Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Though this thread has demonstrated a lot of "games" that are marketed towards a female audience in the most asinine way possible, it would be interesting to hear more about how this could be done right. To give a current example, La-Mulana 2 changes from the male protagonist in the first game to a female protagonist, and there's going to be a vote on the different costumes she can wear. However, it seems like the Metroid-style gameplay will be largely the same along with the other aspects of the game like the setting, art style, game mechanics, etc.

Does this kind of change make the game appeal to people it wouldn't otherwise? Sunning pointed out World of Warcraft changing character models to make them more appealing to players - how much value in a game comes from gender or appearance of the characters rather than the gameplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
Just got around to checking this thread out, and I noticed that in Hollywood Beauty Secrets, some of the choices that increased the Cool meter the most were blonde hair and blue eyes. Maybe it's randomised, or maybe some of the other options increased it as well (purple eyes worked too), but still. Kinda hosed up. :stare:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uya7uvw1VzE

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

:psyduck: This sounds like the sort of thing Working Designs made in the Sega CD days. It's got that same level of "nobody in America knows what anime is, so we can just have the inhouse staff do all the singing and nobody will notice, right?" to it.

Also, I have no idea who on that title screen is supposed to be male or female.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

The comment about what a beautiful love story this game is really makes it for me. "Amarantha" has to "get her boyfriend to fall in love with her all over again"? Is this Anime The Notebook?

I'm not an animexpert, but I have a special operative on the case who plans to post some otome games in this thread.

Incel Documentary
Aug 31, 2007

Realistic Conestoga wagon physics!

Oh lord I've played this one before because someone gave it to me. It's about as bad and incomprehensible as it looks and the best part is how you can kick your boyfriend to the curb and just date someone else entirely.

Also, I may or may not have thread content from the wonderful Imagine series of games. Which are a beautiful trainwreck most of the time.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Incel Documentary posted:

[...]best part is how you can kick your boyfriend to the curb and just date someone else entirely.

Yep, that's it. That's the awful.

For all of you who not in the know, the premise of this game is that you and your boyfriend got in a motorcycle accident, and he hit his head hard enough to forget all about you. A perfect opportunity to date all these other guys, while he's bedridden in a hospital, right? What a loving harrowing plot device. It's like anime Silent Hill 2.

I kind of like the title song, though.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

StoryTime posted:

Yep, that's it. That's the awful.

For all of you who not in the know, the premise of this game is that you and your boyfriend got in a motorcycle accident, and he hit his head hard enough to forget all about you. A perfect opportunity to date all these other guys, while he's bedridden in a hospital, right? What a loving harrowing plot device. It's like anime Silent Hill 2.

I kind of like the title song, though.

Holy hell that's despicable. Is there an option to hook up with him again? Are the other guys that the female lead can date even aware of what she's doing?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DialTheDude posted:

Is there an option to hook up with him again?
That's the main route of the game, and is referred to as the 'best' ending. For whatever that's worth.

That said if the dude (somehow) got hit hard enough on the head that he completely forgot about you I don't think someone can be blamed for not wanting to continue that relationship. Just, y'know. Wait for him to be able to eat solid foods again, first.

Nethris
Mar 28, 2010
The discussions here about boys and men liking what are effectively "doll dress-up" elements of games, and kids in general not necessarily gravitating towards the games marketed towards their gender reminded me of some of the discussions I've seen about the role of playtesting in game development. Specifically, while observing what people didn't like about a game was invaluable, asking for ideas about what would make it better was much less reliable - even very common suggestions weren't necessarily considered an improvement when actually implemented and tested. I can't imagine that adding gender roles into the mix makes peoples predictions of what they'd like more accurate, which almost certainly contributes to the unfortunate directions marketing and focus groups seem to push games in.

Sadly, going to the expense of actually implementing a game to put in front of people is a rather expensive way to explore what they actually like. :v:

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

DialTheDude posted:

Holy hell that's despicable. Is there an option to hook up with him again? Are the other guys that the female lead can date even aware of what she's doing?

It's the whole soap opera storyline where you're not allowed to tell the amnesiac anything he doesn't remember, so the girl is specifically banned from telling her boyfriend that they were ever a couple, while at the same time his ex-girlfriend (who he does remember) shows up and moves in on him.

I don't know if all the other love interests know the whole story. I think one of them is the doctor treating him. He might have an ulterior motive.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Confession: I really like hidden object games. I like other games too, though I'm awful at FPS, but I can stay up all night playing hidden object games.

There's a few really good ones out there for Android, though of course I recommend you play them on a tablet, because otherwise it will be nearly impossible to see what you're looking for. They're usually very detailed, deal with missing persons or paranormal happenings, are sometimes voiced, and are often kind of formulaic. You wake up or by some circumstances end up somewhere, there's creepy poo poo going down, you wander from place to place picking stuff up and searching for things in piles of random crap, which may or may not be plausible (road signs carved into porches, gas masks in tropical countries not prone to war, etc.), and often playing puzzles or using items you find to advance. I'm playing a couple from the Twisted Lands series right now, one's based in a psychiatric (??) hospital, and the other is in a weird town with some... snake... doorway thing. I don't know how to explain it because I haven't gotten any farther than that.

And that's one of the pitfalls of these games. Sometimes they're so complex that you just go back and forth clicking on everything in hopes that something happens or you pick something up. One of the Twisted Lands games (I forget which one, Shadow Town? my tablet's dead atm) has a fire blocking your path, on an island where you should be able to carry water from the beach but you can't, and there's a kettle of water somewhere before this point that you should be able to use to douse the fire, but when you try to pick it up, you end up just drinking it. Super frustrating.

There's a few of these games on Steam, too. The Midnight Mysteries series is kind of cool, and very accessible. If you want to just try a couple games, though, your best bet is the ones in the Google Play store, since they tend to be free until a certain part of the game (and then cost roughly $1.99-$3.99 :argh: ).

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Hey, if DeVacuum is taking requests for themed videos, might I suggest "plus-sized games"? I was originally going to do a little showcase of dress-up games not featuring the rail-thin models we've seen so far, but searching for "plus sized dress up game" and "fat dress up game" brought up a lot more results than I expected, enough to fill a video I think. :)

:ssh: Spoiler alert: the only one worth your time is Every Girl's Plus Sized Dress Up Game.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

dijon du jour posted:

Hey, if DeVacuum is taking requests for themed videos, might I suggest "plus-sized games"?

Oh wow! I haven't come across any of these so far, so I had begun to suspect none existed. Absolutely, if you PM me a list of 5-7 of the "best" (most representative) ones you found, I'll take a look.

In the meantime, I've got plenty of material to make a video themed entirely around the most racist games, but I don't know if I have the fortitude to actually do that and record commentary over it. I think I prefer the current spacing of many racist games spread out over multiple videos.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

:siren: BARBIE TIME! :siren:

with Panzer Skank

In this episode, LP Drunkperstar Panzer Skank and I take a look at one of the quintessential Girl Games: Barbie! Specifically, the free-to-play Flash games at Barbie.com! If you're interested in looking at more Barbie games, stay tuned for Dyslexiactic and FutureFriend's upcoming BARBIE MEGATHREAD!

Also, if you aren't already, watch Panzer and Kaubocks' Saint's Row 2 LP!

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 27, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Those teeth are going to haunt me in my sleep.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Sad things about the last thing.

Software engineering Barbie sounds almost as if they had actually made progressive steps on the Barbie front.

Now I wish for Mad Scientist™ Barbie™.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I was kinda wondering how long it'd take before we saw a game that was just "gently caress it, just rip off of bejeweled."

EDIT: Wait, that's not Bejeweled. What well known casual game is that programming game ripping off of? I feel like I should know it...

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 27, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Oh, while I have your attention: I am thinking of doing a Girl Games Stream sometime this weekend, but I have many questions for you, thread! First, I had originally planned on revisiting games from the videos and playing them in full, but maybe I should also take suggestions from chat from the websites we've already looked at as well? Should I stream all new games, or further explore things we've already looked at?

Because of the unknown volume of viewers I may get, I'm going to go with my Twitch channel, https://twitch.tv/deviousvacuumsa. Stay tuned and let me know what you think!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I forgot, whether it was asked... Will you LP one of the earliest gender-aimed games - Alter Ego: Female? The Male and Female variants had different events (I suspect, the girl version has different ones regarding the discovery of sex and/or balding) and even different writing styles.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

SelenicMartian posted:

I forgot, whether it was asked... Will you LP one of the earliest gender-aimed games - Alter Ego: Female? The Male and Female variants had different events (I suspect, the girl version has different ones regarding the discovery of sex and/or balding) and even different writing styles.

Having a chance to vote on horrible life decisions live would be fantastic, assuming the stream holds up.

Innovacious
Jun 27, 2012

Drink Lucozade to keep your energy maintained!
I am disappointed you did not finish potty race. I've seen the victory screen. It is certainly a thing to behold.

fake edit: I could not stop myself, I went and played it to make this gif real edit: :nws: maybe?

Innovacious fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 27, 2014

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Innovacious posted:

fake edit: I could not stop myself, I went and played it to make this gif real edit: :nws: maybe?
That is... wow. They really felt the need to emphasize that swirling down the drain animation. :stare:

That programming game seemed pretty fun actually, if nothing at all like real programming. Real programming wouldn't make a good game anyway (except for us uber-nerds). It must be ripping off some form of puzzle game because it seems *too* polished for a flash website girl game. And also the "bug" being called a "lock", which is what it might've been called in the original IP. Also you were super good at it; I guess that makes you a Data "DeVa" :v:

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
There's a reporter Barbie? That sounds really neat, what did it look like?

Those games were... actually not too bad? They focused on doing a pretty wide range of different jobs (even if most are coded as feminine), and the one that was focused on beauty is about the player looking good, which is nice.

The programming game even has the potential to be a more complex game with stronger parallels to coding, though if you made it much more complex it might be difficult for younger players (Though I'm playing a lot of Marvel Puzzle Quest which is arguably a simpler game). Like, if they had a list on the side with "Match a purple set, match an orange set, match a set with 110..." and you got points only for those, it could almost feel like you're making specific bits of code. Almost.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

:ssh: Spoiler alert: the only one worth your time is Every Girl's Plus Sized Dress Up Game.

That woman is plus sized?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Testicle posted:

Compared to Barbie.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART

SelenicMartian posted:

You should definitely stream Alter Ego, even though its not exactly a "girl game" like the ones you are showcasing for us. Its creepy as gently caress though.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Ramengank posted:

That programming game seemed pretty fun actually, if nothing at all like real programming. Real programming wouldn't make a good game anyway (except for us uber-nerds). It must be ripping off some form of puzzle game because it seems *too* polished for a flash website girl game. And also the "bug" being called a "lock", which is what it might've been called in the original IP. Also you were super good at it; I guess that makes you a Data "DeVa" :v:

It's basically every match 3 style game ever.

Also, I was hoping that the programming game would have some form of actual programming to it. There's ways to make it good while still making it simple enough for kids to grasp. I was probably expecting too much though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Innovacious posted:

Did she just lay an egg?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Camel Pimp posted:

EDIT: Wait, that's not Bejeweled. What well known casual game is that programming game ripping off of? I feel like I should know it...

Yoshi's Cookie, back when casual games were just known as "puzzle games". In the "actual casual games" front, Zoo Keeper.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART

KataraniSword posted:

Yoshi's Cookie, back when casual games were just known as "puzzle games". In the "actual casual games" front, Zoo Keeper.

YoCo is the most hardocre esport there is

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART
oops, sorry for double post

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Six Of Spades posted:

There's a reporter Barbie? That sounds really neat, what did it look like?

Ah, sorry, I linked it in the video description: I Can Be: News Anchor Barbie

Innovacious posted:

I could not stop myself, I went and played it to make this gif real edit: :nws: maybe?

Holy poo poo.

error supply posted:

You should definitely stream Alter Ego, even though its not exactly a "girl game" like the ones you are showcasing for us. Its creepy as gently caress though.

This is interesting and I have never heard of this game before! I will look into it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Testicle posted:

That was my reaction. That's 'technically in the plus size shop, but the smallest size they make'.

Though I do congratulate the maker of the game on capturing the general theme of plus size ladies shopping, namely everything being some sort of torso sack with a frill on the bottom paired with either leggings and calfboots or bootcut jeans. I can practically taste the disappointment wafting off the screenshot, it's like walking into simply be without having to leave your armchair. Biting social commentary on the state of fashion.

Also holy hell I'm turning gay quickly.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
The robot dog game made me incredibly angry, simply because as soon as I saw the title screen I thought of several much cooler games that would involve teaching kids actual coding skills. Like virtual LOGO with drag-and-drop instructions, for example. Which I really hope exists somewhere.

Given that this was a corporate game, by the way, I'm pretty sure that none of the in-game text or design came from the coders. That "cool" was chosen by a marketing exec and dictated to the coders, and I'd be willing to bet they hated it even more than you do.

DairunCates
Jan 23, 2013

Antistar01 posted:

That hoopla around the time of Oblivion's release when it was found that the female character models actually had nipples (for some reason) was bad enough.

You know. The funny thing is that this isn't actually entirely uncommon in animation especially in newer generation games and movies. A lot of animators and studios will actually physically model the nipples on a character, because that subtle extra bit of deformation in the skin can actually effect how a good amount of cloth clothes fall off the body. Mind you, it's not a terrible difference, but as graphical fidelity gets higher, even the most subtle of mistakes become noticeable and even a bit unnerving (See Polar Express for the worst possible example of this). So, it's a noticeable enough difference in non-stylized games and movies that it can look off to some viewers if they closely examine the character model, and it's a small easy change. Mind you, I'm not actually sure if Skyrim does this so much as it was just a texturing issue, but it does explain why the practice is common enough that they'd have a template for it.

It's still pretty weird in general that they'd bother texturing it though.

Also, been following the thread for a bit. It's pretty hilarious and has some good intelligent discussion on media messages, gender roles, etc. So, keep up the good work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depending on how you model the character, you might also put the apex of the boob-sphere where the nipple goes, giving it an odd pointy look. When I did character modelling we were always encouraged to make the vertex lines flow around shapes in the character model, so finding somewhere appropriate to put the inevitable bunches of vertices is a tricky thing.

You know I never thought I would have to write 'apex of the boob-sphere' today but there you go.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

They already had suitable textures from doing male torsos (since they are able to be topless in public) so it's just a copy paste job of the textures. Plus it probably got weird doing your render tests to make sure it looks right and then have this untextured blob in the middle.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Innovacious posted:

I am disappointed you did not finish potty race. I've seen the victory screen. It is certainly a thing to behold.

I'm losing my loving mind what the actual gently caress. I'm so glad dvac didn't beat the game in our video because I would have just made incomprehensible sounds of disgust for the rest of my commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm mashing "skip" as hard as I can but nothing is happening help

• Locked thread