Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Does anyone here have any experience with PLS panels?
I'm looking to get a larger Monitor for with additional screen space and better color reproduction but I'm having trouble deciding between two models.

ASUS PB Series PB278Q, PLS (advertised as an AH-IPS/IPS elsewhere) at 2560 x 1440
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294

ASUS PB298Q, AH-IPS Panel at 2560 x 1080
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236348

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Lemon King posted:

I'm looking to get a larger Monitor for with additional screen space and better color reproduction but I'm having trouble deciding between two models.

ASUS PB Series PB278Q, PLS (advertised as an AH-IPS/IPS elsewhere) at 2560 x 1440

It's Samsung's name for their IPS panels and it looks wonderful. I'd go for the 1440p screen simply because 109 ppi has spoiled me and everything below just makes everything on screen look huge and primitive now.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Gwaihir posted:

That's actually LCD panel de-lamination, and it sucks :<

I ran in to it on my 3008, and yea it tends to show up the most on greys. It's not your drivers or video card.

Where does the delamination occur? If it's the AG coating, maybe there is still hope since it can be peeled away.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Lemon King posted:

I have a Samsung Monitor with a 2560x1440 PLS panel and I love it to bits. The only fault I could find with the monitor was that the included DVI cable was far too short.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Lemon King posted:

I happen to be a proud owner of the PB278Q and highly recommend it, really once you go 1440p its really hard to go back, The only thing is if your gaming you need a GPU that can handle the extra pixels

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zorilla posted:

Where does the delamination occur? If it's the AG coating, maybe there is still hope since it can be peeled away.

I'm not sure, I wasn't brave enough to tear my old 3008 apart since it was still mostly fine. It looked to be deeper than the AG coating though- I would guess between the actual front part of the screen and whatever layer comes behind that? I don't remember how LCD are put together exactly. Maybe it's the polarizer?

e: Here's what mine looked like, sorta a coffee ring stain effect

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 27, 2014

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Michymech posted:

I happen to be a proud owner of the PB278Q and highly recommend it, really once you go 1440p its really hard to go back, The only thing is if your gaming you need a GPU that can handle the extra pixels

Same monitor here as well.

Amazing panel, mine runs at 100Hz to boot.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
On the topic of panels themselves, is there a general consensus on who makes the highest quality panels? If so, is there a well-maintained list anywhere that maps panel manufacturer to monitor produce code? All that said, do some monitors take a perfectly good panel and make it worse with poor circuitry?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ynglaur posted:

All that said, do some monitors take a perfectly good panel and make it worse with poor circuitry?

No doubt. Also, regardless of panel manufacturer, cheaper brands will take their shoddier grade panels (imperfections, dead/stuck pixels etc) and use them in their products.

So the brand of panel isn't always going to tell you if you're going to have a great experience.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
So uh, what would y'all use on a matte screen like the U2711 when microfiber cloths aren't doing 100% of the cleaning anymore

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

I'm not sure, I wasn't brave enough to tear my old 3008 apart since it was still mostly fine. It looked to be deeper than the AG coating though- I would guess between the actual front part of the screen and whatever layer comes behind that? I don't remember how LCD are put together exactly. Maybe it's the polarizer?

e: Here's what mine looked like, sorta a coffee ring stain effect

So not much that can be done about it? I have a pair of 2209WAs at work that have this effect, literally in the same exact spot the other poster mentioned.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Michymech posted:

My GTX 760 should handle it in 1440p or 1080p (21:9) without major issues.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

ACID POLICE posted:

So uh, what would y'all use on a matte screen like the U2711 when microfiber cloths aren't doing 100% of the cleaning anymore
Very fine sandpaper?

Not sure what you're asking, like what is not being removed, you aren't using them dry are you?

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
Hey monitor thread, quick question here. I've just finished building my first rig for gaming over 1080p. The PC has a GTX 770 4gb connected by HDMI to this monitor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009H0XQQY/ref=oh_details_o01_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Games are still in the process of installing, but I don't see any options in Windows (7 if it matters), the NVidia control panel, or the dell monitor's software to set the resolution above 1080p. Are there some special windows drivers I need or something?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Okonner posted:

Hey monitor thread, quick question here. I've just finished building my first rig for gaming over 1080p. The PC has a GTX 770 4gb connected by HDMI to this monitor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009H0XQQY/ref=oh_details_o01_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Games are still in the process of installing, but I don't see any options in Windows (7 if it matters), the NVidia control panel, or the dell monitor's software to set the resolution above 1080p. Are there some special windows drivers I need or something?

The short answer is you need a dual-link DVI connection or DisplayPort.

The longer answer is that you can hack it in by setting up a custom resolution, since HDMI technically still has the bandwidth to handle it, but it's simpler to just use the above. Doesn't that monitor come with a dual-link DVI cable?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Okonner posted:

That monitor doesn't support 2560 x 1440/60Hz via HDMI. Switch to either DVI DL or DIsplayPort if your card has it (I can't remember if any 770s do).

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 27, 2014

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
Ah alright. Yeah a bunch of cables came with the monitor. Will track down the DVI DL cable then.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

ACID POLICE posted:

A slightly damp microfiber cloth. That should help loosen up any oils or grease stuck to the screen. If the problem is that towel is just moving the streaks around and not picking it up like it used to, wash it in the laundry (let it air dry) and it should work like new again.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stanley Pain posted:

Same monitor here as well.

Amazing panel, mine runs at 100Hz to boot.

How did you run yours that high?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Lemon King posted:

My GTX 760 should handle it in 1440p or 1080p (21:9) without major issues.

A 760 will not be adequate, not unless you only play indie stuff or like turning graphics settings down. If you aren't gaming at all then you're fine.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Hi guys, hope I'm not asking a question you get all the time, I checked the last 10 pages or so. If I'm looking for a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor, is the 2007FP from the OP still the best choice? Or has anything better come about since then?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Heavy_D posted:

Hi guys, hope I'm not asking a question you get all the time, I checked the last 10 pages or so. If I'm looking for a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor, is the 2007FP from the OP still the best choice? Or has anything better come about since then?

It's not something that gets asked often, 2007FP is probably still one of the best - S-IPS or S-PVA, 1600x1200, true 8-bit..

I can't really imagine there's anything developed far beyond that in the 4:3 arena, but since that's not in production, and I can't imagine much else in that ratio is, good luck!

For what it's worth, this would be just about perfect for my setup next to my 1920x1200 monitor - maybe that's why you're looking for one?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

HalloKitty posted:

For what it's worth, this would be just about perfect for my setup next to my 1920x1200 monitor - maybe that's why you're looking for one?

It's actually for a colleague of mine who needs font scaling to read well - we've got an application at work that doesn't behave well with this, and needs lots of vertical resolution for all the buttons to fit. We figured that a large 4:3 monitor would be the best way to get lots of vertical resolution and legibility. Thanks for the help!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Heavy_D posted:

It's actually for a colleague of mine who needs font scaling to read well - we've got an application at work that doesn't behave well with this, and needs lots of vertical resolution for all the buttons to fit. We figured that a large 4:3 monitor would be the best way to get lots of vertical resolution and legibility. Thanks for the help!

A low DPI monitor with a decent amount of vertical height might be a 19" 5:4 monitor, they're 1280x1024 and are probably still available. Hopefully that won't require scaling, since it's a low 86 DPI (the exact reason I bought my dad one, works fine for him at 100%).

Edit: although the 27" 1920x1080 monitors that are available are even lower, at 81 DPI, but that might be a bit physically enormous.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 29, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
If you need vertical resolution, buying a widescreen monitor that can rotate to portrait mode seems like a way more sane approach than buying an old 4:3.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

GokieKS posted:

If you need vertical resolution, buying a widescreen monitor that can rotate to portrait mode seems like a way more sane approach than buying an old 4:3.

Very much this. Either get one with a swivel stand, or with VESA mounting to put on an arm.

Alternatively, get a 27" 1080p monitor. Those have fairly low DPI at around 82, so they're easier to read for people with bad vision.

Or you could combine both ideas. Also, IPS helps with the color shifting that'd happen on such a large TN or that were rotated.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

How did you run yours that high?

If you're running an NV card you just create a bunch of 1440p resolutions with refresh rates at 70, 75, 80... and so on. Test each one until you find the one that works best (no flicker, or obvious signs that your monitor can't handle that refresh rate). Most of them will hit 75Hz no problem, 85 starts getting a bit difficult and I won the lottery with hitting 100 on mine.

With ATI cards, I use a program called CRU to manage custom resolutions.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stanley Pain posted:

If you're running an NV card you just create a bunch of 1440p resolutions with refresh rates at 70, 75, 80... and so on. Test each one until you find the one that works best (no flicker, or obvious signs that your monitor can't handle that refresh rate). Most of them will hit 75Hz no problem, 85 starts getting a bit difficult and I won the lottery with hitting 100 on mine.

With ATI cards, I use a program called CRU to manage custom resolutions.

Yeah I ruin CRU but I can't get anything above 74hz. But I was mistaken on what model of monitor you have do don't sweat it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah I ruin CRU but I can't get anything above 74hz. But I was mistaken on what model of monitor you have do don't sweat it.

Asus PB278Q. Googling around I see that I REALLY lucked out with mine. Not too many people able to hit over 80/85 let alone 100.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011
I didn't even bother with overclocking my Asus yet, but it can do 75Hz, while 80 and 85 are brighter and slightly flicker. Above that the screen transforms to something I'd describe as k-pop choreography. I'll take that 25% bonus, thanks.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Does the PB278Q actually overclock, or does it just claim it does? I got my U2713HM up to 81Hz clean but using that flashing refresh checker application I discovered that it was in name only, and the panel was hardlocked at 60Hz regardless of what the custom resolution claimed.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
So I just bought a VG248QE and it's made videos completely unwatchable. When playing 23.976p video at any refresh rate, even 60hz, it's like it's alternating between playing the current frame and the previous frame or something, giving an effect that's very obvious during pans. Videos look fine when framestepping, and this happens in both MPC and VLC so it's not the player.
I've tried screen-recording at 144FPS but that video also looks fine when framestepping. It also has the same negative effect when playing the result screen recording.
Anyone know what's going on?
Gaming at 144hz works fine as far as I can tell, but I haven't extensively tested it.
Connected using DVI-D from an Nvidia 660 Ti, running Windows 7.

edit: Setting "TraceFree" in the OSD to 100 made it look much worse but setting it to 0 doesn't fix it.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 29, 2014

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
TraceFree doesn't help with that kind of thing. Leave it at 20, 40, or off.

edit: oops.

edit: I was wrong about that, but your problem doesn't seem consistent with the reviews I've seen which only reported lackluster blacks. You're using DP or DL DVI-D?

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 29, 2014

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Does the PB278Q actually overclock, or does it just claim it does? I got my U2713HM up to 81Hz clean but using that flashing refresh checker application I discovered that it was in name only, and the panel was hardlocked at 60Hz regardless of what the custom resolution claimed.

Yeah it definitely OCs, since if I push it too far I start getting bad flicker and corruption on the screen. These screens would OC well if they didn't have a built in Scaler.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

So I just bought a VG248QE and it's made videos completely unwatchable. When playing 23.976p video at any refresh rate, even 60hz, it's like it's alternating between playing the current frame and the previous frame or something, giving an effect that's very obvious during pans. Videos look fine when framestepping, and this happens in both MPC and VLC so it's not the player.
I've tried screen-recording at 144FPS but that video also looks fine when framestepping. It also has the same negative effect when playing the result screen recording.
Anyone know what's going on?
Gaming at 144hz works fine as far as I can tell, but I haven't extensively tested it.
Connected using DVI-D from an Nvidia 660 Ti, running Windows 7.

edit: Setting "TraceFree" in the OSD to 100 made it look much worse but setting it to 0 doesn't fix it.

Short answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down

Long answer: You're one of the unlucky ones who notice this, like me. You'd need to run at exactly 23.976hz to not get this judder.. but that's basically impossible for any monitor to do. You need to run at 24 or 48hz but even then because of the tiny difference between frame rate and refresh rate you'll get frame repeats. I spent 2 entire weekends trying different software before I could play 23.976fps content on my 1080p24 TV without issues. I use MPC-HC, madvr, Reclock (this is the important program), LAV Spliter and LAV Audio Decoder.

Follow this guide to set them up properly: http://www.ezoden.com/684/tutorial-htpc

madvr now has some frame smoothing interpolation thing that might work on it's own, but I've noticed it causes blurring during fast motion so I stick with my setup.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Short answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down

Long answer: You're one of the unlucky ones who notice this, like me. You'd need to run at exactly 23.976hz to not get this judder.. but that's basically impossible for any monitor to do. You need to run at 24 or 48hz but even then because of the tiny difference between frame rate and refresh rate you'll get frame repeats. I spent 2 entire weekends trying different software before I could play 23.976fps content on my 1080p24 TV without issues. I use MPC-HC, madvr, Reclock (this is the important program), LAV Spliter and LAV Audio Decoder.

Follow this guide to set them up properly: http://www.ezoden.com/684/tutorial-htpc

madvr now has some frame smoothing interpolation thing that might work on it's own, but I've noticed it causes blurring during fast motion so I stick with my setup.
I'm using madVR already and tried forcing smooth motion, no change. Also I've never seen anything like this on my laptop (50/60hz monitor; 50 gives the expected visible issue during pans but nothing like this).
I'll see if I can get a videocamera or something to record this because it's awful and I've never seen any monitor do anything like this.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I'm using madVR already and tried forcing smooth motion, no change.

drat. That's what I'd have recommended.

It must be something the monitor's processing is doing, then. That sounds pretty horrific.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm going to be running this bad boy in my new rig. I'm looking for a 1440 monitor with DVI-D, HDMI, and DisplayPort (I plan on eventually purchasing a small rMBP). My budget is pretty flexible.

I also have complete control over the lightning in the room and want to go glossy this time around, if possible. I like matte but it's time for a change.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm going to be running this bad boy in my new rig. I'm looking for a 1440 monitor with DVI-D, HDMI, and DisplayPort (I plan on eventually purchasing a small rMBP). My budget is pretty flexible.

I also have complete control over the lightning in the room and want to go glossy this time around, if possible. I like matte but it's time for a change.

Read the OP.

Also, it's kind of :shobon: to call the 770 a 'bad boy' around these parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Nephilm posted:

Read the OP.

It doesn't suggest any glossy 27" displays with the inputs I'd like. It seems like most that meet my criteria have the anti-glare finish now, assuming that's the same as the matte on Dell monitors. I have a U2211H and definitely want something a bit more glossy. According to people on the internet, the Asus anti-glare isn't as severe as Dell's, so I guess that could be an option. The SA850 looks really nice too, but no HDMI.