Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Comic Strip Megathread XV: The Morrie Turner Memorial Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

"You'ld"? :psyduck:

Sorry to hear about Mr. Turner. I didn't really like Wee Pals when I read it in papers but seeing it here made me appreciate how awesome it is.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Don't change the thread title. An expression of love is better than an expression of sadness.

Out of respect, I'm not going to segue that sentence into Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Where did this mailbox come from that can fit two fully-grown terriers side by side? They're relatively small dogs, but I've never seen a mailbox that had more than a cubic foot of space, tops.

Ballard Street

I believe this is a colouring mistake and the dog is sticking his tongue out. I believe this with all my heart.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

EasyEW posted:

drat, cartoonists really do die at their drawing boards, don't they. :cry:

Rip Haywire

I had Google what "Frolf" was. I hope they aren't going with the Urban Dictionary definition.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Sad to hear about Morrie. :(

Wanamingo posted:

I'm going to be disappointed if the answer is anything except for the fact that lie detectors don't actually work.

The flat tire was in the trunk, clearly.

Fingerpori

It's funny because conscription is mandatory in Finland and the days of service left are counted as "mornings". Also yes, we do have a newspaper called Aamulehti, Morning Paper.

I love that other guy's reaction.

Fok_it

There was a rare puffin sighting last week. The Finnish name is lunni, so Frog's quip about him being a lurkki-lunni didn't really translate.

Finland's not in NATO, at least not yet. Some politicians are pushing it, but to my knowledge wanting NATO membership isn't a popular opinion.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 27, 2014

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Mark Evanier posted about Morrie Turner.

quote:

Cartoonist Morrie Turner, creator of the strip Wee Pals, died on Saturday. He had been hospitalized for kidney problems. As recently as last Thursday, he posted a message on his Facebook page saying, "Have been having some medical issues that require surgery — and I'll be recuperating for a bit." He invited folks near Sacramento (where the hospital is located) to drop by and visit him while he underwent dialysis.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Morrie Turner will be greatly missed. :(

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Still no Sunday Rip Haywire :shrug:

Classic Prince Valiant

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Apparently the late 30s and early 40s are a pretty rough time for a Phantom. Midlife crisis kicks in, he can't be slowing down just yet, surely he can take on as many ships full of pirates as when he was 25...

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Bradbury Road

That's it for Bradbury Road. I posted all the available strips.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Mr. Turner was a real stand-up guy. He'll be deeply missed.

Bloom County

Well, there's some nightmare imagery.

Calvin And Hobbes

Buni vaguely reminds me of Panto, due to the soft line-work and absence of dialogue.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The only fitting tribute to Morrie Turner I can think of is to give him a Turner-style biography in one of the Wee Pal Sundays' Soul Corners. Sadly, I can neither draw nor imitate his style, but if anyone can I think it would be pretty touching.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008
This collection of reactions has some great videos and photos in it:

http://storify.com/allaboutgeorge/remembering-morrieturner-ripmorrieturner

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
This news hit me like a ton of bricks.

We'll miss you, Morrie! Thank you for all the decades of wisdom, warmth, and laughter!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only fitting tribute to Morrie Turner I can think of is to give him a Turner-style biography in one of the Wee Pal Sundays' Soul Corners. Sadly, I can neither draw nor imitate his style, but if anyone can I think it would be pretty touching.

This was from 2009, but Keith Knight (who was friends with Morrie) did this . He drew this for an appearance Morrie did that year.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So Foxy Grandpa tricked The Boys into thinking he was in the kitchen so he could surprise them by actually being in the kitchen?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Paige Braddock shared this to her Facebook page along with "Morrie, you will be greatly missed..."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RandomFerret posted:

So Foxy Grandpa tricked The Boys into thinking he was in the kitchen so he could surprise them by actually being in the kitchen?

He tricked the boys into thinking they were getting a snack, but actually the snack was for the dog?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Everett True
March 8 & 9, 1918

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm just gonna go ahead and blame ChickenOfTomorrow for picking the ghosts tag for this thread. This is all your fault you big jerk! :mad:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I woke up feeling good today and this just took all the wind right out of my sails. :smith:

Keep telling it like it is in heaven, you amazing man.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
True Goon

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Why is she shouting "knock"?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gilchrist is just taunting AxeManiac, isn't he?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gilchrist is a goon and he's loving with us.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Aww, Morrie. :( You were a standup guy, Mr Turner, godspeed.

Am I reading this wrong or is Prince Valiant standing on that guy's nuts?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was poking around GoComics earlier, and I found this.

You're welcome.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

I like that Thagnar seems to be considering it: "Maimed, huh? That would be pretty cool to see."

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Thorn (January 17-18, 1984)

Lucky Cow (April 1-3, 2004)

I think I did vote in that online poll some 10 years ago. I know I was reading the strip then.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Trent posted:

Comic Strip Megathread: Morrie Turner was a Boss

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

This is perfect.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
As a kid, I always skipped over Prince Valiant when reading the Sunday funnies (in an actual newspaper!) because it seemed so boring. Now I realize I wasted my childhood.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks Internet posted:

This is perfect.

It does make me laugh pretty drat hard.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (October 11-13, 1926)

Kid theology. :allears:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not surprised that Mike Lester hates NPR, but why in the world would you listen to Car Talk if you didn't find Tom and Ray funny? I can see how it would be torture to some, but I'm sure Mr.DuJour's car radio can change channels.

Do dickholes like that intentionally piss themselves off so they have more to bitch about I ask while reading Mike DuJour oh god :(

I laughed. Then I noticed with some surprise that AxeManiac made the 'big toe on the outside of the foot' error. Then I laughed at that fat goon again. Good edit.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Actually it's spelled 'Raymond Luxury-Yacht'

SlimWhiskey
Jun 1, 2010

EasyEW posted:

Kid theology. :allears:

I'm reading Brothers Karamazov and this strip is very relevant to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

5'd

• Locked thread