Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Are you thinking of a different company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
You guys are suckers for sob stories.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nephilm posted:

You guys are suckers for sob stories.

I know, what the hell. In the grim darkness of the far future there is only wishful thinking, apparently.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think the real 'best case scenario' is that GW simply makes them take it down and doesn't sue him into nothingness.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I think the real 'best case scenario' is that GW simply makes them take it down and doesn't sue him into nothingness.

Even better would be the fanbase defending the guy by saying he's at least not plagiarizing someone else's war experiences and GW backs off completely.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

That's not 'best case scenario', that's pretty much what's likely to happen; a cease and desist and at most some minor out-of-court settlement for damages. You don't defend your copyright against Joe Nobody with a lawsuit.

Also, he's inexcusably guilty of gross copyright infringement.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sharkie posted:

:smith: There's something kind of cute/sad about soldiers who are into 40k, but this is just legit sad. I kind of always assume they're either engaging in fantasy or working through serious issues. I guess we know which one this is and dammit, there are worse ways of making sense of your life.
One of the local redshirts here, for some mad reason, was ex USMC and saw service in Afghanistan. He was an odd guy. Very clearly PTSD, and super-enthusiastic about EVERYTHING.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
If they get wind of it and he has made any kind of arbitrary sum of money out of their IP games workshop definitely send him a C&D. They've sent C&D's to plenty of other IP violating works across all mediums BEFORE they've even got off the ground, they may well sue him into the ground.
To a global company, however small it may be (an GW really isn't small) they will sue copyright infringement where someone else has made money off their IP severely, like values that will absolutely bury the guy. GW has simply sent out C&D's to various mod makers in the past because they haven't released a product yet, or even if they have they've released it is free so the copyright has been violated but not infringed. I would imagine a company that trades across europe, and the US, and beyond won't just have a few lawyers on retainer. They'll have a law team or a full law firm on the payroll scouring for exactly this kind of thing, they'll have a budget that they have to justify. Some poor bastard has made money off of our poo poo, cool let's crucify the guy, we haven't even made a dent in our budget yet this year; lets look like we actually need it (or the reverse, oh poo poo our budget's low getting cut, lets go after a company who has copied our copyrighted method of mould filling).

Struggling war veteran or not they will destroy you for doing it, you guys give a global company and their associated lawyers on staff/retainer far too much credit. I don't know about the US, but here in the UK "recovering PTSD war veteran infringes copyright of multi-national miniature model company and gets sued into oblivion and kills himself wouldn't even make the papers, let alone the national news, gently caress if it's a major city it wouldn't even make local.

Spoilers unremembered empire

Oh god you guys were right about Vulkan Lives, it's awful. The follow on Unremembered Empire was the first Abnett I really didn't like either, I had no issue with the style of writing really I can't fault Abnett for that ever (Thorn wishes aegis arising pattern ivory in ten :v: ). I felt the story he was given to write was too daft, that's partly gw's/producers/whoever the gently caress's fault and in a large part to Nick loving Kyme.

G-G-G-Ghosts! Gillyman having shock/trauma/stress over obliterating 10 marines in his personal chambers? (But, you say he's shocked his security was lax enough to let them, he was unarmed/unarmoured blah blah bullshit), but obliterating hundreds of word bearers in spaaace/on calth, seeing the image of his even traitor brother burst and turn into a hideous daemon, seeing one of his capital worlds raped and giving no fucks is the norm? But an assassination attempt? OH GOD I ALMOST DIED.

His chamberlain/surrogate mummy, his chapter master being a 1 dimensional ANGRY MARINE, Polux (after nearly kicking Peturabo's rear end) out of loving nowhere, the whole PHAROS MAGICAL ASTRONOMICON MAGUFFIN (oh yeah there's an iron warrior too). HERE COMES THE LION REMEMBER HIM? (although seeing someone actually do something with him other than making him an autistic sperg, who's trying to repeatedly "catch the pidgeon" was nice).

Motherfucking satan himself KONRAAAAD, jesus christ I can't stand him anymore he's a saturday morning cartoon villain with super magical fighting powers even though he's gently caress all next to the practically any other primarch (by previous books' own admission, and the night lord trilogy by ADB). Christ, the Lion's already ripped his throat out once; but guilliman and the lion can't rip the dude apart in a few minutes? (but oh yeah he can be everywhere at once somehow and can plant explosives he had to find, plant, and lure his targets to before he's even in the front door?, and can set the timers so that he can kill a chapter master have a good go at another, and then "stall" his two more powerful brothers till the grenades go boom? gently caress off).

And to go with BATMAAAAN Konrad, you have Vulkan, which Abnett had the poor misfortune of inheriting from Nick Kyme (he won't be getting another HH book hopefully). What do you do with a guy who's been made invincible? why make the poor bastard mad, dont need no dialogue to match kyme's god awful shite then! have him chase after his tormentor! But gently caress, we don't want him invincible how the hell do we get rid of him? JOHN MCCLANE GRAMMATICUS.

Vulkan was always sort of a mystery in what happened to him during the hersey, and why he was so awesome other than being another ferrus mk2 but nicer. Kyme making him invulnerable and his subsequent murdering by John by abnett makes me think GW gave Kyme free reign and got burned by it.

THE ARCH ANGEL GABRIEL OUT OF loving NOWHERE BOOSH

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

rocket_Magnet posted:

If they get wind of it and he has made any kind of arbitrary sum of money out of their IP games workshop definitely send him a C&D. They've sent C&D's to plenty of other IP violating works across all mediums BEFORE they've even got off the ground, they may well sue him into the ground.
To a global company, however small it may be (an GW really isn't small) they will sue copyright infringement where someone else has made money off their IP severely, like values that will absolutely bury the guy. GW has simply sent out C&D's to various mod makers in the past because they haven't released a product yet, or even if they have they've released it is free so the copyright has been violated but not infringed. I would imagine a company that trades across europe, and the US, and beyond won't just have a few lawyers on retainer. They'll have a law team or a full law firm on the payroll scouring for exactly this kind of thing, they'll have a budget that they have to justify. Some poor bastard has made money off of our poo poo, cool let's crucify the guy, we haven't even made a dent in our budget yet this year; lets look like we actually need it (or the reverse, oh poo poo our budget's low getting cut, lets go after a company who has copied our copyrighted method of mould filling).

Struggling war veteran or not they will destroy you for doing it, you guys give a global company and their associated lawyers on staff/retainer far too much credit. I don't know about the US, but here in the UK "recovering PTSD war veteran infringes copyright of multi-national miniature model company and gets sued into oblivion and kills himself wouldn't even make the papers, let alone the national news, gently caress if it's a major city it wouldn't even make local.

Spoilers unremembered empire

Oh god you guys were right about Vulkan Lives, it's awful. The follow on Unremembered Empire was the first Abnett I really didn't like either, I had no issue with the style of writing really I can't fault Abnett for that ever (Thorn wishes aegis arising pattern ivory in ten :v: ). I felt the story he was given to write was too daft, that's partly gw's/producers/whoever the gently caress's fault and in a large part to Nick loving Kyme.

G-G-G-Ghosts! Gillyman having shock/trauma/stress over obliterating 10 marines in his personal chambers? (But, you say he's shocked his security was lax enough to let them, he was unarmed/unarmoured blah blah bullshit), but obliterating hundreds of word bearers in spaaace/on calth, seeing the image of his even traitor brother burst and turn into a hideous daemon, seeing one of his capital worlds raped and giving no fucks is the norm? But an assassination attempt? OH GOD I ALMOST DIED.

His chamberlain/surrogate mummy, his chapter master being a 1 dimensional ANGRY MARINE, Polux (after nearly kicking Peturabo's rear end) out of loving nowhere, the whole PHAROS MAGICAL ASTRONOMICON MAGUFFIN (oh yeah there's an iron warrior too). HERE COMES THE LION REMEMBER HIM? (although seeing someone actually do something with him other than making him an autistic sperg, who's trying to repeatedly "catch the pidgeon" was nice).

Motherfucking satan himself KONRAAAAD, jesus christ I can't stand him anymore he's a saturday morning cartoon villain with super magical fighting powers even though he's gently caress all next to the practically any other primarch (by previous books' own admission, and the night lord trilogy by ADB). Christ, the Lion's already ripped his throat out once; but guilliman and the lion can't rip the dude apart in a few minutes? (but oh yeah he can be everywhere at once somehow and can plant explosives he had to find, plant, and lure his targets to before he's even in the front door?, and can set the timers so that he can kill a chapter master have a good go at another, and then "stall" his two more powerful brothers till the grenades go boom? gently caress off).

And to go with BATMAAAAN Konrad, you have Vulkan, which Abnett had the poor misfortune of inheriting from Nick Kyme (he won't be getting another HH book hopefully). What do you do with a guy who's been made invincible? why make the poor bastard mad, dont need no dialogue to match kyme's god awful shite then! have him chase after his tormentor! But gently caress, we don't want him invincible how the hell do we get rid of him? JOHN MCCLANE GRAMMATICUS.

Vulkan was always sort of a mystery in what happened to him during the hersey, and why he was so awesome other than being another ferrus mk2 but nicer. Kyme making him invulnerable and his subsequent murdering by John by abnett makes me think GW gave Kyme free reign and got burned by it.

THE ARCH ANGEL GABRIEL OUT OF loving NOWHERE BOOSH

This is like a 4chan level post under the spoilers, jesus christ.

Plastic Scouser
Aug 16, 2006

"You just..say these things."
I think you articulated my thoughts about the book exactly. Reading Vulkan Lives I got to a point where I just put it down, not just because it was a bit pants but because I was just tired of everything going so badly for the 'good guys'. Picked up The Unremembered Empire afterwards and thought hey at least there'll be a glimmer of light. Yeah a contrived glimmer of light. I think we'll have to wait for Sanguinius at the Eternity Gate to finally get some pay back on the traitorous fucks.......

I still can't get enough of reading 40k though. Blood of Asaheim was a great read if anyone hasn't had a look.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

hopterque posted:

This is like a 4chan level post under the spoilers, jesus christ.

SA is known for its scholarly critiques of literature about books marketed to 13 year old boys.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Aziraphale posted:

SA is known for its scholarly critiques of literature about books marketed to 13 year old boys.

I was talking more about the ~random caps~ and other 'wackiness'.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

hopterque posted:

I was talking more about the ~random caps~ and other 'wackiness'.

It read fine. It gave some flair to writing up how unhappy he was with the story.

I wonder how hard it must be to write about Primarchs, especially in BL thanks to the way BL whores them all out to so many different writers. I'm sure Abnett had to read Vulkan Lives just to see what Kyne wrote about Vulkan last time. He probably hated reading it as much as we did.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 26, 2014

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
So i just read Fear to tread.

Did anyone else feel this book sucked hard? Like most of the characters really felt uninteresting? I mean when ever the focus would be on some other character than Sanguinius, i felt bored out of my mind. Like Azkaellon, who was in charge of sanguiniu's bodyguards, was really an unlikable git. It made me wonder why Sanguinius chose him for a bodyguard and equiry. I mean i can understand he would want some one to curb some of his own flaws. His cold demeanor contrasted way to much with the passionate and kind Sanguinius, for that to work for me.

Not to say that Sanguinius fared any better. He has small moments of humanity peppered here and there, that's fine, but it was always something to do with him doubting himself or whining about it. I guess his characterization felt redundant is what I'm saying.

Amit i kind of liked cause he was honest and very much more approachable than the others around him, even despite his bloodthirsty tendencies.

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 27, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

So i just read Fear to tread.

Did anyone else feel this book sucked hard? Like most of the characters really felt uninteresting? I mean when ever the focus would be on some other character than Sanguinius, i felt bored out of my mind. Like Azkaellon, who was in charge of sanguiniu's bodyguards, was really an unlikable git. It made me wonder why Sanguinius chose him for a bodyguard and equiry. I mean i can understand he would want some one to curb some of his own flaws. His cold demeanor contrasted way to much with the passionate and kind Sanguinius, for that to work for me.

Not to say that Sanguinius fared any better. He has small moments of humanity peppered here and there, that's fine, but it was always something to do with him doubting himself or whining about it. I guess his characterization felt redundant is what I'm saying.

Amit i kind of liked cause he was honest and very much more approachable than the others around him, even despite his bloodthirsty tendencies.

Yes it was garbage just like every other James Swallow book.

Gnome Lover
Aug 12, 2004
Would you like to make love to my marsbar wrapper?
Just read Abnett's latest GG, Salvation's Reach, and I can't shake the feeling the series has jumped the shark. Should I like it or is this a common feeling? Why are guardsmen suddenly called lasmen? Why are they retconning fluff (Costin is an alcoholic again and involved in some heavy poo poo, his character's redemption in Sabbat Martyr was for nothing?). There's about three quarters of the book dedicated to an assassination plot against a character I can't work up the energy to care about and the usual slaughter of a bunch of long-term characters, whose deaths are given a couple of sentences of attention.

I've kind of stopped caring about what happens to the Ghosts and I suppose at the current rate of having to top previous exploits they'll be responsible for closing the Eye of Terror within three or four novels.

The ship-to-ship combat parts were pretty rad. Ending on a cliff hanger sucks. Time to kill them off or let them finally win a planet.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Man I skimmed my way through Vulkan Lives (garbage) and now i'm on to Unremembered Empire. Someone mentioned it earlier but Kyme really takes a poo poo all over Grammaticus and makes him an incredibly boring character. Kyme just needs to stop writing.

Gnome Lover posted:

Just read Abnett's latest GG, Salvation's Reach, and I can't shake the feeling the series has jumped the shark.

Mmm I see where you are coming from, this book had a whole bunch of set up in the general in space and Gaunt's kid IIRC but i'm willing to keep reading just because Abnett. I think he's done better than most series of this length.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ed balls balls man posted:

Mmm I see where you are coming from, this book had a whole bunch of set up in the general in space and Gaunt's kid IIRC but i'm willing to keep reading just because Abnett. I think he's done better than most series of this length.

I've been waiting for that particular plot point to come up since Necropolis, and I think the series is just starting to wind down for the finale. I think we all know that the ghosts don't make it out of this war intact. There's going to be a last stand coming up soon and I just hope Milo makes it back to stand with Gaunt. He's the true son, after all.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

I just hope Milo makes it back to stand with Gaunt. He's the true son, after all.

Also Mkvenner god please.

Gnome Lover
Aug 12, 2004
Would you like to make love to my marsbar wrapper?
Warmaster will build up the son as succession for Gaunt, both will die, Milo given field promotion by Gaunt shortly before his death and takes charge of the Ghosts. Fade to black, fin, calling it now.

Alternative Grimdark scenario, everyone dies, flip of a coin with Abnett, really.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gnome Lover posted:

Warmaster will build up the son as succession for Gaunt, both will die, Milo given field promotion by Gaunt shortly before his death and takes charge of the Ghosts. Fade to black, fin, calling it now.

Alternative Grimdark scenario, everyone dies, flip of a coin with Abnett, really.

I expect Milo's "destiny" to be something akin to dying for some greater purpose, maybe he kills a demon as it swats the saint ensuring Imperial victory. The saint will die though, because she's a martyr or perhaps Milo is her martyr? Who the gently caress knows. Everything has alluded to Milo being important to the overall crusade, in fact I think Tanith burned for no other reason than to kill Milo and prevent his destiny.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I expect Milo's "destiny" to be something akin to dying for some greater purpose, maybe he kills a demon as it swats the saint ensuring Imperial victory. The saint will die though, because she's a martyr or perhaps Milo is her martyr? Who the gently caress knows. Everything has alluded to Milo being important to the overall crusade, in fact I think Tanith burned for no other reason than to kill Milo and prevent his destiny.

Was it General Kiodorus or something that was the Saint's top gun in Sabbat Martyr? That's who I believe Milo is being built up to be. Or maybe Gaunt, I honestly can't tell. From what I've gleaned from the whole series, and from a throwaway line in Pariah, is that Abnett seems to be trying to paint the Saints/Wars/Crusades as endlessly cyclical with similar events and individuals arising in each iteration.

The line I was thinking of was Blackwards telling Beta that St. Orpheus comes around every couple of centuries and that there is always bodyguard X, etc. The idea that Imperial saints are "good" daemons is also pretty badass and I would love to see this explored in other BL books more often.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I really hope we get some Sons of Horus Heresy books soon; they are curiously excluded from the rebellion they are the headliners for! Also, I'm curious about what will happen to Horus Aximand to make Ezekyle Abaddon the sole top honcho.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sephyr posted:

I really hope we get some Sons of Horus Heresy books soon; they are curiously excluded from the rebellion they are the headliners for! Also, I'm curious about what will happen to Horus Aximand to make Ezekyle Abaddon the sole top honcho.

Betcha a dollar that Sanguinius or Dorn will utterly wreck him.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Sephyr posted:

I think it was in Primarchs, or some book with a lot of short stories in it involving them, that little Horus is mentioned at length as a good captain. He renames his big power sword to Mourn-it-all, and is pretty morose about the whole treachery thing. Abaddon remarks frequently throughout the story that he'll have to 'keep an eye on him' to make sure he doesn't lose his nerve.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What volume contains the short story/novella continuation of Helsreach and what is it called?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm sure I'm mistaken, I feel like Horus has gone from being the outright nemesis of the emperor to the misbegotten-once-treasured, reluctant traitor.

I kind of enjoyed it more when he was purely traitorous on his own accord rather then influence into it.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Waroduce posted:

What volume contains the short story/novella continuation of Helsreach and what is it called?

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/blood_and_fire_ebook.html is the continuation of Helsreach. Not really a continuation since it follows what happens to the Celestial Lions, but Grimaldus does a lot of reflection on Helsreach.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Blacktoll posted:

I'm sure I'm mistaken, I feel like Horus has gone from being the outright nemesis of the emperor to the misbegotten-once-treasured, reluctant traitor.

I kind of enjoyed it more when he was purely traitorous on his own accord rather then influence into it.

I'm pretty sure the WB always organized his descent into Chaos.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

quote:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/blood_and_fire_ebook.html is the continuation of Helsreach. Not really a continuation since it follows what happens to the Celestial Lions, but Grimaldus does a lot of reflection on Helsreach.

Thank you. By the way, a few pages ago during a White Scars discussion someone mentioned the author eye-rolling at the all Asain flavor of the legion:

White Scars posted:

Haren mastered the speech in the end, just like all the other Terrans who had been inducted into the Legion. The inductees studied together, poring over curved character-clusters and diacritics, rolling their eyes at the complexities and cementing friendships in the face of adversity.

Many of the others had been taken from the Asiatic hive clusters. Haren disapproved of that. After Unity the Imperium was meant to have moved beyond racial and ethnic stereotyping, so the fact that the V Legion remained mired in the physiognomic traits of their backwater world was an irritant.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Hey nerds, is there any novel revolving around civilian life in the imperium other than Dead Men Walking?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Know no fear was super good. Any other quality Ultramarine books out there?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nope! One of the reasons Know No Fear is so highly regarded is because Abnett is the first and only author to make Ultramarines awesome.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Throb Robinson posted:

Know no fear was super good. Any other quality Ultramarine books out there?

Nope, that's pretty much the only good Ultramarines book in existence.

Maybe a short story in Mark of Calth if it was written by Abnett or ADB.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Hey nerds, is there any novel revolving around civilian life in the imperium other than Dead Men Walking?

Plenty of it in the Eisenhorn/Ravenor books, but I'm sure you knew that already. Other than that, nothing else immediately comes to mind.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

The Rat posted:

Plenty of it in the Eisenhorn/Ravenor books, but I'm sure you knew that already. Other than that, nothing else immediately comes to mind.

Are those all still in print? I've never read any of those because I'm a stupid idiot moron and read the warporn type novels first.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Are those all still in print? I've never read any of those because I'm a stupid idiot moron and read the warporn type novels first.

Get the digital releases.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Noctis Horrendae posted:

The Shira Calpurnia series was pretty good. It's about a space cop.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Noctis Horrendae posted:

The Cain books don't revolve around it, but they mention a lot of it

"Our Friend Promethium", "The Wheels On The Land Raider", etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

VanSandman posted:

The Shira Calpurnia series was pretty good. It's about a space cop.

This. Probably the most "Life in the Imperium"-based novels I've read. Lots of detailed description about how the lives of the various classes go, how they relate to each other, and gives a good glimpse into what it's like being an Imperial citizen in these times (not great).