in rage mode a good crit can apparently take you down.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm liking it so far. Some of the moves cancel Rage Crash if you're using them when it happens, so as long as you have some power (or supercharge, since one of them does the same thing) you get invulnerability for free. I'm only level 6 or so right now, but I could see it becoming really nice later, looking at some of the power descriptions.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Little bit of backstory: in the real world I'm a veteran with a traumatic brain injury. Every time I quit a game for a few months I have to completely relearn the game. It's a bit frustrating.

So I played the game for a couple of years and then quit while I waited for a decent powerset or some theme I liked.

I'm a giant red lantern fanboy (although completely sad that they're destroying the house that Geoff Johns built in the comics these days)... even have a red lantern hoodie irl.

I came back today.... had to switch my main over and all my gear was for precision dps (hardlight).

I'm completely hosed, underskilled, and overwhelmed.

I know nothing of bases. Nothing of this powerset and I've only got a CR of 64.

Suggestions on what to do to earn better gear fast? What powers in this powerset to use? Or should I just reroll completely?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hey, so just a heads up on a kind of deal of the century thing.

If you are playing planetside2, interested in planetside 2, or maybe even everquest, get that $30/3month legandary sub now.

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/the-new-soe-all-access-plan-faq.189113/

TLDR: Your sub will be switched to an all access pass even at the old locked in rate. If you are a lifetimer to dcuo, you'll be a lifetimer to all soe games till dcuo is shut down (they also announced the closing of 4 games).

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Zip posted:

Little bit of backstory: in the real world I'm a veteran with a traumatic brain injury. Every time I quit a game for a few months I have to completely relearn the game. It's a bit frustrating.

So I played the game for a couple of years and then quit while I waited for a decent powerset or some theme I liked.

I'm a giant red lantern fanboy (although completely sad that they're destroying the house that Geoff Johns built in the comics these days)... even have a red lantern hoodie irl.

I came back today.... had to switch my main over and all my gear was for precision dps (hardlight).

I'm completely hosed, underskilled, and overwhelmed.

I know nothing of bases. Nothing of this powerset and I've only got a CR of 64.

Suggestions on what to do to earn better gear fast? What powers in this powerset to use? Or should I just reroll completely?

At CR 64, I believe what you need to do is get some guys to run you through T3 raids to get the CR70 T3 gear, until you have the minimum CR needed to buy a SPARC II weapon from the Central City vendor for your role. That, plus the T3 gear, will let you get into T4 stuff, which is where you'll grind for T4 gear until you hit the magic 84 number.

At 84, you will get access to two Legends Challenges, which drop CR81ish "green" gear. Do not be fooled. Anything above CR80 is head and shoulders better than what comes previously. It is a ridiculously massive power boost. Switch to that stuff ASAP. You will also get access to the Gotham Wasteland and Trigon's Prison. Trigon's Prison will give you a ridiculously awesome 170dps weapon which will keep you in good shape, as well as various dribs and drabs of CR84 gear. It is also extremely easy. On the flipside, you will end up dealing with CR snobs, so it might be best to find some friends who know that Trigon is easy.

You will not be able to get into the Raids/8-man Ops (Assault & Battery, Paradox, Nexus) because the CR requirements on pugging those are absolutely ridiculous. Don't worry about them and pretend they don't exist for now. Your time is better spent doing the Dailies, the T5 duos with a good partner when you have the optional bosses unlocked, and farming Raven.

I'm assuming you have all the DLC. If you do, you don't want to spend many Marks of Reality (the stuff the CR84+ content drops). This is because, given that you're implying you have Rage, you probably have Legendary and thus free Replay Badges. Farm the poo poo out of Raven (just leech off of a group, she's a 4-man enemy who can easily be dogpiled by 16 players) for CR85 Corrupted gear and more Marks. The moment you have CR95 (which is actually surprisingly easy if you use the new synthetic mods you can buy-A bunch of Synthetic IIIs, which require very few marks once you can reliably farm T4 will get you to 95 fairly quickly) you'll probably want to buy the rings and neckpiece that the Gotham Wasteland vendors sell, since those are the highest-level rings/neckpiece you can get.

The Rage DLC also comes with a vendor who sells 220 DPS weapons for 70 marks of reality, which is where your endgoal is. Ask me about any of these things if you need more detail.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

MJ12 posted:

The moment you have CR95 (which is actually surprisingly easy if you use the new synthetic mods you can buy-A bunch of Synthetic IIIs, which require very few marks once you can reliably farm T4 will get you to 95 fairly quickly) you'll probably want to buy the rings and neckpiece that the Gotham Wasteland vendors sell, since those are the highest-level rings/neckpiece you can get.

The Rage DLC also comes with a vendor who sells 220 DPS weapons for 70 marks of reality, which is where your endgoal is. Ask me about any of these things if you need more detail.

I need to check but I think you're wrong here, there are rings and neck at CR90 from the Mogo/Ranx vendor (which top the one in the Wasteland, those are 86), and I THINK you don't need to be CR95 for any of this anymore, just 84. I don't know if that's kicked in yet...

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I need to check but I think you're wrong here, there are rings and neck at CR90 from the Mogo/Ranx vendor (which top the one in the Wasteland, those are 86), and I THINK you don't need to be CR95 for any of this anymore, just 84. I don't know if that's kicked in yet...

Oh, in that case that's even better, ignore all the rings and jump to CR90.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Double-checked: yep. All the T5 gear just needs CR84 to purchase now. And there are weapons at the very bottom of the WotL vendor too, so you can get a full set of CR90 gear out the gate with the marks.

This is kind of crazy to me just because if you have Legendary/all three T5 expansions, you've got basically 9-10 MoRs a day from dailies alone, and you can just throw them right into the strongest non-Op gear.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Double-checked: yep. All the T5 gear just needs CR84 to purchase now. And there are weapons at the very bottom of the WotL vendor too, so you can get a full set of CR90 gear out the gate with the marks.

This is kind of crazy to me just because if you have Legendary/all three T5 expansions, you've got basically 9-10 MoRs a day from dailies alone, and you can just throw them right into the strongest non-Op gear.

Wow. That's awesome.

I'm basically grinding as many MoRs as I can get so that when the Rage DLC drops for non-Legendaries I can get a serious business gear upgrade.

Actually, I'm curious. Does anyone have a good picture of how it looks?

(Also, Traces in Time is an amazing looking set of armor which makes me super-sad that I need to run CR Snobbery: The Raid to get it)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

MJ12 posted:

(Also, Traces in Time is an amazing looking set of armor which makes me super-sad that I need to run CR Snobbery: The Raid to get it)

Get ready for THAT to get worse. I've got people telling me that the new ops are a meat-grinder for now and it's probably going to devolve into the same stupid "the tricks aren't incredibly obvious but nobody wants to teach new people the tricks so let's only run with CR (number you can only get after completing the instance) people".

They're supposedly not Paradox/Nexus "complex" hard though, so that's a plus.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 25, 2014

I-No
Aug 1, 2003

Wicked Witch of the South
I was hoping to see Dex-Starr around with his blood-barf attack, but alas no. However despite not being really big into the Lantern stories as other DC stuff, I'm liking the adventure and characters.

It's certainly not as stressful as Origin Crisis, but I wouldn't call it easy, either. Fun: yes.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
The WoTL1 solo missions have a weekly lock not a daily one. Which is a bit annoying since one of them offers a Mark of Reality for picking up things without having to fight anything.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Giedroyc posted:

The WoTL1 solo missions have a weekly lock not a daily one. Which is a bit annoying since one of them offers a Mark of Reality for picking up things without having to fight anything.

poo poo, seriously? Well, that's a bit of a kick in the dick.

I really need to get to trying those so I'm not going off hearsay on some of the new details.

I-No posted:

I was hoping to see Dex-Starr around with his blood-barf attack, but alas no.

This is apparently an ability for people with the Rage powerset (I ran with a DPS who kept puking at every opportunity earlier), so it could still happen sometime.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Does anyone still play this game?

I bought the game when it was launched but it didn't hold my attention.

I just got back in and I'm almost 30.

Edit: Also, I am really confused by getting costumes. There's a lot of of the common costume pieces that I notice are not available at all via the vendor.

jerichojx fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 26, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hah, the high population wait time for premium members is longer than the one for free members on PS4 at the moment.

Anyone on, I guess Euro, PS4 servers want to run some early-game duos? Pubbies are fuckin' hopeless at OMAC Base.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Is anyone in a USPS league that takes on new players? It seems like pubbies are on the "CRXX only!!" plan. I'm not looking to be carried through content but I have enjoyed playing games with goons. DCUO has been a lot of fun but without a social element I'm going to burn out on max level stuff. PSN Brownview, character name Browntroller.

MJ12 posted:

At CR 64, I believe what you need to do is get some guys to run you through T3 raids to get the CR70 T3 gear, until you have the minimum CR needed to buy a SPARC II weapon from the Central City vendor for your role. That, plus the T3 gear, will let you get into T4 stuff, which is where you'll grind for T4 gear until you hit the magic 84 number.

At 84, you will get access to two Legends Challenges, which drop CR81ish "green" gear. Do not be fooled. Anything above CR80 is head and shoulders better than what comes previously. It is a ridiculously massive power boost. Switch to that stuff ASAP. You will also get access to the Gotham Wasteland and Trigon's Prison. Trigon's Prison will give you a ridiculously awesome 170dps weapon which will keep you in good shape, as well as various dribs and drabs of CR84 gear. It is also extremely easy. On the flipside, you will end up dealing with CR snobs, so it might be best to find some friends who know that Trigon is easy.

You will not be able to get into the Raids/8-man Ops (Assault & Battery, Paradox, Nexus) because the CR requirements on pugging those are absolutely ridiculous. Don't worry about them and pretend they don't exist for now. Your time is better spent doing the Dailies, the T5 duos with a good partner when you have the optional bosses unlocked, and farming Raven.

I'm assuming you have all the DLC. If you do, you don't want to spend many Marks of Reality (the stuff the CR84+ content drops). This is because, given that you're implying you have Rage, you probably have Legendary and thus free Replay Badges. Farm the poo poo out of Raven (just leech off of a group, she's a 4-man enemy who can easily be dogpiled by 16 players) for CR85 Corrupted gear and more Marks. The moment you have CR95 (which is actually surprisingly easy if you use the new synthetic mods you can buy-A bunch of Synthetic IIIs, which require very few marks once you can reliably farm T4 will get you to 95 fairly quickly) you'll probably want to buy the rings and neckpiece that the Gotham Wasteland vendors sell, since those are the highest-level rings/neckpiece you can get.

This is an excellent roadmap, thanks! I've been playing quantum DPS but wouldn't mind controlling, I just seem to put out more damage than pubs. Assuming every other player is terrible, do you think alerts would go more smoothly if I queued as DPS or controller?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Generally you'll want to queue as a Controller, because there is almost always a huge shortage of them. Furthermore, as a Controller really all you have to do to be 'competent' and not get the ire of your group is:

1. Keep everyone's blue bars up

2. Not die.

A good Controller will manage to do that and do actual CC/debuffs on everyone, which makes stuff go a hell of a lot smoother, but an okay one is adequate for most content, especially given that pubbies generally want you to be ridiculously overgeared for the thing in question.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Good deal. Dumb question: can/should I wear DPS gear while controlling for the lower-level content to try to speed things up? Or would the absence of vitalization make being a blue bar healer impossible?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Brownview posted:

Good deal. Dumb question: can/should I wear DPS gear while controlling for the lower-level content to try to speed things up? Or would the absence of vitalization make being a blue bar healer impossible?

Go pure Controller, your damage loss isn't that much, it's not uncommon that you get ridiculously overgeared people queueing for lower-level content just to get some extra marks/styles/feats, and you might as well get used to pure Controller in the meantime.

Of course, I don't play Controllers so take all this advice with a grain of salt. But most of the Controllers I see don't have any DPS gear on them.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
This game seems crazy grindy.

I bought out Tier 1 and now moving to Tier 2 and the MoT requirements are crazy.

Is there a better way?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

jerichojx posted:

This game seems crazy grindy.

I bought out Tier 1 and now moving to Tier 2 and the MoT requirements are crazy.

Is there a better way?

Mark gains in tier 2 are consummately higher.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
If I sub for just one month, can I just make all the characters from all the DLCs I want and keep them?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jerichojx posted:

If I sub for just one month, can I just make all the characters from all the DLCs I want and keep them?

Yep.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
What exactly do you get from $15 that would make you stay though?

The alerts and raids and poo poo?

Doesn't seem particularly compelling.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jerichojx posted:

What exactly do you get from $15 that would make you stay though?

The alerts and raids and poo poo?

Doesn't seem particularly compelling.

No money cap. No cap on weekly/daily rewards. Free base with all the poo poo in it. All the expansion content without paying for any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Fuzz posted:

No money cap. No cap on vault runs. Free base with all the poo poo in it. All the expansion content without paying for any of it.

(You're still capped on weekly/daily things, but you get to run the Vault every day instead of every 3/7 for premium/free, and you get 125 replay badges a month to spend on resetting rewards.)

And soon, it's also going to include things like "early access to expansions", "discounts in the cash shop", and some other things, not counting that that $15 means "you're subbed to every SOE game for one fee".

They just announced that bit, kicks in in April.

• Locked thread