Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
You guys have really weird opinions about the face in the wall. It's not a super big reveal, it's a drat easter egg. I absolutely guarantee that they're going to open next season immediately following the clash and discovering there are titans in the walls. They just threw that in for the manga readers as a little bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

User0015 posted:

You guys have really weird opinions about the face in the wall. It's not a super big reveal, it's a drat easter egg. I absolutely guarantee that they're going to open next season immediately following the clash and discovering there are titans in the walls. They just threw that in for the manga readers as a little bonus.

That's not what an Easter Egg is.

Jackard posted:

After people found out about Eren and Annie, one theory was the stupid titans being meat-mecha who want a pilot but are going about it in all the wrong ways

That's interesting--the nape of the neck is where their pilots are when there are humans driving them. However, it's also of note that both human-driven Titans have shared the characteristics of their owners--Eren's has his hair and green eyes, Annie's basically looks like a skinless version of herself. Presumably, all of the shifted Titans thus resemble their owners. Maybe the retarded Titans are Titan-Shifters who used their powers overmuch, and got into a situation where they could no longer shift back. They kill humans because it's in their programming, and the human bodies that they once were have become fused into the creature's physiology, creating its weak point.

The only flaw to this is that it doesn't explain the diversity of Titans--it seems unlikely that small children and old men were given Shifting powers, even if there was a huge war to necessitate it. It also doesn't seem to follow that Titans take on the characteristics of those they consume, which had been my initial theory. We haven't seen a Titan appear that looks like Eren's mother, or any of the Scouts eaten.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Watch Neon Genesis Evangelion. There the main character cries and pisses his pants for the whole loving series.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Were you planning to go somewhere with that statement?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Just, ya know, a good recommendation for life in general I assume.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
It was in reply to this, sorry.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Maybe I am just used to the classical American style of film where characters don't get beat up and cry and piss their pants for half of a series before things turn around.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

New guys, there's an OVA called "Ilse's Notebook" (which I'm linking because it hasn't been subbed by either Crunchyroll or Funimation), which is kind of like a special episode. In Japan it was a DVD that came bundled with one of the manga volumes. It stars Zoe Hange and deals with some titan backstory and is completely canonical.

edit: Don't read the comments

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
:stare:

The mystery intensifies...

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Autumncomet posted:

New guys, there's an OVA called "Ilse's Notebook" (which I'm linking because it hasn't been subbed by either Crunchyroll or Funimation), which is kind of like a special episode. In Japan it was a DVD that came bundled with one of the manga volumes. It stars Zoe Hange and deals with some titan backstory and is completely canonical.

Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo.

This changes everything.

EDIT: There needs to be an Attack on Titan videogame yesterday. Combine Valkyria Chronicles class and unit building system combined with a new free-roaming Spiderman-esque 3-D movement system, feature real time death and give you a command and direct control position. Start with the battle of Trost and move on from there.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 22, 2014

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

EDIT: There needs to be an Attack on Titan videogame yesterday. Combine Valkyria Chronicles class and unit building system combined with a new free-roaming Spiderman-esque 3-D movement system, feature real time death and give you a command and direct control position. Start with the battle of Trost and move on from there.

There is a game. It's for the 3DS.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Takoluka posted:

There is a game. It's for the 3DS.

Tell me more.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo.

This changes everything.

There is a game, and it's drat nigh impossible. It is hella fun in multiplayer, though. http://fenglee.com/game/aog/

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

it's a lovely cash-in. You'd be better playing the free web game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I'd rather not, it's not good.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'd rather not, it's not good.

gently caress. Somebody give me two million dollars. I'll make it. I'll make it all. It'll be fantastic.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news
A crazy Vanquish meets Shadow of the Colossus hybrid would rule.

The 3DS game does not look like that.

Edit: I don't know how I didn't make the Valkyria Chronicles comparison before. I would be so down with a more violent VC looking thing, too.

Namaste fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 22, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Autumncomet posted:

It stars Zoe Hange and deals with some titan backstory and is completely canonical.

Zoe remains my favorite character. :allears:

I really like the bits of personal stuff added in the anime when manga couldn't afford to due to pacing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think the web game is probably as an authentic AoT game as we're gonna see: it's an overwhelming experience requires a huge level of skill and manual dexterity and you're inevitably going to get grabbed and eaten within a minute of engagement, making it into a Platinum game would be completely ignoring the apocalyptic horror tone which defines the show. Imagine when RULES OF NATURE kicks in for the first time in MGR but just when Raiden goes to pick up RAY's blade instead it cuts off his head and slowly crushes it underneath its foot - that's Attack on Titan.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news
When I say I want Vanquish + SOTC, I'd definitely want the series' tone held, but Platinum gave the movement in Vanquish a sense of speed that would be fantastic if it were applied to the 3D gear.

I don't want some big, self-aware action game, but it should feel good to fly around and cut stuff. The 3DS game doesn't look like it feels good at all.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Unrelated: the second OP has Levi's squad setting up some kind of super combo, does this scene ever actually happen? Or is it like the rest - just showing each character doing something cool, probably occurs offscreen?

ps. it was nice to see them alive again in the OVA

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 24, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think the web game is probably as an authentic AoT game as we're gonna see: it's an overwhelming experience requires a huge level of skill and manual dexterity and you're inevitably going to get grabbed and eaten within a minute of engagement, making it into a Platinum game would be completely ignoring the apocalyptic horror tone which defines the show. Imagine when RULES OF NATURE kicks in for the first time in MGR but just when Raiden goes to pick up RAY's blade instead it cuts off his head and slowly crushes it underneath its foot - that's Attack on Titan.

Platinum is the cited developer usually, because they're the ones who are able to make gameplay fast, deep, and intense enough for them to make something like AoT. They put lot of work and details into one weapon in just one of their games and it's that kind of developer that could do something with 3D Maneuver Gear in a fun and interesting way. The game does not need to be hard, it does not need to be atmospheric, it needs to be a good game that uses the Attack on Titan license in a meaningful way to contribute to the game. The gameplay in and of itself can make all of the atmosphere for the game depending on how deadly the Titans would be in this game.

This is not even accounting for the fact that you seem to think Platinum would just ignore everything about the series, which is absolutely asinine considering every one of their games has a different style of tone and setting which works in their own ways. Especially the game they made that's based in another series and it captures the style and tone of that series perfectly in every way. I'm not saying they have a midas touch when it comes to every style of game, but they are the only ones I would trust to make a good AoT game.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Autumncomet posted:

More questions than answers, indeed.

On the other hand, I hate that now we have to consider the possibility of norse mythology being a major plot point. It ruins the prospect of giants being a purely scientific/military experiment gone awry.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQkgmHEA5_E

Is this old yet?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Brand new actually. I read somewhere that Subaru made a live action AoT commercial, but I couldn't find it.

And apparently, it also serves as a teaser for an upcoming live action movie.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Freakazoid_ posted:

More questions than answers, indeed.

On the other hand, I hate that now we have to consider the possibility of norse mythology being a major plot point. It ruins the prospect of giants being a purely scientific/military experiment gone awry.

Eh, mythology and sci-fi always go hand-in-hand with Japanese anime. A mythological reference could still harken back to a sci-fi origination.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

That's not what an Easter Egg is.

That's interesting--the nape of the neck is where their pilots are when there are humans driving them. However, it's also of note that both human-driven Titans have shared the characteristics of their owners--Eren's has his hair and green eyes, Annie's basically looks like a skinless version of herself. Presumably, all of the shifted Titans thus resemble their owners. Maybe the retarded Titans are Titan-Shifters who used their powers overmuch, and got into a situation where they could no longer shift back. They kill humans because it's in their programming, and the human bodies that they once were have become fused into the creature's physiology, creating its weak point.

The only flaw to this is that it doesn't explain the diversity of Titans--it seems unlikely that small children and old men were given Shifting powers, even if there was a huge war to necessitate it. It also doesn't seem to follow that Titans take on the characteristics of those they consume, which had been my initial theory. We haven't seen a Titan appear that looks like Eren's mother, or any of the Scouts eaten.

The titans remind me of Autonomous Mobile Swords from Screamers. Defective weapons being churned out by an automated factory.

Edit

Now that I think about it a lot of people probably haven't seen that series of movies so I'll explain.

The basic plot is that a human space colony has been overrun by robotic weapons that went haywire and decided to kill everyone, the weapons are produced by an automated factory so it keeps churning them out and developing new models, that range from the basic mobile swords to fully humanoid models that infiltrate human bases to let in the rest of the army.

Cool Web Paige fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 26, 2014

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Freakazoid_ posted:

How did you leap to that conclusion? Also, keep in mind that anime routinely uses terminology or names from religions (especially Christianity) that don't resemble, even remotely, the actual concepts those labels are supposed to represent. It's extremely common. Whatever makes you think this is connected to a specific mythology is probably not an actual connection.

The only real example I can think of (since I don't watch anime often) is Xenosaga, which is the most anime game series I can think of, or maybe even Evangelion.

Edit: Oh, now I see where you made that leap. It is always interesting to me how people on this forum can make huge leaps on such tiny details without any other supporting facts.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 27, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Backslap posted:

How did you leap to that conclusion? Also, keep in mind that anime routinely uses terminology or names from religions (especially Christianity) that don't resemble, even remotely, the actual concepts those labels are supposed to represent. It's extremely common. Whatever makes you think this is connected to a specific mythology is probably not an actual connection.

The only real example I can think of (since I don't watch anime often) is Xenosaga, which is the most anime game series I can think of, or maybe even Evangelion.

Edit: Oh, now I see where you made that leap. It is always interesting to me how people on this forum can make huge leaps on such tiny details without any other supporting facts.

Well, titans are kinda similar to jotuns, as they are described in Norse mythology, but it's very much following its own tracks and just carries loose inspirations from it. The author aims to surprise everyone, so taking too much inspiration would ruin his intentions.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Brand new actually. I read somewhere that Subaru made a live action AoT commercial, but I couldn't find it.

And apparently, it also serves as a teaser for an upcoming live action movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQkgmHEA5_E

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Uhhh so last night being bored in this ice storm I went on Netflix and this was there. I had heard good things so I watched a couple of episodes. Well less than 24 hours later I've seen all of season one.

No :stonk: big enough for this show. Now I have no choice but to read the manga.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

Uhhh so last night being bored in this ice storm I went on Netflix and this was there. I had heard good things so I watched a couple of episodes. Well less than 24 hours later I've seen all of season one.

No :stonk: big enough for this show. Now I have no choice but to read the manga.

Yeah it's definitely one of those shows that you just see the first episode and are sold immediately. I have IRL friends who have that "anime is weird and awful because it's all little girl tits and bad english dubs" stigma, and I've just sat them down, said nothing about the show, then played the first episode.

They were blown the gently caress away.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

For anyone going to Anime Boston next month, they'll be showing off the dub at the con.
http://animeboston.com/news/article/460

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

If I had known there was a dub coming out, I would've waited a little longer before watching. I didn't see anything about it, and I hate subs, and now... maaan. Guess I have to watch it again.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What I'm looking forward to is the German dub, so that I can watch that with English subtitles for MAXIMUM IMMERSION

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fister Roboto posted:

What I'm looking forward to is the German dub, so that I can watch that with English subtitles for MAXIMUM IMMERSION
Oh man, that would be something. Sync it up with the OP.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I just watched a behind-the-scenes thing about filming this commercial. I was genuinely surprised to find out the titans were all practical effects touched up with CG, rather than made completely out of CG.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

For anyone going to Anime Boston next month, they'll be showing off the dub at the con.
http://animeboston.com/news/article/460

Has Funimation still not put up a cast list of the dub yet? I'm sure we'll know after Anime Boston, but they usually put up cast lists well before their shows come out on DVD.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Any idea if there's going to be a second Attack on Titan abridged? The first one was hilarious and I want more.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Affi posted:

Any idea if there's going to be a second Attack on Titan abridged? The first one was hilarious and I want more.

The first one got hit by a copyright claim, so probably not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

The first one got hit by a copyright claim, so probably not

Well that sucks. It was really well done, too.

• Locked thread