Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

What do you guys do with people who salt things before they even taste them? Should you build in a salt deficit to ensure that your culinary vision doesn't get compromised?

Beat them with the salt shaker, it is the only option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

What do you guys do with people who salt things before they even taste them? Should you build in a salt deficit to ensure that your culinary vision doesn't get compromised?

Assault them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

I'm well into sous vide as a technique, but the food savers are just a huge pain to use in reality for the application. the 'no liquids' thing is a HUGE dealbreaker - and even when I am doing something that is relatively dry (like a duck leg for confit or something), the unit is just not good enough at removing air - there is almost always a small enough pocket that will expand during cooking due to steam, etc - and the SV bag will float. really annoying. I've had a few broken seals too due to moisture getting sucked up into the sealing area, and preventing a good seal. I now seal 2-3 times when there's any moisture in the bag, just to make sure - but it's still a pretty big flaw.
I feel like there must be some weird thing that you're doing that I can't imagine that is giving you all these problems. I mean yeah it's a little more of a pain to seal something with a bunch of liquid than it is to just bag up a slab of animal protein or whatever, but it's never seemed like a big deal to me.

When I'm bagging up something wet I'll cut the bag longer, seal the one end, roll up some of the open end (to keep any wet poo poo from getting on the part that's going to get sealed), add the food, unroll the end, kinda get most of the air out of the bag by hand (like a burping a ziplock bag before closing it), then start the vacuum, cutting it off as soon as it starts wicking the liquid up the bag. Then just seal off the end like you do the first end (that is, just using the sealer without pulling a vacuum on the bag). All typed out like that it sounds like more than it is, it's really just like a second or two more effort/concentration/whatever than using the sealer `normally'.

I usually double-seal too, but I've never actually had a seal fail before, and I've never had problems with the bag ballooning up. And that includes doing poo poo that's all liquid, like scrambled eggs.

everyone else posted:

I'm so goddamn mad about salt.
It's interesting how different cultures approach this differently. Adjust the seasoning at the table and a Chinese mother is likely to bury a cleaver in your forehead. But a Thai mother would be just as surprised if you didn't use nam prik/nam pla condiment sauces to adjust the seasoning.

Me, I kinda think people who habitually adjust seasoning on food they're served is a little silly, but in the end it's their mouth that's eating it. It's kinda how I feel about people who avoid various foods for non-medical (or self-diagnosed) reasons---they're cheating themselves out of some of the great pleasures in life, but that's its own punishment.

With at-the-table seasoning I think the thing that really `converted' me to being agnostic about it was talking with ultra-hardcore cheese snobs, who'll get all weepy and tell you you're doing it wrong if you consume many cheeses any way other than as part of an isolated cheese course. I don't want to be that guy. More than I care about whether or not some schnook is oversalting his loving steak florentine or whatever the gently caress.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

copen posted:

Yeah skip the salt one and get the oxo pepper grinder for 20 bux.

Grinding salt is dumb. I have one I got as a gift though.

I need a new pepper mill actually. I want a Peugeot but the unicorn magnum is probably better.

I've owned both. I have a GIANT Magnum, had the wooden Peugeot, and a small magnum, and a magnum salt grinder. Salt grinders suck, and are a waste of time. The magnum makes SO MUCH PEPPER OMG. But the Peugeot will grind it super duper fine. Magnum won't come close to how finely the Peugeot will. Also, Peugeot has a much more sensible filling mechanism: a cap that sticks atop it with magnets. If you don't need absolute tablespoons of pepper, just get the Peugeot.

EDIT: I carry a shaker of kosher salt with me, because restaurants can't be arsed to have salt on the table. Why? Because I really like things just this side of the lethal dose of salt. It's not that I don't appreciate someone's cooking.

Also, people freaking never salt their vegetables enough. QQ It's like, they'll spend all this time salting the meat, or the potatoes (not really, even potatoes feel really undersalted most of the time), and then ignore the fact that salad greens need salt. There are few pleasures as great as a big bowl of crisp lettuce greens, a squeeze of lime, a few pinches of salt, and a fork to eat it with.

dino. fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 23, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oxo pepper grinder sucks. Even at the finest setting the grounds are randomly huge or tiny. Get any other grinder, seriously.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Oxo pepper grinder sucks. Even at the finest setting the grounds are randomly huge or tiny. Get any other grinder, seriously.
This one? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L0OOQM/

Or this one? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CDP6EE/

copen
Feb 2, 2003

dino. posted:

I've owned both. I have a GIANT Magnum, had the wooden Peugeot, and a small magnum, and a magnum salt grinder. Salt grinders suck, and are a waste of time. The magnum makes SO MUCH PEPPER OMG. But the Peugeot will grind it super duper fine. Magnum won't come close to how finely the Peugeot will. Also, Peugeot has a much more sensible filling mechanism: a cap that sticks atop it with magnets. If you don't need absolute tablespoons of pepper, just get the Peugeot.

EDIT: I carry a shaker of kosher salt with me, because restaurants can't be arsed to have salt on the table. Why? Because I really like things just this side of the lethal dose of salt. It's not that I don't appreciate someone's cooking.

Also, people freaking never salt their vegetables enough. QQ It's like, they'll spend all this time salting the meat, or the potatoes (not really, even potatoes feel really undersalted most of the time), and then ignore the fact that salad greens need salt. There are few pleasures as great as a big bowl of crisp lettuce greens, a squeeze of lime, a few pinches of salt, and a fork to eat it with.

I think you sold me on a Peugeot. I have desired one for a long time, I might as well do it.

Yeah people would probably even like vegetables if they salted them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

dino. posted:

Green vegetables are one of the best ways in the world to get a feel for the flavour-enhancing properties of salt. Like start out with some unseasoned broccoli and gradually add salt and watch that poo poo go from `okay, it's broccoli' to `holy poo poo that's good' before hitting `too drat salty'. It's like a loving magic trick.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Second one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Second one.
drat, guess I'll be taking it off my wish list. It's such a nice design though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dino. posted:

I really like a coarse grind of my black pepper because I enjoy chewing the little bits of peppercorn while eating my meal. The lingering burn hurts so good. But if superfine pepper is what you're after, you're right, the Magnum can only go so fine...still quite fine, but not powder-fine like I suppose is possible with the Peugeot (though I can't really comment on it as I've never used one).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mindphlux posted:

I am certainly not advocating for making 2 2-egg omelettes for one person. I'd just make a two egg omelette for one person, and eat some yogurt and bacon and toast and poo poo to go with.

what I'm saying is 4 eggs in an 8 inch pan won't make an omelette. it'll make a goddamn goopy gay stupid as poo poo eggcake. I'm just advocating proper technique. If you are dead set on using 4 eggs, to get a proper omelette I'd use either a 12 inch pan, or make 2 2-egg omelettes.

This whole time I've been eating 3-egg omelets.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

lol, me too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

you guys are literally hitler :godwin:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

copen posted:

lol, me too.

If I only have 2 eggs I make them sunny side up.

My reasoning for 3 eggs is that if I'm cooking breakfast, chances are there's someone over so you get 2 breakfasts of 2 omelets out of a dozen eggs if you use 3 eggs. If you use 4 eggs you need more than a dozen eggs or someone has to eat pop-tarts.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
All this serious salt discussion and I feel the most salient point was missed-

mich posted:

I use a salt shaker mainly to salt toast

You salt toast?
:psypop:

But for serious, the majority of people going on low-sodium diets are doing it for hypertension. If they're eating a homecooked meal and watching their portion sizes, salt used in preperation isn't nearly as big of a deal as most people think. The point of a low-sodium diet is mostly cutting out processed foods. Unless you have a dish that's meant to be finished with salt anyway, it would be better to take regular health steps like eliminating processed meats from a dish and then salting it properly for the enjoyment of everyone.

SubG posted:

Like start out with some unseasoned broccoli and gradually add salt and watch that poo poo go from `okay, it's broccoli' to `holy poo poo that's good' before hitting `too drat salty'. It's like a loving magic trick.

gently caress that poo poo, deep-fry cauliflower. Sprinkle a little salt and don't let your mother hear you eating it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A veeeeeery light dusting of salt on buttered toast is actually nice.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Steve Yun posted:

A veeeeeery light dusting of salt on buttered toast is actually nice.

I sometimes buy salted butter explicitly for putting on toast, bagels and the occasional english muffin.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah unsalted butter on toast is horrible, it's a bland smeary fat mess. I like spreadable butter for toast because it goes on easily straight from the fridge and is still just butter: http://www.landolakes.com/Products/Custom/15127.aspx

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I need a new ~1 cu. ft countertop microwave. I saw one that might not be total poo poo on consumer reports, but of course since it was rated a year ago there have been a trillion different model variations since then. As a result of this constant "innovation" there's never an internet consensus (probably because most consumer appliances are shittily made anyway).

Also, Panasonic claims to have achieved magnetron magic with their inverter technology that allows "variable power" microwaves that goes beyond just pulsing on/off, but I'm dubious.

I just want to reheat and defrost without too much thought. Any recs?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cold butter is the saddest butter for toast though :( even if you get whipped spreadable stuff the cold subdues all the sweet (and funky if cultured) flavors of the butter

Room temp Butter crock 4 lyfe

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Here's a product I can recommend for the product recommendation thread: link

If you're decadent and bourgeois like Grav, buy the La Creuset.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Here's a product I can recommend for the product recommendation thread: link

If you're decadent and bourgeois like Grav, buy the La Creuset.

hey now, I got my le creuset butter crock from homegoods for 10bux.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

marmot25 posted:

I need a new ~1 cu. ft countertop microwave. I saw one that might not be total poo poo on consumer reports, but of course since it was rated a year ago there have been a trillion different model variations since then. As a result of this constant "innovation" there's never an internet consensus (probably because most consumer appliances are shittily made anyway).

Also, Panasonic claims to have achieved magnetron magic with their inverter technology that allows "variable power" microwaves that goes beyond just pulsing on/off, but I'm dubious.

I've been super happy with my LG over the stove microwave that was a CR pick about 5 years ago. If there's a nice LG countertop model I would check it out. There's no fancy magnetron magic, but it has been rock solid in reliability and cooks stuff really well for a microwave.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got a Panasonic magnetron microwave at Costco and it seems to do its job. I never really use it except to make microwave popcorn. My wife reheats stuff in it.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Yah, I salt my toast because I don't keep salted butter around. Just a little bit.

Or the same day I bake the bread I won't even bother toasting, just smear on the butter and a bit of salt.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

marmot25 posted:

Go to Walmart. Get a $50 one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-0.9-cu-ft-Microwave-Black/28518996 Move on. A microwave isn't something to get fancy about and spring a bunch of money on.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dino. posted:

Go to Walmart. Get a $50 one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-0.9-cu-ft-Microwave-Black/28518996 Move on. A microwave isn't something to get fancy about and spring a bunch of money on.

Really going to disagree here. The bigger and more powerful the microwave, the better. Nobody likes Hot Pockets that never warm up on the inside or leftovers that take 5 minutes to warm up. Not to mention interior space... Going from a $50 800-watt model that you can't fit a tall coffee cup in, or a big dinner plate, to a $130 1200 watt model that you could fit a small child in and will have no problem heating things up is a HUGE advantage.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Nobody likes Hot Pockets
truth

Really though, we've got a tiny "underpowered" microwave that does around 900 watts and we really have no issues with it, no food that ends up cold in the center and leftovers typically take 2-4 minutes to heat up and even if it took longer that's still a miraculously fast time to heat up solid pieces of meat so i agree with dino and a $50 microwave is fine.

I would recommend Big Lots or other closeout stores for small appliances if there are any in your area over Walmart but I seem to find them cheapest there

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't think there's a goon-approved microwave, so I'd just get what makes sense for you off of Amazon. (This isn't super-helpful post, but for some products there are obviously best courses of action and in this case the hivemind has no opinion)

phthalocyanine posted:

truth

Really though, we've got a tiny "underpowered" microwave that does around 900 watts and we really have no issues with it, no food that ends up cold in the center and leftovers typically take 2-4 minutes to heat up and even if it took longer that's still a miraculously fast time to heat up solid pieces of meat so i agree with dino and a $50 microwave is fine.

I would recommend Big Lots or other closeout stores for small appliances if there are any in your area over Walmart but I seem to find them cheapest there
I had a 32 ounce redi-tainer full of frozen beef stock and it took ten minutes or so to thaw out. I'm perfectly happy with mine - I got it off of Craigslist for $20 and I'm planning on moving out fairly soon - but if I were buying a permanent fixture I'd probably invest the extra money to get one that could take a few minutes off of that.

Plus I bring water to a boil in a redi-tainer in the microwave to re-heat my sous-vided eggs in, so there are some uses for getting a faster heat on.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 27, 2014

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I'm might be redoing my kitchen soon and am looking for recommendations on counter surface type. I have probably 40-50 sqft of counter top. It's a galley style kitchen and I probably wouldn't be doing anything with the cabinets just yet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm just bitter because I've had to use a POS microwave at work in a broom closet to re-heat my lunch while they remodel the building that has our real lunch room with real microwaves in it.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

I was being flippant about it but really I hate defrosting/thawing in the microwave because it does take forever in a 900w model and it seems like a huge waste of electricity to run a microwave for 10+ minutes. If you thaw in a microwave a lot, it probably is worth investing in a better model.

And if you can spend the money on a sous vide machine there's probably no reason you can't also buy a nice $200-$300 microwave, but if someone's looking to go cheap, lower end microwaves aren't a huge jump off high end microwaves in my experience

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

LTBS posted:

I'm might be redoing my kitchen soon and am looking for recommendations on counter surface type. I have probably 40-50 sqft of counter top. It's a galley style kitchen and I probably wouldn't be doing anything with the cabinets just yet.

Really, really happy with the granite tile I had put in for my countertop. Found some nice 12"x12" tiles on clearance for $5 each at a local tile store, and used epoxy based grout to go with them. Labor and material was a little less than $1000 for my countertop and backsplash, which is a nice deal for granite. Going for a whole slab would have been nice because you can easily do a countersunk sink, but the cost jumps waaaay up. If I didn't do granite I was thinking of falling back to a premium laminate and just saving until I could do it right with stone. Not a big fan of the look of Corian or most solid surfaces.

If you're thinking of redoing the cabinets at some point, it might not be worth dumping a lot into the countertop since it will just be ripped out again. Check out the pre-fab laminate countertops you can find at home stores, like this. For a couple hundred bucks you can get some sections and cut them down to the size you need, so the install is pretty easy. Put a nice drop in stainless sink in and call it a day.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I'd go all stainless counters and shelving, no cabinets. But that's literally because I only care about function.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'd go all stainless counters and shelving, no cabinets. But that's literally because I only care about function.

Could probably pull it off in a galley kitchen. I'd be worried about stainless counters getting scratched up from pots and pans getting tossed down though. Ikea has nice solid wood countertops that aren't super expensive: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50153774/ No need for a cutting board--when they look too scratched up just take a sander to them and cover in mineral oil.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bob Morales posted:

copen posted:

lol, me too.

what

I literally don't even understand what happened here :psyduck:

I eat 3 egg omelets too sometimes. I'm just saying the number of eggs you use dictates the size of pan you cook with. :psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

copen
Feb 2, 2003
yeah and 3 eggs works pretty well in my 10 inch pan ;)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
here I'll make a nifty chart

• 2 egg omelet - 8in pan
  • 3 egg omelet - 10in pan
  • 4-5 egg omelet - 12in pan

I realize the surface area of the pan to spread-out-egg-thickness doesn't progress linearly, but it's just what you do to cook an omelet goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

copen posted:

yeah and 3 eggs works pretty well in my 10 inch pan ;)

EXACTLY

IM JUST SAYING DONT PUT 4 EGGS IN AN 8 INCH PAN

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG :horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:
:horse::horse::horse::horse:

• Locked thread