Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Do you have a thread about it? I... Could get behind the idea if I move somewhere with a little more space, even though it's surely a path of pain, frustration, and expense. How much did it cost? How's the diesel consumption? I sorta like the idea of hauling everything I own at once. Or just setting up a rolling party on the back. Can you get an average-sized sedan up in there?

Sorta, it is in hibernation right now because I don't have the money for the next step yet.

Cost: 2500, but I got lucky. 350 in fuel to drive it home 550 miles. They usually sell for 5-10k depending on options and condition.
It gets around 5mpg, loaded or empty.
It fits anything up to 7x14 feet that weighs less than 10,000lbs offroad or 20,000lbs onroad.
I bought it because I will be able to drive my offroad jeep into the bed and take off, and it was cheaper and far more badass than an $8k diesel pickup used and a $2k trailer.
then it turned into a project because I can't leave anything alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
If someone gave me a Murano CrossCabriolet for free I would ironically drive it every day. What an amazingly bad car.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Where was the cross cabriolet designed anyway? Who is the culprit and what the gently caress were they thinking?

I remember first seeing a picture and from that angle I wasn't convinced it was all that hideous but then I went looking for other shots and holy gently caress it's hideous. The front end protrudes like some kind of tumourous growth, it sits precariously high and looks like a Sebring from behind and uses similar lights to the 370Z which brings that car down with it. It's SO loving HUGE too and the least said about the soft top the better, I've seen pushchairs/strollers with better looking hoods.

AND it's 40k+ AND only gets like 21mpg?

It's amazing, it does absolutely nothing even remotely well except look hideous as gently caress which it excels at.

If you gave me one I'd insure it and then get some little ratfuck kids to set fire to it and buy anything else. I'm amazed they've sold even a handful of those things.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Das Volk posted:

They have to disassemble so much of the car it hardly looks like anything anymore from this angle. Unbelievable.

Hahahahahaha

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That looks more like the inside of a tape deck than a car.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

88h88 posted:

Where was the cross cabriolet designed anyway? Who is the culprit and what the gently caress were they thinking?

I remember first seeing a picture and from that angle I wasn't convinced it was all that hideous but then I went looking for other shots and holy gently caress it's hideous. The front end protrudes like some kind of tumourous growth, it sits precariously high and looks like a Sebring from behind and uses similar lights to the 370Z which brings that car down with it. It's SO loving HUGE too and the least said about the soft top the better, I've seen pushchairs/strollers with better looking hoods.

AND it's 40k+ AND only gets like 21mpg?

It's amazing, it does absolutely nothing even remotely well except look hideous as gently caress which it excels at.

If you gave me one I'd insure it and then get some little ratfuck kids to set fire to it and buy anything else. I'm amazed they've sold even a handful of those things.

I went to go price one out on Nissan's site to see just how expensive they could get with all the options/accessories ($46K) and found that this is an accessory that Nissan offers on most of their SUVs

I hate the stereotype of Americans being all fatasses, but goddammit...

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

neckbeard posted:

I went to go price one out on Nissan's site to see just how expensive they could get with all the options/accessories ($46K) and found that this is an accessory that Nissan offers on most of their SUVs

I bet there are some mega fatties that have to chain more than one of these together to get the proper breathing room. I wonder what the record is.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

neckbeard posted:

Huh, I could actually see that being useful for regular sized people. We've crammed three adults in the back of my parents' Forester and there is always much cursing and twisting trying to find the slots for the seat belts. They're embedded in the seat some (so they fold flat when not in use) and are difficult to reach if you need to squeeze past another person's hip.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

neckbeard posted:

Nearly every cop I've ever met has one of these to plug in (to turn off the seat belt dinger).

On patrol you're just in and out of the car too much and all the poo poo on your duty belt gets hung up on the seat belt if you actually use it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

neckbeard posted:

"HOG STRAP $46".

I've only seen one power convertible mechanism in my life, it's for a 1964 Galaxie and everything is behind the backseat and trim like that. Tear out the rear speaker (center mounted), remove the seat, and there's the hydraulic pump for it. The hydraulic rams are on either side, behind the side trim panels.

50 years of progress and creature comforts equals more parts, but that just doesn't seem unreasonable.

I still would like every single one of those to break.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Still not as ridiculous as those old pickups International used to make.

And I ain't talking about the 1000 series or whatever.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

ultimateforce posted:

If someone gave me a Murano CrossCabriolet for free I would ironically drive it every day. What an amazingly bad car.
Not only is it terrible, but at my shop we've got a regular who's got one in teal. It almost wraps right back around. I should really find out who sold it to them and buy that salesman a drink.

neckbeard posted:

this is an accessory that Nissan offers on most of their SUVs

I have only sold three or four of these in the last two years or so, but two were to the same person. He was not what I'd call a gigantic human.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Motronic posted:

Nearly every cop I've ever met has one of these to plug in (to turn off the seat belt dinger).

On patrol you're just in and out of the car too much and all the poo poo on your duty belt gets hung up on the seat belt if you actually use it.

Yeah, I can understand it's a hassle. But then again, http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/12/31/toronto-police-officer-killed-in-on-duty-car-crash-was-not-wearing-a-seatbelt-chief-says/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I hear you. I'm not trying to justify anything for them.....just saying what the guys I know do.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mighty Horse posted:

Some handicap people use segways to get around.. they can stand fine but walking is difficult for some people with specific issues.

Oh, I stand corrected (for lack of a better phrase).

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I have to use one of these whenever I go karting because I'm too tall for 90% of the seatbelts :smith:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Motronic posted:

Now that's a good idea.

I loving HATE the seatbelt chime. If I get into a car and it starts making an alarm noise, I expect it to be something important, like my car has just given birth to my air-conditioner or I'm on fire. Being the owner of many lovely cars in my time, my seatbelt is always the last thing I put on before I drive and that beeping just gets right under my skin.

I currently use a seatbelt clip which prevent the seatbelt from fully retracting and it does stop the chimes.

The downside is that this leaves the drat belt too long and it's always getting caught in the door when I get out and is slowly damaging the belt.

Now I'm going to have to decide if I'm willing to take the hit to my dignity and buy one of those extenders.

EDIT - aannnd it doesn't work on my car :(

I just tried the idea out by removing the clips from my seatbelt and fully retracting it. Then I plugged in the belt from the passenger side into the driver's side buckle and the car still beeped when I turned the engine on. Oh well, I'll just have to deal with a too-long seatbelt.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 27, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I just tried the idea out by removing the clips from my seatbelt and fully retracting it. Then I plugged in the belt from the passenger side into the driver's side buckle and the car still beeped when I turned the engine on. Oh well, I'll just have to deal with a too-long seatbelt.

If it irks you that badly, just unplug the sensor.

Fucknag posted:

Still not as ridiculous as those old pickups International used to make.

And I ain't talking about the 1000 series or whatever.

Those are actually useful.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Safety Dance posted:

It would involve pulling the interior off the side of the car to get at the plugs attached to the seat belt tensioner :effort:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

It would involve pulling the interior off the side of the car to get at the plugs attached to the seat belt tensioner :effort:

Most cars that cover is held on with barely more than some plastic clips, takes like five seconds to remove. If it really bugs you that much.

I just waited long enough for the buzzer in my car to die.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Those are actually useful.

For what? I'm genuinely curious, I never knew such a thing existed. It looks pretty awesome but what can you really use it for, aside from simultaneously transporting four people and towing an enormous trailer?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Where can I buy one of those? I have a broken one, never could figure out what they're called.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

I loving HATE the seatbelt chime.

Does your car have a way to stop it? My car has a "code" where you turn the key to on, off, on and hit the trip reset or something to that effect to turn off the annoyance.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Front wheel drive?

Three out of four? That's like 75%, that's a passing grade.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

FogHelmut posted:

Where can I buy one of those? I have a broken one, never could figure out what they're called.

Seat Belt Stop Clips aka Seat Belt Stoppers

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Does your car have a way to stop it? My car has a "code" where you turn the key to on, off, on and hit the trip reset or something to that effect to turn off the annoyance.

I've been hunting around with google since I last posted here and I found this in the US versions of my car's manual. I don't know if it'll work on my Australian version (and it's not included in my manual) and it's after midnight here so I won't be checking until tomorrow.

This is some insane voodoo poo poo:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 27, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

For what? I'm genuinely curious, I never knew such a thing existed. It looks pretty awesome but what can you really use it for, aside from simultaneously transporting four people and towing an enormous trailer?

Pretty much. Let's say you own a company that operates a 10 ton piece of very niche equipment (for installing radio antennas or inspecting bridges or laying trans-continental fiber optic cable or something like that). You want to be able to load up a crew and drive a thousand miles to the jobsite. An actual tractor trailer would require someone with a Commercial Driver's License, and you'd have to comply with a ton of extra laws. A big truck like that fills the gap between big-rear end pickup truck and tractor trailer nicely. International didn't build those with the intent of selling them to everyday scrubs like you and me. They're very purpose-built.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

some insane voodoo poo poo

Holy poo poo.

To think I thought turning off the traction control in my Volvo was needlessly complex. That's some next level fuckery right there. That said, I'm betting it isn't even possible to turn off the seat belt minder in my Volvo, so at least they give you the option, even if it does require some serious voodoo poo poo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Outside of the DBW not being 1:1 with the TB, the Mazda2 only requires a 20 second jig that is mostly waiting to allow left-foot braking.

Fully depress gas + brake, turn on the electronics, wait between 10-30 seconds, turn on car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's good to know. The Mazda2 cries out for left foot braking like no other car I've ever seen.

The Subarus will disable the seatbelt chime if you buckle and unbuckle your seatbelt a shitload of times in a row.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

Now that's a good idea.

I loving HATE the seatbelt chime. If I get into a car and it starts making an alarm noise, I expect it to be something important, like my car has just given birth to my air-conditioner or I'm on fire. Being the owner of many lovely cars in my time, my seatbelt is always the last thing I put on before I drive and that beeping just gets right under my skin.

I currently use a seatbelt clip which prevent the seatbelt from fully retracting and it does stop the chimes.

The downside is that this leaves the drat belt too long and it's always getting caught in the door when I get out and is slowly damaging the belt.

Now I'm going to have to decide if I'm willing to take the hit to my dignity and buy one of those extenders.

EDIT - aannnd it doesn't work on my car :(

Why not simply put the seat belt on before starting the car?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Why not simply put the seat belt on before starting the car?

Because humans only have two hands, and we enter our cars with keys in one of them. Buckling is easier with empty hands, and if you're gonna put the key in the ignition you might as well start the car too.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
This is why I like driving cars from the '60s. Health and saftey chime? You could probably find room under my solid steering column, next to the single-circuit brakes. :getin:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I like the seatbelt chime. Don't much feel like getting a ticket for my passenger not wearing a belt, and "sorry, mind putting your belt on? That stupid chiming is gonna keep going otherwise" seems like a reasonable request to people who otherwise wouldn't wear one.

Alternatively, I could hang out with more reasonable people, but you play the cards you were given.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Subarus will disable the seatbelt chime if you buckle and unbuckle your seatbelt a shitload of times in a row.

Easier way to disable it on some Subarus is to pull apart the receiver and flip the switch in there. Getting the buckle/unbuckle trick to work can be a pain sometimes and resets if your battery dies.

Slugworth posted:

I like the seatbelt chime. Don't much feel like getting a ticket for my passenger not wearing a belt, and "sorry, mind putting your belt on? That stupid chiming is gonna keep going otherwise" seems like a reasonable request to people who otherwise wouldn't wear one.

Alternatively, I could hang out with more reasonable people, but you play the cards you were given.
It's a pain in the rear end though when you've got beer or a dog or something in your passenger seat.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
My usual response to "I'm don't wear seatbelts." is "You do if you're going to ride in my car."

That said, everyone I hang out with these days wears them anyway.

edit: Buckle up your beer, if you have to make an emergency stop it'll fall on the floor and get all foamy!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Benefits of having an old Honda: Seatbelt chime only works for the driver (by design or by age, I don't know), and the chime is one of the least incessant and noisy chimes I have heard in a car ever.

Also, I'm pretty sure the voodoo magic to outright disable chimes are legitimate voodoo magic so the idiots the chime is designed to inform don't disable the chime.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure the voodoo magic to outright disable chimes are legitimate voodoo magic so the idiots the chime is designed to inform don't disable the chime.

Or it was the only way for engineers to get the disable feature into the car without spending more money on hardware or risking people entering the sequence unintentionally.

I don't mind the chime too much, but it would be better if it only woke up after the car was put into drive. A lot of passenger seat belt alerts don't trigger until the vehicle is over 10 mph, for example. It functions as a reminder without being annoying about it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tactical Bonnet posted:

My usual response to "I'm don't wear seatbelts." is "You do if you're going to ride in my car."

My usual response to that is "Shut up, you're drunk. Put on the goddamn seatbelt" ;)

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

dphi posted:

It's a pain in the rear end though when you've got beer or a dog or something in your passenger seat.

Either you have a huge dog or your car has some really overly sensitive sensors. I have yet to have the passenger seatbelt sensor go off unless there is a person in the seat. Also, my dog gets seatbelted in the car, so that solves the problem as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

My usual response to that is "Shut up, you're drunk. Put on the goddamn seatbelt" ;)

My response used to be to turn and brake sharply enough to bounce them around inside the cabin, but I've since mellowed out.