Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Evil Canadian posted:

Now I need to ask, I see a lot of suit prime/weapon prime, and I looked at the wiki and for weapons they seem to have higher damage and the suits have more special slots. Are the Prime suits/weapons strictly better than their normal predecessor?

Most of them are better yes, they also look hella baller as a bonus. My personal favorite is the Bronco Prime and Braton Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Evil Canadian posted:

Now I need to ask, I see a lot of suit prime/weapon prime, and I looked at the wiki and for weapons they seem to have higher damage and the suits have more special slots. Are the Prime suits/weapons strictly better than their normal predecessor?

Pretty much. How much better is debatable from one to the other. But Primed version is pretty much the regular one with better stats and some gold forma stuff stuck on them.

One thing about the Orokin is they sure love putting gold on everything. They're like space Incans.

Metaprognosticate
Nov 10, 2013
The weapons are generally better without question, though it's not really the case that they're the best weapons in the game.

The Prime warframes are pretty much only negligibly better. Their only real benefit, an additional polarity slot, is really easily attainable for free from forma blueprint drops from Orokin Void missions.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Most prime weapons have better damage and better stats, generally giving 1/3 more theoretical DPS. Reaper Prime has no stat changes.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Carecat posted:

Most prime weapons have better damage and better stats, generally giving 1/3 more theoretical DPS. Reaper Prime has no stat changes.

There is no regular Reaper though?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Ether Reaper, Reaper Prime and Hate are all the same weapon with Hate having a boost towards damage with a hit to attack speed. Might be some animation differences.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Carecat posted:

Ether Reaper, Reaper Prime and Hate are all the same weapon with Hate having a boost towards damage with a hit to attack speed. Might be some animation differences.
He's referring to the fact that Reaper Prime and Hate were introduced in Update 8, while Ether Reaper came out with Update 10 four months later. Prime weapons tend to be introduced to the game after the normal version. They all use the same animation set.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Yeah, one can argue that the Ether Reaper, Reaper Prime and Hate is just variants of an older and no longer in use design.

Tazzypillar
Sep 16, 2011

The best guy.
In order of terribleness, I'd suggest the starter frames be added to the "OK Buys" list of plat purchases in the OP

-Volt is actually kind of a headache save and not too bad a buy
-Excalibur is easy to get but harder if you're a newbie and locked yourself into playing loki with poo poo gear for six months or something dumb (not that i'd know anything about that! hahaa)
-You shouldn't buy loki under any circumstances but at least he's cheap

they are all after all 75 plat a piece, and come with their own slot and potato so really you're paying 35 plat for an extra playstyle, which in the early game might be worth it particularly if you go with Volt since he's sort of a pain to get right now.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Volt isn't a starter frame (any more, he used to be way back in closed beta), but yeah, I agree. OP updated.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'm kind of working my way through Jupiter right now (which, as Volt, is pretty easy) but are Defense missions the best way to grind mods and money? They seem like it for sure if you can get a good group.

Also, I was going to try to farm Vay Hek for the Oberon blueprints but every time I play that mission, after we kill him, 2 or 3 more of him spawn. Is that normal? Sometimes there's 4 Vay Heks running around in that area.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Daric posted:

I'm kind of working my way through Jupiter right now (which, as Volt, is pretty easy) but are Defense missions the best way to grind mods and money? They seem like it for sure if you can get a good group.

Also, I was going to try to farm Vay Hek for the Oberon blueprints but every time I play that mission, after we kill him, 2 or 3 more of him spawn. Is that normal? Sometimes there's 4 Vay Heks running around in that area.

Yeah I think they made him do that because they hadn't figured out a better gimmick for the fight yet. You can always tell which one is the real one because his HP is already reduced. You don't get anything from killing the clones.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Daric posted:

Defense, Mobile Defense, and Survival are the three preferred mission types for grinding out mods and XP. And yeah, having a decent group will make things go much smoother/easier/more quickly.

The Hek thing is normal, they're just decoys. He's getting the redesign treatment and will have some new gimmicks in a future update (possibly this week, maybe a bit later).

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
How is Nyx? I ended up with all her component blueprints from the invasion boss last night and I'd only need to do like one plastid run to have everything.

After playing this all weekend and finally getting my Rhino in the cooker I guess I see now the game has a huge grind hump to get to crafting your first frame, but then it becomes pretty trivial because they all basically require the same mats. It took me forever to find a control module for Rhino, and then last night a Europa invasion started and after 2 hours of that I have 20+ CMs.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Helter Skelter put one of the good/average/bad warframe lists in the op? It's getting asked a lot. Maybe pre rank 6 good weapons as well.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Tazzypillar posted:

-You shouldn't buy loki under any circumstances but at least he's cheap

Loki is really good, but he's about as far from an ideal starter frame as I can imagine. You just need energy siphon, power efficiency, and power duration mods.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I am deeply disappointed with the PS4 community, supporting Corpus for a reward not significantly better per mission than you could get fighting infestations. (I mean, yeah, even if the Harvester exists on the PS4 current build it's still stupid stupid hard and nobody should be trying to farm Detron until we get the next update in March or whatever. But we should, as a general rule, be trying to let the invaders get to a couple of branching nodes to maximize opportunities for the actually good rewards, right?)

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Bunleigh posted:

How is Nyx? I ended up with all her component blueprints from the invasion boss last night and I'd only need to do like one plastid run to have everything.
Nyx is pretty cool. Psychic Bolts is pretty mediocre, but Chaos and Mind Control are extremely powerful skills that never lose their utility, and Absorb is a pretty solid panic button. She really shines in high level/wave defense missions.

Carecat posted:

Helter Skelter put one of the good/average/bad warframe lists in the op? It's getting asked a lot. Maybe pre rank 6 good weapons as well.
There are no bad warframes. :colbert:

I might put something together later this week, we'll see what happens on Wednesday first.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

Helter Skelter posted:

Psychic Bolts is pretty mediocre
I dunno, I'd say having an ability where when you use it you're not even sure it actually went off is probably worse than "mediocre." Psychic Bolts is the poster child for "put something else, anything else in this slot."

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Wow yeah at max it does 6 bolts for 200 whole damage apiece for 50 energy? That is pathetic.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Hell, I don't even run Absorb on my Nyx, I just went for range and a little duration and lean on Chaos. I mix in Mind Control, as appropriate, but Mind Control only shines when people know how to play along side a Nyx. Most folks don't and will kill your target because it's flashing a pretty color.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Nyx is there to make any high level defense mission easy mode.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010

Echophonic posted:

Hell, I don't even run Absorb on my Nyx, I just went for range and a little duration and lean on Chaos. I mix in Mind Control, as appropriate, but Mind Control only shines when people know how to play along side a Nyx. Most folks don't and will kill your target because it's flashing a pretty color.

I've found that slotting fleeting expertise on Nyx is a good tradeoff since it both shortens the channel phase for absorb (which is an awesome skill since it scales infinitely based on enemy damage) and reduces the duration on chaos, meaning it can be recast quicker if/when new enemies wander into range as only one instance can be active if there are still enemies alive and under the chaos effect. And at +60% efficiency you can afford to recast it as much as needed.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
Well then, it appears elevators trivialize the stalker. Got myself a hate and despair blueprint just by sitting behind an elevator wall and letting my teammates kill it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Cascade Failure posted:

I've found that slotting fleeting expertise on Nyx is a good tradeoff since it both shortens the channel phase for absorb (which is an awesome skill since it scales infinitely based on enemy damage) and reduces the duration on chaos, meaning it can be recast quicker if/when new enemies wander into range as only one instance can be active if there are still enemies alive and under the chaos effect. And at +60% efficiency you can afford to recast it as much as needed.

Yeah, I've been meaning to try Fleeting Expertise, since Chaos does hang a bit longer than I'd like sometimes. I'll give that a shot later and see how it works out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fleeting Expertise lets you use nothing but absorb and play as a spastic, living bomb.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?

Helter Skelter posted:

This is pretty true, they all have a place somewhere. I think a list of ideal weapon progression could be a good add though.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
All the Battle Pay from the Invasion stuff on PS4 this weekend has really increased my options. I finally got the poo poo necessary to build Rhino, he'll be done cooking tomorrow I think (maybe tonight, I forget), and I have all the blueprints for Oberon and Nyx, and they seem fairly cheap or at least require stuff I already have or is easily farmed. I burned through my wealth of plat from the last sale thing and got Vaubaun for the hell of it, a bunch of slots, and I think 1 or 2 Golden Potatoes. Used the Battle Pay cash to get Dual Zoren, Kunai, Orthos, and then upgraded a bunch of mods. Which reminds me, I have an extra Serration mod and would like to trade it for Hornet Strike if anyone has an extra.

Also I seem to be getting invited to Void missions by pubbies fairly regularly, or at least they don't seem to be in the clan or on my friends list (although those invites happen a decent amount too). Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, or is that just a thing that happens with people trying to fill out a squad?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Doji Sekushi posted:

Ignis makes it tons easier. Also make sure to have it set so you don't need to hold x to wallrun.

I used the ignis. The main issue was when I aimed I fell off the side-running wall. I'll take off the hold x and try. I wish the dojo parkour room was a better way to train for it :smith:

Helter Skelter posted:

I might put something together later this week, we'll see what happens on Wednesday first.

I made a giant effortpost about all the frames I've used here if you want to springboard off that, feel free. People disagreed with my trinity ranking, and I probably would agree with them.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

seiferguy posted:

I used the ignis. The main issue was when I aimed I fell off the side-running wall. I'll take off the hold x and try. I wish the dojo parkour room was a better way to train for it :smith:

If you can get to the first platform honestly, it's still possible to cheese the other two with Loki's decoy/switch teleport.

Speaking of Rank 8, is the Embolist's smoke color element-based rather than customizable like the Ignis is these days?

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

Bunleigh posted:

Wow yeah at max it does 6 bolts for 200 whole damage apiece for 50 energy? That is pathetic.

As a bonus the aiming is finicky, and most of the time the majority of the bolts seem to hit a random wall or obstacle. You're coming out ahead if you get 200 damage out of an activation.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Thranguy posted:

I am deeply disappointed with the PS4 community, supporting Corpus for a reward not significantly better per mission than you could get fighting infestations. (I mean, yeah, even if the Harvester exists on the PS4 current build it's still stupid stupid hard and nobody should be trying to farm Detron until we get the next update in March or whatever. But we should, as a general rule, be trying to let the invaders get to a couple of branching nodes to maximize opportunities for the actually good rewards, right?)

I imagine it's the lack of any tutorial or general information that's to blame. If I didn't browse the wiki because being ignorant of all the fun stuff annoys the gently caress out of me, I wouldn't have a clue what infection is beyond, 'Hey these Dead Space looking things invade normal missions, cool.' and I can get shiny stuff for murdering them.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Helter Skelter posted:

Valkyr ...

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Kaldaris posted:

Valkyr ...

Valkyr is a power labeled "Rip Line" and everything else is attached baggage. The frame needs an overhaul and Rip Line should be lowered to a cost maybe 2-3x that of Super Jump. Might be serviceable then.

I bought the Berserker Bundle day 1 against goon advice and Lecta was the biggest upside from that. Never spend plat outside goon guidelines. :negative:

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
Valkyr is good & fun. Riplining pubbies will never get old. War Cry is nice melee buff & enemy slow before you hit Hysteria and go on a murderous invulnerable rampage, what's not to like? In all seriousness there's a lot to not like about her, but that doesn't make her bad. If I had to chose something that makes me not want to play her, it would be all the weird poo poo on the wikia about how she is a cat, and the best ways to make her look like a cat.

On the wallrunning test: Loki can cheese it all, with no wallrunning. The first platform is difficult to get a decoy onto, as it is relatively close - so you need to aim up. I think my decoy probably had a fall of about 30 metres to land adequately on the first platform. From there the next platforms are much easier.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

zgrowler2 posted:

Valkyr is a power labeled "Rip Line" and everything else is attached baggage. The frame needs an overhaul and Rip Line should be lowered to a cost maybe 2-3x that of Super Jump. Might be serviceable then.

I bought the Berserker Bundle day 1 against goon advice and Lecta was the biggest upside from that. Never spend plat outside goon guidelines. :negative:
Ripline could also use some less wonky physics. Nothing more fun than Spider-manning around the bigger rooms.

Now Super Jump on the other hand is bad and lame. Boo Super Jump.

edit: Boo Super Jump

Ajax posted:

Valkyr is good & fun. Riplining pubbies will never get old. War Cry is nice melee buff & enemy slow before you hit Hysteria and go on a murderous invulnerable rampage, what's not to like? In all seriousness there's a lot to not like about her, but that doesn't make her bad. If I had to chose something that makes me not want to play her, it would be all the weird poo poo on the wikia about how she is a cat, and the best ways to make her look like a cat.
Some of the more fun frames are also some of the worse frames, and for all but the most lategame stuff (T2-3 def, tower survival, long survival/defenses in general) any frame will work as long as you have decent guns. I basically maxed Rhino and Nova and have barely touched them since because although they're really strong, they just aren't that interesting or exciting.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 27, 2014

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Elysiume posted:

Ogris/Penta interaction with either max frame power or lowgrav makes it more fun than every other aspect of Excal combined (which still isn't saying much), and I think the miniscule energy requirement saves it from being outright terrible. It's a gimmick power, but it has its moments.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Elysiume posted:

edit: Boo Super Jump
You do not know how to have fun with Excalibur.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryoFv_m0044

Add Heavy Impact to make yourself do a Hulk Smash between each Super Jump.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
Valkyr is usually a bad choice, but occasionally, you'll run into ideal situations. Low max shields don't matter on a 0 shield nightmare alerts, and hysteria gives no fucks about health drain. Rip line is a lot of fun, and war cry puts her at the 2nd best frame (behind Loki) if you want to slash poo poo with your melee weapon (for whatever reason).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

You do not know how to have fun with Excalibur.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryoFv_m0044

Add Heavy Impact to make yourself do a Hulk Smash between each Super Jump.

if you can't reach the top floor of that level, you are not truly super jumping