Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have never made an omelet. Sunny side up is so good I can never not cook them that way. But I have to break the yoke in the pan so I end up with a lightly cooked mess and so I cant just eat the yoke all in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

phthalocyanine posted:

I was being flippant about it but really I hate defrosting/thawing in the microwave because it does take forever in a 900w model and it seems like a huge waste of electricity to run a microwave for 10+ minutes. If you thaw in a microwave a lot, it probably is worth investing in a better model.

I'd always assumed (wrongly it seems?) that defrost mode was just the micro running at a lower power setting. And the model's wattage only really mattered on the full power setting. Kind of like spin speed on a washing machines.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mindphlux posted:

• 4-5 egg omelet - 12in pan

5 eggs do you own a chicken farm?

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

MeKeV posted:

I'd always assumed (wrongly it seems?) that defrost mode was just the micro running at a lower power setting. And the model's wattage only really mattered on the full power setting. Kind of like spin speed on a washing machines.

Yeah, you shouldn't defrost at full power, but better microwaves are more efficient and have better settings to defrost. I have definitely defrosted faster in other microwaves than in our current one. The last time I tried to defrost a pound of frozen chicken, it told me it'd take 20 minutes, and I made something else instead.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Bob Morales posted:

5 eggs do you own a chicken farm?
5 eggs have 350 calories. It's not nearly outrageous (I find the 2-egg thing really nutritionally confusing, really - 140 calories for the filling part of your meal?)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

MeKeV posted:

Actually that's the only reason to get a modern higher-powered one, older generations of microwaves pulsed the magnetron on/off for defrosting, in fact, for any power-level related function (1-10 standing for on 10-100% of the time, for example). Modern microwaves (those advertised as "inverter" by panasonic for example) modulate the output of the power supply and provide a constant lower-energy output.

edit: So if you get an older micro: lower power. If you get a modern micro: Highest power you can afford.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'd go all stainless counters and shelving, no cabinets. But that's literally because I only care about function.

I've thought about doing that but I also have to worry about resale at some point. Might do shelves higher up and a butcher block countertop.

The more I think about it and taking mod sassinator's reply into account, I think it's probably best that I wait to do everything at once (including new appliances thank god). I have a 24" wall oven that I want to replace since most of my sheet pans don't fit in there.

No gas line yet, but that might get run for a dual fuel range. mmmmmmm ideas

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
re: microwaves.

I have one of these. It's pretty awesome. It's got some fancy sensors that measure humidity and temperature, so generally I can pop something in there to reheat and not have to check it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

No Wave posted:

5 eggs have 350 calories. It's not nearly outrageous (I find the 2-egg thing really nutritionally confusing, really - 140 calories for the filling part of your meal?)

Because you add in things to the omelet to make it more filling. You also eat it with toast/other things.

Also 3 egg omelets are correct.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Thanks for microwave recommendations/comforting thoughts. I ended up buying one very similar to that Panasonic, mainly because it was the "no thought" option since it was Prime-able and Amazon's most highly rated.

I never really thought too much about microwaves until I had a terrible one. The last unit I had was over(?)powered, broke its turntable plate in half at one point and never cooked anything evenly yet wouldn't die so I just put up with it until it recently kicked the bucket.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mindphlux posted:

I realize the surface area of the pan... doesn't progress linearly [with respect to diameter], but it's just what you do to cook an omelet goddamnit.
A monumental contribution to mathematics, right here in the GWS product recommendation thread.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Doh004 posted:

Because you add in things to the omelet to make it more filling. You also eat it with toast/other things.

Also 3 egg omelets are correct.

DYEL?

2-3 eggs are fine if it's a side to a big portion of bacon and baked beans or something. If the eggs are the main star then 5-6 is a decent baseline.

Also I don't understand why you heathen foreigners insist on using unsalted butter for anything but baking. It's completely irrational. Here unsalted butter is usually hidden away in a sad little corner for,I assume, obese gluttons on low sodium diets.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 27, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

DekeThornton posted:

Also I don't understand why you heathen foreginers insist on using unsalted butter for anything but baking. It's completely irrational. Here unsalted butter is usually hidden away in a sad little corner for,I assume, obese gluttons on low sodium diets.
It seems like salted butter is only useful as a spread, ie, when it has the potential to be applied directly at the table. Is there a reason to use it for anything else? I'd rather have 100% control over my seasoning in every other context.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I use salted butter all the time, for almost everything. My wife uses unsalted butter when she bakes. I don't usually have problems with salt levels, but I usually just put slightly less salt in when I use salted butter.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Holy hell, that's an acronym? drat.

And no, no I don't :btroll:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Arcturas posted:

I use salted butter all the time, for almost everything. My wife uses unsalted butter when she bakes. I don't usually have problems with salt levels, but I usually just put slightly less salt in when I use salted butter.
I prefer having "fancy" salted butter, like with Fleur de Sel, and boring unsalted butter. Cooking's way easier with fewer variables.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

No Wave posted:

Is there a reason to use it for anything else?

Now see, this is a question that only a person not coming from a food culture shaped by countless generations basing their diet around salted cod and herring, occasionally interrupted by salted pig, could ask.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Yeah, it's not like the butter remains unsalted. I use unsalted so I can control the salt and what type of salt.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

DekeThornton posted:

Also I don't understand why you heathen foreigners insist on using unsalted butter for anything but baking. It's completely irrational. Here unsalted butter is usually hidden away in a sad little corner for,I assume, obese gluttons on low sodium diets.

To be fair, my mother, who has rarely ever cooked for anything other than entirely functional, family-feeding purposes*, always cooked and baked with salted butter. I don't think using unsalted butter to cook with is a thing of the nation.

* Weekly rotation of meatloaf, ground beef tacos, spaghetti with ground beef until I was around 14. Come to think of it, I doubt my mom ever cooked with butter at all, which is probably why she only ever had salted on hand

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

phthalocyanine posted:

* Weekly rotation of meatloaf, ground beef tacos, spaghetti with ground beef until I was around 14.

Add in hamburger helper, meatballs and fried-hard pork chops and we're twins.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Don't forget taco salad casserole, smothered in Dorritos!

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

marmot25 posted:

Thanks for microwave recommendations/comforting thoughts. I ended up buying one very similar to that Panasonic, mainly because it was the "no thought" option since it was Prime-able and Amazon's most highly rated.

I never really thought too much about microwaves until I had a terrible one. The last unit I had was over(?)powered, broke its turntable plate in half at one point and never cooked anything evenly yet wouldn't die so I just put up with it until it recently kicked the bucket.

I've had this exact microwave (from Amazon as well) for over a year now and I love it. It has more modes than I will usually fuss around with, as I'm usually of the mindset that I want to press a button or two and that's it. So the "reheat" button and the dial knob (and then pressing a button) are usually what I use. I've used it for dehydrating as well and that's when I found the invertor power settings useful.

The only part I don't like is there is no light inside if the microwave isn't running. So if you open the door to check (especially when you're drying something) it's dark inside. A ridiculous oversight on Panasonic's part, but not a dealbreaker for me. Then again, the last microwave I owned had a busted lcd and I bought it out of the backseat of a friend's broke down vehicle. A drat easybake would have been an upgrade.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Add in hamburger helper, meatballs and fried-hard pork chops and we're twins.

I can't believe I forgot the pork chops. Those were my favorite meal in the rotation!!

For reasons I will never understand, my mom cannot cook meatballs. She has made meatloaf my entire life but transitioning the formula from Loaf to Ball has always confounded her. When I was growing up, I was led to believe that many foods were just very difficult to cook, because my mom said so and did not try to cook them. Discovering that any recipe can be perfected with determination and practice was an important transition into adulthood for me.

Edit: sorry for derail. Anyone have any recommendation on a decent food mill for under $50?

phthalocyanine fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 28, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mystes posted:

A monumental contribution to mathematics, right here in the GWS product recommendation thread.

its a well known fact that a pan approaching 30 inches in size would have so much sheer surface area that the pan's collective mass would cause it to begin collapsing upon itself, risking a black hole singularity horizon event from which mankind would never recover.....

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

its a well known fact that a pan approaching 30 inches in size would have so much sheer surface area that the pan's collective mass would cause it to begin collapsing upon itself, risking a black hole singularity horizon event from which mankind would never recover.....

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I use unsalted butter for baking because salted butters have an inconsistent ratio of water content across brands, whereas commodity unsalted has very little variance. I guess it would be fine if I only stuck to one kind of salted (I do) and adjust for the water but there's already been too much math when I make my omelettes.
This was in Cooks Illustrated a few years ago

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Now to blow this thread wide open, behold the 12 egg omelette from Beth's Cafe in Seattle:

That's a large pizza pan that it's served on. When they cook it they basically cover an entire griddle with egg.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
mmm, egg cake on a greasy not really clean pizza tin.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
BEHOLD BETH

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Don't forget taco salad casserole, smothered in Dorritos!

Is there any other use for catalina dressing?

phthalocyanine posted:

For reasons I will never understand, my mom cannot cook meatballs. She has made meatloaf my entire life but transitioning the formula from Loaf to Ball has always confounded her.

Mix onions and crackers into meat. Salt and pepper? What's that? Dump can of cream of mushroom soup (key ingredient in all mom's recipes) over meatballs and cook on the stove!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

mindphlux posted:

BEHOLD BETH

Is that what happens if I don't salt my food properly prior to serving?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

nwin posted:

Is that what happens if I don't salt my food properly prior to serving?

Fortunately, no. It's what happens when you've eaten cheese-and-potatoes every day for every meal for something stupid like 30 years, and then try to eat a brussel sprout.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I've been looking for something to use as a casserole dish, and narrowed my choices down to getting:

A. An enameled braiser, something like this: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/le-creuset-signature-cast-iron/braiser-p125139
B. A large sautepan
C. Casserole pan, this this one from Cuisinart: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP55-24-MultiClad-Stainless-Casserole/dp/B0009W38Q2

I'm steering away from pyrex and stoneware casserole dishes as with my luck, they'll crack in a month's time. Also I like the fact I could easily put any of the above options to use on my stove.

Any input on what to go with? Or suggestions for something entirely different?

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

.Z. posted:

I've been looking for something to use as a casserole dish, and narrowed my choices down to getting:

Any input on what to go with? Or suggestions for something entirely different?

What about restaurant hotel pans? They come in varying sizes + gauges of stainless steel, aren't that expensive, and last forever.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

GigaFool posted:

What about restaurant hotel pans? They come in varying sizes + gauges of stainless steel, aren't that expensive, and last forever.

Should have added that part of the reason for my selected options is so I can go stove to table with it.

Though a square hotel pan could work, will have to take a look at the dimensions.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mindphlux posted:

BEHOLD BETH

I've got to see this clip. Is it on youtube?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJGIMd3_LfY

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Oh my god that is hilarious and awful. I wonder what her bloodwork looks like, she has to have some monstrous nutritional deficiencies if she's not hamming it up for the cameras about only eating starch and cheese for 30 years. I bet her resting blood pressure is like 200/120.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure why it got posted in the products thread though, unless mindphlux wants to post what his experience using her was like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

drat she needs a shrink, big time.

• Locked thread