Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Mister Bates posted:

Been playing more Kaiserreich, and I've noticed the AI has an amusing habit of successfully orchestrating massive breakthroughs in my lines, charging right through them, overextending themselves, then getting cut off and destroyed. Then they regroup, launch a major attack that results in a breakthrough, charge through the hole...etc, etc, etc. I just exterminate their armies five-ten divisions at a time. I don't even have to encircle them, they do a pretty good job of cutting themselves off by only leaving a one-province-wide supply line which they never ever defend. Is this a vanilla DH issue, or is it unique to the mod?

The last few DH patches revamped the combat system, but iirc Kaiserreich didn't revamp the AI alongside it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

YF-23 posted:

Multiplayer EU4 is fun. A bit hard to make timezones work reasonably depending on the crowd, but me (Srbja), wiz (Knights), Rogue0071 (Poland), Viscardus (Venice) and hpgross (Castille) had a pretty lengthy multiplayer game Friday and Saturday nights. The theme of the game being "break the Ottomans".

gently caress the Turks, what about those borders? :frogsiren:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The borders were fixed by province selling. :ssh: Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot of the political mapmode when we stopped, but they are much, much cleaner than that.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

DrSunshine posted:

Also they totally miss the fact that Paradox games still run perfectly fine off your computer, even without Steam!!! What kind of games out there nowadays still do that, I ask you. I swear, grognard gamers are the worst bunch of nerdy crybabies!

As a grognard gamer I would like to correct everyone that these are "Paradox Gamers", not grognards. Paradox Gamers are extremely racist, nationalistic, sexist, hate "ugly borders", etc if you don't forget and hate everything.

Leave grogs out of this, even in the grognard thread here no one ever talks poo poo about Paradox games. The same goes for Matrix and Battlefront forums.

It's all strictly Paradox Gamers.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Necroneocon posted:

As a grognard gamer I would like to correct everyone that these are "Paradox Gamers", not grognards. Paradox Gamers are extremely racist, nationalistic, sexist, hate "ugly borders", etc if you don't forget and hate everything.

Leave grogs out of this, even in the grognard thread here no one ever talks poo poo about Paradox games. The same goes for Matrix and Battlefront forums.

That's rubbish Grognard gamers are the absolute worst especially as their perception of the ideal barely counts as a game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Necroneocon posted:

The anti-steam threads on matrix are way worse than the ones on paradoxplaza.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Political mapmode from that MP game:

Some province renaming to more historical names:

And... something... in Spain.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 26, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...Mordor is a historical province?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Astro Nut posted:

Sounds like you need to read up on your Balkan history a bit. Don't be so West-centric.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

Of course it is, though I'm a little appalled that Neo Bulgaria 3 and Bulgaria X are recognized as separate provinces when everyone knows that the Neo Bulgarians are just a terrorist separatist sect rebelling against the glory of Bulgaria X, and furthermore

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Astro Nut posted:

We must retake the serbian homeland of the shire

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Historical capital Fanagoria is clearly Commonwealth clay, however.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bad Hoes is a great spanish province.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

I know it's not quite north enough but it works. I had to make several compromises as you can see with Venice and the Bay of Pigs which are also slightly off, but I think I mostly pinned it down right.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
It's good to see that Spain is flooding Europe with purestrain gold via $$$Cash4Gold$$$. Too many histories neglect this fact.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

YF-23 posted:

I know it's not quite north enough but it works. I had to make several compromises as you can see with Venice and the Bay of Pigs which are also slightly off, but I think I mostly pinned it down right.

Paradox is never accurate with balkan provinces! :argh:

:tito:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
One of my favorite bits after renaming Troy was getting the 'Improve Defenses in Troy' mission, and the AI making a beeline to siege it in the next war.

It fell quickly too!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Has Paradox received any hate mail, I mean physical mail at their office, because of crazed nationalists? If its addressed to a specific developer does that dev get a bonus for the month?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has Paradox received any hate mail, I mean physical mail at their office, because of crazed nationalists? If its addressed to a specific developer does that dev get a bonus for the month?

Not sure about nationalist in particular, but hate-mail, sure. But most of the stuff we get are nice stuff like chocolate or liquor. Sometimes I fear they are poisoned...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
* Success! It seems the wine did not agree with Johan. He died not knowing the name of his killer.

* I think I will celebrate with... beer.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Wiz posted:

Political mapmode from that MP game:

Some province renaming to more historical names:

This map lacks the historically critical province of Old Great Bulgaria, I demand that this grievous inaccuracy be corrected. :colbert:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know of a solid Victoria 2 video LP with some explanation of the game mechanics? I've got some travel coming up soon that I need in-flight/evening hotel entertainment for and figured that'd be a good contender since I still haven't learned to play either Victoria game.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Bishop Rodan posted:

This map lacks the historically critical province of Old Great Bulgaria, I demand that this grievous inaccuracy be corrected. :colbert:

He'd need to conquer Kaffa province to do that.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
So if I have all of HoI3 from a previously purchased Paradox bundle minus Their Finest Hour, would the consensus still be to pick up Darkest Hour for 9 bucks rather than the latest HoI3 expansion for the same price? I've never played either, but I'm curious now with HoI4 on the distant horizon.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kersch posted:

So if I have all of HoI3 from a previously purchased Paradox bundle minus Their Finest Hour, would the consensus still be to pick up Darkest Hour for 9 bucks rather than the latest HoI3 expansion for the same price? I've never played either, but I'm curious now with HoI4 on the distant horizon.

Kersch getting into Hearts of Iron?! Get Darkest Hour as the better game, but HOI 3 without Finest Hour is still worth a look if you want to see if it appeals to you (don't worry if it doesnt)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Wiz posted:

Freddy Mercury best province :colbert:

Kersch posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Kersch getting into Hearts of Iron?! Get Darkest Hour as the better game, but HOI 3 without Finest Hour is still worth a look if you want to see if it appeals to you (don't worry if it doesnt)

I think you're both getting Darkest Hour and Iron Cross confused :smug:

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 27, 2014

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Patter Song posted:

He'd need to conquer Kaffa province to do that.

Also historical Commonwealth clay :colbert:

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 27, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Province renaming is the best minigame in EU MP. In one office game I was Russia and faced an alliance of Poland and the Ottomans, so I renamed all my provinces on the Polish border as important Ottoman provinces, and all those on the Ottoman border as Polish provinces. I hoped they'd get confused as they tried to demand each other's core provinces from each other when deciding what land to take from me.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Darkrenown posted:

Province renaming is the best minigame in EU MP. In one office game I was Russia and faced an alliance of Poland and the Ottomans, so I renamed all my provinces on the Polish border as important Ottoman provinces, and all those on the Ottoman border as Polish provinces. I hoped they'd get confused as they tried to demand each other's core provinces from each other when deciding what land to take from me.

I hope it worked, because that is genius.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Darkrenown may have been outfoxed by his (company's) own UI improvements because you can just click provinces on the map to add them to the offer/demand.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Darkrenown may have been outfoxed by his (company's) own UI improvements because you can just click provinces on the map to add them to the offer/demand.

It would still be pretty great when the enemies try to set their things up. "I want Thessalonika and Ankara" says Poland to ally Ottomans when discussing the partition of Russia. :allears:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

gradenko_2000 posted:

You see, this is what happens when you dumb down your games for those FILTHY CASUALS.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Hey, Paradoxians! I don't know how much you can/want to say about Hearts of Iron 4 yet, but is there any chance that victory point allocation will be made somewhat more dynamic - specifically, influenced by industry, manpower and tech team location - this time around? I've always found it strange that a province whose industry I carefully developed over many years would still have zero strategic value in my enemies' overall war planning. It's understandable that certain provinces like Gibraltar or Suez (or even El-Alamein) have significant value beyond their economic footprint, and I'm not asking to abolish that. Just make every point of manpower and industry automatically contribute to the victory points of a province to accomodate new developments in the war. Tokyo just got nuked? Well, Japan has a lot less victory points remaining now and is closer to surrender, etc.

Also, please think about implementing nuclear power plants, like Arsenal of Democracy did. They were such a wonderful option for resource-starved medium powers to make themselves less dependent in at least one area (energy).

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gimmick Account posted:

Hey, Paradoxians! I don't know how much you can/want to say about Hearts of Iron 4 yet, but is there any chance that victory point allocation will be made somewhat more dynamic - specifically, influenced by industry, manpower and tech team location - this time around? I've always found it strange that a province whose industry I carefully developed over many years would still have zero strategic value in my enemies' overall war planning. It's understandable that certain provinces like Gibraltar or Suez (or even El-Alamein) have significant value beyond their economic footprint, and I'm not asking to abolish that. Just make every point of manpower and industry automatically contribute to the victory points of a province to accomodate new developments in the war. Tokyo just got nuked? Well, Japan has a lot less victory points remaining now and is closer to surrender, etc.

Also, please think about implementing nuclear power plants, like Arsenal of Democracy did. They were such a wonderful option for resource-starved medium powers to make themselves less dependent in at least one area (energy).

Can't comment on any of your questions, but a couple previews from journalists who were at PdxCon can be found here and here if you're looking for some general info.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quote:

You are weaker if you order units around at a whim, so you plan and prepare for operations.

But plans can be stolen. This is actually kind of brilliant. Espionage usually fails in games because there are no secrets to steal. There is not enough diplomatic or strategic inertia to prevent players from doing whatever they want, whenever they want to do it. So you end up with “spies” being used as sabotage units, or as rumor mongers who give you vague reports of, “Someone is building up a fleet” or “Russia is going to attack Germany”. Hearts of Iron 4 looks to solve these problems by encouraging players to invest in laying the groundwork for major campaigns, at the risk of having spies stumble upon them. It’s a very cool idea, and one I very much hope to see used elsewhere.

The preview's full of good stuff and I'm quoting this bit in particular because it feels close to a direct response to my two main criticisms of HOI3 that a) while individually interesting, none of the game systems really interact with each other in meaningful ways and b) that directing a war is probably best if it's about managing the build-up to campaigns (my ridiculously grognardy supply stockpile version of the idea aside).

e: also all the stuff about stockpiles makes it sound like there's going to be some fantastic :smug: opportunities to rub in the faces of the guys at Matrix games waiting patiently for Gary Grigsby's War in the West.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 27, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I think you're both getting Darkest Hour and Iron Cross confused

Darkest Hour is the stand-alone HOI 2-based game with a new map and new mechanics that is good and that Kersch should get

Their Finest Hour is the latest expansion pack for HOI 3. I was saying that if Kersch has HOI 3 base + Semper Fi + For the Motherland but lacks Their Finest Hour, he can still give HOI 3 a shot with what he has since he isn't missing much for a newcomer to the game.

Iron Cross is the lovely HOI 2 mod that should be avoided at all costs.

Gimmick Account posted:

is there any chance that victory point allocation will be made somewhat more dynamic - specifically, influenced by industry, manpower and tech team location - this time around? I've always found it strange that a province whose industry I carefully developed over many years would still have zero strategic value in my enemies' overall war planning. It's understandable that certain provinces like Gibraltar or Suez (or even El-Alamein) have significant value beyond their economic footprint, and I'm not asking to abolish that. Just make every point of manpower and industry automatically contribute to the victory points of a province to accomodate new developments in the war. Tokyo just got nuked? Well, Japan has a lot less victory points remaining now and is closer to surrender, etc.

I think this would necessitate victory points becoming important in the first place: HOI 3's victory conditions were really more about holding specific provinces for their strategic value, and HOI 2 was about wiping out an entire faction or conquering the world. VPs only really came into play as far as determining how quickly you could demand annexation.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Any pointers for a first time playthrough of EU Rome with Wiz's Reign of the Ancients mod?

edit: playing as Rome.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think this would necessitate victory points becoming important in the first place: HOI 3's victory conditions were really more about holding specific provinces for their strategic value, and HOI 2 was about wiping out an entire faction or conquering the world. VPs only really came into play as far as determining how quickly you could demand annexation.

I admit, I never played Hearts of Iron 3 for more than an hour or so - HOI2/AOD for life - but didn't that game have generic surrender events in case a nation occupies a high percentage of someone else's victory points? I just think it's ridiculous that someone could be able to force my country's surrender if I still have a lot of industry under my control, and with strong forces holding the line. Unless dissent gets out of hand or something.

If victory points don't exist in HOI4 anymore then good riddance, and feel free to ignore my post.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

gradenko_2000 posted:

Darkest Hour is the stand-alone HOI 2-based game with a new map and new mechanics that is good and that Kersch should get

Their Finest Hour is the latest expansion pack for HOI 3. I was saying that if Kersch has HOI 3 base + Semper Fi + For the Motherland but lacks Their Finest Hour, he can still give HOI 3 a shot with what he has since he isn't missing much for a newcomer to the game.

Iron Cross is the lovely HOI 2 mod that should be avoided at all costs.

Ah, sorry, I forgot to add a :smug: or :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Gimmick Account posted:

I admit, I never played Hearts of Iron 3 for more than an hour or so - HOI2/AOD for life - but didn't that game have generic surrender events in case a nation occupies a high percentage of someone else's victory points? I just think it's ridiculous that someone could be able to force my country's surrender if I still have a lot of industry under my control, and with strong forces holding the line. Unless dissent gets out of hand or something.

If victory points don't exist in HOI4 anymore then good riddance, and feel free to ignore my post.

HoI3's system is pretty cool in theory, as I last remember it - each country has a national unity based on things like internal politics, key provinces, and strategic bombing. So you could bomb a country into submission while occupying key points. Which makes sense.

• Locked thread