Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

psydude posted:

Printers followed me to Afghanistan, where they are waging an insurgent campaign on my sanity. Today I had to troubleshoot a connectivity issue with an HP and it turned out that it was the NIC on the printer itself. Wanna guess how much paperwork I have to fill out to get the module replaced?
You work for the us military, what exactly did you expect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

You work for the us military, what exactly did you expect? find a friendly EOD tech to blow it up.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Caged posted:

"Solve my people management issues with technology"

See also: blocking Facebook. If people are goofing off at work then blocking a website won't suddenly make them all obedient productive staff.

We had one client using residential DSL for their financial services company in order to limit the internet speed so that people didn't go to sites like Facebook.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inspector_666 posted:

We had one client using residential DSL for their financial services company in order to limit the internet speed so that people didn't go to sites like Facebook.

Nobody uses the internet here because we have 250 people on a 3mb line, they are digging fiber for 10mb as we speak, productivity is going to plummet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

250 on 10Mb isn't great, productivity probably won't drop too much

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have a new job that 90% supports Mac desktops and laptops. I'm familiar with them but I've never really supported them. Is there anything I can be reviewing or reading to get me up to speed a bit quicker?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wrong drat thread.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 27, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Caged posted:

250 on 10Mb isn't great, productivity probably won't drop too much

It's alright for general web browsing. We have 400 people or so sharing 10 mbit, but our proxies block any kind of streaming multimedia. Avg. Utilization is around 2.5 to 3 mbit. Now you get half a dozen management folks that aren't filtered start streaming spotify and watching youtube and things get lovely.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Gigabit Metro Ethernet here :smug: We are a bandwidth sensitive building though, our service goal was to allow 75% of users to stream HD video at any given time

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

skipdogg posted:

Now you get half a dozen management folks that aren't filtered start streaming spotify and watching youtube and things get lovely.

Shape all streaming multimedia traffic down to 1Mbps tops. Anyone who complains is more than welcome to lobby the CIO for a faster circuit. :devil:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cenodoxus posted:

Shape all streaming multimedia traffic down to 1Mbps tops. Anyone who complains is more than welcome to lobby the CIO for a faster circuit. :devil:

And then everyone users their phones for music and the bandwidth issue works itself out.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
They should just block apps.facebook.com. Many companies these days have sites to manage on that bloody site, and that way they can do that but remove all the silly time wasting games.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

What are you looking to optimize in your Citrix environment, specifically?

Nothing specific to be honest. Mainly best practices for citrix configuration when working with thin clients and SQL server.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

And then everyone users their phones for music and the bandwidth issue works itself out.

Here everyone uses their phones data connection, or uses their phone/tablet on our public wifi that's connected to 60mb cable.

Can't filter that other than "YOU'RE FIRED IF WE SEE YOUR PHONE OUT OF YOUR POCKET"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Here everyone uses their phones data connection, or uses their phone/tablet on our public wifi that's connected to 60mb cable.

Can't filter that other than "YOU'RE FIRED IF WE SEE YOUR PHONE OUT OF YOUR POCKET"

Ah yes, the BYOD solution -- Bring Your Own Demise.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

I wouldn't be able to work anywhere with less than a 100Mbit line, bandwidth considerations is one of those issues I like to avoid dealing with.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Raymn posted:

I have a new job that 90% supports Mac desktops and laptops. I'm familiar with them but I've never really supported them. Is there anything I can be reviewing or reading to get me up to speed a bit quicker?

Use some sort of management tool to keep them all in line (such as Casper) or prepare to pull your hair out. Take a look at the CMD CTRL PWR podcast too- they are an ACN group that goes into what kind of issues they experience supporting OS X machines/users.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW

Indecision1991 posted:

Nothing specific to be honest. Mainly best practices for citrix configuration when working with thin clients and SQL server.

Citrix does post their consulting whitepapers online for free perusal. Here is the set for 6.5:

http://support.citrix.com/product/xa/v6.5_2008r2/consulting/

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Well got a pretty sweet offer this morning for a VMware gig + light-to-best effort AD/Exchange support, company needs an overhaul of their VMware environment and wants to be >80% virtual with site failover and other cool stuff. Seems they've neglected their environment for some time and now it bit them in the rear end so they want to get up to snuff on it.

Pay is decent, the only hang up problem I face is that I'm working on a "team of 5" which scares me but the phone interview I had only seemed to hit on VMware stuff so as long as I don't get "are you good with MS word and how do you like working over the phone" line it looks good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That sounds more like a project than a full time job.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Pay is decent, the only hang up problem I face is that I'm working on a "team of 5" which scares me
Why?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

That sounds more like a project than a full time job.

The way it was leveraged is a 6 month contract with hiring at the end for a full time VMware admin gig if performance and customer satisfaction requirements are met. But seeing as I have no job currently it's worth looking into at least. I also think I know the company it is for, which is good because I have a close friend who is very good friends with the IT Director.

Team of 5 is a great line I've heard recruiters in my area follow with the "are you good with MS word and working over the phone" which quickly turns into a shoehorned helpdesk job.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Team of 5 is a great line I've heard recruiters in my area follow with the "are you good with MS word and working over the phone" which quickly turns into a shoehorned helpdesk job.
Probably overthinking it. Every job I've ever had has been on a team of 4-8, often interacting with an additional 20-50 QA/dev/management people. Five is a good team size.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

Probably overthinking it. Every job I've ever had has been on a team of 4-8, often interacting with an additional 20-50 QA/dev/management people. Five is a good team size.
Same. The biggest engineering team I've been directly involved with was 10, and that was starting to get uncomfortably large.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Fair enough, last internal IT gig I had was 1 Admin and myself + a 6 person helpdesk

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Being part of a team is great, as long as the team members are competent. Thankfully, my teammates are all smarter than me! I have noooo desire to go back to being the only sysadmin for a company, and therefore on-call 24/7/365. It's also awesome having a group of colleagues to learn from and bounce ideas off, instead of only having blogs (and goons :v:) to rely on.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Our team size ranges from 5-10 depending on the time of year and the cycle of people leaving.

Anyone at puppet camp in Santa Clara today? Managed to sneak out of the office and make it over.

joe944 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 28, 2014

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah it is. A couple of my teammates lag it a lot but I don't care as long as they take up an on-call week.

My lead covered my on-call yesterday afternoon while I went on a date with a daycare worker from here :unsmith:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

It's alright for general web browsing. We have 400 people or so sharing 10 mbit, but our proxies block any kind of streaming multimedia. Avg. Utilization is around 2.5 to 3 mbit. Now you get half a dozen management folks that aren't filtered start streaming spotify and watching youtube and things get lovely.
We have a wide open wifi network for the 200 or so people on our main campus and there are a lot of staff that stream poo poo on it. I would say that for the 80 devices we see on an average day, probably 50 are streaming poo poo and we only hit 6mbps on it on a heavy day.

The rest of our "business" internet we have 100mbps and we use about 20mbps at any given time. Occasionally we may spike up to 50mbps, but that is rare. This is serving roughly 450 end users.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Inspector_666 posted:

All the organisations I have ever seen residential will still be faster than commercial lines, especially in metro areas.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

Citrix does post their consulting whitepapers online for free perusal. Here is the set for 6.5:

http://support.citrix.com/product/xa/v6.5_2008r2/consulting/

Thanks, I will go over them and look at the ones that may be relevant for me

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Indecision1991 posted:

Thanks, I will go over them and look at the ones that may be relevant for me

I have used perfmon for similiar tasks in the past. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.08.pulse.aspx

It always ended up being blocks not aligned between windows server, vmware, and netapp filers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm ready for Monday, Round 3. This is the third time I've come to work today, and I hope the last until tomorrow morning.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Hello everybody.

Some of you probably remember me asking questions a while back near the end of 2012 (Psydude, Sarcasmatron).

Well, I sent out my first batch of resumes over the last week, and am starting to get some bites.

I don't want to jump to quickly onto the first thing that's offered without knowing what I'm truly worth.

Would anybody out there be able to possibly look over my resume and give me some pointers, and possibly some discussion over PM's or email??

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Hit me up on pm

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I'm game corvettefish3r at gmail.com

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
You guys are great.

PM and email sent.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Count Sacula is a recruiter, so he'll be great with resume and interview tips. If you need any advice other advice, feel free to PM me.

psydude fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 28, 2014

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
X-post from Cisco thread, but NANOG60 is looking to be pretty good

NANOG60 in Atlanta has blown up as far as attendance. When I registered mid-January there was only 180 attendees, now there is 447.

Agenda looks pretty good if anyone is still on the fence:
https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog60/agenda

I'm most looking forward to the Beer-n-Gear :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We're saving money by buying UPS batteries on eBay! My boss spends half the day scouring the web for the best deals on parts (3 hours to save $4 each on 3 batteries?), orders them, they show up two weeks later via USPS, and guess what, they're 1/2" too tall and don't fit in the APC UPS they were for.

So now he wasted a half hour of one of the helpdesk guys time and he has to open a dispute with the seller on eBay.

It's like this loving guy is allergic to just ordering poo poo from CDW.

• Locked thread